Should I go for the medical assistant program?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 75)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

70 months ago

Hi Sarah, I agree with Kat. During this worsening economic crisis our nation is facing, a career with a higher earning potential is essential, especially for those who are single with no one else they can rely on. Thoroughly research careers you have interest in. Respiratory Therapy may be an option for you. I have enjoyed working as an RT for 10 years. It requires attending an accredited 2 year program, earning an Associate Degree, passing the (NBRC)National Board for Respiratory Care's Board Exams and applying for state licensure as a (RCP)Respiratory Care Practitioner, which allows a Respiratory Therapist(RT) to practice respiratory care within that state. Average salary here in my area is around $50,000, which is 13% lower than the sverage salary nationwide. Shadow an MA, LVN, RN, and RT to experience what their day entails. It will help you decide which career is best for you. Since you have been unemployed since April of 2007, you may be able to apply for grants, which will at least help pay for your tuition and textbooks. Grants unlike school loans do not have to be paid back; eliminating future debt. I hope this helps. I wish you well. Good journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Peggy Rivera in Austin, Texas

70 months ago

Hello Sara,
Just wanted to say sorry for your loss but it's time to move on. You will never do anything if you keep yourself there. So here's my advise get out of this rut and only you can do this. Sorry don't mean to be rude but you need to move on.

So anyway, I am a Medical Assistant I have been for 5 years and I love it. Right now I work for a career school that offer MA class and now I am an Externship Coordinator. People ask me why am I here and not out in the medical field. Well I know what it is to struggle to get where you need to get and I'm here to help you. Like I tell my students you will only get out what you put into it.

I to had to put myself through school with no support from my husband and I had 4 kids and home. So while my husband was not there my kids lived on MC Donalds for 11 months. I did what ever I could to do my best to finish. I also worked as a waitress in the morning will I went to school at night. That was the best thing I ever did for myself and for my kids, and I am no longer in the marriage.

So yes start as a Medical Assistant see if you will like it because you have to love what you do to make it work.

Sara, everyone goes through hard times and are in a rut for a while but only you can make it better. SO GET UP, GET OUT AND MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Sincerely

Peggy from Austin and living up with my kids.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lisa in Portland, Oregon

70 months ago

I have been a Medical Assistant for 9 years, i started out at 7.50 an hour and now i make 10.50, I run the lab, plus do all the garbage dumping and nightly cleaning, I want to ask for a raise but fear as being viewed greedy please let me know your opinions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

70 months ago

lisa in Portland, Oregon said: I have been a Medical Assistant for 9 years, i started out at 7.50 an hour and now i make 10.50, I run the lab, plus do all the garbage dumping and nightly cleaning, I want to ask for a raise but fear as being viewed greedy please let me know your opinions.

In 9 years you've only gotten a $3/hr raise??? That's horrible. I don't see how one could live off of that. Have you been with the same company the whole time? Trust me honey, you are NOT being greedy by asking for a raise. I would do some research in your area and find out what the comparable wages are for MAs with your amount of experience. That way you can negotiate better with your employer. I would also try to see about getting annual cost of living raises if possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lisa in Portland, Oregon

70 months ago

Kat in Mansfield, Texas said: In 9 years you've only gotten a $3/hr raise??? That's horrible. I don't see how one could live off of that. Have you been with the same company the whole time? Trust me honey, you are NOT being greedy by asking for a raise. I would do some research in your area and find out what the comparable wages are for MAs with your amount of experience. That way you can negotiate better with your employer. I would also try to see about getting annual cost of living raises if possible.

Yes, I have been with the same physician all this time, I live in a rural area and jobs are heard to come by,so people seem to take advantage of that. It's a family owned general practice, and there are no benefits, I just feel like screaming inside, but i keep doing it for the experience, I just hope things will turn in my favor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sean in Trinity, North Carolina

70 months ago

Kat in Mansfield, Texas said: Why settle for $10/hr? You could attend LPN school and in about 12 months become a nurse and be making twice that much. You might as well take advantage of living with your mom while you still can. Almost every where in the country has a demand for LPNs, despite that some MAs think that they are being "phased out" - not true at all. MA is ok, but I think in the long run LPN is better because it takes just a little longer to complete and you will have much better income, employment opportunity, and educational advancement. Think about it! Good luck!

