Interview Preparation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 74)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming medical assistant interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Annie in Reston, VA

92 months ago

I am in the same situation. I would also like to know what a prospective employer ask when they call a previous employer for a reference. I interviewed for jobs that I am qualifed for and have had no responses. I feelI am not getting a good reference from my previous employer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (106) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Tempe, AZ

91 months ago

almost all offices ask the same or simular questions. What are your strong quilifacations? How would you handle a conflict with a co-worker. What is you weakness. What would co-workers say about your work habits. How many times were you late for work or called in sick. Are you a multi tasked person and how do you handle changes and/or stress. These are some of the most common questions asked. Just try to relax look them straight in the eyes, never interupt, answer questions honestly, and focus on your strongest skills. If a question is asked and it pertains to a weaker skill always find a postive answer (sell yourself make them see you would be a great asset to the practice and mostly to the patients. Dedication, professionalism, honesty, abily to orginize and complete tasks are just a few unique skills we must have to becoming a great Medical Assistant. Never stop learning always be eager to learn this helps make a smooth running office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (197) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Tempe, AZ

91 months ago

Annie said: I am in the same situation. I would also like to know what a prospective employer ask when they call a previous employer for a reference. I interviewed for jobs that I am qualifed for and have had no responses. I feelI am not getting a good reference from my previous employer
Get your references to type out (on a letter head if available) what they think of your performance. These would be best from M.D.s, administrators, managers, supervisors, and co-workers keep in sheet protectors with extra copies along with plenty of copies your resume. Never discuss pay or benefits to soon in the interview ask them what their margin is for the position and know your final low/high pay you will accept. Tell them you would like a couple of days to think about the offer and make sure you have or understand the full job description. Ask where they are at in the hiring circle or status and what would be a good time and day to call them with your answer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Tempe, AZ

91 months ago

Alot of interviewers ask previous employers How you present yourself, how you interacted with co-workers and mostly with the patients, and would they ever consider hiring you again. It is very limited on what they can ask you can contact the labor employee rights and ask what question can and can't be asked.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Diana in Reston, VA

91 months ago

the one question that keeps coming up again and again is ''what do you see yourself doing in the next five years?'' a good response for that is since they are hiring for a medical assistant well you can say something like''i see my self finding an organization in which i can grow and develop as a top notch medical assistant'' you dont want to say yea i want to start nursing school in a couple months. no way because they are thinking why should i hire a nurse i want a medical assistant.
and another is what is your weekness. think about that one and try to make your weekness a positive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (88) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Dinah in Snellville, GA in Loganville, GA

91 months ago

I have just graduated as a medical assistant and I am finding it difficult to get a job because of inexperience. Can someone help me get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (156) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

susan in Santa Ana, California

81 months ago

How long did you have to go to school?
Where did you go to school?
How much did your education cost?
Do you like your job?
What do you like the least?
What do you like the most?
What hours do you work?
Do you work on weekends, Holidays?
What was your entry level pay?
What is the highest salary i can expect in this career?
Do you have medical, dental, and vision benefits?
thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

neza in Minneapolis, Minnesota

75 months ago

I have graduated from a Medical Assistant program 8 months ago. Frustrated I no longer know what to do, I send and email a lot off applications still no response. can any help me find a job. i am open to any good advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (76) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Joan in Cincinnati, Ohio

66 months ago

neza in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I have graduated from a Medical Assistant program 8 months ago. Frustrated I no longer know what to do, I send and email a lot off applications still no response. can any help me find a job. i am open to any good advice.

I just graduated from Medical Assistant in Jan 2008
Try some of the urgent care in your city they don't pay much but you will get the experience you need to get the job of your dream I've been working at a urgent care since Dec 2007 I got my job before I even walk across the stage for my degree Don't give up

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

sandygarcia in Passaic, New Jersey

66 months ago

please e-mail me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jho in San Jose, California

66 months ago

susan in Santa Ana, California said: How long did you have to go to school? the time in school, depends on how do you want it. if you want to be A.S in Medical Assisting is 2 years. If you want to earn a certification then it's 18 months, then if you want Diploma it's only 8 months plus the externship (720 hours theory, 160 hours clinical)

Where did you go to school? I lived at california(san jose) There is a lot of school here, you can even go to community college now, because they offer that course as well I went to EVEREST COLLEGE.

