No new grads? whats the point of going to school than?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 51)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Lindsey. H in Los Angeles, California

48 months ago

I graduated my medical assisting class in June of this year and have been actively seeking employment ever since. I'm feeling a little down today because every single job posting there is either sais "no new grads" or "1-3 years of exp. required". Its very frustrating that nobody wants to give me a chance, i mean, i really studied my butt off to graduate at the top of my class and waking up every morning at 630 to be at school until 3 pm, had an exam or a quiz just about everyday, i consistently got A's on. I read and read and absorbed all this information. And i did it so i could hopefully get a good job that i can be proud of. Please, if you can give me some sound advice, or maybe a job lead, i would be so grateful. Because at this point, im starting to think that i weent to school for nothing. anyway, just had to get it off my chest...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

S_Thomas006 in Hephzibah, Georgia

48 months ago

Lindsey. H in Los Angeles, California said: I graduated my medical assisting class in June of this year and have been actively seeking employment ever since. I'm feeling a little down today because every single job posting there is either sais "no new grads" or "1-3 years of exp. required". Its very frustrating that nobody wants to give me a chance, i mean, i really studied my butt off to graduate at the top of my class and waking up every morning at 630 to be at school until 3 pm, had an exam or a quiz just about everyday, i consistently got A's on. I read and read and absorbed all this information. And i did it so i could hopefully get a good job that i can be proud of. Please, if you can give me some sound advice, or maybe a job lead, i would be so grateful. Because at this point, im starting to think that i weent to school for nothing. anyway, just had to get it off my chest...

You are not boy yourself I have been feeling down for months because I don't see any MA jobs and when I do find some they don't want new grads and want you to have experience I am so close to giving up on Medical Assistant but I don't want to just give up on it when I went to school and now graduated from it I finished the MA program in March of this year and graduated in May and I am still unemployed I have had interviews they tell me they will get back with me and I don't hear back from the jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

isabelle in Avondale, Arizona

48 months ago

Lindsey. H in Los Angeles, California said: I graduated my medical assisting class in June of this year and have been actively seeking employment ever since. I'm feeling a little down today because every single job posting there is either sais "no new grads" or "1-3 years of exp. required". Its very frustrating that nobody wants to give me a chance, i mean, i really studied my butt off to graduate at the top of my class and waking up every morning at 630 to be at school until 3 pm, had an exam or a quiz just about everyday, i consistently got A's on. I read and read and absorbed all this information. And i did it so i could hopefully get a good job that i can be proud of. Please, if you can give me some sound advice, or maybe a job lead, i would be so grateful. Because at this point, im starting to think that i weent to school for nothing. anyway, just had to get it off my chest...

same here..honor grad, work so hard, drove 45 min everyday to and from school, didnt miss any school days, and yet i feel like im back where i started. they want expierence or bilingual in spanish..how will i get expierence when they cant even give us a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Matt, NCMA in Salt Lake City, Utah

48 months ago

isabelle in Avondale, Arizona said: same here..honor grad, work so hard, drove 45 min everyday to and from school, didnt miss any school days, and yet i feel like im back where i started. they want expierence or bilingual in spanish..how will i get expierence when they cant even give us a chance.

Hi Isabelle, There are jobs out there, you just to keep on looking. In order to get experience, check with the local Hospitals in your area about volunteering...also check with your family to see if he would let you volunteer for him for a while. This will give you valuable experience. There should be some free or low income clinics in your area. Those are some good places to check as well. Good luck in your journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Fredericksburg, Virginia

48 months ago

Well I graduated in May 2008 and I have worked in one office for 3 months but got laid due to the doctor decided to leave the practice and they did not need me. Since then I I have been applying to job after job and then I get a couple of interviews but get rejected due to lack of experince. My question is how are you suppose to get that if no one wants to give you a chance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lindsey. H in Los Angeles, California

48 months ago

Yeah i totally feel you but I'm just trying to stay positive now. Someone will hire us, two of my classmates that were in my class actually got jobs before we even graduated. One of them works at a dermatology office and the other works at a plastic surgeons office. I guess you just have to sell yourself ya know and its good to meet people face to face, my friend would go after school everyday and drop off her resumes until she got a job. It just takes patience, at least thats what i'm telling myself now. I got a couple good leads on craigslist too that weren't requiring experience. So just keep at it everyday, and if u cant wait any longer, go back to school or just volunteer somewhere and that might be some good experience. Anyways, good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

isabelle in Avondale, Arizona

48 months ago

that is the thing.. i dont have family here.. just me and my husband..i move out here from GA and its hard when you dont have that support im trying really really hard