Anybody know if lincoln tech institute has full accreditations in state of n.j.? also, anyone know if theyre credits are transferable to other schools, or transferable to lpn-rn bridge programs? thanks in advance, all!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

70 months ago

Sean in Trinity, North Carolina said: Anybody know if lincoln tech institute has full accreditations in state of n.j.? also, anyone know if theyre credits are transferable to other schools, or transferable to lpn-rn bridge programs? thanks in advance, all!!!

If your credits are from a private technical school they will most likely not transfer any where else. They to be from a regionally accredited college or university. You will most likely not get any credit for MA courses for a nursing program unless they were non nursing courses like Anatomy and Physiology and taken at a regionally accredited university or college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ashleigh in Portland, Oregon

70 months ago

I was wondering if anybody could tell me if LPN's are only hired at hospices and nursing homes. I would like to know what other places, because what I have read on these forums is that hospitals aren't hiring LPN's anymore. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

claire in Chicago, Illinois

70 months ago

IM CURRENTLY LOOKING INTO STARTING A MEDICAL ASSISTING PROGRAM. IT HAS ALWAYS CAUGHT MY INTEREST. CAN SOMEBODY WHO IS CURRENTLY A MA TELL ME HOW THEY LIKE IT. I WAS ALSO LOOKING INTO CNA BUT STILL DEBATING WHICH ONE WILL PAY OFF MORE. ANY FEEDBACK ..THANK YOU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

70 months ago

ashleigh in Portland, Oregon said: I was wondering if anybody could tell me if LPN's are only hired at hospices and nursing homes. I would like to know what other places, because what I have read on these forums is that hospitals aren't hiring LPN's anymore. Thanks.

This really depends on the region you live in. The two places I have lived and worked as an LPN/LVN DO still hire us in the hospitals. I worked for 1.5 in 2 different hospitals in the Seattle area. The hiring trends for LPNs in hospitals seem to fluctuate anyway. You are certainly are not limited to working hospice or nursing homes. Doctor's offices and clinics still readily use LPNs as well. Do the research in your area though because it is different everywhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Missy in Austin, Texas

70 months ago

claire in Chicago, Illinois said: IM CURRENTLY LOOKING INTO STARTING A MEDICAL ASSISTING PROGRAM. IT HAS ALWAYS CAUGHT MY INTEREST. CAN SOMEBODY WHO IS CURRENTLY A MA TELL ME HOW THEY LIKE IT. I WAS ALSO LOOKING INTO CNA BUT STILL DEBATING WHICH ONE WILL PAY OFF MORE. ANY FEEDBACK ..THANK YOU

From what I've heard, its a good career. Just be VERYY careful of the school you go to. Some of the for-profit schools will take your money and run and leave you jobless. If you can, go to a community college, that way were your credits are good. Or if you happen to go to a trade school, go to a school that has accrediation from the CAAHEP or the ABHES or even a school that is able to have you get certifacation from the NHA, that way you are able to sit for your certifcation exam to be a CMA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

claire in Chicago, Illinois

70 months ago

thank you missy for the advice.. i will definitely look into it.. thanks once again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Missy in Austin, Texas

70 months ago

claire in Chicago, Illinois said: thank you missy for the advice.. i will definitely look into it.. thanks once again.

