Anybody knows CSUDH CLS program?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

uci-cls 2012 in Orange, California

24 months ago

I am checking CSUDH CLS program. I got a little confused. Can I only apply for the one year clinical part? Or I have to take the pre-clinical part (many courses)? If so, what's the tuition like? How long does it take to finish the pre-clinical part? Actually I have taken the pre-requisit courses for CLS training program. So I really do not want to go through the pre-clinical part.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Long Beach, California

24 months ago

You apply as a post-bacc. If you have taken the CLS pre-reqs (for the trainee license), you would still have to take the CSUDH pre-reqs. The pre-reqs include: Anatomy/Physiology, Stats or Biostats, CLS 301 (Intro to CLS), CLS 302 (Phlebotomy), CLS 306 (Immunology/Blood Bank), CLS 401 (Virology/Mycology), CHE 456 (Clin Chem), CLS 595 (Postbac Parasitology). You need to take their immunology because it has blood bank in it. They will not let you apply for the internship with just immunology.

It cost about 8k-10k a year full time. You would probably be done with the prereqs in 1 year and can apply for the internship for that year. So it would take 2 years (1 year for the prereqs and 1 year for the internship). The professor in charge will allow you to apply for the internship as long as you plan to finish all your prereqs by spring semester. It will probably be the same amount of time as re-applying for UCI.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

23 months ago

I've talked to CSUDH students where I've worked at. They said classes are impacted. Sometimes they couldn't get the prereq classes they wanted because graduate students had priority and the demand was so high for them. It doesn't help they're on a semester system and not a quarter system. Realistically, it might take you 2 years to finish the prereqs, and then you have to apply with an interview to get into the internship year. Assuming you get accepted, it might take you 3 years in total. 3 years x $10K a year is 30K. CSUDH was much cheaper before. Now with how poor CA is, they're raising the UC and Cal state tuitions.

30K for 3 years vs LLU's 70K in 2 years is not that much of a difference anymore. 1 year rotations are still the cheapest by far.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

23 months ago

To me, CSUDH is good if you start there as a freshman and want to become a CLS. They used to have a masters program for CLS. However, when I was looking into it before, I called them and they said it was discontinued. I'm not sure why because there are a lot of people with BS degrees that would want to do that. I would have just to get the masters.

I just didn't like how I had to apply for their undergrad again and take prereqs there. The problem with that is those prereqs aren't just taken by pre-CLS students. You have graduate students or undergrads with different majors who also want to take those classes. Then I had to reapply with an interview for their internship year? Having already been through a UC school, I felt like I was going backwards. To me, for those with degrees already, it's better to do the one year internship or go to LLU. LLU has the feel of being a masters program because the school itself is not a traditional undergrad school. It's only a school for healthcare professionals. It would have been nice though if LLU gave a masters in CLS and not a BS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

At CSUDH, for the internship the process is the same for applying for the 1 year programs except you don't need to write an essay. CSUDH takes in 40-43 students a year. However, there are rumors that they reserve 10-15 spots for true undergraduates. So people that already have bachelors get the rest.

LLU is a good school, however, its really expensive. Federal student loans may be harder to access now and bank student loans suck.

Not only that, but I think LLU will try to convert you to their religion. I heard it's required to go to their church, even if you have another religion or no religion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

23 months ago

LLU doesn't try to convert you. You do not have to be Seventh Day Adventist (SDA) to attend the school. Probably half or more than half of the students are not SDA, and even some students are Muslim. They do respect the views of non-SDAs. However, you have to take a Seventh Day Adventist religion class and go to Church services every Wednesday. It is mandatory. I'm Christian, but a different denomination, so I found it interesting. I can see how it might irritate some people so it is something to think about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

gksidhu in Austin, Texas

23 months ago

Hi guys! I applied to the CSUDH program post bacch with a degree in microbiology. I got accepted but I am confused. Do I need to retake some classes or can I start the one year program? Also, LLU seems like a good backup because at this point, every school I talk to is extremely competitive and the class sizes are extremely small.

CLS48 in California

23 months ago

You would have to take their prereqs first which could take one or two years. After you finish your prereqs, you have to apply for the 1 year internship which includes an interview. The good news is you're applying for 40 spots and competing against only the pre-CLS students from CSUDH.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

gksidhu in Austin, Texas said: Hi guys! I applied to the CSUDH program post bacch with a degree in microbiology. I got accepted but I am confused. Do I need to retake some classes or can I start the one year program? Also, LLU seems like a good backup because at this point, every school I talk to is extremely competitive and the class sizes are extremely small.

Find out when and where the CSUDH program coordinator's office hours are. Then print out all your unofficial transcripts, bring them to her and she'll help you.

There is no one year program there. It's required to be enrolled in the pre-clinical for at least 1 year to be able to apply for the internship.

gksidhu in Rio Vista, California

23 months ago

Oh okay but I have tried to contact the professor in charge through phone and email and I have yet to hear back. I am not sure if I have to take all of those pre-reqs because I have taken some of them with my degree. Its all so confusing to me!

23 months ago

You won't even be allowed to even get an interview for the internship without being enrolled in the school for at least 2 semesters by the time the internship starts. So you might as well freshen up on those classes anyway.

I would find the coordinators office and look for her postings of her office hours. See if there is a receptionist/assistant there.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.