Medical assistant school in NYC

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

LC in Lowpoint, Illinois

93 months ago

Guide

First off,Tay-are you saying that you were let go because you got pregnant? Isn't that supposed to be illegal?

Secondly,Tay is right. It is a mammoth disappointment to be trained for a "career" and then you find out that you can try and try and you just can't get one going,and it isn't your fault. Every potential student needs to look around at all the MA programs where they live and stop and think about how every MA position that becomes available is going to have maybe 100 MAs trying for it. They need to call up various offices and talk to the MAs there and find out their pay. Whatever you do,don't think the low pay isn't important,that what matters is that you are working,that you landed a job and got your foot in the door. After awhile it will eat away at you because low pay goes hand and hand with a lack of respect,from others AND yourself. For all that MAs do (and every student will find out it is A LOT),then to know that you could make more working at a fast food place is beyond insulting.

To answer your questions-
The average program at a private school probably costs around $10,000. I was able to qualify for a Pell grant but it only covered $4000 of it. The rest was from 2 loans. So I write out a check for $50 every month,and will be for a long time. When this was first presented to me by an admissions officer,I actually thought it would be no problem because I assured myself I would be working by the time the payments started. I'm not and it IS a problem. If you can go to a community college program on a full grant-DO IT,even it it means being on a waiting list.

Once you are done with the program,you can start the paperwork to take the certifying test. The papers have to be processed by the agency so it could take several weeks. Will being certified give you a better chance of finding a job? No. Many aren't and had no problem getting a job. Many are and cannot find anything.
Whatever you decide,good luck but do a lot of research.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dannielle Mortimer in Brooklyn, New York

90 months ago

Lilly in Flushing, New York said: 1. Does anyone know which medical assistant program is good in NYC? (I'm thinking of working daytime and schooling at nite)
2. How long does it take to get certified?
3. How much is the tuition going to cost on average?

Thanks![/QUOTE
Yes I went to Mandl b4 it became a college it was a good course white scrubs 5 days a week. some of the best teachers are no longer with this school. And the tuition is about $ 10,000. It is the # 1 school and the # 2 is The Allen School located in downtown Brooklyn. But you can also go to a real college to do a Medical Assisting Program. GOOD LUCK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gary Dewar in Flushing, New York

90 months ago

Hi I am thinking fo taking the Medical Assistance course at nice in Queens NY .Does anyone know of any school or college that you would want to recommend .Thanks .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DAYANA PARRA in Union City, New Jersey

89 months ago

WELL.I AM GOING TO START ATTENDING TO THIS SCHOOL MICRO TECH TRAINING CENTER IT'S SPECIALIZED IN MEDICAL FIELDS, I JUST DON'T KNOW YET IF IT'S GOING TO BE A GOOD IDEA IN GETTING IN TO THIS MA COURSE OR NOT,CAUSE I DON'T HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE AND WHAT I REALLY WOULD LIKE IT'S TO FIND A JOB RIGHT AFTER I GRADUATE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

young in Schaumburg, Illinois

89 months ago

i'm in a medical assistat program right now, from what i read it sound likes not what i should be doing. i really wanted to be a surgical technologist

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 and counting in Middletown, New York

61 months ago

Oh my God.
I really want to be a medical assistant, and have been researching schools listed under CAAHEP and ABHES. None of them are in my area which means a long bus rides to and from NYC (I live in OC NY). I really hate my job with CUNY Public Safety and have had it with picking up the VP keys to have his car washed, disrespectiful students, parents and the administrative staff. I want to help people that want to be helped. I used to want to be a doctor, but my son was young and I left school to get a job started working with CUNY which offers free BS degrees by the way and never got back to it. Now he's 28, and my job changes my schedule so much that I can not take classes with them even if I wanted to. I thought that now...maybe I could have half of my cake and eat it too. My husband is very supportive of my desire to go back to school full time to do this. Working as a Medical Assistant sounds like it may give me what I want out of dealing with people on a daily basis. But everyone here has such negative comments, there is no hope on this page. It would be nice If someone could tell me how to weed through all of these bogas schools. Maybe tell me why CUNY schools are giving certificate programs but not listed under CAAHEP or AABHES. I know it will be a lot of work for a little pay, but helping people in this way is something I would do for free. So Please can anyone give some true direction or suggestions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RA in New York, New York

60 months ago

I dont mean to be rude, but the comments coming from those who say its not worth it are from people who dont live in nyc.

