AMT IS WORTHLESS

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 163)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Yoko in Lewisville, Texas

69 months ago

ASCP has the sole license in the state of new york, therefore you cannot work if someone has their AMT. How many other states will follow? Once the ASCP and NCA merge this year then AMT will be the only one left.

Once other states start given their state licensure test SOLEY to ASCP, AMT will be long gone. If you cannot get a license employeers WILL NOT HIRE YOU, reguardless of the experience you might have b/c it is the law to acquire a license in order to WORK.

Just give up the notion AMT is equal, you can read for yourself, ASCP is the SOLE licensing agency for the state of new york. Other states will be doing the same b/c they do not want people to take TWO tests (the ascp and one state specific license). All 13 states that require a license recognize the ASCP, thus you do not have to take a additional tests. Once they make a license mandatory in all 50 states then you will either have to take the ASCP or work in another country that recognizes the AMT.

Stop telling people incorrect information, you talk to any university director, laboratory director that ASCP is the certification that every US student prepares for once they graduate from a NAACLS accred program.

So reguardless of the experience you have as a AMT, they wil not hire once the ASCP acquires the sole license in other states like they have in New York.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Saber in detroit, Michigan

69 months ago

Yes I agree, every studen that graduates from a NAACLS accred program is based on the ASCP and NCA exams.

Once they merge then the program will be based on just the ascp exam.

I dont understand why we ever had so many certifications, there should have only been one certification then we would never have these issues to start with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

69 months ago

I don't like AMT because they allow someone to become certified as an MT that doesn't have a bachelor degree. One of the routes says a technician with a few years of lab experience can become an MT. I think that is wrong since the NCA and ASCP both require a bachelors degree. The sooner AMT is gone the better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

betty551@comcast . com in Glenwood, Illinois

69 months ago

Yoko in Lewisville, Texas said: ASCP has the sole license in the state of new york, therefore you cannot work if someone has their AMT. How many other states will follow? Once the ASCP and NCA merge this year then AMT will be the only one left.

Once other states start given their state licensure test SOLEY to ASCP, AMT will be long gone. If you cannot get a license employeers WILL NOT HIRE YOU, reguardless of the experience you might have b/c it is the law to acquire a license in order to WORK.

Just give up the notion AMT is equal, you can read for yourself, ASCP is the SOLE licensing agency for the state of new york. Other states will be doing the same b/c they do not want people to take TWO tests (the ascp and one state specific license). All 13 states that require a license recognize the ASCP, thus you do not have to take a additional tests. Once they make a license mandatory in all 50 states then you will either have to take the ASCP or work in another country that recognizes the AMT.

Stop telling people incorrect information, you talk to any university director, laboratory director that ASCP is the certification that every US student prepares for once they graduate from a NAACLS accred program.

So reguardless of the experience you have as a AMT, they wil not hire once the ASCP acquires the sole license in other states like they have in New York.

i disageejust because some states have it not all states do.just because nca and acsp merge it has nothing to do with amt.i doubt all 50 states will require it,because of the shortage of qualified technologists if it possible to do so then you will grandfathered in as long as your a medical technologist. amt is another qualifing agencyfor med techs if you read in advance magazine for adds they ask for ascp or equivelent and amt is equiv.there is nothing wrong with them there equiv to ascp as long as you take the test in other states they accept it.sometimes ascp acts like their the only bo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

betty551@comcast . com in Glenwood, Illinois

69 months ago

CLS48 in California said: I don't like AMT because they allow someone to become certified as an MT that doesn't have a bachelor degree. One of the routes says a technician with a few years of lab experience can become an MT. I think that is wrong since the NCA and ASCP both require a bachelors degree. The sooner AMT is gone the better.

i disagree you still have to go to schoolfor medical technology just because a bs every body else mean relavance that is not true .it wont be gone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ricky in Lewisville, Texas

69 months ago

Yea I agree with you CLS48, the students that have their BS MT ASCP have to pay back their student loans for their bachelour degree, where as you can have some lab exeperience and be a MT according to route one of AMT? Give me a break.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ariana in Riverview, Florida

69 months ago

I'm planning on taking the AMT in May to get my technician license in Florida. I also plan on becoming licensed as a technologist with an AS degree. That will be through AAB.

