Getting a meter reader job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

Host

How did you get your start doing meter reader work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

don cloutier in Gorham, New Hampshire

92 months ago

[Edited by Host] Resume deleted

Please do not post resumes in the forums.
If you would like to set up a profile please go here to log in
www.indeed.com/my/profile

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Vic Mante Jr. in Clearfield, Utah

91 months ago

I am retired 31 years from Pacific Gas & Elect.Co.from Salinas,California 93901. Relocated to Syracuse,UT 84075.
I was a Senior Meter Reader for the company. I would like to know if you have an opening in Salt Lake City as a meter reader.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Patricia in Covina, California

86 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing meter reader work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

I AM INTERESTED IN THIS POSITION HOW WOULD I APPLY TO A POSITION LIKE THIS??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

simeyen harvey in Winchester, California

77 months ago

i would to become a meter reader

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

sonya in Oxford, Mississippi

65 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing meter reader work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular skill?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

JERRY RETANA in Midland, Texas

63 months ago

I'm interested on a meter reader job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

leohub2007@yahoo.com in Los Angeles, California

58 months ago

I would like to know if there are any available local meter reading position with utility companies in southern California especially Los Angeles county. I was one of the best meter reader of the Hollywood district for The Gas Company and would like to re-enlist or apply stable employment with another utility co.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

meterboy44 in Avon, Indiana

58 months ago

I have been a meter reader for over 10 years. Due to the new satallite reads, I have changed companies 3 times. I have always been 1 of the top readers for my company. I would love to find a job somewhere in Nor Cal. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Before I was a meter reader for the Southern California Gas Company, I was a market research survey caller (customer service) and a security officer (six years). A military background or plumbing background would be great for applying for the gas utilities companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Godsdiva403 in El Segundo, California said: When applying for a meter reader position, is it best to apply online or at the company you wish to work for?

We are living in the 21st century, so most applications are first done online. Even though when I applied in 1998, it was the traditional phone call method. Some other states might still use the traditional method but not many.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

keith graham in Cleveland, Ohio

51 months ago

i am keith graham and i am interested in applying for a meter reader position

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

keith graham in Cleveland, Ohio

51 months ago

i am interested in a meter reader position

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

collmcc7 in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

imma jus telll u flat out I Read Meters.... Go Back To School
Between the Dogs the fence jumpin and Crazy customers coming out wit guns wanting to kill you u gotta betta chance of Joining the police department

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Reader X in Houston, Texas

50 months ago

Here's the low down. Once you've been trained at reading the dials... google: meter reading practice; and you'll find some web sites with practice meters. Then you will be instructed on how to handle dog situations to the best of your ability. Make no mistake, you will one day be face to face with a vicious beast of some kind. Now, armed with your protective gear (an umbrella and a baseball cap) you are stuffed into a van full of people at various meeting places from where your crew chief will drive you to the first address on your days route. You are dropped of on the street (rain or shine) where you proceed to walk from house to house. Some routes are better than others and the crew chief usually determines what route you will get. This may involve some discouraging political aspects. If you have a quota to hit, you may never get there if your routes suck ass. For instance if the guy next to you is reading the gas and elec. at each house on their route and your route has only gas reads or only elec. reads... well you know who is gonna have more reads. Some routes all the meters are in the backyard while others are easily on the right or left of the house. Right/Lefts means no gates or fences to deal with, no dogs to deal with, no customers freaking out that someone is in their backyard, simply faster. This reader job I have now found me. I've been searching for other companies in my area, but they seem to keep under the radar for some reason. If you're offered an hourly rate that makes all of this sound appealing more power to you. Good luck. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

derek in Kingwood, Texas

49 months ago

im super curious who this was, gotta he heath. im not mad, just totally curious, please tell me! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SABRINA in Washington, District of Columbia

46 months ago

IVE ALWAYS WANTED TO BE A METER READER I AM 40 YEARS YOUNG AND I NEED GUIDANCE ON HOW TO GET THIS POSITION CAUSE WHEN I TRIED ITS ALWAYS FULLED OR NOT TAKING APPS THANK YOU

leohub2007 in Los Angeles, California

46 months ago

I definitely know what you mean. Here in Los Angeles County, Southern California Edison is not taking applications for meter readers (even though I see them occasionally) and the Department of Water and Power (City of Los Angeles) has all but dried up or froze those positions. I should know because I applied for both in the 21st Century and it's not as easy as back in the 90's (former Gas Company Meter Reader).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

terrence jahraus in midland, Texas

34 months ago

They should make a shark type protection suit that the meter readers can wear. It would be light weight and flexible. You would have your hands free from gloves to be able to write down stuff and of course operate the Taser. I mean what damage would it do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

chancellor.harvey in Grand Prairie, Texas

33 months ago

i looking forword to work as a meter reader i'm a very hard worker and get da job done right

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.