Its a totally different health field in nyc than Canton Ohio or Illinois. I dont know if you do live in nyc annd you just have that up, but I know many medical assistants who work in hospitals and in private doctor's office.
The one field that is growing and hiring is the medical field I cant speak for other states, but definelty in nyc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

SW in Brooklyn, New York

58 months ago

I AM A CNA TRAINED@THE ALLEN SCHOOL IN BKLYN. I BELEVE THEY ARE VERY GOOD@HELPING U WHILE U R IN SCHOOL+WHEN U HAVE GRADUATED. IM PLANNING ON GOING BACK TO B A MED ASST. I THINK IT IS A WONDERFUL JOB+VERY FULFILLING. A GREAT EXPIERIENCE FOR U+THE PATIENTS IF U AS THE WORKER R KIND+CONSIDERATE+HAVE COMPASSION WITH A SMILE, BECUZ U R THE BEGININING OF THE HEALING PROCESS. U MAY B THE ONLY PERSON THEY CAN TRUST OR THE ONLY ONE THEY THINK CARES ABOUT THEM. I LIKE TO GIVE SERVICE WITH A HEART.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

wandaq in Brooklyn, New York

47 months ago

Hi I a student at Fraklin Insitute Career as a MOAD this course is in Broolkyn NY so I want to know if there anybody who has studied from there to please let me know ur comments of this school because they make so much promise to those who come in to orientation but then when ur in there every thing changes . So please text back .

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Vonn in Bronx, New York

44 months ago

IN NYC MA IS A BIGG GROWNING CAREER AND ITS SOMETHING EVERYONE IS TAKING UP RIGHT A BOUT NOW.. IF IT WAS NOT MANY WOULD NOT BE TAKE IT UP!!!!! REMEMBER YOU WANT TO TAKE SOMETHING UP THAT IS ALWAYS GOING TO BE AROUND NOT SOMETHING THAT IS GOING TO DRY OUT IN THE LONG RUN!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

icelily20 in Brooklyn, New York

43 months ago

wandaq in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi I a student at Fraklin Insitute Career as a MOAD this course is in Broolkyn NY so I want to know if there anybody who has studied from there to please let me know ur comments of this school because they make so much promise to those who come in to orientation but then when ur in there every thing changes . So please text back .

Thanks

How is your course going? I would like to take a short medical assistant course in new york city. Im hoping its not a training that you dont have any employment because you dont have experience right after graducation.

43 months ago

Lilly in Flushing, New York said: 1. Does anyone know which medical assistant program is good in NYC? (I'm thinking of working daytime and schooling at nite)
2. How long does it take to get certified?
3. How much is the tuition going to cost on average?

Thanks!

Did you find a training in MA? how did you go?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Dannielle Mortimer in Brooklyn, New York said:

Where do you work now Dannielle?

Denni in Brooklyn, New York

38 months ago

Hi I am interested in talking the MA course at Allen School in downtown bklyn.. I am so excited and I hope I do good in the course and pass the test..

sarah in Brooklyn, New York

37 months ago

Is the Allen School In downtown brooklyn a Good Choice for medical assistant?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

VHM22 in Brooklyn, New York

36 months ago

Hello all :) went to the Allen school in Bk today. Info on enrollment & fees to become a certified medical Assistant- 9 mon. to complete if your a full time student.900hours. Classes were 8:30am-2:30pm/5pm- 10pm. Tuition for me was about $16,700. I qualified for a pell max. grant 5500.left 11,200. They offer a loan of $9,560. You have 10years to pay off.remaining balance of $1,560. Must be paid off while I was attending the school. Must bring with app. +$100 reg. Fee along with $45 every week for 36 weeks to pay off the remaining balance after pell and loans of 1560.royal blue scrubs r not included.books are. Supposedly, have great Job placement right after graduating.I know a woman who went here,has a good job in a Obgyn.  Seemed to have worked out well for her.I would appreciate some feedback on the subject. I don't want to waste the time$on something that will not work out. I'm 22+do not have children,thought it would be a great time to go back to school.I have 1year @KBCC in bus. admin. now I am jobless.get my schooling done now. I wanna have children and a family with knowing I have a good paying job with benefits. Thanks happy holidays!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

