soon to be taking my exam(NCBTMB) to acquire my license! and need insight.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 772)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Mark in New Port Richey, Florida

87 months ago

I am soon to be taking my exam(NCBTMB) to acquire my license! I bought the Michelle Phillips study guide. I have been studying for a little over a month. It has a ton of practice test, and i do very well 92%-100%. I'm just hoping to get some insight from some LMT that have taken the test and can tell me what to expect. I'm pretty confident about it and also nervous, but that is to be expected. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (67) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Mark Pflieger in New Port Richey, Florida

87 months ago

Not ONE LMT can give me insight?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

KnewWisdom in Hawley, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

Study-study-study, and review all of your notes and previous tests from school, review all of the questions in your text books, and review your study guide. Know all muscles and attachement sites. When I took the test, it was challenging, and as soon as I relaxed, I actually had fun taking it. You have to put your purse, etc, in a locker, and you get some scrap paper and pencil to take into the little cublicle test site (which is helpful). It's all computer driven. I forget how many questions there are in 5 categories. It's multiple choice, with 4 possible answers, 2 of which are rediculous, and can be ruled out fairly quicly. The remaining two are the real challenge, where you will need to know the material. You get pass/fail and get to know how you did in each category, however, you do not get a specific grade. I am SURE you will do fine!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Pete in Deerfield Beach, Florida

87 months ago

Make sure your know your Eastern modalities and anatomy, etc.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

devinder singh in Olney, Maryland

86 months ago

Check the study guide sent by NCBTMB and study each and every topic in it. Particularly, give more concentration on
functional assessment questions, like if arm is not moving which muscle is involved,
if leg is not moving which muscle is involved, Range of Motion and what type of massage you will do for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Mark Pflieger in Clearwater, Florida

86 months ago

I have already taken it and passed! it was easy and i was well prepared

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

t peaches in miami, Florida

85 months ago

Mark Pflieger in Clearwater, Florida said: I have already taken it and passed! it was easy and i was well prepared

what guides did u use 2 study with?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Clearwater, Florida

85 months ago

t peaches in miami, Florida said: what guides did u use 2 study with?

I used the Michelle Phillips study guide and the examreview.com
study guide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

t peaches in miami, Florida

85 months ago

Mark would you happen to have a email address or a number i could contact you with, I have a few further questions to ask if you dont mind?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mark Pflieger in Clearwater, Florida

85 months ago

no, feel free always willing to help. e-mail addy is fourtrax91@verizon.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gabriela in West Palm Beach, Florida

83 months ago

I didin't past in december give me a call 561-5021457 we can chat

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Latasha Mccollum in Kenner, Louisiana

83 months ago

Mark in Clearwater, Florida said: I used the Michelle Phillips study guide and the examreview.com
study guide.

where can I get a michelle phillips book from I took the exam twice and I failed. I need all the help that I can get.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Douglas in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

83 months ago

You can get Michelle Phillips' study guides at www.massagereview.com. The name of the company publishing the study guides is Massage Review Publications.

Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Sarasota, Florida

82 months ago

So I'm studying now, and I plan on retaking it on February 28th. If anyone can still inform me on anything that can be helpful to study, please let me know. Send me positive motivational energy, love, and luck on my second try. Bless you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Philip Martin McCaulay in Austin, Texas

82 months ago

Take the practice exams and keep track of which sections are the most difficult for you. Then go back and study the material from that section of the exam, and take another practice exam. Keep doing this over and over until the practice exams become very easy for you. Then you will be have the confidence and the knowledge to pass the national exam.

Do not worry about getting every question right. If you get all the easy questions right, most of the average questions right, and about half of the hardest questions right, then you will have more than enough correct answers to pass. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

jocelyn in Middlebury, Connecticut

82 months ago

for those who are about to take there license. Let me tell you something. I took mine almost a year half ago, and i been practicing for almost 13 months now. First you dont need a study book. It will never help you in the questions, because i tried to use it to study not a single question was there. I was lucky enough to get the question that i have so much knowledge about. But one this is for sure study your Anatomy and Physiology, kinesiology, and other science subject. Im sure you will always have question about this topic atleast 50 to 60 %. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Griffin Kanter in Houston, Texas

82 months ago

Mark in Clearwater, Florida said: I used the Michelle Phillips study guide and the examreview.com
study guide.