You are so welcome.
I hate hearing of other peoples bad experiences, who want something better for themselves but end up getting screwed over. Just make sure you do all your homework on the schools and ask TONS of questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Drea in Salt Lake City, Utah

70 months ago

has anyone ever heard of Eagle Gate College? They have a medical assitatnt program that i'm thinking about taking part in. What do you like about being an MA? What do you dislike? (besides pay..) If I maintained a 4.0 GPA throughout the year and a half MA program (and do well on my externship) could I request higher pay?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Drea in Salt Lake City, Utah

70 months ago

*I ment to say if I maintained a 4.0 GPA throughout the 1 1/2 of the MA program

Does it really matter how you do on the externship? Will the employer ask them how well you did?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bre in Grand Rapids, Michigan

70 months ago

Im in a MA program because I just had a baby and I intend to go back for RN, but I need money now, is it worth it???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Megan in Troy, Ohio

68 months ago

I am in the same situation. I have a Bachelors degree in Fashion Merchandising but since then my lifestyle has changed. I want to have a family some day soon and the fashion world would not allow that to happen. I am weeks aways from going back to school to get my associates degree as a MA. I am hoping that since i already have a bachelors degree I might get offered better pay when I graduate. I need to know the good and the bad about the job??? Some people are telling me to become an RN or LPN but I really don't like the dirty and nasty things that nurses have to do. I also like working with paperwork and such and that is why I thought being an MA would be perfect. Please let me know what you think!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

CMA in Lubbock, Texas

68 months ago

sara in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: Ok here's the situation- I'm going back to school for the second time. I start next month, but I haven't registered yet. I'm 26 but there's nothing I want to do with my life. What I mean by that is, I have no passion or talent for anything in life. I have been severly depressed for the past 2 years, and its gotten worser since I lost my dad in August. I know I have to make a living for myself because I can't live with my mom for the rest of my life. I'm unemlpoyed and have been since last year April 2007. I can not find work anywhere, so that why I'm trying to get back in school and trying to make something out of my life. I was thinking about going for the medical assistant program and going for the certificate instead of a degree, so I can get finished sooner. Is that a good idea? Will that be good enough in order to potentially get a job? Because here's the deal I have to be out my mom's house by next fall, and I figure the medical assistant certificate is the way to go because, supposedly there's a growing demand for m.a. and its a job that going to always be around. Or should I look into something else? I know the starting pay rate is usually $10 and up in michigan, and i'm fine with that. I just have to get in a field thats going to always be around and will help me gain employment. Can someone please help me?

If I were you I would go for LVN the schooling is just about three months longer and the pay would be alot better!

Alaina in Tallahassee, Florida

68 months ago

I am currently in a MA program and people at my school say that is is hard to find a job. They either want you to have 2 or 3 years experience, but I'm fresh out of school. So I need help. Oh yeah I'm just 19 years old, so please help me!!!!!!!!!

BJ in Grand Rapids, Michigan

68 months ago

Well your credits can transfer to Baker so to get your foot in the door I would do it.I am doing it!! You wouldn't want to be broke for another 2-3 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alyssa in Portland, Oregon

68 months ago

Baker where? Oregon?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in Fremont, California

68 months ago

Hi everybody, I have a plan and wondering if anyone can tell me if it is a good idea. I am going to do MA for a 1 year program and go work while pursuing a master in health care management because that is what I want to do. I think as being a MA it can help me with tuition as well as some experience in health care field. I'm not sure if this is a good idea doing MA or Medical record... or is there any other health care career that I should study that would be helpful for me? I'm not really sure which one would be more related or helpful for me...Can anyone give me some ideas please?...I don't want to waste my time....I really appreciate that. Thank you and good luck to you all here!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

bj in Grand Rapids, Michigan

68 months ago

alyssa in Portland, Oregon said: Baker where? Oregon?

Well Im from Michigan so I dont know if you have Baker there so I would go to a community college not a university because it would take way too long.

jojos mom in Rockingham, North Carolina

48 months ago

I am a Medical Assistant teacher and let me just say I think MAs get bashed all the time due to the fact more Clinics and Doctors offices prefer to hire Medical Assistants over an LPN or RN and the case is probably that they can pay less and they do the exact same thing in a office or Clinic I'm a Nurse Practitioner who worked at the Mayo clinic for years and I was actually there when they started to let the Nurses especially the LPN go I would not say give up on Medical Assisting in 2012 you no longer have to worry about what certification to get because you will be Licensed just like us Nurses
and you will be trained in IV therapy as well. I don't think LPNs will ever be phased out they are Nurses however a Medical Assistant is a Multi task job so I say stick with it in a couple of years good thing are coming of course that means more schooling and possibly a mandatory degree

