medical assistant wages

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 202)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

connie rollins in Saginaw, Michigan

74 months ago

i have been a certified medical assistant for over twenty years. i have not worked for the past three years due to medical problems. The company i worked for paid me about 11 dollars an hour and great benifits. they went out of business, anyway i have an interview with a physician on friday and i have no idea how private offices pay.i was hoping some one can help so i know how to negociate my pay??anyone please???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bev in Reynoldsburg, Ohio

73 months ago

2-5 years experience is new. lol even the new grads have to pay some dues.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Dubose in Fort Washington, Maryland

73 months ago

Guadalupe Alvarez in Perris, California said: I have graduated in 12/2007 and I have constantly been searching for medical assistant job and no one wants to hire me because I don't have 2-5years experience what kind of crap is that.

I have the same issue i feel like it was point less to go to school.I grad. Aug 2008

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

I am just curious how long did you girls go to school for Medical Assisting? Being an instructor, I have been made aware that some schools require you to attend far to many unnecessary months to quailfy for certification. You could have legal recourse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

I went to school for an year from jan 07 to jan 08.in Rosslyn ,Va

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Dubose in Fort Washington, Maryland said: I went to school for an year from jan 07 to jan 08.in Rosslyn ,Va

This is exactly what I am talking about. Within a years time of school you could have been an LPN and added another zero to your check as well as sign on bonus at some select hospitals of 2-3 thousand dollars. Automatic hiring. The school I taught at, was little over 14 weeks. Rate in my class of cerification testing was 100% and they were all placed. It is ridiculous to go to an MA school for anymore than a vocational school since that is what the education is considered. Try and test in as LPN see what you need to know to pass the boards. A year for an MA is a waste of time and a crime to the students you should have been told that you could recieve LPN in one year. Some schools for RN after the first year lets you work as LPN if you pass the boards while going on for an associate degree of RN in only two years.
I am sorry you were taken like that. You should advise any of your friends considering this to go on to LPN school instead. Where in the world was your school counselor, they have this information you should have been told. Good Luck in whatever career you chose to pursue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Man the worst part of it all my friends and i both took the program.I hate that i took that mess. But you learn from your mistakes.I know the next time go for the Lpn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

You know you girls can reach the local LPN School and ask about the board testing. You may very well qualify to take the exam. I can't imagine a year of medical Asst. school and not being able to pass the boards. Then all you would have to take if you wanted to pass meds is a pharmacutical course. Let me know what they say.
Bev

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

t dubose in Washington, District of Columbia

73 months ago

ok thanks i will try that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Let me know how you make out with your search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

73 months ago

Bev in Reynoldsburg, Ohio said: You know you girls can reach the local LPN School and ask about the board testing. You may very well qualify to take the exam. I can't imagine a year of medical Asst. school and not being able to pass the boards. Then all you would have to take if you wanted to pass meds is a pharmacutical course. Let me know what they say.
Bev

To be eligible to take the NCLEX-PN (the licensing exam for LPNs and LVNs) you have to be a graduate from a state approved NURSING program or be in a certain level of your RN program. The only place where there is an exception to this is in CA, where experienced CNAs or military trained medics can challenge the exam and receive an LVN license limited only to CA. Allnurses.com is a great website to get more info about nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Thank you for eveything i willlook into this!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

weiler in Las Vegas, Nevada

73 months ago

also try MA page at PureMedicalJOBSDOTCOM good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Ok i will email you tomm. and let you know what happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shaun in Sanford, Florida

73 months ago

I have been in school for 6 months.I am takeing a 2year program. And I have gotten plenty of job offers for M.A while I am still enrolled in the program. I think this is a very rewarding career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Thats good i hope your able to get those offers when your done. What state do you live in? maybe i need to move there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

shaun in Sanford, Florida said: I have been in school for 6 months.I am takeing a 2year program. And I have gotten plenty of job offers for M.A while I am still enrolled in the program. I think this is a very rewarding career.

Shaun,
Did you say you were in a two year program for Medical Assisting??
May I ask you why you would not go for an assoc degree as RN, that is how long it takes for two higher positions and a lot more money. I have been a medical asst and instructor for over 30 yrs/ You can do so much more for patients as RN. The only diff between a 4 yr degree and 2 yr degree for RN is that the Assoc degree doesn't give you the opportunity to teach. Two years to become a medical asst. boggles the mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

For one year from jan07 to jan08 i went part time an i want to see if i could keep my comment to school. I think i would have got bored with a long program so i wanted to try this first.