I'm not worried about Florida deciding to require all techs to be ASCP certified because 1) I'd be grandfathered in and 2) They don't have enough techs to do that. That's why you're able to work as a technologist with only an AS degree in this state. They need people in the lab.

Oh and I never plan on moving to New York or California so I think I'll be okay. If other states won't recognize me as a technologist with an AS, then I'll just stay here in Florida. No big deal.

If I had to obtain a Bachelors degree to obtain work, I would leave this profession and get a Bachelors degree in Nursing. I WILL NOT spend all that money to make what this field pays. There's also a lot more job flexibility as a nurse. The only reason I'm in this field is because it was a faster route to more money (technologist level).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steph in Englewood, Colorado

69 months ago

No one will recognize ur aab, I am a traveling tech that worked in the state of Florida. Most directors will hire people with their ascp before their amt that is just a fact. Also human reason will never pay you as a MT because u only have a AS Degree. I was a former director in the state of Florida for years, I would rather hire a BS MT (ascp) before any other cert.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Bradley in Dallas, Texas

69 months ago

I agree the ASCP is the gold standard, now that the NCA is merging, employers will only look for one certification. People hire AMT if they are desperate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ariana in Tampa, Florida

69 months ago

Steph....I know for a fact that there are places here that DO recognize it and pay you as an MT. I won't go into the names of these places because I'm looking out for myself. I'm not going to clue anyone else in on it.

Also, there are a lot of desperate places. This article was posted on the ASCP website:

www.ascp.org/MainMenu/AboutASCP/Newsroom/NewsReleases/ASCP-Wage-and-Vacancy-Report.aspx

I'm not worried that ASCP techs will be hired before me. There's a shortage in this profession and it's only going to continue growing as the older workforce retires and less people enter the profession. Not everyone that's going to fill these positions will be ASCP certified. There's no way.

I know that there's been a battle with nurses over something similar. Nurses with BSNs want ALL nures to be required to have BSNs. However, they haven't actually been able to get anything done about it. Nurses with an Associates degree continue working and getting paid the same. Degree or not, they take the same test. I will also take the same test someone with a Bachelors degree would take. There's no difference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jessie in Houston, Texas

69 months ago

The RN's test the nclex is the same test reguardless of as or bs, that is why the pay the same. The mt and mlt test are different tests by the ascp. So you would be classifed as a mlt and get paid less bc they are not the same test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ross in Little Elm, Texas

69 months ago

Most hospitals I worked at are very strict when it comes down to credentials, they ask you what your highest level of education is and you have to submit your degree to them. There is no way around it, if you only have your as degree you will be payed like a 2 year degree tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

John1104 in Orlando, Florida

69 months ago

Ariana I worked in FL most of my life and the hospitals here are very strict. As you know you need a FL license and HR will ask you for your degree. They will pay you based on your degree level, so if you only have a AS degree reguardless if you have AAB that says your a MT, most hospitals will not recognize that, if you do find one congrates but if your looking to move around in the state of FL you will be SOL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ariana in Tampa, Florida

69 months ago

The test a person with an AS degree from an authorized program is the same test a TECHNOLOGIST takes, just not ASCP. I know not all technologists are ASCP certified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ricky in Lewisville, Texas

69 months ago

Yea all employeers recognized the ASCP. They will hire other certs if they are desperate. Human Reasource will not recognize you as having a BS degree b/c you have to submit your degree.

Brina in Beaverton, Oregon

68 months ago

Hospitals and clinics do recognize all approved certifications, if they have any sense. I have been on the hiring side of things and it is hard to find good steady MT/MLT that can multitask as a generalist. As long as they have an approved certification as per CLIA/State regulation, can do the job and have a little personality, they are hired. There are not enough techs out in the field to single out ASCP only; it took me 8 months to fill one position with only three applicants.

