You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Teresa in Jackson, Mississippi

89 months ago

can a girl become a merchandiser?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Jacksonville, Florida

89 months ago

Of course not! Only a man would know how to effectively merchandise things like perfume, bras, panties, designer dresses and nightgowns. A woman in the job? Ridiculous. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

KB in Mason, Ohio

89 months ago

Nope.. No girls allowed..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

rehopkins902@comcast.net in Salisbury, Maryland

84 months ago

Anonymous in Jacksonville, Florida said: Of course not! Only a man would know how to effectively merchandise things like perfume, bras, panties, designer dresses and nightgowns. A woman in the job? Ridiculous. :)

We knows more about these items. We wear them and we know what to look for and how we would look in them. DO YOU WEAR LACE!!!!!!?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Marla in Romney, Indiana

73 months ago

A girl, depending upon age. I define a girl as being under 18. Yes, I'm sure there are some opportunities for you. Over 18, you bet. If you can read and follow directions, there are opportunities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sgutierrez in Los Angeles, California

63 months ago

blaaaah! in West Covina, California said: IM A COCA COLA MERCH TOO....ITS THE WORST JOB EVER !! BUT, I DO KICK ASS TO THE 18 YR OLD BOYS..WAS EVEN OFFERED A JOB AT A LOCAL MARKET THAT LOVED MY WORK ! AND IM A 40 YR. OLD FEMALE !!

I also was a CoCa Cola Merchandiser. After 20 years they kick you to the curb !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anononymous in Albuquerque, New Mexico

58 months ago

blaaaah! in West Covina, California said: IM A COCA COLA MERCH TOO....ITS THE WORST JOB EVER !! BUT, I DO KICK ASS TO THE 18 YR OLD BOYS..WAS EVEN OFFERED A JOB AT A LOCAL MARKET THAT LOVED MY WORK ! AND IM A 40 YR. OLD FEMALE !!

ok, i think you should act more mature and act like a lady and watch your speech. no need to be nasty about your feed back

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

RFAnderson in Anderson, Indiana

56 months ago

I am not new to the merchandising business. I worked for Pepsi America's in Indpls,IN and worked a ton of stores as a part time merchandiser. It's definitely not work for everyone. If you want to lose weight,get into shape, be a merchandiser. You are always on your feet and constantly throwing cases and you are constantly bending,and stretching. It only got bz during the holidays/super sales and I personally loved working the holidays because it paid time and a half. Of course the part timers get less money on the hour than a full timer, but I got to tell you, I really enjoyed the job. I worked with crappy store mangers and some that were really nice. Some grocery stores did not care for any of the vendors, so be prepared to get frowns and yelled at for something another merch left for you (a mess or non condensed pallets)..DO remember that you prob make more than the average grocery employee on an hourly basis. I highly suggest purchasing a back brace to protect your back. All it takes is one screw up and you are out for 2-3 weeks. What you put into your job is what you will get out of it, so enjoy it if you can. I can only say that I enjoyed my job, because it was just part time and I worked about 26 hours of hard work a week. I worked a variety of hours on Sat and Sundays and some week evenings if I wanted the hours. I got along well with my Pepsi managers and staff. Once you get a nack of running your stores, stocking the shelves the correct way and making sure the stock room is condensed , you should do fine. Just be aware that some pallet jacks are horrible to work with. Remember, you are pulling about 2,000 lbs of pallets..so use a good jack. Make it fun if you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

missimple354 in Abilene, Kansas

50 months ago

I work for coke as a merchandiser. Its very hard work and the pay is not near enough for the manual labor involved. I thought coca cola big name that it might pay good I was wrong . I can do the work but I am so beat after work . pulling pallets and lifting the 8packs of two litters all day is the killer.its up to one person to get all the pallets that come in off the truck out on the selves and after 8am most stores don't let you take out the pallet jack so you have to do double the lifting and some stores I have will get 7 pallets on a truck load to get put out that day and I have other stores that need done also . I am in really good shape but that came from construction work if I hadn't of been in good shape theres no way I could of done this work . I don't understand why it only pays 10 an hour......I am just curious what other soda merch are making?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

missimple354 in Abilene, Kansas

50 months ago

missimple354 in Abilene, Kansas said: I work for coke as a merchandiser. Its very hard work and the pay is not near enough for the manual labor involved. I thought coca cola big name that it might pay good I was wrong . I can do the work but I am so beat after work . pulling pallets and lifting the 8packs of two litters all day is the killer.its up to one person to get all the pallets that come in off the truck out on the selves and after 8am most stores don't let you take out the pallet jack so you have to do double the lifting and some stores I have will get 7 pallets on a truck load to get put out that day and I have other stores that need done also . I am in really good shape but that came from construction work if I hadn't of been in good shape theres no way I could of done this work . I don't understand why it only pays 10 an hour......I am just curious what other soda merch are making?