How much did your education cost? It cost me almost 14,000, but i got the student loan, there is a lot of loan ,just go to financial aid (of the school you are going to and they will help you) my student loan will let me pay after 6 months (so i graduated sept 2008, i start paying my tuition in March 2009.

Do you like your job? If you want helping people,(whether they child, adult or old people then its for you.

What do you like the least? there is nothing not to like, except of finding job, specially if you do not have experience at all. but sometimes if you have you externship in certain place, they will hire if they need somebody, just do your best.

What do you like the most? professional growth, and helping people.

What hours do you work? it depends,
I might start my work if i passed this 2nd interview, maybe 3 days only, 8 hrs. a day.

Do you work on weekends, Holidays? It depends if they need me, or if i want too. (of course i want to, that is double pay/or time in a half )

What was your entry level pay? usually $14-16 here in cali, so it depends in the city and state. why don't you go at this website www.indeed.com, it will show everything you want to know.even finding job as well.

What is the highest salary i can expect in this career? if you passed the CMA/AAMA- you will get as high as $30 i think. I am not sure.

Do you have medical, dental, and vision benefits? yes!!!
thanks[/QUOTE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Shaqueena Emerson in Chester, South Carolina

63 months ago

I have graduated from the Medical Assistant Program and it's seems that I'm having trouble finding a job.I had a job in a pedatrician's office working with kids, it was a wonderful job, I loved it to death, but the only problem was that My immune system isn't so strong to be working around kids and I took sick and had to give the job up. I took my resume to various palces and I still didn't hear from anyone, but today is Jan.30,09 and I have a job interview with a medical office , so I pray that all goes well. But just in case it doesn't could U please help me find something and email me with the job and description. I would very much appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sabroza in Winter Park, Florida

63 months ago

Annie in Reston, VA said: I am in the same situation. I would also like to know what a prospective employer ask when they call a previous employer for a reference. I interviewed for jobs that I am qualifed for and have had no responses. I feelI am not getting a good reference from my previous employer

I'm in the same situaiton. but I called HR and asked what do they day when being
called by a potienial employer. check your your HR dept.

usually dated started, ended, left or fired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MA1 in Wyckoff, New Jersey

63 months ago

Joan in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I just graduated from Medical Assistant in Jan 2008
Try some of the urgent care in your city they don't pay much but you will get the experience you need to get the job of your dream I've been working at a urgent care since Dec 2007 I got my job before I even walk across the stage for my degree Don't give up

HI,
NOW THAT IS NICE TO HEAR!
How are you doing in your job so far, I am pursuing the MA field and would like to know your opinion..How were the courses for MA in your school, difficult? I have worked for 16 years as a cerftified OMS (Oral & Maxillofacial Surgical assistant) teeth and jaw dr...and want to pursue this area...
Would like your input and it would be much appreciated!
MA1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

BaseballCheer816 in Jeffersonville, Indiana

62 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming medical assistant interview?

I am an office manager for a hospital owned physician group. I have worked here for 20 years....and I am not like most office managers who interview that are rigid. I prefer that people relax, enjoy yourself (as much as possible),because I would rather see a person's personality instead of what their grade point ave was. Good Luck, if you lived in Indiana, I would help you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Trina in Cincinnati, Ohio

60 months ago

Im looking for refresher courses for medical assistant...please help me..I dunno where to look

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Letty in Winton, California

60 months ago

Hi, I graduated from a Medical Assistant Program here in California. I found a job after two months, i worked with a pediatrician for almost two years, i left that job because i decided to go back to school, and now im looking for a full time job as a Medical Assitant and i cant seem to find one! I've had two interviews so far but they said i didnt qualify for the position. I think that the reason why its been really hard to find a job is because i have no recent experienced, can anyone help me with advice on how to be more prepared for interviews. Thank You

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Kenyi in Seekirchen, Austria

59 months ago

Sorry. Get pleasure out of life...as much as you can. Nobody ever died from pleasure.
I am from Ireland and know bad English, tell me right I wrote the following sentence: "Torrent details - seeds, leechers, downloads, added minutes ago in movies action."