I am an MLT working as a two clinic lab manager and have been doing so for 6 years. I have passed all of my lab inspections at both clinics with perfect reviews. By the way both labs are high complexity and my salary is $65000/ year, which is not bad for just an MLT with NCA certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ramon in El Paso, Arkansas

68 months ago

Brina you can never be a manager at a large hospital. Only MT can be directors and department supervisors, that is just a clia law. You must work for a small clinic or doctors office because as a traveling tech every hospital I worked at the director has a BS MT (ASCP)

I have worked in over 50 hospitals and traveled for over 20 years, 99% of all lab directors were either BS MT (ASCP) or MT (ASCP) with a MBA. And almost all department supervisors had there BS MT. Those are just the stats from across the country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

It is true that I can't be a director but Supervisor yes. Directors have always been a doctor or Pathologist in a hospital or clinic. Including my clinics, we have a pathologist that comes in and signs off on documents or answers questions pertaining to inspections. Even when I lived in Arizona, we had a pathologist as Director in our hospital. My clinic labs service 30 physicians in pediatric specialty and as I said before both labs are high complexity including working up microbiology and reading plates.

Here is a copy of the regulations according to our state website, Laboratory Compliance Section. I have never seen a director of a lab anything but a Pathologist and I have worked in the field for 20 years also.

I have been offered positions for supervisory positions in two large hospitals in the area but chose to stay in a hands on clinic setting. Please read the following.

General Supervisor
1. Qualified director of high complexity testing.
2. Qualified Technical Supervisor.
3. MD, DO, DPM, doctorate, master's or bachelor's
degree in lab science and
• 1 year lab training/experience in high
complexity testing.
4. Associate degree in lab science or medical lab
technology and
• 2 years lab training/experience in high complexity testing.

www.oregon.gov/DHS/ph/lcqa/docs/pers-re.pdf

:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Becky in Dallas, Texas

68 months ago

That must be a Oregon regulations, here in Texas all the job specifications for lab directors or department supervisor is a Minimum BS degree in MT with ASCP.

I have never worked with a mlt as a lab director or department supervisor.

They must be getting desperate in Oregon. There are some facilities that I worked at that never hired mlt's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Yasmin in Scurry, Texas

68 months ago

Yea I have never heard of a mlt managing anything, most of them are the last choice during the hiring process. The gold standard is a BS MT (ASCP)

Then again this field is really not regulated so you might as well have my 13 year old that works in taco bell apply for the manager position for the laboratory.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in San Antonio, Texas

68 months ago

Yea I just graduated with a associates in music, but I want to be a pharmacy director, if that doesn't pan out I will go for a lab director.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

I also guess they have to be careful over there you did have George W Bush. LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ralph in Dallas, Texas

68 months ago

In the past there were several ways to achieve MT status without having a degree. The BS degree was never meant as an end-all but to help get in the door and be hired. I don't care how many degrees you have if you are a crappy worker you will be fired. I've seen workers that had an endless amount of letters behind their name and they used it as a crutch. Phrases like "I never wanted to just be a bench tech" and "I didn't train all those years to be a machine maintenance person" are usually heard.

For those of you who are not familiar with HEW cards, the Social Security Amendments of 1972 authorized
the Department of Health and Human Services [formerly, Health, Education and Welfare (HEW)] to provide
an exam for people who had laboratory experience but did not meet the CLIA education and training
requirements. The HEW exam was given four times between 1975 and 1977, then again in 1979, 1983, and 1987. The
exam concentrated on clinical chemistry, microbiology, hematology, and blood banking. Individuals who received
an acceptable score on the exam were issued an HEW card, and then were qualified to perform high-complexity
testing.

