Internationally Massage Qualifications

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 219)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Cora2 in Brisbane, Australia

83 months ago

Hello,

I've been doing massage for 3 years now - I'm from Australia... Is there anyone here that can tell me what I need to be able to practice massage Legally in another Country. For example, Canada, USA or the UK...

I just don't want to waste my time with more study, then travel and not be employable for it. I can legally live and work in the UK, so if it's better for my career, I can do more training there...

Some advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Cora

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Richmond, Virginia

80 months ago

Cora2 in Brisbane, Australia said: Hello,

I've been doing massage for 3 years now - I'm from Australia... Is there anyone here that can tell me what I need to be able to practice massage Legally in another Country. For example, Canada, USA or the UK...

I just don't want to waste my time with more study, then travel and not be employable for it. I can legally live and work in the UK, so if it's better for my career, I can do more training there...

Thanks,
Cora

I know the US has a state test you have to take to get certified on the federal level...and I think you need to have at least 500 hours of school/practical work.... but things vary state to state and even county to county...I'm sure there is a link...google national massage therapy council or something along those lines...

From the flip side, what's Australia's laws? Do you know anything about New Zealand...I'm in the process of getting my certification in the US and will fill you in on details...!!!

Thanks for the good karma...keep it passing!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

michael petryshyn in Rutherford, New Jersey

78 months ago

Hey Im a LMT in NYC also Hawaii Im really wanting to move to spain does anyone pleeeeeeeassssse have some info to help guide me to make this happen!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sweden in Västerhaninge, Sweden

78 months ago

Rachel in Portland, Oregon said: I am looking into moving to Sweden for a few years and can't find out what I need to do become licensed as a massage therapist there. I am already licensed in Washington & Oregon. Does anyone know of a website for Sweden?

Thanks for your help!

look her,

Swedish Massage Advisory Council
www.svenskmassage.se

molly in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin

77 months ago

Cori in Dallas, Texas said: Is there a test you need to take to become certified to do massage or medical qi gong in New Zealand? My Husband who is in Chiropractic school and i plan on opening a clinic in New Zealand. But i can't find anything on a test. thanks for any info!

heyy my name is molly and live in the US. I'm going to massage school in march and hope to move to new zealand after i graduate. if you do become successful in opening something, i'd love to work for you! :D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Matthew in Warren, Arkansas

77 months ago

I am from the USA and I still live here, though my girlfriend is from Spain and can speak english, spanish, italian, and swedish. So I was wondering what qualifications are required in Sweden, Spain, Italy, and Norway. I need to know if I am going to be required to take more school in any of these countries or a national exam. I cannot find a website that provides this information. So if anyone could answer me or prvide any help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have 500 hours of school and have passed the National exam.

Massage in Missoula in Missoula, Montana

77 months ago

Hi Cora2,

I practice in Montana and I worked at a massage school here. We have no licensing requirements in Montana.

I have also worked in California and when I lived there the licensing was different city to city and county to county. If you know where you want to locate in the USA I bet someone could help you better. Washington and Oregon have state licensing.

I wish you lots of clients and safe travels.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hope in Bristol, United Kingdom

77 months ago

Hi

hope you can help.

I'm a UK trained massage and holistic therapist ( ITEC and NVQ's level 3)
I want to work in the US and was wondering is massage therapists a recognized profession to qualify for a work visa?
want to move to WI.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dina in Mount Shasta, California

76 months ago

Hi,

I would think that being a Massage Therapist would qualify on a U.S.
work visa, but I'd suggest you contact the American Consulate and ask
them. Every state in the U.S. has their own regulations as to how many
hours you need of school to be a certified Massage Therapist. At this
time, in California the state is working on passing a bill that would
put all Practitioners and Therapists of massage on a level playing field,
250 hrs. for Practitioner and 500 hrs. for Therapist. As it stands now
the entire state of California has different requirements per county!

If you have any info on how many hours I would need to qualify in the
U.K., and if I could apply for a work visa as a Massage Therapist I'd
appreciate any information you may have! I want to work legally when I
travel again to Scotland but haven't found any requirements yet,though
I am going to call the British Consulate in London and ask!