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

karly in Plano, Texas

47 months ago

sara in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: Ok here's the situation- I'm going back to school for the second time. I start next month, but I haven't registered yet. I'm 26 but there's nothing I want to do with my life. What I mean by that is, I have no passion or talent for anything in life. I have been severly depressed for the past 2 years, and its gotten worser since I lost my dad in August. I know I have to make a living for myself because I can't live with my mom for the rest of my life. I'm unemlpoyed and have been since last year April 2007. I can not find work anywhere, so that why I'm trying to get back in school and trying to make something out of my life. I was thinking about going for the medical assistant program and going for the certificate instead of a degree, so I can get finished sooner. Is that a good idea? Will that be good enough in order to potentially get a job? Because here's the deal I have to be out my mom's house by next fall, and I figure the medical assistant certificate is the way to go because, supposedly there's a growing demand for m.a. and its a job that going to always be around. Or should I look into something else? I know the starting pay rate is usually $10 and up in michigan, and i'm fine with that. I just have to get in a field thats going to always be around and will help me gain employment. Can someone please help me?

go to lpn school medical assistant do not make anything and no one will hire you without years of experience it is a TOTAL waste of time and money!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

missy in Huntington, West Virginia

47 months ago

jojos mom in Rockingham, North Carolina said: I am a Medical Assistant teacher and let me just say I think MAs get bashed all the time due to the fact more Clinics and Doctors offices prefer to hire Medical Assistants over an LPN or RN and the case is probably that they can pay less and they do the exact same thing in a office or Clinic I'm a Nurse Practitioner who worked at the Mayo clinic for years and I was actually there when they started to let the Nurses especially the LPN go I would not say give up on Medical Assisting in 2012 you no longer have to worry about what certification to get because you will be Licensed just like us Nurses
and you will be trained in IV therapy as well. I don't think LPNs will ever be phased out they are Nurses however a Medical Assistant is a Multi task job so I say stick with it in a couple of years good thing are coming of course that means more schooling and possibly a mandatory degree

I am glad I read your post everyone else had me thinking about not going back to school like I have plans to do here soon.So reading yours I am heading back.THank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

john j in Chicago, Illinois

40 months ago

Trade schools will rip students off, expecially the bigger schools.Go to a local comunity college and do your basics.Do this and challenge yourself. transfer to a 2 year degree and love what you do. Finally, anything that is short in time MA degrees) are usally a wast of time and money and only help greedy schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alyssa in Dade City, Florida

38 months ago

lisa in Portland, Oregon said: I have been a Medical Assistant for 9 years, i started out at 7.50 an hour and now i make 10.50, I run the lab, plus do all the garbage dumping and nightly cleaning, I want to ask for a raise but fear as being viewed greedy please let me know your opinions.

Lisa,
You DESERVE that pay. If you are doing beyond your expectation and (probably out of job description) It's not right to deprive you of money you are WORKING for and for your career sake.
I'm 21 years old. Fresh out of college for about 2 years and I started as a medical assistant at $10.50.. and have been there almost 2 years now making 11.50. Write the administration a letter, my friend did the same thing, and she got her raise!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alyssa in Dade City, Florida

38 months ago

Alaina in Tallahassee, Florida said: I am currently in a MA program and people at my school say that is is hard to find a job. They either want you to have 2 or 3 years experience, but I'm fresh out of school. So I need help. Oh yeah I'm just 19 years old, so please help me!!!!!!!!!