Will in Tomball, Texas

68 months ago

My lab director has their MT (ASCP) and a MBA. All of our department supervisors have their BS MT (ASCP)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Grand Prairie, Texas

68 months ago

Yes HEW was the past, in this day and age is all about degrees. You really think you can work in health care with only a high school education anymore, every field has been increasing standards so that is what it will always be and it will ultimatly reamin the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bogus in Richardson, Texas

68 months ago

I've worked in 5 different professions and I've never see a job that's so hung up on the I'm better than you syndrome. All other companies just have associate on the name badges. These associates usually range from high school graduates to PhD's. Are all laboratorians that frustrated with who they are? AMT is just as good as ASCP and it's the tech that makes the difference. No one "suffered" any more than anyone else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Larry in Dallas, Texas

68 months ago

Every ancillary field has one certification or license. Nursing, physical therapy, pharmacy, SO WHY DO YOU THINK THE CLINICAL LAB IS DIFFERENT??

BS MT (ASCP) = LAB

BS pharm or pharmd (naplex) = pharmacy

AS or BSN (neclexx) = nursing

Is that such a hard concept? Standard license or certification like all other ancillary fields??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rohan@stjohns in Rego Park, New York

68 months ago

Nothing to complain about anymore, lab directors and all the high end positions in the lab are always 100% BS MT ASCP certified and up. People with anything less than that are never considered for the ranking positions. However, were all eagerly waiting for some real standards to be created in the lab already because this is total nonsense that's been going on for a long while. They need to get more students interested into this field due to the huge shortage and the only way to do that is to attract them with higher brighter pay, so increase the standards and make a single certification exam. BS MT (ASCP) only and all the way, let the others who are already working get grandfathered in but from here on out NO MORE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

MT Standards in Cibolo, Texas

68 months ago

Bogus in Richardson, Texas said: I've worked in 5 different professions and I've never see a job that's so hung up on the I'm better than you syndrome. All other companies just have associate on the name badges. These associates usually range from high school graduates to PhD's. Are all laboratorians that frustrated with who they are? AMT is just as good as ASCP and it's the tech that makes the difference. No one "suffered" any more than anyone else.

You really hit the nail on the head. A lab tech is just a lab tech. It doen't matter if you are an MT, CLS, MLT, military trained, or registered by ASCP, AMT, NCA -- in the end, you are a just a lab tech. It does not matter if you have no classes in organic chemistry or a Ph.D. in organic chemistry, if you are working in a clinical lab, you are a lab tech. If you want respect, recognition and prestige, either get out of the field or don't enter it in the first place.

BTW, I have worked with many military trained lab techs and I don't find them inferior to MT(ASCP)s at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Fort Worth, Texas

68 months ago

MT standards you have no idea what your talking about. There are standards for every ancillary field, we are dealing with human life not stocking shelves. The major universities have said what the standards are to becoming a tech, that is the ASCP. It's like saying I am a chemistry major or a pharmacy tech but I can be payed like a pharmacist because I work in a pharmacy.

There are laws in pharmacy where even though u count pills and check scripts, noons else can do that bc there are laws in place.

There are 13 states that need a license to work as a lab tech, so u have no clue what you need to be competant and hired as a lab tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Larry in Dallas, Texas

68 months ago

So you're saying that if you're a MT(ASCP) you deserve all the respect and money even if you're lame at work? That a cert is the end all and everything of lab work and no one else should be considered to put a sample on a machine? Maybe phlebs should make more cash that MT's. They are the ones that people see and they have the job that requires a skill. If you make twice what a phleb makes shouldn't you be worth twice what they are? I don't want to stick and I'll take less to sit behind my little protected wall.

Happy freekin lab week...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rohan@stjohns in Rego Park, New York

68 months ago

No, the point your missing here is. If everyone goes for their ASCP certification and that becomes the only certification required to work in the lab as an MT then our pay/standards all go up. Don't you want to get paid more? Why the hell would you keep vouching for associate degree/certificate programs when that only brings a job's salary way lower now? MT(BS)ASCP becomes the only required license to work in the NY state and California, why else do you think we get paid alot more than any other state and thus no MT who works here or in California never complains?