Cheers,
Dina ...good luck with your move!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dina in Mount Shasta, California

76 months ago

Avvi in Branson, Missouri said: Hi Cora!
I am a licensed massage therapist in the USA who learned massage at a school (Canterbury College of Natural Medicine) in New Zealand. The US has a national certification test that all therapists must pass to then be allowed to obtain a state license in the state they wish to practice massage. To qualify for the national exam you must meet the criteria they have agreed upon for education . If the school you went to is not in their list of qualified schools (mine was not) you must complete an extra process called an education review. I won't lie that it was quite a process to go through to get completely legal, but if you really want to work it, it can be managed. I can't remember the site off the top of my head but if you search US national massage certification it should get you right to the official government page. It should be fairly easy to follow once you get there!!
Hope this is helpful!
Cheers!

In California, as it now stands, you do not need to have taken
the National Exam to be a Certified Massage Therapist. Even after
taking the U.S. National Exam for Massage Therapy, if you are practicing
in one state and move to another, you will need to adhere to the new
states requirements. Again, as was stated it can be done...if you want
something, nothing can stop you but you!

good luck :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

linda@onsentherapy.com in Kelowna, British Columbia

76 months ago

Cora in Brisbane, Australia said: Thank you :)

The Certification Board in the USA is know as NCBTMB, National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork,www.ncbtmb.org

Once unkown 12 years ago they have gained momentum in the number of Massage therapists who want to join this organization. About 1/2 the states require their licencing, while the other half dont even have a licence requirement- Idaho is one of those states as is Monatana- at last count..... So You need to research= the NCBTMB even put out a state information guide as to who is on board and who doesnt require licencing or boards, so you need to check out every state.....for requirements and type of massage you are doing....
good luck
linda

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kilford34@hotmail.com in Sundbyberg, Sweden

74 months ago

Hello everyone,

I am a 30yr woman living in Stockholm Sweden with my partner, I have no qualifications in massage but I was hoping to study massage here. Unfortunately none of the schools here seem to offer a course given in English, I am learning Swedish but I would really like to get started. I have been considering signing up to an online course but I am very hesitant as there does not seem to be any practical examination - this seem VERY odd as massage is all about hands on!!

I would really, really appreciate anyone's advice, can anyone recommend an online course or ideas, I really do not want to give up my dream :-(

Thanks

Rowena

howard.bailes@gmail.com in Houston, Texas

74 months ago

Approximately 39 states require licenses for massage therapists. The first step is to determine the state you want to work in then determine the exact requirements for that state. Some accept the national certification some do not. You can also get involved in Decompression Massage whick is a new FDA approved tissue renewal system that is really expanding quickly. www.dmthealth.com Good luck.

wynchalray in Las Vegas, Nevada

74 months ago

I am moving to Larvik, Norway and am a licensed massage therapist in the United States. Can anyone tell me what the qualifications are in Norway?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Austin, Texas

73 months ago

Hi, my family & I will be moving to NZ in a few months. My husband is a kiwi- so citizenship should be granted. I am just now looking into what I need to do to practice massage in NZ. I have 630 hours of school, licensed & have been practicing four and half years.
Does anyone know who I should contact to get this going?
Thanks for your help in advance!
Angela

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

yanis in London, United Kingdom

73 months ago

hello every1.
well i have had an interest in massaging for now few years,mostly practised
on friends.
i would need to know if i could work in the uk before bing qualified.
thank you for your interest and replies,well if you do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cheekycherub1970 in York, United Kingdom

72 months ago

Dina in Mount Shasta, California said: Does anyone have an answer to what I would need to be able to legally set up
a massage practice in the U.K....I'm a massage practitioner in California now
and am continuing to my 500 hours to become a Therapist as California is looking
to pass a bill in Sept. 2009 that will state, 250 hrs for Practitioner, 500 hrs. for Therapist.

