Good EKG schools in florida

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

mialuv in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

62 months ago

I want to do an electrocardiogram program so I could get a job in a hospital while finishing up my rad tech degree. I have also looked at being a sterile tech....Dose anyone know any good schools in florida...specifically south florida...What standards should a prospective school have that I should look for....What steps should I take to get hired by a hospital? It seems like you need the 'hook-up' from the inside before you get hired lol.

Also I was orginally going to major in radiation therapy..now with the economy tanking, I am thinking about switiching to sonography and then get certified as a radiation therapist later once I get my foot in the door. Anyone else having the same predicaments?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

JUAN in Hialeah, Florida

46 months ago

HELLO ERIK, MAY I ASK WHAT CERTIFICATION DO YOU HAVE IN EKG, AND FROM WHAT INSTITUTION, LIKE CARDIVASCULAR CREDENTIALING INTERNATIONAL, THERE ARE DIFERENT TYPES OF LICENSES AND MODALITIES OF EKG JOBS YOU CAN PERFOME, LIKE HOLTER MONITORING, STRESS TESTING, THESE REQUIRE A MORE INTENSE CURRICULUM, AND LIKE CNA,S AND PHEBOTOMIST'S TAKE A MORE SUPERFICIAL COURSE AND ARE LICENSED BY A DIFERENT AGENCY THAT THE REQUIREMENTS TO PASS ARE NOT THAT HARD, THIS TYPE OF LICENSE OR CREDENTIAL IS NOT ACCEPTED IN HOSPITALS AND CARDIOLOGIST OFFICES, HENCE NOT MANY JOB OPPORTUNITIES

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Erik in Chicago, Illinois

46 months ago

Hi i graduated from Cmk in glendale heights illinois i have a National healthcare association certification.I was under the assumption that to do Holter monitoring and stress testing you would be considered an cardiology technician. I could be wrong but what i meant about the cna's and phlebotomy tech's was that a lot of them were just being trained on the job i do not think a lot of them even recive any kind of certification there just trained to do the basics on the machine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

juan in Miami, Florida

46 months ago

NO IS NOT THE SAME IN ORDER TO WORK IN A HOSPITAL AS AN EKG TECH YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO RECOGNIZED ALL ARRYHTHMIAS, AND BE ABLE TO READ 12 LEAD EKG, ALSO HOW TO PREPARE A PATIENT TO HOOK UP A HOLTER THE RIGHT WAY, AND FOR STRESS TESTING THERE IS A LOT MORE RESPONSABILITY ON THE TECH, IF YOU ARE NOT CERTIFIED BY CCI YOU CANNOT DO THESE MODALITIES ANY WHERE, TO DO AN EKG ANYBODY CAN DO IT, HOSPITALS USED TO HIRE CLEANING PEOPLE TO DO THEM, BUT AFTER A FEW DEATHS, FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO READ IT AND RECOGNIZE LETHAL ARRYHTMIAS AND ACUTE INFARCTS, HOSPITALS ONLY HIRE CCI TECHS, THANKS ERIK, IF YOU NEED MORE INFO LET ME KNOW

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

katherinefosquehopkins@yahoo.com in Bell Gardens, California

43 months ago

i am n school for cardiology technician we do get certified c ncct,cci what is the pay range i have 12yrs cna under my belt n phlebotomy....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jordan in Richmond, Virginia

42 months ago

Juan, What school would you recommend in Florida (or elsewhere) for getting training to be an ECG tech? And how much money do they really make? I have seen ads online that state various payscales so I don't which ad is right and which is exaggerated. Thanks.

juan in Miami, Florida said: NO IS NOT THE SAME IN ORDER TO WORK IN A HOSPITAL AS AN EKG TECH YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO RECOGNIZED ALL ARRYHTHMIAS, AND BE ABLE TO READ 12 LEAD EKG, ALSO HOW TO PREPARE A PATIENT TO HOOK UP A HOLTER THE RIGHT WAY, AND FOR STRESS TESTING THERE IS A LOT MORE RESPONSABILITY ON THE TECH, IF YOU ARE NOT CERTIFIED BY CCI YOU CANNOT DO THESE MODALITIES ANY WHERE, TO DO AN EKG ANYBODY CAN DO IT, HOSPITALS USED TO HIRE CLEANING PEOPLE TO DO THEM, BUT AFTER A FEW DEATHS, FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO READ IT AND RECOGNIZE LETHAL ARRYHTMIAS AND ACUTE INFARCTS, HOSPITALS ONLY HIRE CCI TECHS, THANKS ERIK, IF YOU NEED MORE INFO LET ME KNOW

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

monica in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

38 months ago

juan in Miami, Florida said: will you pay $5000.00 for a three month course in ekg knowing you will pass tge board exams and work in a hospital or doctors office at 16 18 gollars an hour

i know the school in fort. lauderdale that you can take EKG cuorse so you can work as a monitor tech in the hospital.it is located in Mc nab and 18 av.is close to US1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

maritza in Hollywood, Florida

37 months ago

I have been looking for any school where i can get a certifiacion in telemetry tech in order to work as a monitor tech in any hospital. Could you recomend me how and where I can get it? I will appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

carlos in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

37 months ago

i'ts true, you can work in a hospital if you understand what you are doing, just make sure you really do, but eventually like with any other profession you will have to become certified, so i will look into passing the cci ekg board, they will be a new ekg school in miami, broward border comming soon, fair price and great knowledge, best professors with a real passion for the medical field, also electroencephalogram tech progarm, stay in touch, thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Fillmore, California