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Keene, New Hampshire

48 months ago

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I have the same problem with job hunting. I have done so many online and mailing resumes. I went for 9 interviews. No good luck yet. Even if just a per diem position they would want you to have years experience. My question is the same :if we don't even have an opportunity of getting hired,how the hell we gain experience?or should those MA school be closed????I borrowed so much student loan,spent so much time,and study so hard. I got all A's for my classes. BUT so discouraged now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lindsey. H in Los Angeles, California

48 months ago

I know its like all these commercials come on during the day about how medical assisting is a fast growing career thats in high demand but then you graduate and try and find a job and no one wants to hire new grads. It should almost be illegal for an employer to actually say No new graduates allowed because ya know what it doesn't sound much like equal opportunity employment to me. I still study my procedures every day to keep my mind fresh and sometimes i feel like i'm just doing it in vein...anyways does anyone ever follow up on craigslist by emailing back those addresses that come along with the job postings? because Ive sent a couple letters back and i am wondering if those even go to real people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

48 months ago

Lindsey. H in Los Angeles, California said: I know its like all these commercials come on during the day about how medical assisting is a fast growing career thats in high demand but then you graduate and try and find a job and no one wants to hire new grads. It should almost be illegal for an employer to actually say No new graduates allowed because ya know what it doesn't sound much like equal opportunity employment to me. I still study my procedures every day to keep my mind fresh and sometimes i feel like i'm just doing it in vein...anyways does anyone ever follow up on craigslist by emailing back those addresses that come along with the job postings? because Ive sent a couple letters back and i am wondering if those even go to real people.

I certainly hope that your comment about the illegality of not hiring new grads was said out of frustration and not sincerity, because if you are being serious, that is the most ridiculous sentence I have read in awhile.

You are not alone in this, medical assisting is not alone in this, in case you did not notice, there is high unemployment, which means that more people are applying for the same jobs which means more competition. Most new grads (in any field) are facing the same situations as you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lindsey. H in Los Angeles, California

48 months ago

yeah your right, it is frustrating though. i'm not giving up yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

valentine in South Jordan, Utah

48 months ago

Lindsey. H in Los Angeles, California said: yeah your right, it is frustrating though. i'm not giving up yet.

You shouldn't give up, no one said you should. I was just pointing out that while frustrating, you are not alone in this, and eventually, someone will give you your chance.

Matt in SLC gave some good advice, volunteer or take a job a little lower down, gain the necessary experience to move up. Many of us who are in medicine, started out the same way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jane Roth in New York, New York

48 months ago

RN is much better. In the USA it is a 2 year degree.
I am in staffing so I know.

Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lindsey. H in Los Angeles, California

48 months ago

Thanks and yeah that is good advice ill definitely try volunteering.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike Hager in Glendale, Arizona

48 months ago

Lindsey. H in Los Angeles, California said: Thanks and yeah that is good advice ill definitely try volunteering.

I Graduated in 09 just fresh of the recession, and no I have not found work at all as an MA. I graduated with the NCMA, NCPT, BLS/CPR, and HIPAA certifications and had all the skills due to my prior experience as a Medical Coder and Biller. I decided to due the volunteer thing for about 10 months just to find out that employers don't want to hire you for being a volunteer because you worked for no wage. Sounds stupid? Yeah I agree politics is just that way. Medical Assisting is an awesome job. I would have loved to do it, but there really isn't any openings for the new grads. Don't think that an employer will just let you do volunteer work at their clinic either because they still have to insure you escpecially with phlebotomy. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

michelle in Downey, California

48 months ago

same here in orange co california, finished my MA schooling back in April did my extern for a place who only used students for free labor then ships them off when they are done. now i cannot find a job anywhere all the ads i see are the same as what you all are saying "NO NEW GRADS" or "2 TO 5 YEARS EXP" its very frustrating and depressing to go to interview after interview and then they never call me back. they always choose the other person who has the more exp. everyday i feel like giving up but something inside me tells me to just hang on and keep trying. its so hard though because i feel like i wasted my time and i got very good grades and almost perfect attendance yet all the people who screwed around at school and failed tests and mods they are the ones who got jobs and not me i hate it! its unfair and depressing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt, NCMA in South Jordan, Utah

48 months ago

michelle in Downey, California said: same here in orange co california, finished my MA schooling back in April did my extern for a place who only used students for free labor then ships them off when they are done. now i cannot find a job anywhere all the ads i see are the same as what you all are saying "NO NEW GRADS" or "2 TO 5 YEARS EXP" its very frustrating and depressing to go to interview after interview and then they never call me back. they always choose the other person who has the more exp. everyday i feel like giving up but something inside me tells me to just hang on and keep trying. its so hard though because i feel like i wasted my time and i got very good grades and almost perfect attendance yet all the people who screwed around at school and failed tests and mods they are the ones who got jobs and not me i hate it! its unfair and depressing.

