certified medical assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 1159)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

rose in Gainesville, GA

91 months ago

i got certified and no one wants to hire you because you don't have a year's experience. This is very disappointing to find out I went to school for nothing! i have faxed, hand delivered, called, replied to ads and nothing keep getting the same story everywhere

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (107) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Reston, VA

91 months ago

Yes!! i have the same problem!!! I have 7 years experience in customer service and just finished school for medical assisting and i just got certified -- i've had about 4 interviews in 4 months -- 2 of the jobs offered me $7 an hour!! that is ridiculous-- i have to start paying back my student loans- i am a hard worker and deserve more than that-- if i had known this i would have gone to school for something else!!
any comments please reply
thank you and good luck to you Rose

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Diana in Reston, VA

91 months ago

rose said: i got certified and no one wants to hire you because you don't have a year's experience. This is very disappointing to find out I went to school for nothing! i have faxed, hand delivered, called, replied to ads and nothing keep getting the same story everywhere

I am a recent graduate also,i didnt get hired of my externship site and know i am struggling to find a job as well iv been out of school for about a month and i havnt even gotten a call back. sorry im in the same boat. but i wish you lots of luck. and remember all in good time maybe god has something else in store for you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

angie in Austin, TX

91 months ago

i am going thru the same thing, and it sucks , like u went to schoolo ofr nothing, but keep ur head up something will come up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Chivonne in New Haven,CT in Reston, VA

91 months ago

I have graduated from a Medical Assistant program and recived my certification. Its been about two years and I have worked one temp job for one day. Frustrated I no longer know what to do, I fax,fax and email still no response. I even took some refresher classes. Then the temp job told me to take the refresher classes and then and then come back, I did and they did not hire me. I don't know whats wrong, and it seems I may have to give up my dream. I and pray and wish everyone gooooood luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Emily, ventura ca in Ventura, California

90 months ago

Hey out there, I am sing the same tune. Went to school and got Certified and did a month externship and was not hired.I have been to so many interviews and they say I will give you a call back. Well that does not happen either! I graduated in 12/05 and still not working in that field. They want someone experienced. Well give a chance to preform, Right? I am working as a CNA.That is not the field I need to be working in.Promies,Promises :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tamika Moore in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

90 months ago

Hi how are you? I have yet to find a job as a Medical Assistant. I finished school in july and nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Barb in Longview, Washington

90 months ago

I just finished my 180 hrs of externship and reading your comments is kind of depressing. I had an interview last week and really hope it works out in my favor. Here's a little piece of advice. I'm sure you are all sending your resume and cover letters to the Human Resources. Also send them directly to the Clinic Managers. A nurse let me know that HR really can be slow and are the true gatekeepers of that stuff. When I was interviewed last week, the clinic manager told me that she was very impressed that I sent it directly to her. Give it a try. Also, I'm finding that if you go for the on call positions, it gets your foot in the door and your chances of future full-time employment are much greater. Good luck to you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Emma (Host) in Stamford, Connecticut

90 months ago

Tamika Moore said: Hi how are you? I have yet to find a job as a Medical Assistant. I finished school in july and nothing.

Have you done the general search on www.indeed.com. Here's one I did for Medical Assistant within a 50 mile radius of Philadelphia: www.indeed.com/jobs?as_and=&as_phr=&as_any=&as_not=&as_ttl=Medical+Assistant&as_cmp=&jt=all&st=&radius=50&l=Philadelphia&fromage=any&limit=10&sort=

Also try doing some networking withe the hospitals. If there's a job you like, click on the "more actions" link to find lots of great background information related to the job and direct links to social networking sites like LinkedIn and Ryze

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ces in Sun City, California

90 months ago

rose said: i got certified and no one wants to hire you because you don't have a year's experience. This is very disappointing to find out I went to school for nothing! i have faxed, hand delivered, called, replied to ads and nothing keep getting the same story everywhere

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tamika in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

90 months ago

I found out after school was out thatwe had to pay $75.00 to take the test to get Certifed, now if you don't have a job how the hell can u get the money up if u have 4 kids. Those schools are such a joke, I would not tell my enemy to go to the school. not just that think if once a month a class of 12-20 people are leaving a MA progam and there are 5 school in that same city the odds of you getting a job is NOT LIKELY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jill in Rochester, New York

90 months ago

When I started medical assisting I had already had patient care experience as a tech in the hospital. I also had earned my EMT over a year before. The way I got into Medical Assisting was through a temporary agency: Adecco Health. Also, what I did was pre-employment urine collections for drug testing. I also had to do vitals for DOT physical exams, etc. I have to say that the experience in the hospital really helped. Can't your schools help you out in your job searches? Is there some place you can volunteer to get some experience under your belts? Like a free clinic? Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Alyssa in Oxford, Michigan

