Difference in the certificate and diploma programs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Amy in Valley, Alabama

38 months ago

Starting this month I will be doing a certificate course in medical OFFICE assistant. My plan was then to apply for the medical assisting program. This is through my local tech college. The medical Assisting program is 61 semester hours and is a DIPLOMA. The program is CAAHEP accredited.

Ok, now I JUST found out the a community college the next town over has a medical assisting CERTIFICATE program that is only 20 semester credits. It appears that it does not have an externship.

My main reason for confusion is that I do not plan on this being my last stop in schooling. I would like to go back for a degree in Diagnostic Sonography.

Would I be just as likely to get a position working as a medical assistant with the shorter certificate program as I would the longer diploma program.

I know the education is much more in depth with the diploma but my main concern is getting a job.. Any insight is very much welcome... Thank you so much!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California

24 months ago

Amy in Valley, Alabama said: Starting this month I will be doing a certificate course in medical OFFICE assistant . My plan was then to apply for the medical assisting program. This is through my local tech college . The medical Assisting program is 61 semester hours and is a DIPLOMA. The program is CAAHEP accredited.

Ok, now I JUST found out the a community college the next town over has a medical assisting CERTIFICATE program that is only 20 semester credits. It appears that it does not have an externship.

My main reason for confusion is that I do not plan on this being my last stop in schooling. I would like to go back for a degree in Diagnostic Sonography.

Would I be just as likely to get a position working as a medical assistant with the shorter certificate program as I would the longer diploma program.

I know the education is much more in depth with the diploma but my main concern is getting a job.. Any insight is very much welcome... Thank you so much!!!!

I am a 52 year old male and I am thinking about going to start a program here in southern california called Conejo Valley Adult Education. The certificate will be in Adminstrative and Clinical Medical Assistant with Phlebothomy Technician 1. The program is 20 weeks plus externship for Adminstrative and Clinical Medical Assistant 4 weeks and phlebothomy technician 2 weeks. The total cost is $4,899 that also includes the NCCT certification testing, test prep and skills workshop.

I am currently on unemployment so at least I am getting paid while going back to school.

They have no job placement department

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.