Yoko in Carrollton, Texas

68 months ago

Larry you are a IDIOT, its beacuase of people lke you we have no standards in the lab.

If you wanted to be a XRAY TECH, there is only ONE CERTIFICATION they take when you graduate. Its the AART. That is what employeers look for when they graduate. They dont have 3-4 different certifications to take. They have their RT (AART) that is what is required to become a xray tech. And guess what, most make more than a BS MT (ASCP).

Everyone wants a shortcut, there is no short cut, you are in the united states and we have standards, if you want a short cut go to a third world country, there you can push buttons without a certification and hell you can become a pharmacist if you want as well, you can count pills without a pharmD.

Here in american we have standards for every ancillary field, hell you need a license to be a dietician.

RT (AART) = xtray
RN (NCLEX)= nursing
pharmD (NAPLEX) = pharmacy
MT (ASCP), MT (AAB), MT (AMT), CLS (NCA) = Lab (GIVE ME A BREAK, this is why we are paid the worst out of all the anciallary profession, NO STANDARDS).

Larry in Dallas, Texas

68 months ago

It's the job not the cert that causes low pay. People want a healthcare job for security but they don't want any patient contact. The "lower standard" workers accept what they want. I've know MLT's that never took anything but MT wages and they got it. It's all what you settle for. This job was all women workers in the past and low pay for women is pretty standard. X-Ray was mainly men.

Yoko you're an idiot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Larry you have no idea what your talking about. Look at california, they only way to work there is to have a BS MT (ASCP). They have the highest paid techs, that is not a coincedence, its called the state having standards.

Larry go to a third world country and push buttons, you probably can be a pathologist there to b/c they dont require a cert.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

The reason nursing have such high salaries is because they have great PR people. Their certification and associations are always talking about the shortage of nursing staff. MT certifications and associations don't go through the effort of letting people know we have shortages and who we are. No one knows about our profession unless 1. We tell them or 2. They happen to see it in a college catalog. All anyone knows about lab is the phlebotomist.

If employees knew about our shortages and potential shortages in the future through the certification/associations and news, they would be more willing to try and retain the techs they have and keep them a little happier.

Well anyway that is my observation about the subject of salaries. The higher salaries in NY and California are because of the cost of living for the area. Pay ranges vary depending on where you live. NY and California just found a way to make a little extra cash by adding their own Certification process. Have a great weekend!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Larry try to work in new york as a new grad, the ASCP is the SOLE LICENSING AGENCY FOR THAT STATE. So if you are a new grad in new york and want to take any other cert (AMT OR AAB) YOUR SOL. So you can move to ther other states that does not have standards FOR NOW.

Once other states realize that ASCP is the gold standard, other states will make the ASCP the SOLE Licensing Agency like New York and California.

Larry I suggest you stay away from those two states b/c according to you certifications dont matter, until other states start implementing ASCp as the SOLE licensing agency, you might end up working in ALASKA where they might be the only one accepting the AMT or AAB or no cert.

Larry in Dallas, Texas

68 months ago

I'm certified in NY...well back in the 70's anyway.
The reason no one knows about you is because they never see you. That's why they call you lab boy or lab girl. Get out more...go stick the patients...meet the nurses...sell yourself. You have a job that can be sent to any reference lab anywhere in the country for a buck. But you still need phlebs...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Larry in Dallas, Texas

68 months ago

and another thing...what a bunch of babies blaming your pay on "everyone is not MT ASCP". Don't hide behind the cert and try to find the real reason.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Well anyway that is my observation about the subject of salaries. The higher salaries in NY and California are because of the cost of living for the area. Pay ranges vary depending on where you live. NY and California just found a way to make a little extra cash by adding their own Certification process. Have a great weekend!