Hi there, I know what's its like to try and find a MA job, I have been looking for a long time. I just got hired two weeks ago. Give PHS Staffing a try they are in California and they are looking for MA's and CNA'S. Do a google search and you will find them on there. Good luck in search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

michelle in Downey, California

48 months ago

Matt, NCMA in South Jordan, Utah said: Hi there, I know what's its like to try and find a MA job, I have been looking for a long time. I just got hired two weeks ago. Give PHS Staffing a try they are in California and they are looking for MA's and CNA'S. Do a google search and you will find them on there. Good luck in search.

thank you i will give it a try. so far all the medical staffing services out here tell me they cant help me unless i have one year exp. but its worth a try to call this place anyways!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

S_Thomas006 in Augusta, Georgia

47 months ago

Jane Roth in New York, New York said: RN is much better. In the USA it is a 2 year degree.
I am in staffing so I know.

Good Luck

Around here where I stay RN is a 4 yr degree and LPN is 2

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in San Diego, California

47 months ago

Matt, NCMA in South Jordan, Utah said: Hi there, I know what's its like to try and find a MA job, I have been looking for a long time. I just got hired two weeks ago. Give PHS Staffing a try they are in California and they are looking for MA's and CNA'S. Do a google search and you will find them on there. Good luck in search.

Hi Matt, Hope your family is doing well. Congratulations!. I'm happy for you. Any employer would be fortunate to have you on their team. I want to share, I went with a couple of friends on my first tandem skydive Thursday September 16th, 2010 with Skydive San Diego in Jamul, CA. It was a blast!. I enjoyed it and plan to do my next jump solo. I decided on the basic video, to record my exciting adventure, which is basically a miniature camera strapped to my instructor's wrist, so in a couple of weeks when I receive my CD/DVD, I'll get to see
how dorky I looked. On a tandem jump, you're up close and personal with your instructor, who helps you gear up and tightly straps you to the front of him/her while telling you what to do when it's close to jump time. When the door opened, I put my goggles then I scooted to the door, crouched down and held on to my shoulder straps and with my instructor's forward momentum, we fell out of the plane. On the ground they jokingly emphasized not making any fast movements like jumping, to avoid knocking out our instructor while exiting the plane. Yeah, I would say that's pertinent information. At 13,000 feet we exited the plane freefalling for approximately 1 minute, which is about 5,000 feet, then my instructor deployed the parachute, which by the way was just a small tug and nothing like the strong jerk I had imagined, and we enjoyed the scenery as we floated down to the drop zone. It was a surprisingly soft landing. I watched my friends land an then we each received a Skydive Certificate. It was fantastic!. I wish everyone well. Enjoy the journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Matt, NCMA in South Jordan, Utah

47 months ago

Rolinda in San Diego, California said: Hi Matt, Hope your family is doing well. Congratulations!. I'm happy for you. Any employer would be fortunate to have you on their team. I want to share, I went with a couple of friends on my first tandem skydive Thursday September 16th, 2010 with Skydive San Diego in Jamul, CA. It was a blast!. I enjoyed it and plan to do my next jump solo. I decided on the basic video, to record my exciting adventure, which is basically a miniature camera strapped to my instructor's wrist, so in a couple of weeks when I receive my CD/DVD, I'll get to see
how dorky I looked. On a tandem jump, you're up close and personal with your instructor, who helps you gear up and tightly straps you to the front of him/her while telling you what to do when it's close to jump time. When the door opened, I put my goggles then I scooted to the door, crouched down and held on to my shoulder straps and with my instructor's forward momentum, we fell out of the plane. On the ground they jokingly emphasized not making any fast movements like jumping, to avoid knocking out our instructor while exiting the plane. Yeah, I would say that's pertinent information. At 13,000 feet we exited the plane freefalling for approximately 1 minute, which is about 5,000 feet, then my instructor deployed the parachute, which by the way was just a small tug and nothing like the strong jerk I had imagined, and we enjoyed the scenery as we floated down to the drop zone. It was a surprisingly soft landing. I watched my friends land an then we each received a Skydive Certificate. It was fantastic!. I wish everyone well. Enjoy the journey.

