Took the CCS P exam today and failed by just 1 point!!!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

dana in Barrington, Illinois

40 months ago

I am so upset and disappointed. I have no work experience. This is my first try. Should I reatke this exam or take CCA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dana in Cary, Illinois

40 months ago

Anyone?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Park City, Utah

40 months ago

dana in Barrington, Illinois said: I am so upset and disappointed. I have no work experience. This is my first try. Should I reatke this exam or take CCA?

Its hard to advise someone which certification they should take. There are different factors involved and ultimately its up to you to decide where you want your coding career to go.

If you are wanting to take the CCA because you think its easier than the CCS-P, then you would be wrong. While it tests different information, it is still a difficult exam.

The CCS-P is an outpatient credential. While you can do other things with it, you will mostly work in an outpatient setting.

While the CCA is an inpatient credential, where it is more focused on acute care/facility coding.

You could always do a job search and see which credential the employers in your area prefer.

dana in Cary, Illinois

40 months ago

Most of them require RHIT RHIA or CCS. Thats why I attempted CCS P ( bec of no work experience instead of CCS ) Although CCA is an entry level credential I dont see any job postings requiring CCA credential.

valentine in Park City, Utah

40 months ago

dana in Cary, Illinois said: Most of them require RHIT RHIA or CCS. Thats why I attempted CCS P ( bec of no work experience instead of CCS ) Although CCA is an entry level credential I dont see any job postings requiring CCA credential.

I was going to say that if all the jobs are requiring those credentials then you are looking at the wrong places for jobs...but I did a indeed job search of the chicago (and surrounding suburbs) area and it appears you are right.

There has been a slowly growing trend that employers are no longer wanting separate coders for inpatient, outpatient, ER, etc. It now seems that this trend started in Chicago because every job posting I saw wanted RHA, RHIT or CCS and a coder who can do all aspects of coding.

Based off of your location I might suggest the CCA. While jobs don't usually list a CCA, there is an unspoken rule that if they can't get a qualified CCS, they will take a CCA. So I would probably sit for the CCA and apply for every job requiring a CCS and around 1-2 years experience.

You are in an unfortunate situation/location, as most employers around the country have not taken hold of the trend (of coders being able to code it ALL) like chicago has :(

dana in Cary, Illinois

40 months ago

Thanks Valentine. I will take the CCA. I missed Part I of CCS-P by just 1 point. otherwise I would have passed. Also I passed part II by 1 point. I got 223..Passing mark is 222 out of 300. I am not confident of passing part 2 if I take the CCS P again. So I just want to play it safe and take the CCA and deal with simple coding. Its become impossible to get a job here in IL although I have graduated with a Bachelors degree in Medical sciences. I took the AHIMA basic coding course and had finished it within 4 months. Since then I am struggling to find a job even in Medical records dept.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brooks Legacy Coding in Jacksonville, Florida

39 months ago

We will be starting a new class on August 10, 2011, please visit the website for more information!!
www.brookslegacycoding.net

Trudy in Columbia, South Carolina

25 months ago

Dana,

I have passed the CCA and have been studying for the CCS-P. After taking the CCS-P what do you think I need to really know well to pass the test? Studying from the Clinical coding workout book and have almost masterd the AHIMA study guide for the CCS-P. I have scored 95 on all for multiple choice questions and about 85-90 on the medical record cases. There are alot of areas that the CCS-P book does not cover. Would you suggest I focus only on the areas they cover in the book? I was told by someone that the ambulatory cases are basic? Any insight would be really helpful..ALso, trying to find a study group or review seminar and having no luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Trudy in Columbia, South Carolina

25 months ago

valentine in Park City, Utah said: Its hard to advise someone which certification they should take. There are different factors involved and ultimately its up to you to decide where you want your coding career to go.

If you are wanting to take the CCA because you think its easier than the CCS-P, then you would be wrong. While it tests different information, it is still a difficult exam.

The CCS-P is an outpatient credential. While you can do other things with it, you will mostly work in an outpatient setting.

While the CCA is an inpatient credential, where it is more focused on acute care/facility coding.You could always do a job search and see which credential the employers in your area prefer.

I am currently studying for the CCS-P. Passed the CCA. I have been studying from the AHIMA CCS-P study guide and the Clinical Coding workout Book. Wondering if coding the Advance ambulatory and Physician based records are necessary to pass the exam?

Any insight would be most helpful!!

Tak531 in Columbia, South Carolina

25 months ago

dana in Barrington, Illinois said: I am so upset and disappointed. I have no work experience. This is my first try. Should I reatke this exam or take CCA?

After taking the exam..what suggestions do you have for other people studying for the CCS-p exam? Studying the clinical coding workout book. And the AHIMA study guide for CCS-P.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.