Alaina,
I am 21 years old, i went straight from high school to a Medical institute studied the medical assistant program for a year and graduated. I landed a job doing my clinicals/internship at a medical clinic by word of mouth and had an interview with a doc that was i need of an assistant. Ive been with that same physician for almost two years making decent pay. If i can do it you can do it! You'll be surprised how many facilities actually need more MA's. You can go to hospitals, urgent cares, all types of doctors.. just have to apply yourself and shop around, There will be a shot for you!! You'll learn so much about this job too, so if you still decide to go back to school as an LPN or RN it will come naturally!
Good Luck and dont worry about being left out on the streets :)
Medical field always has room for opportunities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TP722 in Tampa, Florida

37 months ago

Hello all,

From reading these forums I am getting nervous about applying to Medical assisting school.
In a couple months, I will be graduating with my BS in Health Science but immediately enrolling into a Medical assisting diploma [or associates degree] program in Augusta, GA. The associates degree sounds nice since about 3 quarters of work should transfer over from my bachelors but this school is private [ACICS accredited]..and not CAAHEP or ASBES, so I'm thinking about doing the diploma program which is so I can become a CMA later. My only concern is finding a job afterwards as well. I've recently decided that I want to get my Masters at a PA school and you need medical/healthcare experience before enrolling. Volunteering hours work for all schools, but some require paid work, and medical assisting was one of the recommended pre-req careers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

TP722 in Tampa, Florida

37 months ago

The rest of the previous post:

My other question is [particularly for those with AS in MA], will my Bachelors help me with employment if I do not decide to get the Associates, because why spend more money (though I should get military benefits) and time if there's no guarantee I'd get a job? I also currently have office/clerical work experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

TP722 in Tampa, Florida

37 months ago

The other part of the post:

My other question is [particularly for those with AS in MA], will my Bachelors help me with employment if I do not decide to get the Associates, because why spend more money (though I should get military benefits) and time if there's no guarantee I'd get a job? I also currently have office/clerical work experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Aliso Viejo, California

37 months ago

I know it's been a long time since this post and you may not be reading it anymore, or you may have already completed the exercise. None-The-less, I'd say no.

Marla Fisher in Long Beach, California

37 months ago

I would not ever enroll in a for-profit medical program or actually any trade school period unless I had personally verified with numerous potential employers that they would hire someone from that school. Just call around to anyone you might identify as a potential employer and you should be able to find out within minutes if what the recruiters are telling you is true or if they are just blowing smoke. While you're at it, find a publicly accredited program and call the secretary to the department head and ask about the school you are proposing to attend. You might get an earful about former students who got ripped off and then had to come to the public school to finish. Also be aware that if you go to a school without the proper accreditations you cannot use that education in the future to go on for another degree at a university for example. Beware and do your homework!

TP722 in Tampa, Florida

37 months ago

Mike in Aliso Viejo, California said: I know it's been a long time since this post and you may not be reading it anymore, or you may have already completed the exercise. None-The-less, I'd say no.

Thanks for your response. I just added this post today, lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Allison in Racine, Wisconsin

36 months ago

Peggy Rivera in Austin, Texas said: Hello Sara,
Just wanted to say sorry for your loss but it's time to move on. You will never do anything if you keep yourself there. So here's my advise get out of this rut and only you can do this. Sorry don't mean to be rude but you need to move on.

So anyway, I am a Medical Assistant I have been for 5 years and I love it. Right now I work for a career school that offer MA class and now I am an Externship Coordinator. People ask me why am I here and not out in the medical field. Well I know what it is to struggle to get where you need to get and I'm here to help you. Like I tell my students you will only get out what you put into it.

I to had to put myself through school with no support from my husband and I had 4 kids and home. So while my husband was not there my kids lived on MC Donalds for 11 months. I did what ever I could to do my best to finish. I also worked as a waitress in the morning will I went to school at night. That was the best thing I ever did for myself and for my kids, and I am no longer in the marriage.

So yes start as a Medical Assistant see if you will like it because you have to love what you do to make it work.

Sara, everyone goes through hard times and are in a rut for a while but only you can make it better. SO GET UP, GET OUT AND MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Sincerely

Peggy from Austin and living up with my kids.

Peggy from Austin. Great advice and insight! And, bravo for you in accomplishing your goals. Despite your unfavorable situation, you did not sit there and have a pitty party. No, you made the most of it and worked DILIGENTLY. I commend you.

netty in Wenonah, New Jersey

36 months ago

is asi institute a good place to go to school for medical assisting?