Hi Rolinda, I wanted to thank you first of all for your kind words. I'm happy to be done with school, it wasn't as hard as lot of people make it out to be, I sailed right through it. My family is happy too. Sky diving is a lot of fun after you have done a few times.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Matt, NCMA in South Jordan, Utah

47 months ago

Hi Rolinda, Sorry I got cut off from on the reply line. I was saying in the ARMY I had to do that a few times with full gear on. I was scared the first few times. The one thing that sticks outs in my mind is when your up there flying and the feeling of being like a bird or as light as a feather...its such a peaceful feeling. I always felt like I could reach out and touch God, and for a short time I believe I did. "I'm so proud of you". I know one thing, that's one experience in life you'll not forget anytime soon. I was wondering what happened to everybody that used to come on here. I'm glad to see you come come back on here from time to time. I'm not on here that much anymore. It would be neat if one day we could meet in person, that would be awesome. Well I hope you have a good day and take care, it was good hearing from you again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in San Diego, California

47 months ago

Matt, NCMA in South Jordan, Utah said: Hi Rolinda, I wanted to thank you first of all for your kind words. I'm happy to be done with school, it wasn't as hard as lot of people make it out to be, I sailed right through it. My family is happy too. Sky diving is a lot of fun after you have done a few times.

Hi Matt. Glad to hear school went well for you. A belated "Congratulations on your graduation." Your family must be so proud of you, I know I am. Yes, skydiving is fantastic!. It sounds like you skydive?. I wanted to do it for a long time, but not by myself and when I asked friends and family if they wanted to do it with me, they responded...."Are you crazy?!." or "Why would you want to jump out of a perfectly good plane?!." Finally, my opportunity came when a friend/coworker asked me if I would like to go skydiving and celebrate her 40th bithday with her. "Of course I will!." Although it took a few months, her birthday was in May, we did it. We met with two friends, one who said this is his third tandem jump and the other, who was there only for moral support, said he has also done a tandem jump, affirming that we would be okay. For me, there was no fear. I was so ready to do it, but my friend was feeling it just before we met with our instructors who tightened the straps on our gear before we climbed the ladder and stepped onto the plane. My instructor immediately clipped us together but left the straps loose, explaining he would tighten them when we were closer to our maximum altitude. Since I was the last one in, I would be the first tandem jumper out. It took about 10 minutes to reach 13,000 feet and as we got closer, my instructor tightened our straps and said "When the door opens, put your goggles on and get ready to scoot over to the door." When the door opened, I put my goggles on. The solo jumpers left first. Then I scooted over to the door and off we went. "Incredible!." I would recommend skydiving to everyone. Enjoy the journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Matt, NCMA in South Jordan, Utah

47 months ago

Rolinda in San Diego, California said: Hi Matt. Glad to hear school went well for you. A belated "Congratulations on your graduation." Your family must be so proud of you, I know I am. Yes, skydiving is fantastic!. It sounds like you skydive?. I wanted to do it for a long time, but not by myself and when I asked friends and family if they wanted to do it with me, they responded...."Are you crazy?!." or "Why would you want to jump out of a perfectly good plane?!." Finally, my opportunity came when a friend/coworker asked me if I would like to go skydiving and celebrate her 40th bithday with her. "Of course I will!." Although it took a few months, her birthday was in May, we did it. We met with two friends, one who said this is his third tandem jump and the other, who was there only for moral support, said he has also done a tandem jump, affirming that we would be okay. For me, there was no fear. I was so ready to do it, but my friend was feeling it just before we met with our instructors who tightened the straps on our gear before we climbed the ladder and stepped onto the plane. My instructor immediately clipped us together but left the straps loose, explaining he would tighten them when we were closer to our maximum altitude. Since I was the last one in, I would be the first tandem jumper out. It took about 10 minutes to reach 13,000 feet and as we got closer, my instructor tightened our straps and said "When the door opens, put your goggles on and get ready to scoot over to the door." When the door opened, I put my goggles on. The solo jumpers left first. Then I scooted over to the door and off we went. "Incredible!." I would recommend skydiving to everyone. Enjoy the journey.