73 months ago

Oh I understand what you are saying but even one whole year of medical assisting is far more than is needed for certification. I wish you luck in your career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Thank you i guess i get upset with making that choice because i cant find a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Olympia, Washington

73 months ago

Bev in Reynoldsburg, Ohio said: You know you girls can reach the local LPN School and ask about the board testing. You may very well qualify to take the exam. I can't imagine a year of medical Asst. school and not being able to pass the boards. Then all you would have to take if you wanted to pass meds is a pharmacutical course. Let me know what they say.

Bev

There is NO WAY a Medical Assistant could challenge the state boards (NCLEX) and pass with the education they received. In order to even be eligible to sit for the exam, one needs to have graduated from an accredited NURSING program.

Besides that fact, the education between a nurse (LPN) and MA is completely different. Medical Assistants may be taught some nursing skills, but they are ignorant of the nursing process. MAs cannot assess or treat, which is a cornerstone of nursing care.

The CMA program at my community college is three terms, which I feel is a completely adequate timeframe to learn the necessary material. How can anyone learn the appropriate clinical and office processures in onlyv14 weeks???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Olympia, Washington

73 months ago

Bev in Reynoldsburg, Ohio said: Shaun,
Did you say you were in a two year program for Medical Assisting??
May I ask you why you would not go for an assoc degree as RN, that is how long it takes for two higher positions and a lot more money. I have been a medical asst and instructor for over 30 yrs/ You can do so much more for patients as RN. The only diff between a 4 yr degree and 2 yr degree for RN is that the Assoc degree doesn't give you the opportunity to teach. Two years to become a medical asst. boggles the mind.

I can't speak for Shaun, but there are many reasons people choose medical assisting over nursing. Nursing programs have very competitive enrollment and can be very hard to get into. Also, nursing school, not to mention the career of a nurse, is very demanding and often stressful. Some people are just not cut out to be nurses; you make it sound like nurses and just medical assistants with bigger paychecks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

73 months ago

I just finished my 1st year of Medical assistant school. I have one more to go. My plan is to finish up this degree and go back for radiology degree. Then I am going to get my ultra sound degree. I didn't want to go in for nursing cause I hate the general courses. I did them here and got thru them but I just hate math I can do it just hate it. I have a friend whos in school for nursing and believe me I almost cried with her over her math homework. No thank you I will stick with my plan. It will pay just as good if not better after I finish with my degrees. And I will be doing what I love. I always wanted to work with x-rays and ultra sounds so hope it all works out for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

It is not just the money which in todays economy is very much needed. It is the fact that 2 years for medical assisting is taking the students for a ride and their money. I teach medical assistants and certify them. I happen to know that an 18 week course is all that is needed to be certified and on the job.
As for LPN or RN competetive enrollment that is not true now.
There is such a dire need for nurses that not only are you able to get in, but you are given sign up bonus up to 7000.00 to do so. I myself have been a medical asst. for over 35 years and I happen to know for a fact that as far as the stress as an RN goes it doesn't compete. RN's are virtually paper pushers it is the medical asst that runs the offices and does the hands on care. I am just saying that if you have the time to spend 2 years in a basic technical career learning.... then why not go for LPN or RN since you are basically throwing away time for a position that is very demanding and hard to find at a decent hourly wage. Most people work because they need to support themselves and others. I would imagine that they would like to be paid enough not to have to work a second job to make ends meet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Nicole in Olympia, Washington said: There is NO WAY a Medical Assistant could challenge the state boards (NCLEX) and pass with the education they received. In order to even be eligible to sit for the exam, one needs to have graduated from an accredited NURSING program.

Besides that fact, the education between a nurse (LPN) and MA is completely different. Medical Assistants may be taught some nursing skills, but they are ignorant of the nursing process. MAs cannot assess or treat, which is a cornerstone of nursing care.

