Medical Field

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Meredith Baker in Malden, Massachusetts

23 months ago

Hello,
I am a 39 year old administrative professional who would like to "break into" the medical field without years and years of schooling. I was thinking about going to Lincoln Tech to be a certified Meical Assistant. Upon completeion of this program will I be able to climb the ladder in the health care field (with further training)?

Is this a sound decision. Anyone out there, done anything similiar?

All comments welcome

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kristensavage13@gmail.com in Scottsdale, Arizona

21 months ago

You could also look into the medical administrative program offered by Careerstep. This is an online program, which will give you the necessary skills to becoming a medical assistant without having to go through years of schooling. Good luck!
www.careerstep.ca/medical-administrative-assistant

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Galia in Des Plaines, Illinois

21 months ago

Medical Assistant will not get you further into the health care field. I have the certificate and it's almost impossible to get paid higher than $12 per hour. I don't know how is in MA, but in IL to become a nurse you have to complete the NA program. MA is something that no one cares about. I will suggest that you skip this step and just go for nursing. I specifically looked on the internet to find people who want to ask for advice to become medical assistants, because I'm mad that I spent so much money for something so useless. Just wanted to warn others. Go for nursing Meredith! If you age is something that stops you I will tell you that my coworker had a classmate who was 60 yrs old and studied nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Maria Paul in Vancover, British Columbia

20 months ago

I think you could use it as a gentle stepping stone. It's a good way to check if you're comfortable in the healthcare industry, and it's a perfect blend of administrative jobs that you've been comfortable with so far, and the introduction of new terminologies and environments. Some people won't be able to stand actually interfacing with sickness, disease, blood and health despair and they only find out after signing up for long courses. Just my two cents. I don't think there's any harm in doing the med asst program. I would also recommend the CareerStep medical assistant training (www.careerstep.ca/medical-administrative-assistant-job) program online.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.