37 months ago

I am currently taking an EKG course and I can take a test to be certified by NCCT. I currently have no healthcare experiance, will my certification alone be enough to get a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

godnursesrule2 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

35 months ago

SherryLynn, which hospital are you working at in tampa?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

daphne in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

31 months ago

monica in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: i know the school in fort. lauderdale that you can take EKG cuorse so you can work as a monitor tech in the hospital.it is located in Mc nab and 18 av.is close to US1

Can u tell me the name of this place please or a specific address if available please? even a number would be fine. thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Daytona Beach, Florida

30 months ago

I have been a Cardiac Tech for about 30 years now, currently working as a Holter Analyst for the past 15 years. I started as a Monitor Technician in a Critical Care Unit and was trained in ECG on the job. It took me a good two years as a monitor tech to feel confident in accurate ECG recognition and I had the benefit of working with Cardiac Physicians and nurses who could share their knowledge with me. Basic training is good, but there are so many variations in arrhythmia's (each heart beat is like a fingerprint) and it can be difficult to determine the origin of actual abnormal arrhythmia's. There are many advanced arrhythmia's that are not covered in basic classes. There are many heart conditions that need skilled interpreters such as artificial pacemaker's, dextrocardia and other complex patterns. Working in an environment where information can be shared is ideal for growing. Most classes are basic and the investment of additional advanced cardiac arrhythmia texts would be extremely helpful.
For the CCT exam, through Cardiovascular Credentialing International it is important to have thorough knowledge of physiology and anatomy (I recommend Grey's Book of Anatomy). The CCT exam is difficult and you need to know your stuff. I would suggest to get into the nursing field or cardiac sonography where there are more opportunities for growth and more $$$$ and a higher demand!
I live in central Florida and work for an out of state company. I turned down positions here in Daytona as the starting pay was low.
I did well living in Chicago and Supervised and was Lead Technician for many transtelephonic companies and salaries and benefits were wonderful. Not so in Florida! Good luck everyone! I would move into another field!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Winter Park, Florida

29 months ago

I am disappointed in Florida hospital, I have tried for the past three years to get a job there and have had no luck. I can't even talk to anyone there for advice or suggestions of how to get in. I have applied for all kinds of jobs that I know i qualify for. I really liked the hospital . I am in the middle of a career change, attending school online for health information. I am just trying to get in the door anywhere to get my feet wet. I am so discouraged!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Hollywood, Florida

26 months ago

monica in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: i know the school in fort. lauderdale that you can take EKG cuorse so you can work as a monitor tech in the hospital.it is located in Mc nab and 18 av.is close to US1

Do you happen to know the name of the schooL? Close to Mcnab?

Lauren in Hudson, Florida

24 months ago

SherryLynn in Tampa, Florida said: Actually, I work in a large hospital and I was trained by the hospital. My education was free and I love my job. My employer opened up a certification course for ekg monitoring and we are crosstrained. I am not CCI certified. But, I do work in a hospital.

Can I ask if you know anyone who got certified and what school they went to in Fl. I want to be an EKG tech but don't have a job in the hospital, so for me it might be easier to get in the door if I have that cert.

rsuesaphire25 in West Palm Beach, Florida

22 months ago

anyone out there knows of schools that teaches ekg that you could work in doctors office? how long should the course be? Is five week course good enough to go on for a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cvicki in Alvin, Texas

21 months ago

I was interested in training online for EKG/Monitor Tech. Does anyone know of a good EKG course to take online that does not have a high cost?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pete in miami in Hallandale, Florida

10 months ago

juan in Miami, Florida said: NO IS NOT THE SAME IN ORDER TO WORK IN A HOSPITAL AS AN EKG TECH YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO RECOGNIZED ALL ARRYHTHMIAS, AND BE ABLE TO READ 12 LEAD EKG, ALSO HOW TO PREPARE A PATIENT TO HOOK UP A HOLTER THE RIGHT WAY, AND FOR STRESS TESTING THERE IS A LOT MORE RESPONSABILITY ON THE TECH, IF YOU ARE NOT CERTIFIED BY CCI YOU CANNOT DO THESE MODALITIES ANY WHERE, TO DO AN EKG ANYBODY CAN DO IT, HOSPITALS USED TO HIRE CLEANING PEOPLE TO DO THEM, BUT AFTER A FEW DEATHS, FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO READ IT AND RECOGNIZE LETHAL ARRYHTMIAS AND ACUTE INFARCTS, HOSPITALS ONLY HIRE CCI TECHS, THANKS ERIK, IF YOU NEED MORE INFO LET ME KNOW

where can you take this cci certified course in south florida

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lb in Largo, Florida

9 months ago

try the text "12 Lead ECG for the Healthcare Provider"

med homas in manhattan, New York

9 months ago

An EKG Technician is an allied healthcare team member responsible for performing EKG on a patient in many different ways, they might be responsible for documentation for the patient records, some places may require the EKG Technician to have a knowledge of medical billing and coding with the medical software knowledge.
EKG Applications may include or exclude

How to perform a 12 lead EKG on a patient
How to perform a 15 lead EKG on a patient
How to perform a 7 lead EKG on a patient
How to perform a 5 lead EKG on a patient
How to perform a 3 lead EKG on a patient
How to perform a Telemetry Monitoring EKG on a patient
How to perform a Holters Monitoring EKG on a patient
How to perform a Stress testing EKG on a patient

look for schools which offers alteast a combination of the above few
once completed apply for EKG Technician Certification Exam nccanow.com/ekg_technician_certificaion.html

Winy in Hollywood, Florida

9 months ago

I take the board for cardiovascular I can't find my certficate can I have a phone number to call to get my certificate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.