I've looked on sites for the U.K., even the immigration site as we'd like to buy land and eventually relocate to Scotland but I didn't see anything for this type of business! Are there specific hours required in Scotland or the U.K. in general to practice. Any info would be appreciated, it's been hard trying to find out so far! I do know that to set up your own business in the U.K. the immigration site says you must have the equivalent of $200,000.00 GBP in the bank, but that sounds like a store front business, certainly not needed to do massage out of a home~

thanks,
Dina L. Tikkanen

Hello,

The Government are asking you for this much money, so you have money to pay the rent or morgage on the building as well as for living, without claiming any type of Government funds.
I am a massage therapist and teacher of massage and Beauty therapy for the last 18yrs.I have worked in the Bahamas and on cruise ships. Most salons and insurance companies ask for NVQ level 2 or above to practice here, but it's a case of having the hours and experience to get a job and a whole lot of references.
You have to worry more about Visa's as much as getting a job as a therapist.The laws in Britain are getting harder, as far as a foreigner working here. You coud apply for a job and hope the employer will give get you a work permit. If you are married to a British citizian, it would be easier, but still most salons are looking for experience as well as clientele.
there are many job sites, hre are a few...
spaopportunities.com
redhotcareers.co.uk
beautyjobsonline.com
leisurejobs.co.uk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

mayqueen27 in Mount Shasta, California

72 months ago

Thanks Cheeky, great to have the information. I'm still practicing massage but am focusing on a more lucrative business that also allows me to help people, but in a different way!

Cheers
Dina bit.ly/svCX

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sharyon in Austin, Texas

72 months ago

Angela in Austin, Texas said: Hi, my family & I will be moving to NZ in a few months. My husband is a kiwi- so citizenship should be granted. I am just now looking into what I need to do to practice massage in NZ. I have 630 hours of school, licensed & have been practicing four and half years.
Angela

Hi Angela

I am from New Zealand and have just gratuated from the Boulder School of Massage. Now living in Austin for a while.

Try www.massagenewzealand.org

There is information and people to contact.
Let me know if I can give anymore help.

Good Luck
Sharyon

good luck

sharyon in Austin, Texas

72 months ago

Angela in Austin, Texas said: Hi, my family & I will be moving to NZ in a few months. My husband is a kiwi- so citizenship should be granted. I am just now looking into what I need to do to practice massage in NZ. I have 630 hours of school, licensed & have been practicing four and half years.
Angela

Hi Angela

I am from New Zealand and have just gratuated from the Boulder School of Massage. Now living in Austin for a while.

Let me know if I can give anymore help.

Good Luck
Sharyon

breanda in Kingstown, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

72 months ago

i will love to experince massages service

peggyleigh in Halifax, Nova Scotia

72 months ago

Hello,
Here is the information for the person asking about practising in Canada.

The national standard for the Canadian Massage Therapy Association is a minimum of 2200 hours and the member associations (in seven provinces and one territory) adhere to these standards. The standard in British Columbia is 3000 hours.

Yes, you read that correctly. Our training in Canada is a minimum of two years and you must pass a written and practical exam in each province in order to become licensed and work there.

Having said that, I am finishing my first year and hope to go to Spain or Greece, but unsure if I will be able to find only seasonal work, which I do not want. I want to work all year long. Any suggestions on work for me in the Med?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

moppie. in Amsterdam, Netherlands

71 months ago

Hi,
I,m studying massage in the netherlands{amsterdam}.The teacher can only give me a certificate of attendance and not a diploma.I understand that you do not need a licence to practice in holland but I would much prefer to recieve a qualification for my training.My only problem is the language,my dutch isnt up to scratch and I was just wondering if anyone knows where i can study in the netherlands in english and get a qualification for it.
Thanks,
Eileen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deborah in United Kingdom

71 months ago

peggyleigh in Halifax, Nova Scotia said: Hello,
Here is the information for the person asking about practising in Canada.

The national standard for the Canadian Massage Therapy Association is a minimum of 2200 hours and the member associations (in seven provinces and one territory) adhere to these standards. The standard in British Columbia is 3000 hours.

Yes, you read that correctly. Our training in Canada is a minimum of two years and you must pass a written and practical exam in each province in order to become licensed and work there.

Having said that, I am finishing my first year and hope to go to Spain or Greece, but unsure if I will be able to find only seasonal work, which I do not want. I want to work all year long. Any suggestions on work for me in the Med?

Thanks

I have looked at both the Canadian government website and ontario registered massage therapists sites, it appears some colleges do offer a 'bridging course' for those with qualifications outside of Ontario. You also have to sit examinations if trained outwith Ontario..Credential and Prior Learning Assessment (CPLA).. which itself incurs costs..

I am hoping to train here in the UK and move back to Ontario within a year or so.. has anyone trained in UK and registered in Ontario.. if so what qualifications to you have?? NVQ or ihit??