The CMA program at my community college is three terms, which I feel is a completely adequate timeframe to learn the necessary material. How can anyone learn the appropriate clinical and office processures in onlyv14 weeks???[/QUOTE
You have made my point. Why spend 2years in a program that will not give you the accredidation to make decent wage as an Associate RN would with that amount of time.
As for not being a medical asst. not being able to treat, that is all they do in office atmosphere. They do it all and they don't get paid for it nor are they certified to do so. Not that, that makes a difference if you have the abilities and knowledge to do so. I come from a medical family doctor's x 3, phsycologist x1. Being realistic about it there is only a certain amount of scholastic work that can give you the ability to perform. Hands on clinical is the only way... the only true way to give proper treatment. MOst of which is taught my the physician you work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Iam not going to say that it is not possiable. Because you have Lpn that cant pass the MA exam.So if you are postive and believe in study it can be done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RN in 2010 in Sonora, California

72 months ago

Bev in Reynoldsburg, Ohio said:
There is such a dire need for nurses that not only are you able to get in, but you are given sign up bonus up to 7000.00 to do so. I myself have been a medical asst. for over 35 years and I happen to know for a fact that as far as the stress as an RN goes it doesn't compete. RN's are virtually paper pushers it is the medical asst that runs the offices and does the hands on care. I am just saying that if you have the time to spend 2 years in a basic technical career learning.... then why not go for LPN or RN.

First of all, I am in a community college RN (ASN) program. Just because there is a "nursing shortage" does not mean that enrollment into nursing school is not extremely competitive. At my school, there are only 60 spots per year for over 300 applicants. Entrance is merit-based, meaning you are ranked on a point system according to you grades earned on pre-requisite courses. MANY highly qualified, 4.0 GPA applicants are not accepted due to space limitations.

I busted my A$$ off getting As in all my pre-requisites (which included biology, chemistry, anatomy/physiology, math, psychology, writing, etc ) and went through an essay and interview process before being accepted into school, so to say that it is not competitive is insulting!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RN in 2010 in Oakland, California

72 months ago

Dubose in Fort Washington, Maryland said: Iam not going to say that it is not possiable. Because you have Lpn that cant pass the MA exam.So if you are postive and believe in study it can be done.

Not true. One of the REQUIREMENTS needed in order to sit for boards is that one has graduated from an accredited NURSING school. The only exception is in California, you can challenge boards and become an LVN, with a liscence limited to the state of California.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Inglewood, California

72 months ago

I stand by my statements.

Medical assistants are an important part of the clinic setting, but they are not liscenced and do not have the autonomy that nurses do. They may learn some nursing tasks, but do not learn WHY they need to be done. They are not taught basic hands-on nursing care and they cannot asses nor make independant decisions about treatment. If they do, they are operating outside their ill-defined scope of practice.

Furthermore, nursing does not constitute a "technical" or "vocational" education. The required academics are rigorous and nurses tend to be very educated and intelligent people. An Associate degree (ASN) in nursing takes longer than 2 years to complete when you consider the prerequisite classes needed to apply to the program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Iam very proud of anyone who becomes a nurse because i my self chose Ma because i didnt want to go to school for a long peroid of time.So anyone that can make it as a Rn iam proud of you and wish you only the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

RN in 2010 in Sonora, California said: First of all, I am in a community college RN (ASN) program. Just because there is a "nursing shortage" does not mean that enrollment into nursing school is not extremely competitive. At my school, there are only 60 spots per year for over 300 applicants. Entrance is merit-based, meaning you are ranked on a point system according to you grades earned on pre-requisite courses. MANY highly qualified, 4.0 GPA applicants are not accepted due to space limitations.

I busted my A$$ off getting As in all my pre-requisites (which included biology, chemistry, anatomy/physiology, math, psychology, writing, etc ) and went through an essay and interview process before being accepted into school, so to say that it is not competitive is insulting!

I am not saying that you don't have to work hard for this position nor am I saying that you don't have to have decent gpa to get in. However in Ohio you do not know how we direly need Nurses and we do give sign up bonus. So if you are insulted do to the fact that other states need and will pay and help people interested to get in well you are obviously easily insulted. As for MA's doing very difficult work hands on medical care and reasons why the treatments are given this is wrong. But I stand by what I say, I feel that anyone that goes to school for 2 years to become a medical assistant perhaps needs to come to a place that doesn't require the same time to become an LPN, LVN, or RN. My opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lellerbrock1 in Denver, Colorado

72 months ago

Bev in Reynoldsburg, Ohio said: It is not just the money which in todays economy is very much needed. It is the fact that 2 years for medical assisting is taking the students for a ride and their money. I teach medical assistants and certify them. I happen to know that an 18 week course is all that is needed to be certified and on the job.
There is such a dire need for nurses that not only are you able to get in, but you are given sign up bonus up to 7000.00 to do so. I myself have been a medical asst. for over 35 years and I happen to know for a fact that as far as the stress as an RN goes it doesn't compete. RN's are virtually paper pushers it is the medical asst that runs the offices and does the hands on care. I am just saying that if you have the time to spend 2 years in a basic technical career learning.... then why not go for LPN or RN since you are basically throwing away time for a position that is very demanding and hard to find at a decent hourly wage. Most people work because they need to support themselves and others. I would imagine that they would like to be paid enough not to have to work a second job to make ends meet.