Well actually I am out on the floor also because I chose to keep my Phlebotomy skills which include newborns and children. I do get myself out there but patients think I’m a nurses and draw station patient think I am just phlebotomy.I have also worked in a 28 doctor clinic which had a high complexity lab and patients that seen me often thought I was a nurse.

No wonder no one knows about lab with the bad attitudes and introverted personalities that are in this profession. I guess that is why I never fit in with my own co-workers. I’m to extroverted for them. They seem to be unmarried or unhappy, have a multitude of cats and dogs and very few have a life outside the lab. What happened?

And as for the reference labs you get what you pay for, errors, delays and extended turnaround times. Peace!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Miracle Worker in Belleville, New Jersey

68 months ago

Yoko in Lewisville, Texas said: ASCP has the sole license in the state of new york, therefore you cannot work if someone has their AMT. How many other states will follow? Once the ASCP and NCA merge this year then AMT will be the only one left.

Don't put down AMT, I am AMT and proud of it. Now, I am also ASCP, NCA, and
a licensed Clinical Laboratory Technologist in New York, it doesn't matter even if you are ASCP, NCA, AAB, etc., without New York License you cannot work in
this State.

By the way, I always use MT(AMT) and works for me!

Miracle Worker in Belleville, New Jersey

68 months ago

Miracle Worker in Belleville, New Jersey said: Don't put down AMT, I am AMT and proud of it. Now, I am also ASCP, NCA, and
a licensed Clinical Laboratory Technologist in New York, it doesn't matter even if you are ASCP, NCA, AAB, etc., without New York License you cannot work in
this State.

By the way, I always use MT(AMT) and works for me!

Sad to say, where I work in New York Hospital Lab. I am the only one I knew that is certified by various certifying agencies and Registry. Our Lab, Manager is a
business graduate with MA not certified, my Supervisor and one tech. are also
not certified, the second tech. is not even Med. Tech. also not certified. But
they are all New York Licensed including myself. Sometimes I wonder how the Hell
these people are working in the lab?

When I checked the work of this person that is not even Med. Tech. I'm scared for
the patients lives. The work is sloppy and results are fabricated. I told the Manager and Supervisor and show her work, they just shrugged off their shoulders and brushed me in the rug.

I guessed, I was hired for State and Laboratory Personnel Compliance? My point is, no matter what your certification is, is very important especially if it is
nationally recognized.

CLS48 in California

68 months ago

Well to clarify a little, before 2 years ago, to work in CA all you needed was to pass the state CLS exam and get the CA CLS license. So, people without ASCP or NCA got CA CLS licenses and started working. In fact, these people today are still working not ASCP certified but since they have the state license, they can work.

However, almost all jobs for CLS here prefer ASCP certification and list it in the job ad so it definitely helps. Starting 2 years ago, CA did away with the state exam because there was a shortage of CLSs. So now they allow anyone with a MT(ASCP) or MT(AAB) to apply for a state license. It's actually the first time I heard about MT(AAB) and really don't know much about it, but it's a second route to getting your CA CLS license.

I think the main reason why CLS is pay is good here is that technicians cannot release results. This forced hospitals to find CLSs to release the results while at the same time the amount of CLSs that actually passed the state exam dwindled, hence the shortage. This created a high demand for CLSs driving up the pay. So basically there wasn't standards for MLT. However last year the state changed that with trying to make an MLT standard and opening 2 MLT schools in CA. So far it hasn't affected anything and I hope it stays like that.

Buck in Nashville, Tennessee

68 months ago

You will see your pay go down, my friend in cali is working as a CLS for 35/hour. Once they put MLT or CLT in this case, they will prob start them at 15-19, thus human resource will see they can get away with hiriing MLT for that low, overall decreasing future CLS pay.

I guarantee you, in 5 years you will not see CLS pay in the 30-40 b/c MLT/CLT will be in the equation.