Help and guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ann Aura in Zürich, Switzerland

71 months ago

Does anyone know what the requirements are for doing massage in Spain? I have US & Swiss citizenship, and 750 hours nationally licensed in the USA. would love to know how this works, also how to get spa work on a cruise ship?

Chris in Trelleborg, Sweden

70 months ago

For all of you who have questions about working/learning in sweden;
anyone can call themselves a masseur or masseus, its not a protected title.

You can get a diploma from any kind of school, from a weekend course up to several years. Since its not a protected title I could write a diploma myself to anyone after an hour of training.

But remember that about 95% of all masseurs in sweden have their own business, employments are rare.

Here are som info from The Swedish Massage Advisory Council:
www.svenskmassage.se/sve/start/english.php

Becoming a certified masseur
Students in a Swedish Massage Advisory Council member school take the certification test at the end of their courses. However, this test, which consists of a theoretical and a practical part, is open to anyone who has completed a qualified massage course. The basis of the certification includes the results of the tests and a student assessment by the relevant school leadership. The certification test is on a national level and provides masseurs with opportunity to show that they have completed a serious training course and work in a professional manner.

Instructions for good course design
The majority of Sweden.s masseurs are trained at one of our member schools. This has provided us with broad experience of massage training and working conditions for therapists. Our ambition is to contribute to the implementation of high quality courses which do not only provide students with the opportunity to work professionally for a living, but also develop them as professionals.

Viktor Bek in Princeton, New Jersey

70 months ago

correction needed:
1) only 30-some out of 52 states recognize NCTMB
2) some states have no mandatory license just voluntary certification
3) few states have neither one: set up you shop as long as you are not braking any local lawas or ordinaces or zonings
4) few states have their own exams and do not recognize NCTMB at all

start your research with www.massagemag.com maps and state links

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ATCCMT7 in Clementon, New Jersey

70 months ago

Matthew in Warren, Arkansas said: I am from the USA and I still live here, though my girlfriend is from Spain and can speak english, spanish, italian, and swedish. So I was wondering what qualifications are required in Sweden, Spain, Italy, and Norway. I need to know if I am going to be required to take more school in any of these countries or a national exam. I cannot find a website that provides this information. So if anyone could answer me or prvide any help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have been a nationally certified Massage therapist for 9 years and would like to move to Italy so my fiance and I can finally get married. I need to beable to work and have had no luck finding out about certifications in Italy or what I need to do to practice massage there. Can anyone help??????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

johnnymorrison66 in London, United Kingdom

70 months ago

At present the UK massage industry, and indeed most complimentary/alternative therapies (excluding some more advanced areas like Osteopathy/physiotherapy etc), are unregulated. Consequently it's more about preparing for any future regulations rather than having to comply with them! On a more practical level if you were to seek to be fully insured and registered with a voluntary regulatory body then those organisations would certainly require you to show evidence of qualifications/insurance etc. Unfortunately it's a bit like a self oiling axle! the voluntary regulatory organisations are sometimes very closely linked to the training/ awards and insurance companies. So here in the UK the best thing any genuinely trained and insured therapist could hope for would be a truely independent compulsory regulatory body. On a practical level ITEC is a big organistion that provides massage therapy tuition sylabus, although private or state colleges actually provide the tuition. The level three Diplomas can be studied part time or at night school and this seems to be the minimum some other countries require as part of migration rules.I find the Complimentary Therapists Association (CThA has a website)to have very reasonable insurance rates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

johnnymorrison66 in London, United Kingdom

70 months ago

Just a question, who gets the 3000 hours worth of free massages you need to qualify! and how would any student find the time to work to support themselves in the meantime?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

afferganges@yahoo.com in Singapore, Singapore

70 months ago

i've been a certified massage therapist here in singapore for about 6 years now - generally worked at the airport catering to arriving/departing passengers in the transit lounges - i do taiwanese foot reflexology/shiatsu/deep tissue with oil/chair massage/mani-pedi.

i really want to relocate outta here and try getting work in the US - ideally in a "non-hassle" state like Montana as per what Massage in Missoula had posted earlier. If anyone can furnish me with any additional info at all to the above, i would really appreciate it loads.