90 months ago

I have an associates in Medical assisting and passed the certification with flying colors, and have yet to find a job too. The jobs that have been offered to me pay only $9-$10 an hour and I'd be losing money if I accepted them! I also have a Bachleors degree in another field, but no one seems to care. They all want 1 or more years of experience before paying better wages or even hiring in the hospitals here in Michigan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Emily, ventura ca

90 months ago

Hi Jill:
In responce,I have worked in a hospital as a teck.I have worked as a on the job training for a family Group practice. New jobs want a person that has had experance for at least one year! and some. I am working as e teck in a privet Hospital now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

miriam in Jacksonville, Florida

89 months ago

I got the same problem and i regret that I didn't go to school for LPN and what after my extern my first job i working for an agency for only 2 weeks and i have to do something else to pay my Loan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

charisma nyc ny in Albany, New York

89 months ago

i have the same problem finding a job i graduated 2 years ago. i have a loan for 10000 i keep deferring and i wish i would have went for lpn too it is the same amount of time ( im in ny lpn programs usually 9 mths ma 6-11 mths) more opportunity and more money and ladies i wouldnt take anything less than $13 in these big cities as an ma

Denise in Littleton, Colorado

89 months ago

I got registered as an MA in 1997. I worked for an OB/GYN for 7 yrs and my daughter said I was working too much. Now I do diaylsis for patients and enjoy it very much. The way I went if you haven't already is got through a person that will look for you and look for what you want. Here is Colorado there are a lot of head hunters I call them. You won't start out making the big bucks, but it will get your foot in the door. Colorado has a lot of MA jobs available. GOOD LUCK!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Elaine in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

89 months ago

i got certified and no one wants to hire you because you don't have a year's experience. This is very disappointing to find out I went to school for nothing! I went to school in Beaver County when I lived out there and finished school. I graduated and got my certification...A yr later still no job. I just took a refresher course and passed. I've been looking online for medical assisting jobs everywhere in PA and NYC (since my title is "National Certified Medical Assistant") and still nothing. What is it that they want us to do? Isn't there anyone out there that can help us find the jobs that we went to school for? This is rediculous. $10,000 and nothing to show for my accomplishment. I have faxed, hand delivered, called, replied to ads and nothing I keep getting the same story everywhere Can someone out there please help(us) those who have done what everything to get to where the're at?...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Tulsa, Oklahoma

88 months ago

Hey guys. I am sorry to read your stories and oppinions. Well, i have a positive news. The thing is that Oklahoma is in need of CMA. If anybody is willing to travel here, you might find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Anna Livings in Lafayette, Louisiana

88 months ago

I understand exactly what everyone is talking about. I've been out of school now since august of 06 and i'm also a medical assistant. It's very hard to find a job. I actually had a job before completing the course and i took the job only to have some experience not because i liked the job. I worked there for 5 months and called quits. I started prn and was making 8.21 and hour. In the state of Louisiana that's a pretty decent pay rate. After being hired on with the company full time they cut my pay down to 7 dollars. I have two kids and i cannot support my kids with that amount of pay. I have been unemployed for a week now. I've always wanted to work in an ob/gyn setting. I finally got my wish. I was offered a position as a clinical/administrative medical assistant. To make the long story short. Ladies don't stop looking for that right job. Good luck to you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Wilmington, Delaware

88 months ago

Hi all! I graduated back in May of 2005 and got certied in October of that same year. Even though I have had three jobs since I finished my internship only one of them was actually using all of my education. I am now working at an opthamologist's office as a front desk receptionist. One day in the near future I'd like to go back to school for radiology, nuclear medicine, or ultrasound. Sounds as though those fields you get paid better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

I was actually thinking about going back to school for x-ray tech. I think that it's a two year course.Maybe in the near future. For now i will try to make a career out of the job that i just got. Working for a ob-gyn doctor.

Laura in Lawrenceville, Georgia

88 months ago

Im in the same boat, finished school, got certified and no job! I keep putting in my apps ( eveyone in this area seems to have gone paperless) its been over a year and since I have no experience no one wants to hire me, Im thinking of going back to school also but I dont know what for

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Mattoon, Illinois

88 months ago

I graduated from the Medical Assistant program May of 2006. I have put in over 100 applications and resume's and still no job. Everybody wants someone with about five years experince. I think it is not right for us to go to school and to pay high dollar to go just to be told you need experince.

88 months ago

"One day in the near future I'd like to go back to school for radiology, nuclear medicine, or ultrasound. Sounds as though those fields you get paid better."

