Does Volunteering Help You Land A Medical Assistant Job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Learning Something New Everyday in California

58 months ago

I took medical assisting training a few years ago and I have wanted to get into the field since I graduated but no one hires new grads. Now that I am about to be totally without income after this month, I wanted to know if I should volunteer at some doctor's office to gain experience? Also where else can I volunteer at that will count towards medical assisting? Also if I become a CNA will that count towards my experience as well?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (88) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

smithmau in Woodbridge, Virginia

57 months ago

I am 52 years old and recently graduated with a Medical Assistant Degree but not yet have taken my RMA (don't know if I want to now) and have been trying to find a job for a month. My husband & I are trying to dig out of credit card debt which has already hurt our credit and will for the next 10 years. I too am trying to find a job in the Northern Virginia area (Woodbridge, Manassas, Reston, Fairfax) but no one wants to hire recent grads. How are you supposed to get your experience if an employer doesn't give you a chance? These previous MA's had to get their experience too and they started somewhere because someone gave them a chance. IT'S NOT FAIR! I almost feel I threw away over $23,000. Now I may be forced to go more into education debt by going to another University and taking a Hemodialysis Technician course to get me a degree and go into another field. Any advice on jobs and how to go about finding in these areas of Northern Virginia would be helpful.

Signed: NEED A JOB NOW!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

tinalanq01 in Dearborn, Michigan

45 months ago

I also done the MA training and have been through with it for over 2-3 months now and still no luck in landing a postion I just spent over 18,000 dollars for.All clinics can get help for free each month becuase of all the tens of thousands of schools giving them free workers (externs).
It seems to be that they're just in it for theirselves and for the most part they are. Few students actually get a positions through their externship. I'm waiting to get a leter to inform me when I can take the certification test in Lansing. Hopefully that may help me better in finding a MA position...
Good luck
Tina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

avisroyal

45 months ago

I feel you Mrs.smithmau I to am 52 years old and just gradurated from a medical assistant program . I two haven't taken my CMA yet either , it's been almost two months and no luck I have been applying online like crazy I really hope I did'nt take medical assistant course for notting. All I can say is just hang in there we didn't come this far for notting God has our back.

Keep The Faitt
Avis

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

avisroyal

45 months ago

I feel you Mrs.smithmau I to am 52 years old and just gradurated from a medical assistant program . I two haven't taken my CMA yet either , it's been almost two months and no luck I have been applying online like crazy I really hope I did'nt take medical assistant course for notting. All I can say is just hang in there we didn't come this far for notting God has our back.

Keep The Faith
Avis

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tinalanq01 in Dearborn, Michigan

45 months ago

Did you find that you need at least a yr of post externship of exp. before jobs like Concentra will actually even accept your application/resume??
Wish they would of told us that at Everest before we were almost finished with the program. I can't even find another clinic to volunteer at because of the liability of anything happening and you don't have a backing support group.
Tina
Mi.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

In The Situation as you in Newnan, Georgia

38 months ago

Hello,learning something new everyday!!! I'm in the same situation as you been out 2 years this past August. I's been so ruff and I've been thinking the same thing as you about volunteering to but I don't know about it either.I just knew that I was going to get a job when I got out but no job yet in this field cause they all want those years of exp... So what are we to do if we cant get a chance!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shawn in Kalamazoo, Michigan

30 months ago

tinalanq01 in Dearborn, Michigan said: Did you find that you need at least a yr of post externship of exp. before jobs like Concentra will actually even accept your application/resume??
Wish they would of told us that at Everest before we were almost finished with the program. I can't even find another clinic to volunteer at because of the liability of anything happening and you don't have a backing support group.
Tina
Mi.

i went to everest too... i have the same issiues you have...just spoke to snelling temp to meagaan leverage,,must have expereince.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California

27 months ago

smithmau in Woodbridge, Virginia said: I am 52 years old and recently graduated with a Medical Assistant Degree but not yet have taken my RMA (don't know if I want to now) and have been trying to find a job for a month. My husband & I are trying to dig out of credit card debt which has already hurt our credit and will for the next 10 years. I too am trying to find a job in the Northern Virginia area (Woodbridge, Manassas, Reston, Fairfax) but no one wants to hire recent grads. How are you supposed to get your experience if an employer doesn't give you a chance? These previous MA's had to get their experience too and they started somewhere because someone gave them a chance. IT'S NOT FAIR! I almost feel I threw away over $23,000. Now I may be forced to go more into education debt by going to another University and taking a Hemodialysis Technician course to get me a degree and go into another field. Any advice on jobs and how to go about finding in these areas of Northern Virginia would be helpful.

Signed: NEED A JOB NOW!

I am a 52 year old male and I am thinking about going to start a program here in southern california called Conejo Valley Adult Education. The certificate will be in Adminstrative and Clinical Medical Assistant with Phlebothomy Technician 1. The program is 20 weeks plus externship for Adminstrative and Clinical Medical Assistant 4 weeks and phlebothomy technician 2 weeks. The total cost is $4,899 that also includes the NCCT certification testing, test prep and skills workshop.

I am currently on unemployment so at least I am getting paid while going back to school.

They have no job placement department

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.