I went to examreview.com and didn't find anything related to massage or the NCBTMB test. Can you provide more information as to the author and title of the review you used or guidance on how to find it on the website?
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

M in Atlanta, Georgia

82 months ago

Go back to the website. The first set of books $79.95 is the set for preparing for the test. 7000-10 or something like that. Click on the picture and the next screen will give you details of the content and purpose of the material. Plus, it is a pass or fail money back guarantee.

Good Luck

Griffin Kanter in Houston, Texas said: I went to examreview.com and didn't find anything related to massage or the NCBTMB test. Can you provide more information as to the author and title of the review you used or guidance on how to find it on the website?
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

I think I misunderstood your posting. I did go to massage review publications website and ordered Michelle Phillips books. When I went to the website address in your posting of examreview.com, I did not see anything related to massage. So thanks for the recommendation of Ms. Phillips books!

A friend in St. Louis, who passed the NCBTMB bodywork exam in 2007, also recommended her books.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Massage Therapist (no more) in Hyattsville, Maryland

82 months ago

First know your anatomy and physiology that's the most important. Secondly know the major merdians and the elements according to chinese medicine (although this has absolutely nothing to do with western massage). Good luck !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lorna in Portland, Oregon

82 months ago

I just found this forum, its awesome!

I wanted to let everyone know that a few other LMT's and I have put together a website to help you prepare for your massage exams (NCETM/TMB and MBLEx). Check it out:

www.massage-exam.com

Our motivation for the site, stemmed from not finding an affordable online 24hour access practice site. So here we are.

Let me know if you have any questions about our site.

Good Luck Everyone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

losteskimo in Salinas, California

82 months ago

The site Mark is referring to is: www.examreviews.com. I used the following study guides: 1. Review for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork Certification (By Joseph Ashton/Duke Cassel) 2. The Ultimate Study Guide for the National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork: Key Review Questions and Answers (by Dr. patrick Leonardi) - Comes in three volumes. The first book listed is very well organized and provides a very good overview/refresher. The next book listed comes in 3 separate volumes. They contain a whole bunch of questions and answers (951 in volume 1; 492 in volume 2; 492 in volume 3). If you can answer all of those questions correctly then you're more than ready for the exam. The format of the questions are not at all similiar to the exam but if you know the content then you're good to go. I passed the exam on my first try with these books and also did check out some FREE exam questions posted on on-line sites (one of which was www.examreviews.com). There was a lot of meridians and five element theory stuff on the exam. So make sure to memorize everything there! Hope that helps...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

losteskimo in Salinas, California

82 months ago

This just in... those of you who haven't taken the National Certification test from NCBTMB yet might want to hold off. As of Oct 2007 there is a new certification test introduced. You might want to make sure which test your particular state requires (if any). See the following website: www.fsmtb.org/ But if you want to take the test from NCBTMB anyway (whether or not it is required... just to prove you can pass) then more power to you! I'm from California. It's too political and no one can agree to decide how to regulate massage. So no standardizations or required testing in most of California... which is a shame. I would rather every massage therapist have at least the same minimum standards of practise/knowledge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

In Texas, you now have a choice of 3 exams to take. The two from NCBTNB: massage and bodywork or just the massage. The third option is from www.fsmtb.org that Iosteskimo listed. The last one is cheaper!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Anniston, Alabama

82 months ago

Latasha Mccollum in Kenner, Louisiana said: where can I get a michelle phillips book from I took the exam twice and I failed. I need all the help that I can get.