You may also be interested in doing some searches on Indeed's Salary Search to get an idea for average salaries. Here is a search I did to help get you started: www.indeed.com/salary?q1=nuclear+medicine&l1=&tm=1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

I agree with you Debbie. How do they expect for you to get experience if they don't give you a chance to prove yourself. You might be better than the person that's been working there for how ever many years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Hi Laura It's makes you feel like you went to school for nothing.It took me a while too before I found the right job.To be exact 7 months. I now work for an OB/GYN.

Nisha Fa in Newark, California

88 months ago

I graduated from school at the end of 2005 and got certified at the beginning of 2006 and keep running into the same problem. No experience no hire...how the heck do you get experience when no one will hire you to start off with? It is very depressing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

I'm not sure if this will help but have you considered first working part time or doing an internship to get the desired experience. You can search for these job types on Indeed one of two ways. You can choose the job type in the "Advanced Search" link located by the Find Jobs button. You can also refine your search results by job type in the left-hand refinement margin. Here is a job search for Medical Assistant Internships to help get you started:
www.indeed.com/jobs?as_and=&as_phr=&as_any=&as_not=&as_ttl=Medical+Assistant&as_cmp=&jt=internship&st=&radius=25&l=&fromage=any&limit=10&sort=

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Elaine in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

sounds good an all, but i need something in the Pocono area of Pennsylvania, either that or in the Allentown/Bethlehem area... How can people like me and the rest of the ladies/men find a job for somoething we went for??? Is there a way to contact someone about the dilemma that we're all going through??? Can someone please get back to Elaine... Oh, and i don't live in Wilkes-Barre, i live i the Poconos (Jim Thorpe)...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Washington, District of Columbia

88 months ago

It takes a little leg-work, but you may want to call the hospitals, local clinics, etc., and let them know you are looking. I would also volunteer at a local hospital to build up your resume while you are looking for a permanent position.....even if it is just checking vitals of a few patients for a couple of hours on the weekend. Let these people know you are looking and they may feel more comfortable referring you after they are comfortable with your work ethic. This is what I did for a while and it worked!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Tulsa, Oklahoma

88 months ago

Anna said: Hey guys. I am sorry to read your stories and oppinions. Well, i have a positive news. The thing is that Oklahoma is in need of CMA. If anybody is willing to travel here, you might find a job.
My name is Anna too and I also live here in Tulsa OK and yet to find a school affordable. Is there any advise that you can give me. I really want to be a Surgical Tech and I heard from a friend of mine that starting out as a Medical Assistant will be the best way to go.

MARSHA ANDERSON in Bronx, New York

88 months ago

THIS IS REDICULOUS I am a certified medical assistant since oct 06 and still cant get a job it seems like every where I apply they needd experience HOW am I going to get the experience if someone dont give it to me

Kathy in Wilmington, Delaware

88 months ago

I had the same problem after I got certified in October 2005. Try getting experience in a doctor's office even at the front desk. Any experience is going to help!

yesenia in Los Angeles, California

88 months ago

Emily, ventura ca said: Hi Jill:
In responce,I have worked in a hospital as a teck.I have worked as a on the job training for a family Group practice. New jobs want a person that has had experance for at least one year! and some. I am working as e teck in a privet Hospital now.

not to be critical honey, you really need to practice your spelling. A lot of jobs make you do spelling and alphabetizing test before hire. If you want to work in the medical field it is so important for documentation, and if anything ever goes to court.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

I understand what you are talking about marsha. But don't give up keep trying. Good Luck

Elaine in Freeland, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

Everything that u just said is what i've been going through since i graguated in Apr. of 2005!!!, it's been that long and STILL no job in that field... Someone needs to look at the comments we make and see about helping us... Marsha believe me when i tell you that i understand where it is your coming from, what your just said is exactly what im going through...

JustinK in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

88 months ago

Hello Everyone, I'm not a medical assistant but am a recruiter that hires medical assistants in Michigan. Around here the average pay for a medical assistant is about $10 - $12. I know it is hard to take a position that pays that low but there are so many medical assistants here in MI that the market is flooded with them now and employers can pay less. A few of the companies that we work with do not require a year experience, only an externship but it only pays $10.50/hr. My advice is maybe take something lower paying, get your year of experience and then try to get something better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

marsha in Flushing, New York

88 months ago

its real tough for us after all that money spend to go to school they r going to tell us about experience I am planning n going back to school for RN I hope its not the same

Alane in Sarasota, Florida

88 months ago

I am sorry to hear all the Medical Assistants are not being hired in your areas. I live in Florida and jobs in healthcare for Medical Assistants are in great demand. I used to be one myself and never had a problem finding work in Pittsburgh, PA. I have recruited for the Medical Society here in Florida and I
must say your resume is your first impression. Perhaps you need some help to perfect your resume. I can help
you if you'd like. Let me know. I have a nice resume
format for you to use. Write back if you want help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Mattoon, Illinois