I remember the first I did it I was scared "Poop less". After you do it a few times it gets easier. I wish you all the best with sky diving.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Instructor in Aurora, Colorado

47 months ago

You have to know how to market yourself...That's what it all boils down too.. I've helped many New CMA and CNA's land high paying jobs. You gotta sell yourself simple as that.

www.stethoscopes-for-sale.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Rolinda in San Diego, California

47 months ago

Matt, NCMA in South Jordan, Utah said: Hi Rolinda, Sorry I got cut off from on the reply line. I was saying in the ARMY I had to do that a few times with full gear on. I was scared the first few times. The one thing that sticks outs in my mind is when your up there flying and the feeling of being like a bird or as light as a feather...its such a peaceful feeling. I always felt like I could reach out and touch God, and for a short time I believe I did. "I'm so proud of you". I know one thing, that's one experience in life you'll not forget anytime soon. I was wondering what happened to everybody that used to come on here. I'm glad to see you come come back on here from time to time. I'm not on here that much anymore. It would be neat if one day we could meet in person, that would be awesome. Well I hope you have a good day and take care, it was good hearing from you again.

Hi Matt, I agree, It's amazing!. Skydiving is an incredible experience. I believe that feeling of peace....is God. My friends and I bonded and said a prayer in the parking lot. Since anything in our pockets will fly out and be lost, we left our belongings....wallets, keys, cellphones, etc....in the car before entering the building to fill out and sign our book of paperwork. Memories and experiences is what life is all about. I understand, Life keeps us busy. It is always good hearing from you and I hope you will keep in touch and let me know how you and your family are doing. I too think it would be great to meet in person. Continue your good works Matt. All my best to everyone. Enjoy the journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Matt, NCMA in South Jordan, Utah

47 months ago

Instructor in Aurora, Colorado said: You have to know how to market yourself...That's what it all boils down too.. I've helped many New CMA and CNA's land high paying jobs. You gotta sell yourself simple as that.

www.stethoscopes-for-sale.com

Hi there, I could not said it any better myself. I see to many people on this forum give up so easily. I look at this way, after school you still work just as hard, if not even harder. There are jobs out there for everybody...a person just needs to apply themselves. I will admit it will take a while to find the right job you just can't give up. Thank you for sharing your message.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt, NCMA in South Jordan, Utah

47 months ago

Rolinda in San Diego, California said: Hi Matt, I agree, It's amazing!. Skydiving is an incredible experience. I believe that feeling of peace....is God. My friends and I bonded and said a prayer in the parking lot. Since anything in our pockets will fly out and be lost, we left our belongings....wallets, keys, cellphones, etc....in the car before entering the building to fill out and sign our book of paperwork. Memories and experiences is what life is all about. I understand, Life keeps us busy. It is always good hearing from you and I hope you will keep in touch and let me know how you and your family are doing. I too think it would be great to meet in person. Continue your good works Matt. All my best to everyone. Enjoy the journey.

Hi Rolinda, There seems to be a delay in the system tonight. I just got your message a few minutes ago. I only done sky diving in the ARMY, I would like to go up again someday and I will. For right now just getting back to work is really great for me and my family. You're right life is to short and we should make the most of it. I know we will meet someday. The funny thing it will not be because we write to each other on this forum, it will be from something else. Remember always to be one with the force and it will be one with you. God bless you and your family. Good night.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

B1NA2 in Alpharetta, Georgia

47 months ago

isabelle in Avondale, Arizona said: that is the thing.. i dont have family here.. just me and my husband..i move out here from GA and its hard when you dont have that support im trying really really hard

Tried applying at a rehab facility (a long-term inpatient style one)? There are alot out there. It sucks here in GA, even my bff that moved from GA to AZ said the south is just suffering much more (I have been out of work for what feels like ages!). She has been able to find work in various fields (including the HC facilities that I mentioned before). You might have to commute or stay overnight but a job like that.. it would be well worth it for the resume work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Scoots in West Union, Ohio

47 months ago

Jane Roth in New York, New York said: RN is much better. In the USA it is a 2 year degree.
I am in staffing so I know.

Good Luck

Yeah? Not true. RN grads are having the same difficulty finding jobs. Go over on the nursing forums if you don't believe me.

I backed out of going for the RN because of this and I am ready to back out of the MA for the same reason. Plus, 2 years of $20,000 loans is just insane!

I'll go back to my previous field FOR FREE where there are no jobs either!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tankweti in Poughkeepsie, New York

45 months ago

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah said: I certainly hope that your comment about the illegality of not hiring new grads was said out of frustration and not sincerity, because if you are being serious, that is the most ridiculous sentence I have read in awhile.