With love ;), Kenyi.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs. A in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

Chivonne in New Haven,CT in Reston, VA said: I have graduated from a Medical Assistant program and recived my certification. Its been about two years and I have worked one temp job for one day. Frustrated I no longer know what to do, I fax,fax and email still no response. I even took some refresher classes. I don't know whats wrong, and it seems I may have to give up my dream. I am open to any good advice.

Go to the places. Some places DO NOT post their jobs online because they don't want to bed swamped with emails, faxes, phone call, and etc. So, just go to a number of places that you would like to work and leave a resume, get the name and number of the person whom you left it with, and then start calling after one week. That way....they have a name, resume, face, voice, and number of a persistant job seeker. Which also is a good trait to have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Patty in Indianapolis, Indiana

58 months ago

Chivonne in New Haven,CT in Reston, VA said: I have graduated from a Medical Assistant program and recived my certification. Its been about two years and I have worked one temp job for one day. Frustrated I no longer know what to do, I fax,fax and email still no response. I even took some refresher classes. I don't know whats wrong, and it seems I may have to give up my dream. I am open to any good advice.

Have you tried networking with your local chapter of AAMA, non-profit organizations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LALA in New Lisbon, Wisconsin

58 months ago

I FINISHED AD RECEIVED MY DIPLOMA IN 2006 NO I WANT TO GET BACK IN THE FEILD BUT CANT FIND OUT HOW TO GET THE STATE LICENSE TEST IN A NEW STATE DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jobean in Buffalo, New York

57 months ago

LALA in New Lisbon, Wisconsin said: I FINISHED AD RECEIVED MY DIPLOMA IN 2006 NO I WANT TO GET BACK IN THE FEILD BUT CANT FIND OUT HOW TO GET THE STATE LICENSE TEST IN A NEW STATE DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS

Look up AAMA American Association of Medical Assistants. They have all the information you will need on their site. Google it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sah in Accra, Ghana

57 months ago

I went for an interview last year in direct medical assistant . i answered most of the questions but proof to no avail .I dont know whether most of my answers was wrong or because of my appearance.And is this statement true that "there are no wrong or correct answers in an interview" This year i have been short listed for an interview in the same field at the same institution. i would like some one to advice me on what to do and what not to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

as in Fresno, California

57 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming medical assistant interview?

Yes!!!! In fact earlier this week I had an interview in Martinez, CA. at a hospital infront of a panel. A surgeon, a P.A., R.N, and the supervisor and all asked questions with no time to waste. Here are some of the questions:

1. How do you handle irate or upsetpatients? (Have you experienced upset patients that have had to wait far too long, explain how you handled it).

2. Give me a situaton where you had to use procedures and protacols? (Do you have HIPAA and OSHA sense? How do you prepare for your doctor? Is he going to walk around looking for tools? Have you really done this before? Explain a complicated procedure for example, a vasectomy).

3. Are you Organized? And how do you make use of time? (are you organized and how do you do so? give an example).

Well, I think those are the toughest questions that I encounter and are the most difficult. What ever type of practice you are applying for, have ALL your answers be relevant to that!!
AS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

zulma in Winston Salem, North Carolina

57 months ago

hey does any one had take the certification exam for medical assistant is it hard? plz respond ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Vanessa x in Milpitas, California

56 months ago

I HAVE AN ORAL EXAMINATION COMING UP NEXT WEEK FOR THE MEDICAL ASSISANT POSITION...I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF QUESTIONS THEY WILL BE ASKING ME AND HOW DO I PREPARE MYSELF..THANK YOU...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Vanessa x in San Francisco, California

56 months ago

Do you have any experience in situations that youhave been experienced in...i2 be hones I haven't worked in the medical field in a long time..actually I only worked for a couple of weeks in the back office..please help...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Fran in Flint-town in Flint, Michigan

56 months ago

TRINA- IN CINCINNATI OHIO!! I feel your pain! I have looked high and low for "Refresher Classes" and I don't think they even exist. Every college wants you to go through the entire MA program again. I called all over the State (MI) including AAMA. What I finally did was go to the college that I got my degree from and tell them my situation. I had to get permission from the Dean of the MA program and now I am taking Phlebotomy and 2 other classes (self pay)so I can update my certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

EVE22 in Murrieta, California

56 months ago

When you're asked what your greatest weakness is, try to turn a negative into a positive. For example, a sense of urgency to get projects completed or wanting to triple-check every item in a spreadsheet can be turned into a strength i.e. you are a candidate who will make sure that the project is done on time and your work will be close to perfect.