SHARNISE in Paterson, New Jersey

34 months ago

WELL I WANNA KNOW WHAT BETTER MEDICAL BILLING AND CODING OR MEDICAL ASSISTANT SOME PEOPLE SAY GO FOR BILLING AND CODING, MANY PEOPLE SAY GO FOR MEDICAL ASSISTANT SOME PLEASE HELP ME OUT IM SO CONFUSED......

Higher Ed Guy in Somerville, New Jersey

33 months ago

netty in Wenonah, New Jersey said: is asi institute a good place to go to school for medical assisting?

Be very carefull about the random for profit colleges around. Living in NJ you have the perfect oppertunity to attend one of the many public four year and community colleges in the state. All of which are Accredited. An ASI Institute degree probably isn't worth the paper it is printed on. In our area make sure the school is accredited through the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. www.msche.org/

That is the difference between a real school and one of the many for profit scams in our area.

jason

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Krzztell in Clifton, New Jersey

33 months ago

SHARNISE in Paterson, New Jersey said: WELL I WANNA KNOW WHAT BETTER MEDICAL BILLING AND CODING OR MEDICAL ASSISTANT SOME PEOPLE SAY GO FOR BILLING AND CODING, MANY PEOPLE SAY GO FOR MEDICAL ASSISTANT SOME PLEASE HELP ME OUT IM SO CONFUSED......

Hi Sharnise....shoot me an email..krzztell@yahoo.com ... I can go over the differences and let you know what I have found..either way with medical asst, make sure the schools you are looking at are CAAHEP accredited..this is the highest certification you can receive in this field and all employers look for it...

j in Corvallis, Oregon

32 months ago

It's really hard to choose a program not knowing what exactly you want. I became an MA because it was s fast way to enter medical field with decent pay and somewhat respectable job. My program took 9 months. I volunteered at the hospital that I wanted to get a job during school, then I asked to extern there, and got a job there. It's been 7 months now. Start pay for new grads is 16$ per hour.
Most MAs I know if they go back to school, its almost always RN program. I'm going for microbiology though, but that will be after a while. I'm going to try to get the hospital to pay be proving I'm an excellent employee, and volunteer every chance I get. In the mean time, I'm still making ok money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shay in Knoxville, Tennessee

32 months ago

j in Corvallis, Oregon said: It's really hard to choose a program not knowing what exactly you want. I became an MA because it was s fast way to enter medical field with decent pay and somewhat respectable job. My program took 9 months. I volunteered at the hospital that I wanted to get a job during school, then I asked to extern there, and got a job there. It's been 7 months now. Start pay for new grads is 16$ per hour.
Most MAs I know if they go back to school, its almost always RN program. I'm going for microbiology though, but that will be after a while. I'm going to try to get the hospital to pay be proving I'm an excellent employee, and volunteer every chance I get. In the mean time, I'm still making ok money.

What school/college/university did you attend and are there any steps or helpful advise you could give to someone who's wanting to begin the path of becoming a MA. I'd love to complete a MA program and land a job in less that 2 years, 9months sounds even better (GOD FOR YOU - its always great to hear about people with positive experiences).

Paula Rodich in North Augusta, South Carolina

31 months ago

jojos mom in Rockingham, North Carolina said: I am a Medical Assistant teacher and let me just say I think MAs get bashed all the time due to the fact more Clinics and Doctors offices prefer to hire Medical Assistants over an LPN or RN and the case is probably that they can pay less and they do the exact same thing in a office or Clinic I'm a Nurse Practitioner who worked at the Mayo clinic for years and I was actually there when they started to let the Nurses especially the LPN go I would not say give up on Medical Assisting in 2012 you no longer have to worry about what certification to get because you will be Licensed just like us Nurses

I am currently in school for The Medical Assistant Associate Degree Program, my question is does it pay off to get the two year degree or should I go for the one year certificate program? It seems that the responsibilities aren't much different, but I do live near two large teaching hospitals in Augusta, Georgia with multiple clinics attached. It seems the curriculum doesn't differ much from the LPN program with the exception of clinicals, although I will be involved in an externship. Some of my class mates are considering the certificate program then specializing in such programs as,sonography etc.

