Is there a difference between a Coding Certification and an Associate Degree in Coding?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

wroberts1970 in Woodbridge, Virginia

41 months ago

Greetings INDEED Forum People!!!!

I have been going thru what seems like a ton of online schools trying to figure out which course will be best for me. I see some schools offer a coding certification in 4 months and others are saying become certified in as little as 18 months. Other than cost, what is the difference and what do I need to look for to start out being a coder and work myself up to a RHIT?! Also, any online school recommendations are hugely appreciated. I work fulltime with a long commute plus I am getting ready to become an instant step-mom very soon so attending school at night is not an option.

Thanks for your help and have an awesome day!!!! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

valentine2 in Salt Lake City, Utah

41 months ago

wroberts1970 in Woodbridge, Virginia said: Greetings INDEED Forum People!!!!

I have been going thru what seems like a ton of online schools trying to figure out which course will be best for me. I see some schools offer a coding certification in 4 months and others are saying become certified in as little as 18 months. Other than cost, what is the difference and what do I need to look for to start out being a coder and work myself up to a RHIT?! Also, any online school recommendations are hugely appreciated. I work fulltime with a long commute plus I am getting ready to become an instant step-mom very soon so attending school at night is not an option.

Thanks for your help and have an awesome day!!!! :)

In order to sit for the RHIT certification you MUST have at least an associates degree in HIT from an AHIMA approved school.

An associates degree is going to go more in depth and cover more Health Information, such as data analysis, reimbursement methodology and statistics. Where a certificate is just coding.

It depends on where you want your career to go, if you had the time and money, I would suggest getting at least an associates degree. There will be more opportunities, and if you find you prefer coding, you could always do that as well.

I would suggest NOT attending a private for profit school, but rather your local community or technical school. It will cost WAY less, many offer online classes and most credits should be transferable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

wroberts1970 in Woodbridge, Virginia

40 months ago

Thanks to all of you who responded! Now I have a new thought, instead of throwing my 20 years of experience away and starting new as a coder (and taking the cut in pay)...maybe I should pursue an associate or bachelors in business admin with a major in healthcare management. I really would like to be in this field but having issues trying to find my exact fit. I would assume the same would apply on the fact I don't have any medical office skills but am hoping to get that while I am getting my degree. Guess my other question here is am I totally insane for trying to get a degree at 40 years old and have to deal with student loans for the next 10 years?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lynn in Boston, Massachusetts

40 months ago

Just go straight for a bachelors degree. If you are really into business admin, try doing MIS or accounting or finance. You can still be involved in healthcare field if that's what you really want. I went back to one of those private for profit school for billing and coding and went nowhere,I'm just in debt and stressed . Now I'm going to another college working on a bachelors . Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nonefornow in Tempe, Arizona

40 months ago

wroberts1970 in Woodbridge, Virginia said: Thanks to all of you who responded! Now I have a new thought, instead of throwing my 20 years of experience away and starting new as a coder (and taking the cut in pay)...maybe I should pursue an associate or bachelors in business admin with a major in healthcare management. I really would like to be in this field but having issues trying to find my exact fit. I would assume the same would apply on the fact I don't have any medical office skills but am hoping to get that while I am getting my degree. Guess my other question here is am I totally insane for trying to get a degree at 40 years old and have to deal with student loans for the next 10 years?

I have a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration in Marketing and I thought this would be the best degree to find that perfect job but I was wrong. I wish I would have done Bachelor of Arts in Psychology or Liberal Arts since the business classes are much harder.
The reason is that other students pursuing other degrees were applying for the same jobs I was and they were likely hired more often since they had a better GPA. I struggled with a couple of the statistics classes which I failed one the first time even though I had a tutor. I think most employers just want you to have a degree unless you are going into a specific career that needs a license. If I had it to do over I would have done the Bachelor of Arts in Psycholgy but hindsight is 20/20.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

labor22@rocketmail.com in Springfield, Illinois

21 months ago

Hello im really debating between getting a certificate in phlebotomy or sucking it up for that twwo years and gettin my asso. In medical billing and coding? oh and im 30 a little nervous about returing to school . Im also really bad at math only i graduated h.s. I have my diploma but i only made it to alg. 2 holds head down in shame anyway could anybody help give me feedback about my dilemma :-) thank u

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.