Do medical assistants work on night shifts?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Minh in Oakland, California

28 months ago

Since medical assistants work in a clinic or doctor's office, I guess there may be work on weekends. But what about night shifts? If they do work night shifts, where do they work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Matt, NCMA in Layton, Utah

28 months ago

Minh in Oakland, California said: Since medical assistants work in a clinic or doctor's office, I guess there may be work on weekends. But what about night shifts? If they do work night shifts, where do they work?

Hi there, A lot of MA's work in insta care & after hours clinics till 11:00 pm at night. A lot of clinics now are open 7 days a week also. It just depends where you live.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Matt, NCMA in Layton, Utah said: Hi there, A lot of MA's work in insta care & after hours clinics till 11:00 pm at night. A lot of clinics now are open 7 days a week also. It just depends where you live.

Thank you
Is easy to find a position at night shifts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Minh in Oakland, California said: Thank you
Is easy to find a position at night shifts?

Hi there, I wish I could say yes, but to overwhelming load of MA's out there. I would look online & out of state, and have a powerful resume with no spelling errors and make sure you don't lie on it. Because it will get fired in the end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Matt, NCMA in Layton, Utah said: Hi there, I wish I could say yes, but to overwhelming load of MA's out there. I would look online & out of state, and have a powerful resume with no spelling errors and make sure you don't lie on it. Because it will get fired in the end.

Can you elaborate your first statement? Are you saying that many MAs like to work after hours?

If I have a choice, I really want to work on weekends and night shifts, so I can have school in the morning.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Minh in Oakland, California said: Can you elaborate your first statement? Are you saying that many MAs like to work after hours?

If I have a choice, I really want to work on weekends and night shifts, so I can have school in the morning.

Hi there, Most MA's I know like working Monday - Friday. Then there are others who like working nights and weekends. For myself I work whatever shifts come available, I'm not picky. As I said earlier there are lot's of MA's and not enough jobs to go around. If you land a job working the hours you desire, please stick with it. Have a great weekend, and good luck to you...

28 months ago

Thank you, Matt
Have you ever worked in a night shift? What is your typical duty at night?
I haven't known any person visiting a clinic or physician office after 5pm. If they do, it's probably emergency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Minh in Oakland, California said: Thank you, Matt
Have you ever worked in a night shift? What is your typical duty at night?
I haven't known any person visiting a clinic or physician office after 5pm. If they do, it's probably emergency.

Hi there, I work for an agency as a MA. I will sit with patients for 12 hour shifts. My job is prn (when needed), and a lot of times I work the floor. I answer call lights, assist with feeding patients, wound care, EKG's, Labs. I also transport patients to other units, and I will also discharge them & admit them to whatever unit I'm working on.I also give injections when the need arises. I've worked the night shift a few times. There are some days that you're running nonstop. I'm still looking for a clinic to work in, not as temp, but as a full time employee. It's all good though...I love what I do.

tea ali in New Jersey

25 months ago

My daughter recently completed cancer treatment and she was admitted to hospital a few times for treatment-related symptoms. There were several people who came in around the clock to take vitals and labs, and just to see if she needed anything. I asked one of them what her title was and I think she said she was a 'patient care tech' (A warning:Different hospitals have different duties for this job title, so you have to do your research). She said that most of them are actually Certified Medical Assistants who went through the hospital's special training program after being hired. I was excited to hear this because you get to work in a hospital instead of a doctors office. But this is one setting where an MA could work at night.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.