Thanks for the feedback, however there are those of us that are working adults. I have checked in with several RN programs in my area and NONE of them offer afternoon or evening schooling for that matter. So that right there keeps me from the program. However, the MA training is available on-line and in the evenings which works with my schedule. Yes, RN's do make more money, but you have to be in a place to be able to go to school - and i'm not there.

72 months ago

lellerbrock1 in Denver, Colorado said: Thanks for the feedback, however there are those of us that are working adults. I have checked in with several RN programs in my area and NONE of them offer afternoon or evening schooling for that matter. So that right there keeps me from the program. However, the MA training is available on-line and in the evenings which works with my schedule. Yes, RN's do make more money, but you have to be in a place to be able to go to school - and i'm not there.

I am sorry your State doesn't offer evening classes, here in Ohio we not only have evening classes but also afternoon classes. We also have neighborhood College satellite schools for those of us that do work during the day or have other responsiblities that are a must to care for. My daughter in law has received all of her degrees at night do to the fact she has two children. She is now head coordinater of the Heart Unit after working 5 years in CCU. I wish you luck in whatever your schooling brings you and I hope you enjoy the career. I know I have for over 35 years as a Medical Asst. I was very lucky to start out long ago and enjoy the aquaintence of many a physican, that know my reputation. You do have to get that chance to show what you can do and have those in power of hiring respect your work. I wish you only the very best.

Shelbyville Medical Assistant in Shelbyville, Tennessee

72 months ago

Here in Tn at the local community college they just lowerd the number of students they will accept in the nursing program. Have no idea why but it is very hard to get into the programs here. And I agree with all about the MAs not being on the same level as RNs. But do feel that we are pretty damn close to LPNs. At one school they are even teaching them together. The difference is they get more hands on and they are licensed. I am happy to be becoming an MA and do plan on taking my degree futher.

Here is a web site telling what LPNs are trained to do. www.iseek.org/sv/Careers?id=13000:100117

Now here is one telling what MAs do. stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos164.htm

Now as you can see LPNs and MAs do the same thing in a doctors office. We can work in hospitals just under different title is all but do much of the same thing. I really don't care which is better just wanted to put in my two cents worth. I feel that as long as we are happy with what we are doing who cares what others think......Just my thought

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lellerbrock1 in Denver, Colorado

72 months ago

That truly amazes me that your state offers afternoon/evening RN programs. If they offered that here, i would be in the program. I'm thinking that i'm going to actually go into studying medical records and database maintenance by becoming a Registered Health Information Technician. That seems to be a big up and coming field. Best of luck to you as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Shelbyville Medical Assistant in Shelbyville, Tennessee said: Here in Tn at the local community college they just lowerd the number of students they will accept in the nursing program. Have no idea why but it is very hard to get into the programs here. And I agree with all about the MAs not being on the same level as RNs. But do feel that we are pretty damn close to LPNs. At one school they are even teaching them together. The difference is they get more hands on and they are licensed. I am happy to be becoming an MA and do plan on taking my degree futher.

Here is a web site telling what LPNs are trained to do. www.iseek.org/sv/Careers?id=13000:100117

Now as you can see LPNs and MAs do the same thing in a doctors office. We can work in hospitals just under different title is all but do much of the same thing. I really don't care which is better just wanted to put in my two cents worth. I feel that as long as we are happy with what we are doing who cares what others think......Just my thought

I totally agree as long as you are doing what makes you happy that is what counts, afterall that is what I have been doing as a medical asst. But I just thought that as long as we do the same things we might as well add a 0 to our paycheck lol while doing it. Merry Christmas and Best of Luck in your career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JacksonCNA in Eugene, Oregon

72 months ago

Whether an employer offers a sign-on bonus or not has nothing to do with how competitve nursing school enrollment is. Just because a state has a "dire need" for nurses does not mean that schools are lowering their standards. It is very competitive here in Oregon, too.

