Remote coding jobs....don't bother

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 249)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

smarting in Austin, Texas

59 months ago

Don't bother looking for remote coding jobs. They are all being sent overseas. Don't believe me? Look in the back of the AAPC magazine, which lists the names of all the recently certified people. The majority are in India.
My company just announce they are laying off entire coding staff and outsourcing the entire operation. This is the third time it's happened. Best you can do in this industry is an office job. But pretty soon with EMR, those will be outsourced as well. A career change is the best advice I can give you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

valentine in West Jordan, Utah

59 months ago

that is such a negative and unhelpful thing to say. of course coders will still be needed in america. so while you scatter and run for the hills, i am going to be gaining experience and certifications, and have my pick of the jobs. thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

smarting in Austin in Austin, Texas

59 months ago

Go for it. It's not negative. It's the plain, honest truth. I've been coding 9 years. The last 5 from home. I'm CPC and CPC-H certified. My job is now going to someone in India. The stimulus money that hospitals got to implement EMR (electronic medical records)...makes it much easier for greedy contract companies to sell hospitals on outsourcing. And those outsourced jobs - remote coding, medical transcription, etc - will be out of the country. It's already happened to one co-worker 3 times. Check out the "American" Academy of Professional Coder's website...see where they have tests sites now? INDIA! They are cheaper, don't need benefits and can work around the clock. I wish you all the luck in the world. Yes, there will still be coding jobs in the U.S., but they will be in offices and hospitals. At least, for awhile. Me....I'm going back to school and doing something entirely different. I don't see a future in this anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

mc in Baltimore, Maryland

58 months ago

if someone can please point me in the right direction to finding the at home billing/coding jobs it would be GREATLY appreciated. i am just starting into this and need some help.

THANKS MUCH in advance!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

OUTSOURCEHELL in Austin, Texas

58 months ago

There will be some remote jobs here because Medicare won't pay some claims processed overseas. But there will be fewer and fewer opportunities as time goes on. Enjoy it while you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Leh7335 in Bend, Oregon

58 months ago

I wanted to offer my experience as an MT the past 11 years. I am looking at expanding to Billing. Yes I think it's dying to off-shore, but not entirely yet....

In the last 5 years it has been the clinic/hospitals that have broken the contract for the cheaper bid (India). In both instances this resulted in lay-offs from my employer. Many transcription companies are very clear they desire US MTs. The problem begins with Hospital Administration.

Just as CEO's will not display their salaries in profit/loss meetings with surgeons (family MD reports), they will sacrifice medial records that can't be protected by HIPPA. Right now, the biggest leak of information for Identity Theft is medical records sent off-shore. With so many physicians paying exorbitant malpractice premiums, I'm hearing it's only a matter of time before lawsuits emerge.

If you want to be a part of the change, tell your MD you demand your records be processed in the US, or threaten to sue. It's your right to do so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

MYL in Augusta, Georgia

58 months ago

mc in Baltimore, Maryland said: if someone can please point me in the right direction to finding the at home billing/coding jobs it would be GREATLY appreciated. i am just starting into this and need some help.

THANKS MUCH in advance!!

Have you gotten word about where to find at home billing/coding jobs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

want to get my welding certs back in El Segundo, California

58 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

mlilly in Evans, Georgia

58 months ago

Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Linny in Bell, California

58 months ago

smarting in Austin in Austin, Texas said: Go for it. It's not negative. It's the plain, honest truth. I've been coding 9 years. The last 5 from home. I'm CPC and CPC-H certified. My job is now going to someone in India. The stimulus money that hospitals got to implement EMR (electronic medical records)...makes it much easier for greedy contract companies to sell hospitals on outsourcing. And those outsourced jobs - remote coding, medical transcription, etc - will be out of the country. It's already happened to one co-worker 3 times. Check out the "American" Academy of Professional Coder's website...see where they have tests sites now? INDIA! They are cheaper, don't need benefits and can work around the clock. I wish you all the luck in the world. Yes, there will still be coding jobs in the U.S., but they will be in offices and hospitals. At least, for awhile. Me....I'm going back to school and doing something entirely different. I don't see a future in this anymore.