Hi I'm very interested in becoming an RN or ma. I checked out the Allen school so far. $16,663total for MA certification. Pell grant covers 5550.loan of 9,545which starts to bare a 6.80% interest the moment you sign up. You get 10 years from completion of the program to pay off. Remaining 1590. Needs to be paid off weekly 45$ for 36 weeks. In addition, you must bring 145. When applying 100 reg. Fee and 45 first week. I'm not 110% positive I want tO enroll. With the starting pay of hopefully 10$ It will take forever to pay off loans. I know a girl who went there and is now working @ my Obgyn's says she's making good $ and going part time for RN. I just want to do my schooling now before I have kids. Not sure the pay and the tuition balance out somewhat fairly. I have a AS in bus. Admin. And have gotten as much as 15-17 hour. I want to be in the med. Field there is always jobs I have a passion for helping others. Any advice? Thanks happy holidays

36 months ago

sarah in Brooklyn, New York said: Is the Allen School In downtown brooklyn a Good Choice for medical assistant?

Hi I'm very interested in becoming an RN or ma. I checked out the Allen school so far. $16,663total for MA certification. Pell grant covers 5550.loan of 9,545which starts to bare a 6.80% interest the moment you sign up. You get 10 years from completion of the program to pay off. Remaining 1590. Needs to be paid off weekly 45$ for 36 weeks. In addition, you must bring 145. When applying 100 reg. Fee and 45 first week. I'm not 110% positive I want tO enroll. With the starting pay of hopefully 10$ It will take forever to pay off loans. I know a girl who went there and is now working @ my Obgyn's says she's making good $ and going part time for RN. I just want to do my schooling now before I have kids. Not sure the pay and the tuition balance out somewhat fairly. I have a AS in bus. Admin. And have gotten as much as 15-17 hour. I want to be in the med. Field there is always jobs I have a passion for helping others. Any advice? Thanks happy holidays

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

SW in Brooklyn, New York said: I AM A CNA TRAINED@THE ALLEN SCHOOL IN BKLYN. I BELEVE THEY ARE VERY GOOD@HELPING U WHILE U R IN SCHOOL+WHEN U HAVE GRADUATED. IM PLANNING ON GOING BACK TO B A MED ASST. I THINK IT IS A WONDERFUL JOB+VERY FULFILLING. A GREAT EXPIERIENCE FOR U+THE PATIENTS IF U AS THE WORKER R KIND+CONSIDERATE+HAVE COMPASSION WITH A SMILE, BECUZ U R THE BEGININING OF THE HEALING PROCESS. U MAY B THE ONLY PERSON THEY CAN TRUST OR THE ONLY ONE THEY THINK CARES ABOUT THEM. I LIKE TO GIVE SERVICE WITH A HEART.

Hey thanks for your comment, I want to enrollbin the Allen school I just want to know if i will deff. Get a job that pays enough for the tuition & loans. If you don't mind me asking what do u make hourly and do you work in a hospital or clinic? Thanks I would really appreciate your reply.

Jude L in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

26 months ago

47 and counting in Middletown, New York said: Oh my God.
I really want to be a medical assistant , and have been researching schools listed under CAAHEP and ABHES. None of them are in my area which means a long bus rides to and from NYC (I live in OC NY). I really hate my job with CUNY Public Safety and have had it with picking up the VP keys to have his car washed, disrespectiful students, parents and the administrative staff. I want to help people that want to be helped. I used to want to be a doctor, but my son was young and I left school to get a job started working with CUNY which offers free BS degrees by the way and never got back to it. Now he's 28, and my job changes my schedule so much that I can not take classes with them even if I wanted to. I thought that now...maybe I could have half of my cake and eat it too. My husband is very supportive of my desire to go back to school full time to do this. Working as a Medical Assistant sounds like it may give me what I want out of dealing with people on a daily basis. But everyone here has such negative comments, there is no hope on this page. It would be nice If someone could tell me how to weed through all of these bogas schools. Maybe tell me why CUNY schools are giving certificate programs but not listed under CAAHEP or AABHES. I know it will be a lot of work for a little pay, but helping people in this way is something I would do for free. So Please can anyone give some true direction or suggestions.

HI VMH22,

To become a medical assistant i can really guide you, i have a better website and training center for medical assistant , just visit this website i can assure you what you were really looking for in NY the website is www.medicalassistantprogramsny.com/, let me know if you have any questions

Sania Khan in Forest Hills, New York

25 months ago

I go to Bramson ORT College they have a location in Brooklyn and Queens.
They have programs for Medical Assistant and it's really good. They're a non-profit school so tuition is much cheaper then anywhere else that I called.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.