Gennan in Perugia, Italy

70 months ago

ATCCMT7 in Clementon, New Jersey said: I have been a nationally certified Massage therapist for 9 years and would like to move to Italy so my fiance and I can finally get married. I need to beable to work and have had no luck finding out about certifications in Italy or what I need to do to practice massage there. Can anyone help??????

I just contacted a massage school in Italy and asked about qualifications and they told me that in Italy there is no law regulating who can/cannot practice massage. They went on to say that individual salons/hotels/resorts would have specific qualifications for assuming someone to that position. I don't know what Italian law says about starting your own practice, however.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

afferganges@yahoo.com in Singapore, Singapore

70 months ago

hmmm...that sounds interesting - will do a check and see what's it all about - thanks for the heads-up Gennan - cheers!

massagebydonna in Richmond, Virginia

70 months ago

I'm from the USA, nationally licensed massage therapist practicing for 3 years in the U.S. I would love to move to Europe (Frane, Italy or Switzerland) or Greece, and have no idea where to start, in order to find the requirements of doing so. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as far as spas, etc.

massagebydonna in Richmond, Virginia

70 months ago

Sorry for the typo! France!

Mega in Clementon, New Jersey

70 months ago

Matthew in Warren, Arkansas said: I am from the USA and I still live here, though my girlfriend is from Spain and can speak english, spanish, italian, and swedish. So I was wondering what qualifications are required in Sweden, Spain, Italy, and Norway. I need to know if I am going to be required to take more school in any of these countries or a national exam. I cannot find a website that provides this information. So if anyone could answer me or prvide any help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I am also looking to move to Italy to be with my boyfriend and family. I have been a CMT for 9 years..I have heard that there is no regulation in Italy for massage, but each place of employment has different requirements. The hardest part for Americans going to Italy is getting a visa. I don't believe they will give a work visa for massage therapist, as this isn't under the jobs that they will give a visa for. I hope this helps and I will forward on any new information I get, as I am always researching. I would appreciate any information you find, as well. Thanks and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Megan in Clementon, New Jersey

70 months ago

Gennan in Perugia, Italy said: I just contacted a massage school in Italy and asked about qualifications and they told me that in Italy there is no law regulating who can/cannot practice massage. They went on to say that individual salons/hotels/resorts would have specific qualifications for assuming someone to that position. I don't know what Italian law says about starting your own practice, however.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Megan in Clementon, New Jersey

70 months ago

massagebydonna in Richmond, Virginia said: I'm from the USA, nationally licensed massage therapist practicing for 3 years in the U.S. I would love to move to Europe (Frane, Italy or Switzerland) or Greece, and have no idea where to start, in order to find the requirements of doing so. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as far as spas, etc.

I am trying to move to Italy to be with my boyfriend and his f amily. I have been a CMT for 9 years. I was told by someone else on this site that there is no regulation for Massage in Italy but each employer has different regulations. I have found the hardest part to be getting a visa...It is alot of paperwork for the employer, which no one is fond of...and for Americans there are only certain jobs that you can do in Italy to obtain a visa, and I am learning that Massage is not one of them. I hope this was somewhat helpful and will keep you updated if and when I find out more. I would appreciate anything you know or find out. I am looking to go there in Sept./Oct. I have my house rented and am in the process of selling all of my stuff. Thanks and Good Luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

yesha in Old Bridge, New Jersey

70 months ago

Hi,
I am in USA on H4 visa. I recently completed massage therapy programm. What should i do next to get work permission(as massage therapist) in USA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Megan in Swedesboro, New Jersey

70 months ago

yesha in Old Bridge, New Jersey said: Hi,
I am in USA on H4 visa. I recently completed massage therapy programm. What should i do next to get work permission(as massage therapist) in USA?

Well it depends what state you are in. Each state has different laws, some don't have any, like Pennslyvania but anywhere reputable will want you to be nationally certified. So I would check with the National Certification of Therapuetic massage and bodywork. they have a website which should come up if you google that. Then you would need to search the state standards. The school you go to should beable to help you with all of that, including finding a job. Good luck!!!