I don't understand how they can do our coding overseas...everyone in the world uses ICD-10 except for good old USA!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

two times a charm? in Round Rock, Texas

58 months ago

cpc in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: i currently work for a remote coding company and i also have several friends that do as well- i have to say i disagree with you about all coding jobs moving overseas

It's happened to me twice now, and yes it was a shock! I thought for sure my second company wouldn't do this, but they're in it for $$ too! I'm changing careers too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vaush007 in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

smarting in Austin, Texas said: Don't bother looking for remote coding jobs. They are all being sent overseas. Don't believe me? Look in the back of the AAPC magazine, which lists the names of all the recently certified people. The majority are in India.
My company just announce they are laying off entire coding staff and outsourcing the entire operation. This is the third time it's happened. Best you can do in this industry is an office job. But pretty soon with EMR, those will be outsourced as well. A career change is the best advice I can give you.

Smarting in Austin: I respect your experience in this field and I'd like your opinion specifically with obtaining an RHIA certification. Of course I would start with medical coding learning the ropes, but I was hopeful that jobs like Health Information Administration jobs could not (or would not) be outsourced. In your view, do you find this to be the case? Is it coding jobs that are being shipped or the entire operation?

The reason I ask is I have read responses on these boards about coding that comes back from India and coders here are being hired to fix the numerous mistakes due to the language barrier. Where are the cost savings in that?

Thanks for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mad in Austin, Texas

57 months ago

Now is the time to write our Congress. Not just for this industry but so many others. KEEP OUR JOBS IN THE US!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sailing the ocean blue coding jobs in Clyde, Ohio

57 months ago

You seem to be replying from India?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

trauma girl in Louisville, Kentucky

57 months ago

If coders in the USA can't read and assign correct MD's to procedures , how in the world can someone overseas do that? If MD's are paid by their procedures and they are not properly assigned, maybe they will rethink this off shore nonsense especially when the green bottom line is involved.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Leh7335 in Bend, Oregon

57 months ago

I agree with the above, and has anyone seen the new HIPAA guidelines (Feb. 2010?). I'm reading that transcriptionists are now encouraged to carry liability insurance. I'm curious how that will fly in India...My MD cousin predicts: Watch for an enormous public lawsuit that will draw the media into this issue.

For now, I'm hearing the new trend in coding is hiring "correction coders" in the US to review and fix the errors - while I myself have worked as an Editor correcting voice recognition (This required 99% accuracy over 90 days).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nicknemi in Alsip, Illinois

56 months ago

cpc in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: i currently work for a remote coding company and i also have several friends that do as well- i have to say i disagree with you about all coding jobs moving overseas

What company do you work for? I am so skeptical of these companies and want to find a good company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mirrorsandducttape

56 months ago

I have been involved in coding and billing for over 26 years. The last 3 were unemployed. I am certified with AAPC for many years, and have the experience, but how can I compete with the schools churning out graduates (the work force programs pay for the courses) and the hospitals and practices I have interviewed with are paying them minimum wages with no experience.

I interviewed at one of the schools and was told AAPC has an outrageous fee for certifying instructors on an annual basis.

I do not know what the light at the end of the tunnel will bring for my future. I am presenting myself as for HUman Resrouces and Benefits rather than coding and billing ( which I really love).

It is all a matter of survival.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

two times a charm? in Round Rock, Texas

56 months ago

I have seen now quite a few remote coding jobs where you can be CCS/RHIT certified, so now that is what I'm going to do since it seems more of them easily get a CPC certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

coding student

56 months ago

I've heard Kforce is good but they want 2-3 years experience. Lexicode also comes to mind but they want experience as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FS in Salem, Massachusetts

55 months ago

I was offered something from ING Funds work from home. It's fraud because the e-mail is wrong for ING and wait no interview in this economy. I just posted my resume 2 days ago. 24,000 for 3 hours a week.

