Pharmacy tech VS Medical billing and coding

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

KelleyG in Enterprise, Alabama

25 months ago

I'm currently a medical assistant. I will take the AAMA exam in March 2013. I work part time but I'm earning just a tad above minimum wage. I get at least 24 hours a week. I rarely work with patients clinically and I do mostly reception. I'm learning that my field rarely has job opportunities in my area if you're not certified. But with a certification there are a few openings. I like my job but I don't love it. I want to be challenged everyday and I'm not getting that. I want to further my education as well. I'm looking into billing and coding but that doesn't seem very challenging to me. So, I was thinking about pharmacy tech. I've read the forums here about PT and there seems to be more negative than positive. But the ideal of having more hands experiences but still be in the medical field excites me. With billing and coding, it seems practical to stay in my field and garner an edge. I have the education and experience to go along with billing and coding but I want more. I'm extremely torn right now and I have no ideal what to do. I need a better career and I want to earn more money. I currently have no benefits and debts. My goals are to pay them off in the next year or so. I can't see myself doing that and surviving while employed at my current job. Can anyone weigh in? Pros and cons for both pharmacy tech and billing and coding. I've applied to school, it's just a matter of figuring out which to do. Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

TheKaylaC in Houston, Texas

18 months ago

Did you make your decision?? I am in the same situation....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.