Note that the term "weakness" isn't used in the sample answers - you always want to focus on the positive when interviewing.

Sample Answers:

* When I'm working on a project, I don't want just to meet deadlines. Rather, I prefer to complete the project well ahead of schedule.

* Being organized wasn't my strongest point, but I implemented a time management system that really helped my organization skills.

* I like to make sure that my work is perfect, so I tend to perhaps spend a little too much time checking it. However, I've come to a good balance by setting up a system to ensure everything is done correctly the first time.

* I used to wait until the last minute to set appointments for the coming week, but I realized that scheduling in advance makes much more sense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

I KNOW in Chicago, Illinois

55 months ago

Mrs. A in Chicago, Illinois said: Go to the places. Some places DO NOT post their jobs online because they don't want to bed swamped with emails, faxes, phone call, and etc. So, just go to a number of places that you would like to work and leave a resume, get the name and number of the person whom you left it with, and then start calling after one week. That way....they have a name, resume, face, voice, and number of a persistant job seeker. Which also is a good trait to have.

Where did you attend school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

I KNOW in Chicago, Illinois

55 months ago

Are there a lot of people out of work and still have large loans to pay back after attending Everest College? I hear some went to become medical assistants and now work as CNA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

desperate in San Jose, California

55 months ago

i am one of them.... my husband is right...its only a propaganda " we will find you a job" but that is not true...they only want the money...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

longbeachdoctor in Lakewood, California

55 months ago

As a physician, I see a lot of these posts and am really encouraged by some of the people here. I have a busy practice and have gone through so many medical assistants who were not honest. I don't care if they have no experience. I have trained one of the MA's I have and don't mind. I do mind taking patient messages and throwing them away, texting while there at work and there is work to be done, facebook while patients are standing in front of them, and hiding work so we can't see it hasn't been done. As an employer dedication and honesty are by far the most important qualities. I have a medical assistant that really is a team player and I have doubled her salary since she has been with me. If an employer feels like you are doing your job, they will bend over backwards to make you happy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley Rae in Morganton, North Carolina

55 months ago

Its all about who you know. Especially if you have had lack of experience or its been a while since you have been in the field. It's like that most places... its all about who you know. If you can just talk to anyone who works in the field then you can get your name out there and your resume looked at. I promise you its a bullet proof plan and it works for any job in any field

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sanad singh in Kathmandu, Nepal

55 months ago

i am sanad singh . i completed CMA from nepal so i want job . icmpleted in cma since 2003.and i looking for a job of medical assistant.i have completed community medical assistant training of 2 years from governmental hospital of nepal,i have worked in government organization as a assistant,i have worked for drug abuse program for 1 month,in private sector also i have worked for 2yrs i am hopping for positive response from your side.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky

55 months ago

lyma in Cape Coral, Florida said: I had an interview and she ask me..
can you tell me 3 things good about you?
can you tell me 3 bad things about you? well i answer 3 things good about me, but the next question about the bad things about me , I stay still because i really dont know what to answer.

can someone help me on this one? please!!

Eve 22 hit did ok with this question. Ma1 in Wyckoff is leading totally in the wrong direction. Never, ever give an employee a weakness. Why would you want to supply an employer with negative info. When asked about a weakness, always give them what is actually a strength!!! Don't even mention the weakness in your sentence when answering. ex. I feel a sense of urgency to complete a project,even when the deadline is days away. I find it difficult to pass a partially completed task to someone else for completion. It is difficult to start my day until my desk is organized and my "to do list" is written. These are some quick examples off the top of my head. But do you see how these are not just negative statements but actually strengths your employer will be glad you have, versus a comment like. I hate deadlines, I never feel like I will reach them... I am always putting things off until the last minute...I am not much of a morning person but I do fine after a few cups of coffee. I hope you see the point I am making, listing the strengths are easy, turning a weakness into a strength is something you can work on. Most examples will be good for any interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jennifer_wooddell@insightbb.com in New Albany, Indiana

55 months ago

BaseballCheer816 in Jeffersonville, Indiana said: I am an office manager for a hospital owned physician group. I have worked here for 20 years....and I am not like most office managers who interview that are rigid. I prefer that people relax, enjoy yourself (as much as possible),because I would rather see a person's personality instead of what their grade point ave was. Good Luck, if you lived in Indiana, I would help you.