You are not alone in this, medical assisting is not alone in this, in case you did not notice, there is high unemployment, which means that more people are applying for the same jobs which means more competition. Most new grads (in any field) are facing the same situations as you.

You are not alone, not that that statement helps. I am a new grad RN, BSN, with honors and cannot find work. No one wants new grads in our profession either. Have had one interview in the 6 months since I graduated and did not get the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anthony in Winnetka, California

45 months ago

Matt, NCMA in South Jordan, Utah said: Hi there, I know what's its like to try and find a MA job, I have been looking for a long time. I just got hired two weeks ago. Give PHS Staffing a try they are in California and they are looking for MA's and CNA'S. Do a google search and you will find them on there. Good luck in search.

Im sorry but they dont help either they want at least 1 year experience canidates and this doenst really help people like us new grads.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Barbara in Tucson, Arizona

44 months ago

Pigbitin Mad in Mount Vernon, New York said: The people who run these stupid schools do not want to admit that all future work is going to India. They even told us this at the unemployment office. So I guess you went to school for nothing. It's OK, I went to Library School for nothing. if everyone stops going to these vocational schools we will be a lot better off. You may as well save the money because there ARE NO JOBS OF ANY KIND ANYWHERE.

I am starting to believe this too. Business as usual for schools.

Can you imagine what is happening in the nearest future with so many young people becoming desperate? Not a pretty picture, I guess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

fbowling in Arvada, Colorado

43 months ago

Hi All,

I just passed my NNAP/ CNA certification in Colorado. My plans are to get a job where I took my clinical. Have already submitted an application... it looks promising. I would also suggest you apply where you'd like to work, and call around to ask if they hire new grads. The down side is to settle for a shift you may not want. But the goal is to get in the door!! Good luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MARIO COLLINS in Brooklyn, New York

30 months ago

WOW I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE, I GRADUATED IN JUNE AND KNOW ONE HAS EVEN THOUGHT OF CALLING ME I DID TWO DIFFERENT EXTERNSHIPS FOR MORE SKILLS AND TO HAVE MORE EXPERIENCE THEN THE REST OF THE SCHOOL WHO ONLY DID ONE EXTERNSHIP. THAT LED TO NOTHING BUT WORKING IN A WAREHOUSE. NOW I OWE 16000 FOR AN EDUCATION THATS GOT ME NOTHING BUT A BILL. I NEED HELP IM 31 AND WENT BACK TO SCHOOL SO MY KIDS CAN HAVE AN ROLE MODEL BUT OF COURSE THINGS ARE ALWAYS BAD FOR ME, EVEN WHEN I GO TO JOBPLACEMENT AGENCIES THEY DONT HAVE NOTHING FOR WHAT I GRADUATED FOR. I WOULD REALLY LIKE SOME GOOD HELP PLEASE, A STRUGGLING FATHER.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Volunteer in Hospital in Phoenix, Arizona

29 months ago

Hello everyone. I graduated my Medical Assisting in Oct. 2010. I can't even find a job until now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Vanessa M in Fort Washington, Maryland

24 months ago

i am going though the same thing and its so sad.

Lindsey. H in Los Angeles, California said: I graduated my medical assisting class in June of this year and have been actively seeking employment ever since. I'm feeling a little down today because every single job posting there is either sais "no new grads" or "1-3 years of exp. required". Its very frustrating that nobody wants to give me a chance, i mean, i really studied my butt off to graduate at the top of my class and waking up every morning at 630 to be at school until 3 pm, had an exam or a quiz just about everyday, i consistently got A's on. I read and read and absorbed all this information. And i did it so i could hopefully get a good job that i can be proud of. Please, if you can give me some sound advice, or maybe a job lead, i would be so grateful. Because at this point, im starting to think that i weent to school for nothing. anyway, just had to get it off my chest...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California

23 months ago

Lindsey. H in Los Angeles, California said: I graduated my medical assisting class in June of this year and have been actively seeking employment ever since. I'm feeling a little down today because every single job posting there is either sais "no new grads" or "1-3 years of exp. required". Its very frustrating that nobody wants to give me a chance, i mean, i really studied my butt off to graduate at the top of my class and waking up every morning at 630 to be at school until 3 pm, had an exam or a quiz just about everyday, i consistently got A's on. I read and read and absorbed all this information. And i did it so i could hopefully get a good job that i can be proud of. Please, if you can give me some sound advice, or maybe a job lead, i would be so grateful. Because at this point, im starting to think that i weent to school for nothing. anyway, just had to get it off my chest...