And, no MAs do not do the "same thing" as LPNs, even in the clinnic setting. And in my area, MAs cannot work in any hospital or LTC/ALF facilicy unless they are also CNAs.

The fields of nursing (RN, LPN, CNA) and medical assisting are completely different: a nurse (except the CNA) is a liscenced professional who operates independantly within their own scope of practice. They do hand-on care and diagnostic-based treatment for patients in a variety of settings. The skills they possess (from bedpans and showers to patient education to IV med pushes) vastly overshadows those of a MA. On the other hand, MAs are unliscenced assistive personnel. They operate under the liscence of a supervising physician and do not have a defined scope of practice. They cannot do patient education nor do they participate in diagnostic assessment. They cannot make independant decisions about treatment. MAs have office and lab skills as well as a basic understanding of clinical proceedures, a skill set that makes them a desirable office employee.

But they are not nurses. Apples and oranges.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

72 months ago

Shelbyville Medical Assistant in Shelbyville, Tennessee said: Here in Tn at the local community college they just lowerd the number of students they will accept in the nursing program. Have no idea why but it is very hard to get into the programs here. And I agree with all about the MAs not being on the same level as RNs. But do feel that we are pretty damn close to LPNs. At one school they are even teaching them together. The difference is they get more hands on and they are licensed. I am happy to be becoming an MA and do plan on taking my degree futher.

Sorry.... no.... you are misinformed. LPNs and MAs might be similar in an office setting but outside of that like in inpatient care (hospital, LTC) a MA functions as a nursing assistant and an LPN is a NURSE and takes on her own patients, performs nursing assessments, gives medications and treatments, follows nursing care plans, etc. The only courses I can see an MA student and an LPN student taking together are core classes like A&P, micro, nutrition. LPN courses must meet certain strict requirements set by the state so that graduates will be able to sit for the licensing exam (NCLEX). MAs do not learn nursing fundamentals, med/surg nursing, pediatric, geriatric, and ob nursing, nursing pharmacology or IV therapy. Sorry you have no clue and have been misinformed by your school. You will see the difference when you are working in the real world as an MA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

After 35 years in this profession I think I know what I do as one. I do hands on medical care and I also was an assistant to one of the top ObGyn's in Ohio. Med-surg, oh yes I have assisted and give meds. As far as an employer giving bonuses I didn't say that... I said the school gives sign on bonuses for RN's. No one said that the school would lower any standards, due to dire need. They do what they can to encourage students to become nurses. To think of lowering standards is utterly rediculous, where you got that I will never know.
Practical nursing is exactly that practical. Years ago they didn't even need licensed. Same as MA's started out. They all learned on the job and were taught by physicians. If you worked in an office or Urgent Care facility you may be very surprised at just what an MA does and how much they know. You need to know that the scholastic part is also very indepth but that doesn't compare to hands on training in any field. MA's do learn the fundamentals of nursing care, emergency treatment and assit. I should know what I teach. lol I also know that the RN's that teach in the same Institute use my tests that I make myself for their students. The reason for this is because they admit they have no clue as to how much is expected in office care. Humility is a good thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

my comment to that is there is no way you can compare an MA to CNA. In the state of maryland you cant work in a nursing home as an MA. However the CNA can work in a hospital and or nursing home. I have both MA AND CNA.And Ma can draw blood etc. CNA cant do half of what a MA can.

72 months ago

Bev in Reynoldsburg, Ohio said: After 35 years in this profession I think I know what I do as one. I do hands on medical care and I also was an assistant to one of the top ObGyn's in Ohio. Med-surg, oh yes I have assisted and give meds. As far as an employer giving bonuses I didn't say that... I said the school gives sign on bonuses for RN's. No one said that the school would lower any standards, due to dire need. They do what they can to encourage students to become nurses.......You need to know that the scholastic part is also very indepth but that doesn't compare to hands on training in any field. MA's do learn
the fundamentals of nursing care, emergency treatment and assit. .

That is interesting because I've never heard of nursing schools giving a sign-on bonus (the're paying students to go to nursing school??). Many employers do offer those in nursing a sign-on incentive and my appologies for assuming that that is what you were referring to.

