Looking for advice/ tactical guidance on how to change careers from management to engineering? Is Cad a good way 2 do so?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

H A Jabar in Nashville, Tennessee

69 months ago

I am looking to change careers from management to engineering. I am 30, have a B.S. in business. I am hoping to learn computer aided design as a way to get my foot in the door somewhere?

want to design machines…enrolled in junior college…excelling my math and science...also taking Computer aided drafting (autocad)…hoping Autocad can get my foot into the door to an engineering firm, while i take classes….looking for a way to change careers but keep solid pay…looking for advice

Do u think this is a good method or approach to a change into engineering...is there a better route to do so? Also, what would be the best software to learn? Auto desk and Solidworks have certifications as well as my junior college...would these be of use?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tom Kelly in Cary, North Carolina

64 months ago

AutoCAD or SoliWorks would be OK.
But you should be aquainted with basic engineering principles before joining.

Tom
www.indovance.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Spartan in Lisle, Illinois

55 months ago

H A Jabar in Nashville, Tennessee said: I am looking to change careers from management to engineering. I am 30, have a B.S. in business. I am hoping to learn computer aided design as a way to get my foot in the door somewhere?

want to design machines…enrolled in junior college…excelling my math and science...also taking Computer aided drafting (autocad)…hoping Autocad can get my foot into the door to an engineering firm, while i take classes….looking for a way to change careers but keep solid pay…looking for advice

Do u think this is a good method or approach to a change into engineering...is there a better route to do so? Also, what would be the best software to learn? Auto desk and Solidworks have certifications as well as my junior college...would these be of use?

Stay out of cad, engineering unless you want to be the manager. Period. there is no money or respect otherwise!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Spectrum in Saint Clair, Missouri

53 months ago

Spartan in Lisle, Illinois said: Stay out of cad, engineering unless you want to be the manager. Period. there is no money or respect otherwise!!

Couldn't agree more. Most people who have been in the field for a while, would give the poster, H A Jabar, the same advice. It is fun and rewarding career at first, but only leads down dead-end streets. With his or her educational background, managing other drafters would be the best bet. Maybe even a CAD consulting business(although not sure about the future viabilty). But CAD alone will only get you an ever decreasing paycheck and almost 'nil respect.

I'm almost the same situation in Plano, Texas

35 months ago

I have finished BSME 15 years ago, and worked in CAD for couple of years, then changed to management for the last 10 years. Now i'm thinking of taking a degree in Mechanical Modeling and Simulation.
Guys in the field please advice on how to do this, and is it wise to do it ?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.