by the way I am a female ...so to me its very hard work ..I know most men probably doesn't think it is but it is

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

crysdoss in Bemidji, Minnesota

50 months ago

missimple354 in Abilene, Kansas said: I work for coke as a merchandiser. Its very hard work and the pay is not near enough for the manual labor involved. I thought coca cola big name that it might pay good I was wrong . I can do the work but I am so beat after work . pulling pallets and lifting the 8packs of two litters all day is the killer.its up to one person to get all the pallets that come in off the truck out on the selves and after 8am most stores don't let you take out the pallet jack so you have to do double the lifting and some stores I have will get 7 pallets on a truck load to get put out that day and I have other stores that need done also . I am in really good shape but that came from construction work if I hadn't of been in good shape theres no way I could of done this work . I don't understand why it only pays 10 an hour......I am just curious what other soda merch are making?

I too am a woman and I was a coca cola merchandiser in Minnesota and I made consideraby more than 10.00. Pay depends on the area that you live. Low income areas pay low wages and you also have to factor in the cost of living as well. My suggestion would just be grateful that you are currently working and if you are that unhappy than look for another position. However, the grass is never really greener on the other side of the street.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wghaberle in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

Teresa in Jackson, Mississippi said: can a girl become a merchandiser?

Yes a girl can merchandise I've doing it for a living for 3 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

MARINA R in Bell, California

34 months ago

A GIRL CAN BE A MERCHANDISER BUT THAT DONT MEAN ANY GIRL IVE BEEN A MERCHANDISER FOR ALMOST A YR FOR COCA COLA AND ITS PRETTY PHYSICAL BUT I CAN CERTINLY PULL THOSE 2,000 LB PALLETS AND IM NOT SOO BIG OF A GIRL THAT CERTAINLY DRAWS EVEN MORE ATTENTION!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tito in San Diego, California

31 months ago

im a coca cola merchandiser. i get 14 hourly and 66 cents per mile that i travel. best advice is to avoid coca cola. Im looking for a new job and just started this job a month ago. most of the employees i heard gets layed off once they are too old and slow to work. i hear young and healthy employees complain about back pain and legs. im only 21 years old and they dont train you any proper lifting, all they care is that you stock every products fast within a hour and thirty min per store and half hour for small stores..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

andre in Mamaroneck, New York

29 months ago

I'm a merchandiser for coke and I absolutely hate it. My bosses don't like for w/e reason so they give me these routes that are insane. I traveled more than 95 miles this week and 96 miles the week prior. I'm gonna call my old boss and see if I can get my old job back.

andre in Mamaroneck, New York

29 months ago

Tito in San Diego, California said: im a coca cola merchandiser. i get 14 hourly and 66 cents per mile that i travel. best advice is to avoid coca cola. Im looking for a new job and just started this job a month ago. most of the employees i heard gets layed off once they are too old and slow to work. i hear young and healthy employees complain about back pain and legs. im only 21 years old and they dont train you any proper lifting, all they care is that you stock every products fast within a hour and thirty min per store and half hour for small stores..

Just curious, b/c I am also a merch but I'm in new york city, what is the most amount of miles that they had you travel in one week.

shoe-in in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

When I worked for Mosaic the most I traveled in a week was 1500 miles (yes, that is fifteen HUNDRED miles) and gas prices were $4/gallon at that time!

PepsiMax in Minneapolis, Minnesota

25 months ago

As a full time job, this would be one of the most difficult jobs in the country. As pop merchandiser you might be required to handle up to 30 pallets during the busiest days of the year. That's an average of more than a ton per pallet. You'll pull these with pallet jacks that normally receive no maintenance, not even oil for the bearings. Some squeal and feel like "the parking brake is on". You might have to pull the damn thing around almost the entire lenth of the supermarket or discount stores, like Walmart, while weaving and dodging shoppers that don't have the decency to move when they see you lugging your load toward them. The store managers don't like you because you make more money than they do. Even though you're doing more work in a day than they do in two weeks. Your own company managers treat you condescendingly and will intimidate you. They try to make you work at unsafe speeds. It's ironic that the biggest people merchandising get out as soon as they can and become drivers that don't have to do any lifting. Managers don't bother the biggest guys because they're afraid to say anything to them.

That said, if you're a woman, you will be welcomed and treated well because women are under represented in the industry and the companies are afraid of lawsuits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.