88 months ago

Alane in Sarasota,Florida I would like for you to tell me about the resume. I have sent about 150 resume's and applications since I graduated May 12,2006. Thank you Debbie

marsha in Oakland Gardens, New York

88 months ago

thank u for the advice could u share the resume with me please maybe thats the problem

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Terri in Elyria, Ohio

88 months ago

Hi everyone
I am a MA I graduated in 2005 and I am a certified Phlebotomist and graduate May 2006. I've been trying to find employment as a Phlebotomist but am unsucessful. I also have been filling out apps for MA as a back up and haven't had any offers either.
If your already working as a MA or Phlebotist I wonder if you could tell me what employeers look for, what kind of questions they ask, and any tips beside the net and newspaper to find job.
I also have been out of work for three years, but in school on and off for the past 6 yrs. Does this have a big impact on how an employer views me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JustinK in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

88 months ago

Terri said: Hi everyone
I am a MA I graduated in 2005 and I am a certified Phlebotomist and graduate May 2006. I've been trying to find employment as a Phlebotomist but am unsucessful. I also have been filling out apps for MA as a back up and haven't had any offers either.
If your already working as a MA or Phlebotist I wonder if you could tell me what employeers look for, what kind of questions they ask, and any tips beside the net and newspaper to find job.
I also have been out of work for three years, but in school on and off for the past 6 yrs. Does this have a big impact on how an employer views me.

They will probably wonder why you have been out of work for the past 3 years, but if you explain to them that you were going to school they should be understanding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Terina in Norfolk, Virginia

88 months ago

Nisha Fa said: I graduated from school at the end of 2005 and got certified at the beginning of 2006 and keep running into the same problem. No experience no hire...how the heck do you get experience when no one will hire you to start off with? It is very depressing.
I here you i went to school in cali but i moved to va with my husband who is in the military and it's hard to get a job without experience i graduated at the top of my class in cali, it really doesnt matter they dont look at that i've been out of school since june of 05 i hope something changes soon because even with my husband in the military it's hard to make ends meet most people dont understand it's still hard for people in the military.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Terri in Elyria, Ohio

87 months ago

Terina said: I here you i went to school in cali but i moved to va with my husband who is in the military and it's hard to get a job without experience i graduated at the top of my class in cali, it really doesnt matter they dont look at that i've been out of school since june of 05 i hope something changes soon because even with my husband in the military it's hard to make ends meet most people dont understand it's still hard for people in the military.

Sorry to hear you can't find a job either, I know how you feel. I'm a single mother of two boys- I have a medical assisting certificate, a seperate certificate for completing the phlebotomy program and got certify as a phlebotomy technician and can't get a job. And I am three classes away from my Associates in Business and can't finish until I get a job to pay for those classes. I love working in the medical field, it is so challenging, but I am starting to feel like I might have to do something else in life. someone told me if you just keep hounding employers they one of them give you a chance. I think that is an annoying Characteristics, but hey if it works I might just go there. Good luck to both you and your husband.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Terri in Elyria, Ohio

87 months ago

Terri said:
Sorry to hear you can't find a job either, I know how you feel. I'm a single mother of two boys- I have a medical assisting certificate, a seperate certificate for completing the phlebotomy program and got certify as a phlebotomy technician and can't get a job. And I am three classes away from my Associates in Business and can't finish until I get a job to pay for those classes. I love working in the medical field, it is so challenging, but I am starting to feel like I might have to do something else in life. someone told me if you just keep hounding employers they one of them give you a chance. I think that is an annoying Characteristics, but hey if it works I might just go there. Good luck to both you and your husband.

Sorry about my typing and mispelled words, my children got something sticky on my keyboard and my keys stick once in a while.

Jake in Elyria, Ohio

87 months ago

[QUOTE who="Terri"]

What kind of excuses did you get from Community Health Partners on Kolbe Road?

natasha

87 months ago

you guys are scaring me, i finish school next week but it is so true all the ads be saying a year experience, try hospital registrar, or clerical work just to get your feet in the door, i am located in new york my school help us find a job, they ask us when we will be available to interview when we graduate, so do not give up there is a god out there, trust me. i send my resume every day to hospitals for clerical, adminitrative because medical assistant can do front desk as well, so keep your head up trust me.

Terri in Elyria, Ohio

87 months ago

Jake said:
What kind of excuses did you get from Community Health Partners on Kolbe Road?

I never see too many opening for CHP, but everytime I do I put an application/resume in. I called them one time and they say they prefer people not call that they review the applications and call you, that is the way most hospitals are now they don't want you calling and asking about your application, but how will you know what to improve on if they don't give you any feedback on what you need to better your chances on getting a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.