Look at the results from outsourcing in the last 5 - 10 years, longer recession and fewer jobs for everyone. If I didn't have bills I would day trade. At least the Dow is back over 11,000 good recovery considering there are no jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Leh7335 in Bend, Oregon

55 months ago

That's it: Dow doing well, No New Jobs. That's because jobs must leave for US companies to profit. I don't think it is negative to say it. Really, we must wait for errors, lawsuits, and lost $$ from the language problem. My observation is that coding will have an advantage here because it involves "money," whereas with transcription it's just someone's chart.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gwendoline in Cambridge, United Kingdom

55 months ago

it is interesting to read your comments. We have outsourcing for telecommunications to India which are getting better but the language barrier is difficult due to the indian dialect.

We are begining to have outsourcing of clinical coding but because we such strict confidentiality rules, the outsourcing has not taken off and i am glad as it could create less jobs, cheap labour with data quality suffering.

As a clinical coding trainer and manager for many years in the NHS in England, i have found the language barrier an issue. for starters to understand medical terminolgy you need to understand latin or greek. In essence you are teaching new staff a new language. What i found through experience is that people who did not have english as their first language did not understand that Gynaecology is a "womans" specialty so could not understand where they were going wrong when trying to assign codes for Endometriosis (ICD-10 N80.0) and used Otosclerosis (ICD-10 H80.0) which is an ENT specialty diagnosis. the error is simply using "H" instead of "N" but the untrained person does not know this and the language barrier further fuels this type of problem. It may be that America needs to wake up to outsourcing and litigation could be the catalyst to stop the future use of outsourcing. there is a saying which is used all over the world and should be kept "alive". "Charity begins at home" I fear for you as your data may become meaningless if not managed appropriately. Some things you just cannot put a cheap price to as you lose the quality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

two times a charm? in Concord, Massachusetts

55 months ago

Thank you so much Gwendoline for your comments. Very interesting to hear from another country regarding this issue!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Leh7335 in Bend, Oregon

55 months ago

Litigation is the key. The training I had in Greek and Latin, this is rediculous. Important to remember, the folks making the decision to outsource are not the docs, its the bean counters who own the docs. I asked my physician father why legal transcription is not outsourced. His response: Lawyers would never allow it. Why do docs? They don't know and can't get the CEO to disclose salary in surgeon meetings. And they ask...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

When Dell Computer and other similar companies started outsourcing a few years ago in their, I asked why would they allow their customer service like that suffer. You struggle to understand them because they don't tell you in the beginning there in India. I asked once and they told me they were in India. When you outsource too may functions that far away customer service will suffer. I'd rather buy a cheaper computer and then find a local company to service it if I can't figure it out or may be use Geek Squad.

Born Here but Still Foreign in London, United Kingdom

55 months ago

Sorry for the little rude post above, yes a bit about myself. I started coding a few years ago and pretty much realised that given the power of the different software systems used to input, capture and analyse coded clinical date it was a matter to time before some one would come up with a way making the entire process computerised.
Harsh as it may seem, Coding is not a long term career, specially for those who are just startiting, Please, Please, Please learn something part time and branch into some other field. For those have been coding for a long time, there will still be a need for experienced people to validate/audit so there is some hope.
I made my move a year ago when I enrolled for an IT course which I shall complete soon with good grades( god willing)
God Bless America...It helps UK too

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

RHIT student in Middletown, Ohio said: I would agree. This is why I'm getting my RHIT degree. There are so many more options outside of coding. When I started I only wanted to go into coding. The degree courses have opened up my mind to the many other jobs available.

I am now more interested in cancer registry than coding.