Yes, many MAs work in Ob-Gyn (clinic?), but I've never heard of MAs working a hospital unit (Med/Surg) as anything other than a CNA or "PCT." Yes, you may have give meds, but YOU did not decide on your own what specific medication and what dosage was needed and when and why. That is the nurses job.

And, "fundamentals of nursing care" includes MANY things that are NOT included in an MA course, such as activites of daily living (feeding, toileting, dressing, bed baths, etc.), range of motion exercises, lifting, turning, and ambulation, etc.

I'm not playing a "who's better" game; the fact is that nursing and medical assisting are completely different and encouraging disgruntled MAs to go challenge the boards for an LPN liscence is a ridiculous notion at best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

72 months ago

Bev in Reynoldsburg, Ohio said: After 35 years in this profession I think I know what I do as one. I do hands on medical care and I also was an assistant to one of the top ObGyn's in Ohio. Med-surg, oh yes I have assisted and give meds. As far as an employer giving bonuses I didn't say that... I said the school gives sign on bonuses for RN's. No one said that the school would lower any standards, due to dire need. They do what they can to encourage students to become nurses. To think of lowering standards is utterly rediculous, where you got that I will never know.
Practical nursing is exactly that practical. Years ago they didn't even need licensed. Same as MA's started out. They all learned on the job and were taught by physicians. If you worked in an office or Urgent Care facility you may be very surprised at just what an MA does and how much they know. You need to know that the scholastic part is also very indepth but that doesn't compare to hands on training in any field. MA's do learn the fundamentals of nursing care, emergency treatment and assit. I should know what I teach. lol I also know that the RN's that teach in the same Institute use my tests that I make myself for their students. The reason for this is because they admit they have no clue as to how much is expected in office care. Humility is a good thing.

I did not say MA's don't do and learn many things, but it is focused on outpatient care under direct supervision of a physician and under his/her license. Medical Assisting courses are completely different than Nursing. Go to nursing school and see the difference, MAs do not learn the nursing process. You really can't compare the two, they are different. What the heck does "Med-surg, oh yes I have assisted and give meds." mean??? RNs were not licensed at one point either and MAs can be still be trained on the job and never even have to be certified. However you can't work as a nurse without a license and education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Bev in Reynoldsburg, Ohio said: I totally agree as long as you are doing what makes you happy that is what counts, afterall that is what I have been doing as a medical asst. But I just thought that as long as we do the same things we might as well add a 0 to our paycheck lol while doing it. Merry Christmas and Best of Luck in your career.

lol yeah I agree I think we are worth more hopefully soon we will be paid more. I hope adding another degree to my MA degree will help make that possible.
Happy new Year to you and yours....

72 months ago

Kat in Mansfield, Texas said: Sorry.... no.... you are misinformed. LPNs and MAs might be similar in an office setting but outside of that like in inpatient care (hospital, LTC) a MA functions as a nursing assistant and an LPN is a NURSE and takes on her own patients, performs nursing assessments, gives medications and treatments, follows nursing care plans, etc. The only courses I can see an MA student and an LPN student taking together are core classes like A&P, micro, nutrition. LPN courses must meet certain strict requirements set by the state so that graduates will be able to sit for the licensing exam (NCLEX). MAs do not learn nursing fundamentals, med/surg nursing, pediatric, geriatric, and ob nursing, nursing pharmacology or IV therapy. Sorry you have no clue and have been misinformed by your school. You will see the difference when you are working in the real world as an MA.

Well I have a friend that is an LPN and she looked at the courses I have to take and a bunch of them is the same she had to take. I also said we are on the same level in the doctors office. I will always think we are close I said close to an LPN......I know that as a nurse your title is higher up but not by much....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

JacksonCNA in Eugene, Oregon said: That is interesting because I've never heard of nursing schools giving a sign-on bonus (the're paying students to go to nursing school??). Many employers do offer those in nursing a sign-on incentive and my appologies for assuming that that is what you were referring to.

Yes, many MAs work in Ob-Gyn (clinic?), but I've never heard of MAs working a hospital unit (Med/Surg) as anything other than a CNA or "PCT." Yes, you may have give meds, but YOU did not decide on your own what specific medication and what dosage was needed and when and why. That is the nurses job.

And, "fundamentals of nursing care" includes MANY things that are NOT included in an MA course, such as activites of daily living (feeding, toileting, dressing, bed baths, etc.), range of motion exercises, lifting, turning, and ambulation, etc.