Go to Massagereview.com and you can order the books there. You can order the two volumes alone, or the two volumes with the test cd rom. You can also get the eastern massage exam book there as well. The prices will vary depending on what you wish to purchase. With ordering from this site, they guarantee that you will pass and offer a guarantee to that effect. I got my books through them. I am taking my test April 3rd.

gervi in Little River, South Carolina

82 months ago

hello everyone...
am in the way of preparing my mind set for the exam, just wanting to earn a license as a massage therapist in our area. ihave taken down notes on the websites mentioned above. i still have along way to go for the review.

where can i go to take one?
pls help. thanks a lot.

82 months ago

The NCBTMB website has information on finding a testing location. They have contracted with Pearson Vue to do the testing. In Houston, for example, we have two locations. Good luck!

Chris in Sarasota, Florida

82 months ago

So after being out of school for a year and failing the national exam october 07', I finally passed! I studied my ass off for two weeks, no t.v., no wine at night, just studied everyday. I took it yesterday (FEB 28th) and PASSED!! I'm extremely thrilled and my only advice is that you have the material, just focus and don't stop studying. I felt more prepared this time around, even though there were some questions i've never heard of. Good Luck to everyone taking it, and those who have failed (me being one of them) DON'T GIVE UP! I have faith in you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Yeah Chris!! Congrats! Major milestone accomplished!

Lisa

82 months ago

Congrats on passing the exam!.. If you think you waited awhile you should hear about my situation... I completed the massage therapy certification in 2002 and failed the Licensing exam at that time. Because I had an excellant career going in IT I lost interest in attaining my License. I am now moving to a much larger, more competitive city and would like to practice over the weekends. Yeah, never had weekends off!

Finally, I am interested in a retake. Considering you took your exam 1 year after your courses you may have some information you can help me with. Do you know where I can find my requirements for a retake after this long a perioud (taking into consideration I was never licensed)?

FYI... This blog has been so informative on where to find the books, what to study and so forth that all but that one question is answered? Can you help? Anyone?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

losteskimo in Oakland, California

82 months ago

Depends which exam you were looking at taking... the NCBTMB or the MBLE. For the NCBTMB you can go to www.ncbtmb.com/applicants_candidate_handbook.php and download a copy of the candidate handbook which will have all the information you need for applying for the exam. For the MBLE go to www.fsmtb.org and click on the link "Candidate Handbook" to download a copy. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lorna in Salem, Oregon

82 months ago

You can find state information on my website: www.massage-exam.com

Just click on the state and you can find all the information that I have collected thus far on your state. Even after all this time you really only need to contact your State Board and check their requirements. The situation may be that you need to pass the National or the New MBLEx. If the state gives you the choice I would recommend the MBLEx it is less money, more massage basics related and gives you a license not just a certificate.

Good Luck and have fun...

Lorna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Whittier, California

82 months ago

You're the best! Awesome info... Question-- do you think I'll have any problems with registering considering it's been a while since I took the classes?

Lisa in Whittier, California

82 months ago

I read the 1st message and not the 2nd-- the 2nd one actually answered my question perfectly. Thanks again!

M&M in Orlando, Florida

81 months ago

has anyone ever hear of Massage Prep?

Sandra in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

Griffin Kanter in Houston, Texas said: Yeah Chris!! Congrats! Major milestone accomplished!

Where did you go to school in Houston? I just graduated in December and finished my internship in January. I just wanted to know the difference between the 2 exams they offer in Houston.
Thanks

Lorna in Salem, Oregon

81 months ago

I wanted to let you know of the information I have compiled so far for Texas. Check out my state page and let me know what you think, or even what info I am missing.

www.massage-exam.com/texas-massage.php

Good Luck! Talk to you soon.

Lorna

Bonnie Hodges

81 months ago

Would you believe I have failed the National Cert. 3 times. The state of Virginia has not approved the MBLEX exam. I have ran out of money.I was 12 pts. away when I toke the last one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lorna in Portland, Oregon

81 months ago

Bonnie,

I am sorry to hear you haven't passed the NCETMB, 12 points is so close. Many times we go into a test and we are confident we will pass, but then anxiety sets in. That is one on the many reasons we put together our study site. We have multiple-choice questions so you can practice on a computer setting with format and massage curriculum content.