Computerized coding will never be 100% so coders will still be needed but probably not in the same way as they are used now. In the USA we are finally moving to ICD-10 so I think coders will be needed for that as well. The biggest obstacle is still experience but it certainly is needed. Sadly I don't think a lot of students realize this when they start their courses and then become frusterated when job hunting.

there are so many schools trying to lure people in, that they can go to school for 9 months, work from home and make $45,000, it is a lie. it has made the coding field over saturated.

it really is a great field, but it is hard to break into. people should really research it on their own (don't just listen to the school, they are in it for your money)

and like you said, there are other areas besides coding, HIM is a great field as well.

i am very thankful, i got into coding before it was the "it" career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

RHIT student in Middletown, Ohio

55 months ago

valentine in West Jordan, Utah said: there are so many schools trying to lure people in, that they can go to school for 9 months, work from home and make $45,000, it is a lie. it has made the coding field over saturated.

it really is a great field, but it is hard to break into. people should really research it on their own (don't just listen to the school, they are in it for your money)

and like you said, there are other areas besides coding, HIM is a great field as well.

i am very thankful, i got into coding before it was the "it" career.

I know what you mean. I say some ad in a magazine about a 6 month program (I think it was through Career Step or something) that said you'd make 40K right out of school.

Sadly most schools don't tell you how hard it is to break into the field. Its a very serious business. A few wrong codes will cost the hospital money and can even get you audited if its that bad. Also in school your most likely coding a few sentence scenarios, or simplified patient charts. In the real world the charts are 20-30 pages and you have to know what to look for. You can't just look at the face sheet, you have to look at progress notes, pathology reports, discharge, etc to make sure you don't miss anything.

My instructors for my coding courses were very upfront with us about job prospects. They told us to look for part time secretary jobs, volunteer, etc while in school to get our foot in the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

When I went to school it was all theory and "concepts", all on paper and pencil (Accounting). but from day 1 computers ruled the day to day functions. I saw some coding in A/P which meant you read an invoice and decide how to code it and who approves it. Knowing the theory helps but knowing the computer systems better is the way to go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

40k $ is really peanuts if you ask me, Here in the UK a decent coder working for an agency can make in excess of 70k£, that is more than 110,000 Dollars a year. The biggest issue for coders in the UK is job security, if you work for agencies,you might be kicked out if you are not up to scratch/ have issues with managers etc.
If you work for the government, you get paid three times less than agency staff, positive side is that you get holidays, no body bothers you, you can work at your pace or not do much work at all!
We use ICD10 in the UK so get ready for the influx of coders from UK

55 months ago

Gwendoline in Cambridge, United Kingdom said: it is interesting to read your comments. We have outsourcing for telecommunications to India which are getting better but the language barrier is difficult due to the indian dialect.

We are begining to have outsourcing of clinical coding but because we such strict confidentiality rules, the outsourcing has not taken off and i am glad as it could create less jobs, cheap labour with data quality suffering.

As a clinical coding trainer and manager for many years in the NHS in England, i have found the language barrier an issue. for starters to understand medical terminolgy you need to understand latin or greek. In essence you are teaching new staff a new language. What i found through experience is that people who did not have english as their first language did not understand that Gynaecology is a "womans" and the language barrier further fuels this type of problem.REST OF THE POINTLESS RANT snipped .

Gwendoline

What you say is not true, yes charity begins at home so you should rather speak about the NHS coders assigning Heart surgery codes in specialist Orthopaedics hospitals and so on, yes it happens and every coin has two sides. Only an open mind can make fiar observations

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Born Here but Still Foreign in London, United Kingdom said: 40k $ is really peanuts if you ask me, Here in the UK a decent coder working for an agency can make in excess of 70k£, that is more than 110,000 Dollars a year. The biggest issue for coders in the UK is job security, if you work for agencies,you might be kicked out if you are not up to scratch/ have issues with managers etc.
If you work for the government, you get paid three times less than agency staff, positive side is that you get holidays, no body bothers you, you can work at your pace or not do much work at all!
We use ICD10 in the UK so get ready for the influx of coders from UK

i said coming right out of school you can't make that much, a certified coder, with a few years of experience can make a LOT more than $45,000.