Megan in Swedesboro, New Jersey

70 months ago

Sorry just saw that you are in New Jersey. New Jersey has a state licensure requirement. you can find the information and application on the following website www.NJConsumerAffairs.gov/medical/nursing.htm
There are 3 different ways you can obtain licensure. I hope this helps. If you need anything else, feel free to ask. Good luck!

dennisjf in Sydney, Australia

69 months ago

moppie. in Amsterdam, Netherlands said: Hi,
I,m studying massage in the netherlands{amsterdam}.The teacher can only give me a certificate of attendance and not a diploma.I understand that you do not need a licence to practice in holland but I would much prefer to recieve a qualification for my training.My only problem is the language,my dutch isnt up to scratch and I was just wondering if anyone knows where i can study in the netherlands in english and get a qualification for it.
Thanks,
Eileen

Hi Moppie, I hope you still check this site! I am Australian and will be in Amsterdam in a couple of months. I have just finished studying massage and want to set up business over there. You mentioned that massage is not registered/regulated or licensed in the Netherlands, is this true? I'm sorry I can't provide an answer to your question and I would really appreciate any helpfull advice you may have for me regarding work over there.
Thanks (very hopefull that you answer)
dennis

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michael in Estepona, Spain

69 months ago

Thanks,
Cora

I know you will not be able to work in canada as they hold very high standards....I think 2000 hours of study. In respects to the states, different states have different requirments....good luck...you can contact me on rumi90'hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

debbie in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

69 months ago

Avvi in Branson, Missouri said: Hi Cora!
I am a licensed massage therapist in the USA who learned massage at a school (Canterbury College of Natural Medicine) in New Zealand. The US has a national certification test that all therapists must pass to then be allowed to obtain a state license in the state they wish to practice massage. To qualify for the national exam you must meet the criteria they have agreed upon for education. If the school you went to is not in their list of qualified schools (mine was not) you must complete an extra process called an education review. I won't lie that it was quite a process to go through to get completely legal, but if you really want to work it, it can be managed. I can't remember the site off the top of my head but if you search US national massage certification it should get you right to the official government page. It should be fairly easy to follow once you get there!!
Hope this is helpful!
Cheers!

National certification for Thereputic massage and bodywork
ncbtmb.org

Laura in London, United Kingdom

68 months ago

Hello - I have been trying to work out if someone has already answered this question already - but I am not sure if they have.

I am qualified in Holistic Massage (ITEC) and Indian Head Massage (IIHHT).

I am planning to move to Spain next year and wondered if anyone can tell me if I would be qualified to either work as a sole trader or get a job in a clinic?

I also want to study another treatment before I leave - and am trying to find out what is popular and which qualifications are accepted before I make this decision.

Can anyone help?

Thanks - Laura

katie in Toronto, Ontario

68 months ago

johnnymorrison66 in London, United Kingdom said: Just a question, who gets the 3000 hours worth of free massages you need to qualify! and how would any student find the time to work to support themselves in the meantime?

It is very difficult to work while doing the 3000 or 2200 hr. program in Canada. The schools offer a public clinic for students to get their clinic hours. It is literally a cash cow for the school as the students and the public are both paying to give/receive massage.

Lena in Thessaloníki, Greece

68 months ago

I too would like to know how one qualifies as an Alternative therapist, and which alternative therapies one can qualify for in GREECE?

Can anyone advise?

Thanks Lena

Pete Spairring in Renton, Washington

68 months ago

Thanks,
Cora

Good Luck, right know I wouldn't consider any possibilities of coming to america and doing massage. If Obama gets his way and passes this health care program everything in america will change and most massage therapist in america will have to look for something else to do for work. He is talking about a fedral health care plan and on the fedral level their is no reimbursement for massage therapy because all 50 states do not have high enough requirements for massage licensing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Megan in Camden, New Jersey

68 months ago

That response would only be for massage that was being billed through insurance. If you are working in a Salon or Spa, insurances are not billed so the universal health care would not be an issue. I suggest you look at the National Certification for Massage Therapy and Bodywork website and email them about your education and see if you would be eligible for certification or to sit for the exam. Then each state has different licensure laws, so I would check each states website that you are considering working in and see what their requirements are. Good Luck!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

goofygreen in Newport Beach, California

68 months ago

I am doing a school project for massage therapy in Sydney, Australia and am having trouble finding any information. I know the regulations there are spotty but I need some dinfinitive answers and am hoping someone can help me. Is there any licensure? If not, what is recognized for credibility? Are there any plans to regulate in the future? If I moved from the US, what would be the procedure for working there myself? Would I need a business permit? I'd appreciate some feedback as I can't seem to find the answers to my questions online. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.