Our NCETMB page of our site also has testing tips, you may have already used some of them. But it is also comforting to know you are not alone. We are hoping the information we provide will help in some way.

Please check out our test tips link. Good Luck!...... You have the passion and the drive, don’t give up it you will prevail.

www.massage-exam.com/ncetmb.php

Lorna

Nolan Lee in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

80 months ago

I think M&M hit on a great site in MassagePrep.com. I have using that site for a month already and it coners everything! There are 13 mock NCBTM tests, at least 10 mocks of the NCETM and it covers all of the subjects from the respiratory system, CPR, Oriental Modalities, Integumentary System, Endocrine System, etc.

I am super ready for my Nationals...I'm at 80-85% marks on the mock NCBTM's.

rachelle in Spring Hill, Florida

80 months ago

Chris in Sarasota, Florida said: So after being out of school for a year and failing the national exam october 07', I finally passed! I studied my ass off for two weeks, no t.v., no wine at night, just studied everyday. I took it yesterday (FEB 28th) and PASSED!! I'm extremely thrilled and my only advice is that you have the material, just focus and don't stop studying. I felt more prepared this time around, even though there were some questions i've never heard of. Good Luck to everyone taking it, and those who have failed (me being one of them) DON'T GIVE UP! I have faith in you!

i have also taken the test not once but twice.... errr! both times failed by one point.i thought my test anxiety was bad before, i get heart palpitations just thinking bout it.i've tried visualizing and montras, anything to calm myself down. it's been two years since i've taken it and just started studying again. i shouldn't have waited so long but i kind of gave up. but retail just isn't making the bills! plz let me know if anyone has an idea of what else i could try. i'm to the point where i just might get a valium perscription and try the test with that.

Bonnie Hodges

80 months ago

i Think ther are some medications for testing anxiety, I have talked to my doctor about it.I know this stuff and there is special circumstances that they may let you take it on paper,call them. I have began to think that this is all about money and I don't have much of.

christi in Jacksonville, Florida

80 months ago

Mark in New Port Richey, Florida said: I am soon to be taking my exam(NCBTMB) to acquire my license! I bought the Michelle Phillips study guide. I have been studying for a little over a month. It has a ton of practice test, and i do very well 92%-100%. I'm just hoping to get some insight from some LMT that have taken the test and can tell me what to expect. I'm pretty confident about it and also nervous, but that is to be expected. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you![/QUOT
i have taken the exam 3 times and failed i take it again at the end of the month, all i can say is that you have to know every thing read the question fully before you answer and take your time dont rush

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Latasha Mccollum in Metairie, Louisiana

80 months ago

Mark Pflieger in Clearwater, Florida said: I have already taken it and passed! it was easy and i was well prepared

What did u use to study with

Brandon in Omaha, Nebraska

80 months ago

Just wondering what is percentage that you need to pass this test. I am taking it in 5 days.

sheron johnson in Dallas, Texas

80 months ago

I am scheduled to take the texas state exam in may. What do I need to study to pass. I have studied the MNichell Phillips books. Will this prepare me. TExas state doesnn't offer a study guide.

Bonnie Hodges

80 months ago

The NCETMB offers a study guide. Go to their website C.D or study guide. I have also did some practice test online.

80 months ago

The state exam in Texas that is currently being given is still for those graduates from a 300-hr program in massage schools. I'm nationally certificated and on the faculty of Houston School of Massage in Houston, TX. The state exam is actually a pretty simple test -- much simplier than the national certification exams. Did you go to school in Texas? If not, I'd be happy to talk with you about what to focus on for the state tests. The Michelle Phillips books are 'harder' than what you need to know for the state exam. You can contact me at griffin_k@hotmail.com. Good luck either way!

80 months ago

you need a 200

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

also find the practice exams online

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.