55 months ago

I am sure I understand what you meant
I was just making an observation, I think contract coders in the UK get paid much more than people with similar experience in the US. There are no "coding schools" in the UK, hospitals take you on, train you only to find out that when you gain sufficient experience/ confidence, you move on to the world of contract coding.
HAving said all that Coding is not a permanent career, specially for the young things here, change careers NOW

gwendoline in Cambridge, United Kingdom

55 months ago

"only an open mind can make fair observations" as you quote, yet your sentence begins with "what you say is not true". Yes coding errors do happen from anyone and i have not said that i am in anyway perfect. I was merely commenting on the language issue that could become litigation if misrepresented.

I think you need to consider your own words before being condeming others!! I object to "pointless rant" as you have certainly missed the point!!
G

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jrhawley57@gmail.com in Saint George, Utah

55 months ago

valentine in West Jordan, Utah said: i said coming right out of school you can't make that much, a certified coder, with a few years of experience can make a LOT more than $45,000.

I am interested in getting into this field - what is the outlook for Utah - I am in the St George area

Leh7335 in Bend, Oregon

55 months ago

I agree with Gwendoline in UK: "I was merely commenting on the language issue that could become litigation if misrepresented."

The MD's in my family say the same.

Coder in Fredericksburg, Virginia

54 months ago

I am a Medical Coding Analyst who telecommutes. Coding is a very rewardng career that many aren't even familiar with. There is the initial challenge of securing a position once out of school. However through persistance and networking one can start their career.

Being certified through AHIMA is also I believe beneficial. Most employers seek those who are certified with those specific credentials. I am hoping to relocate to the UAE and I am hoping that my expertise will be rightfully compensated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JohnS in Denver, Colorado

54 months ago

Recently lost my job as a billing manager. I found out the huge company that I was working for is outsourcing their billing to india, and their inhouse billers do not even know this. so the OP is correct, our jobs are going overseas, as the president talks about jobs, he should make outsourcing
illegal, as this is doing nothing for american jobs, but hey, its the american way and free enterprise.
I am glad these CEO's can sleep at night, while I got laid off, our CEO got a $400,000 raise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

alison kilgore in Raleigh, North Carolina

54 months ago

I am just starting my own medical billing business from home I have 12 years experience in outpatient, inpatient family medicine, internal medicine, gastroenterology gyn I have just started the process. Looking for clients and marketing myself does anyone have any tips

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lanise Freeman in Little Rock, Arkansas

54 months ago

Wow this is all so true sorry I am a little late on this we are slow here in Akansas I used to work for a Orthropedics clinic and they tried to make me get my CPC I have taken this test once many years ago didnt pass and took it again and didnt pass then there was a girl that did have a CPC-A they nearly made me put in my two weeks and I quit before they fired me.Well of course you know the girl couldnt wait to get the job.Then all of a sudden with in 2months she is a CPC Not a CPC-A. Tell me if I am wrong but how did that happen. I thought you had to have two yrs of on the job. I am not mad just a little upset, work there for 3 yrs and nonthing I cant even find a job now I feel like I did when I finished the 1yr program.Now I work in office job posting and it sucks,I guess I need to be glad I have a job.Why dose everyone have to be certified now I know many people that are not. Yes I have heard that Outsourcing is comining I know alot of clinics are going to EMR and the job I had has a program that doctors can look up there on codes and CPT codes. The whole thing is crazy. I am forced to go back to school now I am 33 yrs old. WOw maybe 40 when i get out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

helenofcoding in New Castle, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