Its like pharmacists command 50/hour everywhere. If they created a nursing pharmacist and payed only 30-40 per/hour, gradually as years progressed you will be pharmacist salaries go down b/c they are hiring cheaper health care workers. But pharmacy does not have a alternative like the lab.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Spot in Dallas, Texas

68 months ago

I was laid off so I went through the Texas workforce for my MLT. Since I have a degree in Biology, in 1968, I was given a MT spot. I can't believe how easy and secure the work is. I wish I had done this years ago. Life is great. There sure are a lot of squatters in the lab that like to gripe and find ways to avoid work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

lizzybay@comcast.net in Cape May, New Jersey

67 months ago

I am an HEW certified med lab technologist. I cannot find my original license. I have copies but not the original. Do you know how I can get another original???

Ralph in Dallas, Texas said: In the past there were several ways to achieve MT status without having a degree. The BS degree was never meant as an end-all but to help get in the door and be hired. I don't care how many degrees you have if you are a crappy worker you will be fired. I've seen workers that had an endless amount of letters behind their name and they used it as a crutch. Phrases like "I never wanted to just be a bench tech" and "I didn't train all those years to be a machine maintenance person" are usually heard.

For those of you who are not familiar with HEW cards, the Social Security Amendments of 1972 authorized
the Department of Health and Human Services [formerly, Health, Education and Welfare (HEW)] to provide
an exam for people who had laboratory experience but did not meet the CLIA education and training
requirements. The HEW exam was given four times between 1975 and 1977, then again in 1979, 1983, and 1987. The
exam concentrated on clinical chemistry, microbiology, hematology, and blood banking. Individuals who received
an acceptable score on the exam were issued an HEW card, and then were qualified to perform high-complexity
testing.

Larry in Richardson, Texas

67 months ago

If you lost your HHS card and wish to obtain a replacement, write to: Professional Examination Service, 475 Riverside Drive,
6th Floor, New York, NY 10115
To get the phone number do a Google search for section 241 medicare replacement card laboratory technologist

67 months ago

The AMT is a very basic test, that is why most employers look down upon anyone with just that certification.
The ASCP is the gold standard, for employers, lab directors and department supervisors.

Spot in Dallas, Texas

67 months ago

From the AMT website - Know any lawyers? From this website it's quite evident by the comments that discrimination is taking place in the workplace. Applicants that meet or exceed minimum state requirements are being paid less or refused job oportunities. I'm sure AMT would love to hear from you. ASCP and NCA do not have a monopoly in the US and if they do call your state rep. and maybe a lawyer. You can use this site for reference.

AMT is, of course, a well-recognized certification body, accredited by the National Commission on Certifying Agencies, in continuous operation since 1939, and operating throughout the United States and in many foreigncountries as well. AMT's qualification standards to sit for the MLT(AMT) exam are equivalent to those of ASCP, so it is difficult to conceive of a rational basis for discriminating in favor of one certification over the other.

On those relatively rare occasions when we do hear complaints of some kind of "anti-AMT" discrimination in the workplace, we of course energetically investigate them. In the vast majority of cases, it turns out the reasons the AMT-certificant was not being treated as they wished had absolutely nothing at all to do with their AMT certification but was due to some other reason--for example, perhaps the lack of an educational credential deemed essential by the employer.

Having said this, if you--or any other AMT certificant reading this letter--ever do encounter clear evidence it is the AMT certification itself that is being discriminated against, please do let us know right away and we will take aggressive steps to seek to correct the problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Spot you are a moron, do you think lab directors or the HR will tell you why they are hiring someone with a ASCP or a AMT. Guess what is just commen sense that the lab director will hire the person with their SAME CREDENTIALS. They will never tell you why they hire you over the other person. Guess what most if not all lab directors are ASCP certified. They will hire a AMT if they are desperate and have no other applicants.

You can get all the lawyers you want, b/c this will finally shed light on the fact that we NEED STANDARDS. One certification for the profession, so maybe some attention will help the profession.

And by the way, ASCP and NCA has their own lawyers are well, so keep up the attention and then all you folks that want to take the AMT b/c you couldnt pass the ASCP will be SOL.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.