I am a 52 year old male and I am thinking about going to start a program here in southern california that is an Adult Education School. The certificate will be in Adminstrative and Clinical Medical Assistant with Phlebothomy Technician 1. The program is 20 weeks plus externship for Adminstrative and Clinical Medical Assistant 4 weeks and phlebothomy technician 2 weeks. The total cost is $4,899 that also includes the NCCT certification testing, test prep and skills workshop. This is not a CAAHEP approved program.

I am currently on unemployment so at least I am getting paid while going back to school. And a program in Los Angeles call Work Source will pay for the program.

They have no job placement department

Are schools that are not accredited by the state of Caliornia still good to go to? There are for profit schools that are 8 months classroom and 1 month externship but are around $15,000. Will doctor's offices not hire you because you went to a shorter program but you are certified by NCCT?

Any thoughts

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

23 months ago

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California said: I am a 52 year old male and I am thinking about going to start a program here in southern california that is an Adult Education School. The certificate will be in Adminstrative and Clinical Medical Assistant with Phlebothomy Technician 1. The program is 20 weeks plus externship for Adminstrative and Clinical Medical Assistant 4 weeks and phlebothomy technician 2 weeks. The total cost is $4,899 that also includes the NCCT certification testing, test prep and skills workshop. This is not a CAAHEP approved program.

I am currently on unemployment so at least I am getting paid while going back to school. And a program in Los Angeles call Work Source will pay for the program.

They have no job placement department

Are schools that are not accredited by the state of Caliornia still good to go to? There are for profit schools that are 8 months classroom and 1 month externship but are around $15,000. Will doctor's offices not hire you because you went to a shorter program but you are certified by NCCT?

Any thoughts

Be very careful here! My niece is a Medical Assistant and she had a heck of time getting a job. This is what she says:

1. Many places will not hire you unless you are from an approved school.
2. Many places will not hire you unless you are bi-lingual.
3. Many places will not hire you unless you have real experience.

What you want to do is take a few Medical Assistants to lunch and get the real story.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California

23 months ago

I am in California, so when you say approved school, approved by who. Is your niece certified by NCCT?

What type schoold did your niece go to and how long was the program?

How do employers know if you went to a approved school if you are certified by NCCT which is a national exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

23 months ago

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California said: I am in California, so when you say approved school, approved by who. Is your niece certified by NCCT?

What type schoold did your niece go to and how long was the program?

How do employers know if you went to a approved school if you are certified by NCCT which is a national exam?

Every school a student goes to should be ACCREDITED. LOOK IT UP.

Basically means that it has been approved by some official body or organization. It has been recognized to have met certain requirements.

By going to a school that is not accredited your degree or certificate might not be accepted by certain companies and or other schools if you want to transfer the credits.

Never go to a school that is not accredited. Whether your studying accounting or finger painting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Andrea in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

23 months ago

Graduated in december 2008, still no job here either. You are not alone, yep its sad because i loved being a medical assistant and i really felt it was what i was meant to do. At this point i feel like i have to move on, i really dont have the money, but i cant pay back tuition making 8 bucks an hour. i dont want to be just barely getting by. i geuss i will have to be in more debt and go to school for nursing. Almost finished prerequisites but i keep holding onto hope for an ma job so i dont have to fish out more money. I cant have school paid for being that i cant collect unemployment. if anyone lives in the area or has any feedback or information please hit me up. Don't hesistate i know its been hard.People cant understand how competitive it is. I feel like everyone is blaming me, i cant make someone pick up the phone and ask me to come into an interview. I really think it all has to do with who you know, where you live, your experience and timing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

akurtz in New York, New York

19 months ago

I'm a reporter with CNNMoney in New York, and I'd like to write an article shining some light on this issue. Please send me an email at annalyn(dot)kurtz(at)cnn(dot)com, if you're interested in discussing the numerous "no new grad" ads in the nursing field. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dawn in Round Lake, Illinois

18 months ago

Funny I thought I was the only one feeling this way...guess not. I'm not sure if this reassuring or confirms my belief that I went to school for nothing. My school didn't offer an externship program unless you were going to be a Registered Medical Assistant. Has anyone else experienced this? I am going to keep trying and I hope all of you do the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California