Hello everyone...interesting comments indeed on the "future" of coding. I am an RHIT, a CTR & have a BS degree in Health Science. I am graduating from the AHIMA Coding Program in 8 weeks....I already have a company interested in me (remotely)....I think it is about marketing yourself and demonstrating a willingness to keep ahead of the times, so to speak. Yes, coding and computers are and will continue to advance and I believe additional education in Health Informatics will be important to all coders who wish to stay in the field. With ICD-10 just around the corner, prospective employers will be looking at "how" coders were trained, (i.e) "on the job" vs. formal education. Anatomy, and pathophysiology skills are going to be extra important due to all the "detail" with ICD-10. Clinical Documentation Specialist (experience and training) will also bring value to your resume. I am not going to "buy into" the doom and gloom. There are PLENTY of companies out there that DO care and eventually the outsourcing "India" thing will reveal itself to be one BIG liability. It is a "trend" and eventually those jobs will be BACK here. One has only to go on the yahoo coders group where the India coders post their questions and comments to know this. It is pretty bad when you have coders "who refuse" to query the physician because (as one of the India coders posted) "the doctor is busy, busy, man!" In the meantime....stay positive, stay informed,expand your skill set, fight the good fight....and believe in yourself!!! God Bless America!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lanise Freeman in North Little Rock, Arkansas

54 months ago

OK I dont mean to scare off Coders or the new Coders, Know one is even taking about how doctors are going to have computer assisted dictation and its going to do the coding also for them all they have to do is puch a button and its going to do it for them. Please so one help on this question.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nmwalker1122 in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

54 months ago

helenofcoding in New Castle, Pennsylvania said: Hello everyone...interesting comments indeed on the "future" of coding. I am an RHIT, a CTR & have a BS degree in Health Science. I am graduating from the AHIMA Coding Program in 8 weeks....I already have a company interested in me (remotely)....I think it is about marketing yourself and demonstrating a willingness to keep ahead of the times, so to speak. Yes, coding and computers are and will continue to advance and I believe additional education in Health Informatics will be important to all coders who wish to stay in the field. With ICD-10 just around the corner, prospective employers will be looking at "how" coders were trained, (i.e) "on the job" vs. formal education. Anatomy, and pathophysiology skills are going to be extra important due to all the "detail" with ICD-10. Clinical Documentation Specialist (experience and training) will also bring value to your resume. I am not going to "buy into" the doom and gloom. There are PLENTY of companies out there that DO care and eventually the outsourcing "India" thing will reveal itself to be one BIG liability. It is a "trend" and eventually those jobs will be BACK here. One has only to go on the yahoo coders group where the India coders post their questions and comments to know this. It is pretty bad when you have coders "who refuse" to query the physician because (as one of the India coders posted) "the doctor is busy, busy, man!" In the meantime....stay positive, stay informed,expand your skill set, fight the good fight....and believe in yourself!!! God Bless America!

I agree with your comment, I am a Hospitalist Coder in NJ. I believe things will turn around with ICD-10. I think getting a specialty certification is always a step in the right direction. Helen, would you mind sharing info on the company recruiting you for remote coding work, my e-mail address:nmwalker1122@gmail.com. Thanks in advance.

Gregg in Youngstown, Ohio

54 months ago

helenofcoding in New Castle, Pennsylvania said: Hello everyone...interesting comments indeed on the "future" of coding. I am an RHIT, a CTR & have a BS degree in Health Science. I am graduating from the AHIMA Coding Program in 8 weeks....I already have a company interested in me (remotely)....I think it is about marketing yourself and demonstrating a willingness to keep ahead of the times, so to speak. Yes, coding and computers are and will continue to advance and I believe additional education in Health Informatics will be important to all coders who wish to stay in the field. With ICD-10 just around the corner, prospective employers will be looking at "how" coders were trained, (i.e) "on the job" vs. formal education. Anatomy, and pathophysiology skills are going to be extra important due to all the "detail" with ICD-10. Clinical Documentation Specialist (experience and training) will also bring value to your resume. I am not going to "buy into" the doom and gloom. There are PLENTY of companies out there that DO care and eventually the outsourcing "India" thing will reveal itself to be one BIG liability. It is a "trend" and eventually those jobs will be BACK here. One has only to go on the yahoo coders group where the India coders post their questions and comments to know this. It is pretty bad when you have coders "who refuse" to query the physician because (as one of the India coders posted) "the doctor is busy, busy, man!" In the meantime....stay positive, stay informed,expand your skill set, fight the good fight....and believe in yourself!!! God Bless America!