I'm not playing a "who's better" game; the fact is that nursing and medical assisting are completely different and encouraging disgruntled MAs to go challenge the boards for an LPN liscence is a ridiculous notion at best.

Well my teacher who is an MA helps her doctor with his sugerys all the time and she knows of others as well. I have a teacher who also can get us trained to do IVs.We can work in hospitals as well we are called patient techs. I am trained as a CNA it took 6 weeks MA takes anywhere from 1 to 2 years.....

(Yes, you may have give meds, but YOU did not decide on your own what specific medication and what dosage was needed and when and why. That is the nurses job.)
Neither did the LPN it was the DOCTOR!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

My point in including CNAs in my discussion, which some have you have missed, is that CNAs are part of the NURSING STAFF. No, they are not nurses and do not have the responsibilites and skills that nurses do.

I was not comparing CNAs to MAs.....I was comparing the field of nursing to the field of medical assisting. CNAs give a fundamental part of nursing care. The only similarity between CNAs and MAs is that they are both unliscenced. However, at least nurse assistants have required certification through the State Board of Nursing.

And, for the record, my initial nurse assistant course was 3 months in length and my acute care class was an additional 8 weeks. I am a trusted and respected part of the nursing staff and do a hell of a lot more than "wipe asses."

The skills of an MA are different than those of a CNA, not better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Shelbyville Medical Assistant in Shelbyville, Tennessee said:

(Yes, you may have give meds, but YOU did not decide on your own what specific medication and what dosage was needed and when and why. That is the nurses job.)
Neither did the LPN it was the DOCTOR!!!!!!!!

You do know how a hospital works, right?

Doctors do not work on unit floors. Doctors are present in the hospital, sure, but everytime a patient needs a medication it is an RN will have the clinical judgement necessary to make decisions regarding per diem meds. LPNs may exercise the same judgement, but they have to consult with an RN and have the RN sign off on the order.

Do you think that if a patient is having a life threatening emergency that requires drug therapy/intervention that a nurse is going to call (and wait around) for the MD?

No. The nurse is going to act fast and administer the medication.

Do you think

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

I totally agree with you thats what i was trying exlain to others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

72 months ago

JacksonCNA in Eugene, Oregon said: You do know how a hospital works, right?

Doctors do not work on unit floors. Doctors are present in the hospital, sure, but everytime a patient needs a medication it is an RN will have the clinical judgement necessary to make decisions regarding per diem meds. LPNs may exercise the same judgement, but they have to consult with an RN and have the RN sign off on the order.

Do you think that if a patient is having a life threatening emergency that requires drug therapy/intervention that a nurse is going to call (and wait around) for the MD?

No. The nurse is going to act fast and administer the medication.

Do you think

That's right. In Texas and Washington, where I've been licensed, LPN/LVNs don't require any "signing off" by the RN. We can make our on nursing judgements without consulting RNs. For example I have a Dr's order for Morphine Sulfate 20 mg/ml give 0.25 ml - 1 ml SL Q 1 hr PRN pain/sob. Depending on my pt's level of pain, tolerance, physical size, etc. I make the decision on how much MS the pt receives, within the ordered amounts of course....

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think an MA can legally pass medications in an acute inpatient setting. There are certain legal statues in place that regulate hospitals and their care and I am %99 sure that only licensed persons can give medications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

72 months ago

According to Medical Assistant.Net,
Medical Assistants CAN NOT:
1. Independently diagnose or treat
patients
2. Perform arterial punctures
3. Perform tests that involve the
penetration of human tissues except
skin tests, and venous and capillary
blood collection
4. Administer intravenous medications.
Only professionals that are certified
or licensed to do so are allowed to do
this
5. Independently provide medical
treatment, analyze test results,
advise patients about their condition,
or treatment regimen, or perform
medical care decision making.
6. Administer any anesthetic agent,
except a topical(local) numbing agent
to the skin, such as an EMLA patch
7. Independently prescribe or refill
medications
8. Practice physical therapy, except
technical supportive services, which
utilize concepts of physical therapy
under the supervision of a licensed
healthcare professional.
CAREFUL! Medical assistants that diregard established professional standards, attempt to perform procedures beyond their training, capabilities, or scope of practice, or decides to act independently without permission, and the presence of a supervising health care provider are in real danger of exposing themselves, patients and their supervisors to serious consequences that can carry far reaching liability issues.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.