16 months ago

akurtz in New York, New York said: I'm a reporter with CNNMoney in New York, and I'd like to write an article shining some light on this issue. Please send me an email at annalyn(dot)kurtz(at)cnn(dot)com, if you're interested in discussing the numerous "no new grad" ads in the nursing field. Thanks.[/QUO

I live just north of Los Angeles and just completed my 160 hours externship for medical assistant. Trying to look for a job. I am a 53 year old male. Everyone wants you to have at least 1 year of experience as a medical assistant (and in some ads, NO NEW GRADS) and here in California they also want you to speak fluent Spanish. No one will give you a break.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California

16 months ago

Lindsey. H in Los Angeles, California said: I graduated my medical assisting class in June of this year and have been actively seeking employment ever since. I'm feeling a little down today because every single job posting there is either sais "no new grads" or "1-3 years of exp. required". Its very frustrating that nobody wants to give me a chance, i mean, i really studied my butt off to graduate at the top of my class and waking up every morning at 630 to be at school until 3 pm, had an exam or a quiz just about everyday, i consistently got A's on. I read and read and absorbed all this information. And i did it so i could hopefully get a good job that i can be proud of. Please, if you can give me some sound advice, or maybe a job lead, i would be so grateful. Because at this point, im starting to think that i weent to school for nothing. anyway, just had to get it off my chest...

I live in the San Fernando Valley and just completed my 160 hours externship for medical assistant. Trying to look for a job. I am a 53 year old male. Everyone wants you to have at least 1 year of experience as a medical assistant (and in some ads, NO NEW GRADS) and here in California they also want you to speak fluent Spanish. No one will give you a break.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

16 months ago

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California said: I live in the San Fernando Valley and just completed my 160 hours externship for medical assistant. Trying to look for a job. I am a 53 year old male. Everyone wants you to have at least 1 year of experience as a medical assistant (and in some ads, NO NEW GRADS) and here in California they also want you to speak fluent Spanish. No one will give you a break.

My niece had the exact same problem. No experience and no Spanish.

She ended up in an assisted living facility in a bad part of town. The school (under their breath) told her to go there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California

15 months ago

Lindsey. H in Los Angeles, California said: I know its like all these commercials come on during the day about how medical assisting is a fast growing career thats in high demand but then you graduate and try and find a job and no one wants to hire new grads. It should almost be illegal for an employer to actually say No new graduates allowed because ya know what it doesn't sound much like equal opportunity employment to me. I still study my procedures every day to keep my mind fresh and sometimes i feel like i'm just doing it in vein...anyways does anyone ever follow up on craigslist by emailing back those addresses that come along with the job postings? because Ive sent a couple letters back and i am wondering if those even go to real people.

Have you found a MA job yet? I live in the San Fernando Valley and just completed my 160 hours externship for medical assistant. Trying to look for a job. I am a 53 year old male. Everyone wants you to have at least 1 year of experience as a medical assistant (and in some ads, NO NEW GRADS) and here in California they also want you to speak fluent Spanish. No one will give you a break.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Angelika22 in New York

15 months ago

I'm hopefully gonna be doing a medical assistant program this summer. I have always wanted to work in a doctor's office and since I don't plan on going back to college yet I wanted to do something in my spare time. I am a little nervous about the school loan, especially since I will need a loan when I go back for my RN. I hope I'll be able to get a job when I am done. At least I'll have my CNA to fall back on if I have any trouble.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Marvina, Los Angeles in Whittier, California

1 month ago

I know what you mean!
Going thru breast cancer was alot easier than securing a "career-oriented position as a newly Certified Medical Assistant. It's true, employers always say "no experience, but would prefer 2-5 years or willing to train." It isn't true, someone such as myself could possess the enthusuasm to be of service, to learn, and apply all that I've saved every penny to pay for and study, have studied long hours, have brave insurmountable odds to attain a certification and/or license...to NOT be given an opportunity to impact the lives of patients', as well as myself...all for nothing. I went to an interview and it as said, "I was too over the top!" Don't you want to hire someone with a passion for healing? And, the "Spanish speaking" comment, yet another obstacle. I may not know Spanish, but I do know emphathy, respect, excellent bedside manner, give it all I've got, and will grind alongside my medical providers everyday!
It is discouraving, but you've got to believe your Energy given was all for not, someone our there who still loves all of the things that maks life challenging...will see you and gour shine and not be intimidated. They will say, " I need a team member like her/him, they could only make US stronger!" WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T GIVE UP ON BECOMING A MEDICAL ASSISTANT! I am not, I can't! There is a position out there.
Pray and remain diligent!! Blessings in your search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.