We are close to each other. I live in Poland, Ohio and own Medical Coding Pro. Contact me, maybe we can do some business.

Thanks,
Gregg

helen_hubka@yahoo.com in New Castle, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

Gregg in Youngstown, Ohio said: We are close to each other. I live in Poland, Ohio and own Medical Coding Pro. Contact me, maybe we can do some business.

Thanks,
Gregg

Hello Gregg,

Thank you for the invitation to contact you and I most certainly will. I am open to all options and look forward to speaking with you soon. In the meantime, have a great weekend.

Helen

KW in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

54 months ago

I am currently in a Medical Coding Program and will be graduating soon. I too am looking for a remote coding job, but my school is not providing me with the information I need to obtain a remote position. How would you suggest obtaining prosepective empolyers before I recieve my CPC? What computer programs would I need to purchase to work for a company remotely?
Thank you for any input

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

54 months ago

KW in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: I am currently in a Medical Coding Program and will be graduating soon. I too am looking for a remote coding job, but my school is not providing me with the information I need to obtain a remote position. How would you suggest obtaining prosepective empolyers before I recieve my CPC? What computer programs would I need to purchase to work for a company remotely?
Thank you for any input

It is hard to get a remote coding job, employers prefer 2-4 years experience and a certification. There are always exceptions, but for the most part, if you are coming right out of school you might be better off looking for an office/clinic job first and after getting experience looking for a remote position.

I think Helenofcoding is in a different position where she already has her RHIT and a BS in Health Science, so finding a remote might be easier for her.

But if you are set on a remote coding job, you can search indeed, just search remote coding and don't put in a location. Just beaware that there are some scams out there.

54 months ago

I have no idea what your background is, but I would start with updating your resume. Make sure to list your education and also list the classes you took in your coding program (with your GPA, if you want to). If you are not a member already I would join AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association) so you can have access to their CoP (Communities of Practice). They just posted this month an "updated" list of experienced coding professionals willing to "mentor" students and new graduates. It is all about "networking" and perhaps these individual will be aware of a hospital which is "open" to giving internships/and or further training to a new graduate. You can also upload your resume onto to the job board. A well written cover letter describing your qualifications and "willingness" to learn more would be a plus. Be positive and your biggest fan! Next, I would call all the hospital job lines in your area and see if there are ANY positions (i.e) Medical Records clerk, Unit Secretary, Admiitting clerk, Insurance Biller, just to get "your foot in the door!" Once in, you can go over to the HIM/Coding Department and introduce yourself to the Director/or Coding Manager. Let them know "you are interested" in ANYTHING opening up in their department(s). It is all about "paying your dues", but it will be worth it. My situation is unique, as I am not the typical new coding graduate. I started out in this field as a "file clerk" and through time, effort, and determination developed myself professionally, and so can you! Stay in tune with the changes in this field (they are constant) and commit yourself to being well informed. You can also join AAPC as well....If you still have difficulty getting your foot in the door then you may want to do an Online Coding Internship being offered by Carol Buck, CPC, CPC-H. It is a "virtual" experinence and includes coding 500 patients for 60 physicians over all specialities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Lanise Freeman in North Little Rock, Arkansas said: OK I dont mean to scare off Coders or the new Coders, Know one is even taking about how doctors are going to have computer assisted dictation and its going to do the coding also for them all they have to do is puch a button and its going to do it for them. Please so one help on this question.

www.coderyte.com/products/codeassist/?gclid=CPDPxsCOnaICFYp95Qod5DjQww

Hello Lanise,

Here is some "brief" information re: CAC (Computer Assisted Coding). This is an exmaple of what I was referring to in my post about coding and computers advancing. I view this technology as an opportunity for coders to further advance their skill set. You will note the article states, "coders will become auditors"....coders will still be needed. Naturally, as technology advances, our job descriptions will evolve as well. It is up to all of us not to panic, but to keep on swimming and take the right course of action to stay ahead in the coding game. Computers are not perfect, software is not perfect. At the end of the day, a coder is the essential "human" element required for CAC success.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.