Phlebotomy Externship

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Rere in Boston, Massachusetts

18 months ago

I just finished a phlebotomy training over a month ago and still waiting to do my externship. I want to start working and earn an income, I've been searching but most employers are looking for individuals who are already certified. I want to do my externship ASAP to have the ability and experience needed not only to find a job but also to take the certification exam and get things moving my direction. Can any one please tell me of hospitals/clinics who are more than welling to open their doors and help students complete their externships. I just need an opportunity to practice and demonstrate my abilities and skills as both a Phlebotomist and Medical Assistant but primarily phlebotomy, I've done and graduated as a Medical Assistant. Any suggestions? please e-mail me
rebbiejohnson@live.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MariaLv in Chelsea, Massachusetts

13 months ago

Hi, i had my externship at beth israel medical in boston and I know they are more then happy to use some FREE help. I spent with them 6 weeks and trained on real people and got hired 6 months later. Good luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Phlebotomy Training Spot in San Diego, California

12 months ago

Rere and all in a similar position. If your program does not offer an externship placement, your best bet is to get an externship with a smaller laboratory or clinic. Hospitals can be much more of a paperwork process to be able to complete an externship. Smaller laboratories and clinics may offer more flexibility and a more intimate setting to learn.

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California

11 months ago

Phlebotomy Training Spot in San Diego, California said: Rere and all in a similar position. If your program does not offer an externship placement, your best bet is to get an externship with a smaller laboratory or clinic. Hospitals can be much more of a paperwork process to be able to complete an externship. Smaller laboratories and clinics may offer more flexibility and a more intimate setting to learn.

I completed my 2 week phlebotomy externship at Kaiser in Woodland Hills, CA and completed 300 blood draws the end of March. I passed the NCCT phlebotomy and waiting for the certificate so I can send all that paperwork and $100 to get my California licence.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Phlebotomy Training Spot in San Diego, California

11 months ago

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California said: I completed my 2 week phlebotomy externship at Kaiser in Woodland Hills, CA and completed 300 blood draws the end of March. I passed the NCCT phlebotomy and waiting for the certificate so I can send all that paperwork and $100 to get my California licence.

Mike,

That is great to hear. Were you placed at that Kaiser through a training program you completed? Kaiser is a great company from my experience. Hopefully you will be able to get a job there!

MikeUSAF in Chatsworth, California

11 months ago

Kaiser is very, very hard to get in. For phlebotomy you need your California phlebotomy licence first. For medical assistants they have internal openings. The pay for medical assistants is about $39,000 per year. They said to get any job at Kaiser no matter what it is and then after 3 months probation you can apply internally. The problem is the openings in my area of Los Angeles are nurses, pharmacist, pharmacy technician, and people with higher degrees, but I keep checking.

Did you do a phlebotomy program only or was yours Medical Assistant with phlebotomy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.