Hi, I live in Corydon, Indiana and I am looking to get back into the medical field, however many things have changed since worked in the doctor's office last. Could you email me I have some elementary questions.

Thank you,
JLW

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Billie Garrett in Bowling Green, Ohio

53 months ago

I found it helpful that my school set me up with an externship. I worked for free but I was able to gain in office work experience to add to my resume and was also able to get letters of reccomendation from the dr and the office manager. I treated it like a job, even though I was not being paid, and did whatever was asked of me.

Maybe you can call around to the hospitals or clinics and ask if they have a need for any volunteers. If you offer your services for free and do a great job, they may be able to hire you in the end, or at least give you some tools to help beef up your experience and resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

manicolemarie in Saint Petersburg, Florida

53 months ago

longbeachdoctor in Lakewood, California said: As a physician, I see a lot of these posts and am really encouraged by some of the people here. I have a busy practice and have gone through so many medical assistants who were not honest. I don't care if they have no experience. I have trained one of the MA's I have and don't mind. I do mind taking patient messages and throwing them away, texting while there at work and there is work to be done, facebook while patients are standing in front of them, and hiding work so we can't see it hasn't been done. As an employer dedication and honesty are by far the most important qualities. I have a medical assistant that really is a team player and I have doubled her salary since she has been with me. If an employer feels like you are doing your job, they will bend over backwards to make you happy.

I Wish Someone Like You Would Give Me A Chance To Show What I Have To Offer. I Am A Very Hard Worker, And My Whole Life That Is All I Have Done Is Worked. My Last Job I Was There For 12 Hour Days and I Loved My Clients, I Moved to FL and Now No One Will Hire Me Casue I Dont Have The Experience In Medical Assistanting, I Am A Wonderful Employee, Always Hard Working, Super Organized And Just Plain Want To Work!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

josEva in La Mirada, California

53 months ago

longbeachdoctor in Lakewood, California said: As a physician, I see a lot of these posts and am really encouraged by some of the people here. I have a busy practice and have gone through so many medical assistants who were not honest. I don't care if they have no experience. I have trained one of the MA's I have and don't mind. I do mind taking patient messages and throwing them away, texting while there at work and there is work to be done, facebook while patients are standing in front of them, and hiding work so we can't see it hasn't been done. As an employer dedication and honesty are by far the most important qualities. I have a medical assistant that really is a team player and I have doubled her salary since she has been with me. If an employer feels like you are doing your job, they will bend over backwards to make you happy.

Why in the world would anyone screw up on that chance of having a JOB?? I would love to have an oppotunity to have a Physician hire and train me on the job than go through some ghetto school that you owe thousands to! Now I'm thinking of calling up different Dr.'s offices to see if they would do just that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tantang in Denver, Colorado

53 months ago

I have graduated from a medical institute in 2007. I try to find a job as a medical assistant, but it is very difficult, because i only have my externship experience, and have never worked in the field. I sent out my resume for months, and got no response from the interviewers. I am thinking about being a volunteer in order to continue to gain experience, or it's time to change my career, but i just don't want to give up on it. It's so frustrating, and don't know what to do!
I wish there is anyone who can give me some advices, and appreciate for help!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

yesenia in Warrenton, Virginia

53 months ago

apply in temporary agencies i was like you and it works try it and then send me a message ok just to let me know how u doing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MA1 in Butler, New Jersey

53 months ago

Hi,
Certainly volunteering will give you more of an edge. You will have professionals training you for free. If your really having trouble finding work they may even help by having connections to doctors looking to hire. Marketing yourself by showing up at offices,surgery centers,hospitals is another option. Sometimes the face-to-face meeting will give you more of an opportunity.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky

53 months ago

Tantang in Denver, Colorado said: I have graduated from a medical institute in 2007. I try to find a job as a medical assistant, but it is very difficult, because i only have my externship experience, and have never worked in the field. I sent out my resume for months, and got no response from the interviewers. I am thinking about being a volunteer in order to continue to gain experience, or it's time to change my career, but i just don't want to give up on it. It's so frustrating, and don't know what to do!
I wish there is anyone who can give me some advices, and appreciate for help!!!