Paula in North Augusta, South Carolina

29 months ago

Thanks for your input as this question plagues many of my classmates. Paula rodich

rakkan in Bradenton, Florida

29 months ago

I was also thinking of going to school for the Medical Assisting. I dont know weather to go for AS degree or deploma ? I guess it dont really matter as long as your certified as a RMA or CMA through a credited school. MA's dont make much money from what I hear but the hours are mostly daytime jobs and no weekends ? Any help will be appreciated

29 months ago

I think going to school for the MA is a good choice, my biggest concern was the associates versus the certificate. I have done some home work here and from what I understand If you attend a school where your credits will transfer out then go for the associates degree or if you think that maybe you would like nursing then you may just want to get the certificate and when you have time or money if nursing strikes you as something you would like then you can go to a nursing school. The MA education will help you in nursing. In my studies for MA-A I take lots of classes it's a full 2 yr. program with no time off except major holidays. I am not young so for me the idea of working no weekends or nights is very appealing. If I were younger I would just go for nursing but one thing to remember is nursing school is no joke, it has a very rigid curriculum, either way do your research for your area. MA pay is not as great as one would expect given the duties. You can also get certified in different areas in the medical field which can in crease your pay too. The only difference in classes for MA versus MA-A is alot of educational classes such as; Math, English 1&2, Literature, Speech etc. In the diploma program you will not be required to take all the educational classes. I hope I was of some help and didn't confuse you more lol!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Im torn between two private schools one is Keiser college and the other is Meridian. Keiser requiest the AS degree for MA and its 22 months part time. The Meridian is 12 months of the deploma. Im sure once I pass the RMA or CMA exam it dont matter if I get a AS degree since I dont plan to become a nurse in the future. I am in my mid 40's and I like my weekends off and working day shift. I just hope Im makeing the right choice and it bothers me so much and I get headaches in thinking on what I should do and Im wasteing time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Which ever school you decide on just make sure they are ABHES & CAAHEP accredited. Maybe you can ask what their success rate is for passing the certification test, as if you can't pass the test your education is irrelivant and you would have to retake it and it's expensive. I do not see in my area where having an associates degree will increase my pay as everyone in the medical field has their place, a medical assistant has a pretty clear job description and of course it all depends on where you work. Some MA graduates are office personel some are back office doing initial patient vitals and chief complaint, also drawing blood for test ordered. I am switching to the diploma program from the associates degree as it is not going to make any difference in my pay or job description and it will cost me a lot less. I am like you that I don't at my age want to work crazy hours or trauma, I just would like to work in the medical field as I love helping people and feel I am compassionate enough to do a good job. I also think it's a good job for someone in our age group. I hope to work at one of the hospital clinics and I do like 8 hour shifts versus 12 considering I am older. It's been nice talking to you! Remember to check those accredidations I mentioned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Hi Paula, thank you for for corresponding to me....your insite is very helpful. Yes, both schools are accredited through ACCSC, FAPSC and Florida Dept. of Education. For me personally, it depends how bad I want the AS degree for MA. It probably wont make me anymore money job-wise as long as I pass the RMA or CMA exam. Keiser college only has the AS degree so they can keep me in school longer and make money and it cost $200 to enroll.
Meridian is only $25 and one year deploma to start working as a MA but their exam for the RMA is off campus site so I dont know if that makes a difference. Both schools are only 4 and half hours 3 days a week. Meridian is more inclined for the working class person. Do you have yahoo messenger to chat ?

29 months ago

Hi Paula, I will like to get my AS degree for MA but on the other hand dont want to get it just for the sake of saying I have my AS degree. My main objective is to get a decent job right away after college. Though here in Florida a MA will start out about $12.00 a hour no matter if you have a AS degree or not. Both colleges Meridian and Keiser is about $18,500 in which is alot of tution to pay back for only makeing $12.00 a hour.

Robert

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.