Can you get a job if you are not certified?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Colin Sparks, MSO, MA in Seattle, Washington

40 months ago

3 months? Hardly. That sounds like cna more like. The shortest any MA program should be is 8 months, and that's pushing it. If it's 3 months, you are getting ripped off. Dont go for it. A good program is bettween 8 and 15 months. 2 years sounds like LPN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Carmen Rodriguez in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

32 months ago

Evelyn Hernandez in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I got my medicall assistant diploma on 2002. I never went for my certification. I got a job 2 days after my extern, I was working there for 5 years from 2002 intil 2007. I want to go back into the medicall assistant field and I know now in days I have to be certefied and I dont know what do.

I need to study for my certification "what web site" if yes will the school let me take the test after all this years or do i need to do it all over eagen.

I am in the same situation. Please let me know if someone answers this question. Try applying at Esperanza at Kensington and Allegheny. They're pretty good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California

27 months ago

Colin Sparks, MSO, MA in Seattle, Washington said: 3 months? Hardly. That sounds like cna more like. The shortest any MA program should be is 8 months, and that's pushing it. If it's 3 months, you are getting ripped off. Dont go for it. A good program is bettween 8 and 15 months. 2 years sounds like LPN.

I am a 52 year old male and I am thinking about going to start a program here in southern california called Conejo Valley Adult Education. The certificate will be in Adminstrative and Clinical Medical Assistant with Phlebothomy Technician 1. The program is 20 weeks plus externship for Adminstrative and Clinical Medical Assistant 4 weeks and phlebothomy technician 2 weeks. The total cost is $4,899 that also includes the NCCT certification testing, test prep and skills workshop.

I am currently on unemployment so at least I am getting paid while going back to school.

They have no job placement department

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jill in Irwin, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

I am taking an online course, AAS in medical assisting. I found out that I cannot get my certification (CMA) after I graduate because the school is not accredited in that particular area, which means I would not be eligible to take the CMA certification exam.
My question is, do you have to be certified in the state of Pennsylvania to work as a medical assistant?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Kerry1981 in Knoxville, Tennessee

25 months ago

Jill in Irwin, Pennsylvania said: I am taking an online course, AAS in medical assisting. I found out that I cannot get my certification (CMA) after I graduate because the school is not accredited in that particular area, which means I would not be eligible to take the CMA certification exam.
My question is, do you have to be certified in the state of Pennsylvania to work as a medical assistant ?

My sister learned the same lesson Jill did. Apparently you can take an online CMA class in two months. www.nursing-classes.info/certified-medical-assistant/online-medical-assistant-classes/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

halerac88 in Marysville, Washington

24 months ago

Amy in Valley, Alabama said: THe local university has a continuing ed dept that offers a 3 month medical assisting program and then they place you in an externship after that. WOuld I have about as good of a chance at getting a job with that as with the 2 year diploma that is certified? Not trying to find the easy way out.. Just trying to make the right financial decision. Thanks.

You would have a better chance of acquiring a position by getting your certification. Whether going to a techincal college or 2 year college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ChristiWolfe in Hilo, Hawaii

18 months ago

Colin Sparks, MSO, MA in Seattle, Washington said: 3 months? Hardly. That sounds like cna more like. The shortest any MA program should be is 8 months, and that's pushing it. If it's 3 months, you are getting ripped off. Dont go for it. A good program is bettween 8 and 15 months. 2 years sounds like LPN.

Yo Colin - Is this you? Brockmueller asking

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mai in Fresno, California

17 months ago

I completed my 2 years program from a community college. I received my A.S in MA can I perform all medical assistant tasks? Since I have my A.S degree I am considered a MA correct?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Starlage in Seattle, Washington

17 months ago

it depends on your state's laws. I graduated in 2006 and didn't get my national certification because I got a job really quickly out of school and the hospital I work at doesn't require it. But now, the washington state laws have changed and MAs have a scope of practice. In order to work in washington as an MA now you have to be certified with the state and in order to do that you have to have passed the national certification test. There's no way in hell I'm going back to take the test, so I plan to stay where I'm at and go back to school in the evenings and work towards something else. I've enjoyed medical assisting, but it's unfortunate we don't get paid more. I live paycheck to paycheck and i'm at the TOP of the payscale where I'm at. Very depressing. It was a great way to get into the medical field though to help me figure out if it's right for me or not. So... my wordy answer... is maybe. Depends on where you live and how saturated the local market is. Employers aren't going to hire an uncertified new MA vs a certified MA. If you're recently out of school, TAKE THE AAMA NATIONAL CERTIFICATION TEST. If I went back to do it now, being 7 years out of school, I'd have to study like crazy to remember everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

denise.still@yahoo.com in Berlin, New Jersey

16 months ago

DO ANYONE OUT THERE NO ANOTHER PLACE OTHER THEN THE (NCCT) I CAN GET MY CERTIFICATION???? WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR (AAMA NATIONAL CERTIFICATION TEST)? I'M IN NEED OF A JOB BADLY. THANKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Matt NCMA in Layton, Utah

16 months ago

Hi there, Check all the Medical Assistant Certification websites they're all different. Different clinics have different certifications that they use, and yes it would be nice they would take all certifications with no questions asked. The Certification I have is through (NCCT) and I have to recertify every year which I don't mind, and with the (AAMA)and(AMT)you have to recertify every five years and show proof that you've been continuing your education every year. I hoped that helped in some way. Good luck in your search.

Mariah in Victoria, Texas

10 months ago

I'm from Texas, and I'm currently in a Medical Assistant program and it is 11 weeks long, it is the real deal, it is through the community college. We have nurses with 30+ years experience as teachers and we even have clinical's that we go into doctors offices and get hands on experience. Definitely not a sham. Everyone who completes the program goes into a doctors office.

juju in San Francisco, California

6 months ago

hello, I am a medical assistant in California "not certified", and will be moving to Texas soon, my question is can I continue to be an M.A. in Texas? or do I need to take the test and be certified?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

SC in Dickson, Tennessee

26 days ago

12 to 13 months for LPN different for different states yes there is some programs 3 month for Medical Assistant.as well 8 month and 9 for MA. CNA (2weeks)is a certification too.The pay is about the same(CNA and MA).RN is 2years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.