CCS P cert

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

Dana in Cary, Illinois

47 months ago

I finished with AHIMA basic coding course. I have a BS degree in Medicine. Finding it hard to find jobs. Planning to take CCS P certification. How difficult is the exam? What books are recommended other than the PRG for CCS P? I am not having any luck finding jobs in medical records also. What to do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dana in Barrington, Illinois

46 months ago

pl reply

valentine2 in Park City, Utah

46 months ago

dana in Barrington, Illinois said: pl reply

when you say you have a degree in medicine, what do you mean by that?

Recommended study material should be listed on AHIMAs website under that particular certification.

As far as finding jobs, most new grads are struggling to break into this field, looking for something else in HIM (like you are doing) is generally the best advice.

Do you hold any other certifications? If not, that may be the problem, it is very hard to compete in this field without being credentialed.

dana in Lake Zurich, Illinois

46 months ago

I have graduated from medical school. So I have a solid medical background. I am working on my first certification i.e CCS P coz I heard CCA is pretty much useless. How long will it take to be prepare for the exam/ I just finishes the AHIMA basic coding course online...looking for a job.

valentine2 in Salt Lake City, Utah

46 months ago

dana in Lake Zurich, Illinois said: I have graduated from medical school. So I have a solid medical background. I am working on my first certification i.e CCS P coz I heard CCA is pretty much useless. How long will it take to be prepare for the exam/ I just finishes the AHIMA basic coding course online...looking for a job.

The CCA isn't necessarily useless. It is an entry level hospital coding certification. Due to a shortage of CCS coders, I have been reading/hearing that a lot of hospitals will take a CCA. However, getting this credential does not equal a job. A lot of hospitals might take an experienced CPC over a CCA.

If you are more interested in outpatient/professional coding then a CCS-P or CPC is the credential you should get.

It just depends which type of coding you would rather do.

dana in Lake Zurich, Illinois

46 months ago

more interested in outpatient or physician office coding. I have the PRG and ICD diagnostic coding and CPT coding for physician services textbooks Also clinical coding workout. Are these books enough? Will I be able to prepare in 2-3 months. I have some experience volunteering in medical records.

46 months ago

How to preapare for CCS P exam without experience? Kindly let me know what books are the best to prepare.

dana in Wauconda, Illinois

45 months ago

can anyone give me suggestions?

45 months ago

dana in Barrington, Illinois said: How to preapare for CCS P exam without experience? Kindly let me know what books are the best to prepare.

I usually find that the resources that the test administrator recommends are the best. Since this is an AHIMA test, I'd go to their certification page, click on CCS-P and look at what resources they recommend. Usually they take their test questions directly from these sources.

I find that out when I took the CPC test, while I did get some benefit from the Carol Buck study guide, the material I got directly from AAPC was the most useful, since they are the ones that create the test.

45 months ago

I found the ICD 9 Handbook by Faye Brown to be great, I have heard good things about the Coding Clinic, CPT Assistant and of course the CCS-P study guide, all 3 of these can be bought from AHIMA, but I bet if you looked around, online stores like Amazon will sell them as well.

45 months ago

I will be taking the test in 3 months. With no prior experience is 3 months enough for preparing for the CCS P exam? I

valentine2 in Salt Lake City, Utah

45 months ago

It should be enough time. I think generally about a 4-6 weeks is considered a proper amount of time. But if you are someone like me, I always like to study longer to ensure that I am truly ready and understand guidelines and principles.

I would suggest buying the CCS-P self review, they don't seem to offer the CCS-P online practice test yet.

Melissa in Draper, Utah

45 months ago

Hi Valentine I have seen lots of your posts on here. I am also in Utah. I have some questions can you please email me

momof2al@gmail.com

Thanks

Tak531 in Columbia, South Carolina

26 months ago

Has anyone taken or know of someone that has taken the CCS-P exam this year?

Janette in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

26 months ago

Tak531 in Columbia, South Carolina said: Has anyone taken or know of someone that has taken the CCS-P exam this year?

I took the ccs-p exam on 10/19/12 and passed.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.