Stop sending resumes and go directly to the employers for a one on one. Tell everyone you know, everyone you come across that you are looking for employment. Don't give up and yes volunteer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

vicque fassinger in Cleveland, Ohio

53 months ago

When you are contacted to appear, in person, to a place to which you have applied, there are several key points to consider and address both before you leave to go on your interview and on your way home. Probably one of the most important things to keep in mind during this whole interviewing process is that YOU ARE INTERVIEWING THEM too! Ask yourself, do I want to drive this far every day? Do I want to work for this employer, at the pay rate they are offering me? Am I going to be spending my time still sending out resumes and I am only taking this job because they offered it? Just because you are offered a job doesn’t mean you have to accept it.

1) Dress appropriately. You are about to meet someone who is undoubtedly meeting and interviewing countless candidates for the same one position. You can stand out from everyone else not only by your professional resume (showing that you take pride in yourself), but also by your professional appearance (showing that you take pride in yourself). Even if you are applying for a job that does not require direct customer contact, if you present yourself in a professional, clean manner, you are establishing a positive first impression that can lead to many opportunities for advancement and trust in the future with your new employer. If you are male, wear pressed slacks (tan color is neutral and appropriate), a clean bright white shirt, and a well-fitted sport coat. Do NOT wear your old leisure suit or any article of clothing with rips, stains, or that no longer fits your current shape! Invest in a nice pair of neutral-colored pants, a white cotton shirt, a nice tie, a sharp sport coat, and a nice pair of shoes that you save and use only for your interviews and special occasions. If you are female, you can’t go wrong with a simple black pant suit, sharp shoes that are clean and have good heels, and minimal accessories.

2) Do NOT smoke or drink alcohol at least 24 hours before your interview; often unbeknownst to the smo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vicque fassinger in Cleveland, Ohio

53 months ago

often unbeknownst to the smoker or drinker – WE CAN SMELL THAT ON YOUr breath and through the pores of your skin!

3) Do NOT chew gum during the interview.

4) Do NOT go on the interview with friends, family members, or girl/boyfriends. If they come with you (for whatever reason), have them stay outside the building or in the car.

5) Greet, remember the name of, and be extra pleasant to the receptionist or office person who firsts meets you and will introduce you to the person hiring you. Often times, after the interviews are done for the day, the HR person will ask the receptionist her overall first-impression of each candidate. Watch what you say in the waiting room area!

6) Do your homework. Read about the company to find out how long they have been in business and/or who their biggest competitors are. When your prospective employer asks you if you have any questions, don’t say, “What does your company do?!”

7) Have a firm handshake and look the people in the eyes.

8) Be sure to get a business card from everyone who interviews you; this way, you will have the correct name, spelling, title, and address for your thank you notes!

9) If/when you are offered the job, I rarely recommend accepting the offer during the first interview. You need time to think about it. Did you ask about benefits? Do you have to work 2 years before you get a week off? Is this the place you want to spend 40+ hours a week?

10) A standard question asked during an interview is “What is a weakness you have?” Prepare your answer for this before you go on the interview. Select a weakness that can be then turned around to be a strength. For example, instead of saying that you tend to pass out every night from drinking too much and are then often late for work in the morning, you can come up with a much better weakness that won’t raise a flag. “I tend to be a perfectionist and except nothing but the best from my team; if they don’t produce it, I ten

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

abubakar in Houston, Texas

53 months ago

yes its

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

abubakar in Houston, Texas

53 months ago

pls tel me the basic that prepare me for medical assistance class

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MA2010 in Lansing, Illinois

51 months ago

My problem is that I have 4+ years as a Medical Assistant. I recently retook the class because the school that I went to closed and my creditials went out the window. I basically had to go back to school to retake the class because the school wasn't accreditated. The physician I worked for relocated to another state and I found it difficult to find another job without the certifications. Now that I have the certifications, no one is responding to my resume. Can someone help me figure out what to do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.