Is an EKG tech and an EKG aide the same thing?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Sandy in Miami, Florida

59 months ago

Are they different words for the same job, or does one have more qualifications than the other??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bonnie in North Tonawanda, New York

57 months ago

I believe they are one in the same. Some times when you apply for jobs they classify them as other discriptions. Like a phlebotomist could be a specimen technician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dboyz0123 in Youngstown, Ohio

54 months ago

Hey guys don't pay for these expensive programs for ekg classes. At Kent State they will offer for $1,000 ekg, holter, and stress testing, plus medications related to the heart. It's only a 50 hour class and you get a cert. plus get to sit for national exams. You only need to put $500.00 down. There were 3 ppl that signed up, and I woulda been the 4th. They need 7. They said they will restart the program if more ppl call or join. It's at Kent state trumbull. It's from a REAL university. Not some crap. I am trying to gather ppl. Contact me or reply if your interested. $500 down will secure a spot. They closed it, but will re-open if more ppl join or call. I had them look up the salary, they make 30k a year- 40k( especially with stress testing ). Also, I asked the instructor it would qualify you to be a monitor tech/telementry tech. My guess they would restart it march 30th, cause that's when some of their other career development courses start.

If i can get up to six, I will be willing to give you a small loan and you can repay me through the program.....I understand the economy. The reason why is b/c you will be number 7, which they need. I really want this to happen. Reply or contact me, and I will group ppl. I am going into health care administration, but I want this cert.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dew in Saint Petersburg, Florida

46 months ago

you are insane if you pay that that kind of money for ekg , stress. holter scanning, they are robbing people out of their money. i can teach u in a day i have been all these procedure for 32 years and i am still working as a tech.i working in a cardiac clinic with nurse practioner and cardiolgist, i laugh when i hear people paying out this kind of money to make some one else rich, and majority of the student come out of school dumb and don't know nothing. its sad!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Unsure in Brandon, Florida

43 months ago

OK then, how is someone supposed to get a job as an EKG tech then? I've been looking into a class through a local community college that costs a little over $1000 and only takes 2 months of classes two nights a week. The class is supposed to include the cost of the national testing and certification. Is this a good way to get into a hospital position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tutis in Houston, Texas

36 months ago

Hi,
I am a EKG Monitor Tech but I am looking to grt a National Certification... Maybe someone knows, where can I take it??? or what can I do for??

Thanks,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rtjohanson in Calhoun, Georgia

35 months ago

Hi,
I just graduated an EKG Tech course and took the national exam in August and got my certificate. I went to MTI of North Ga and paid about $700 for the course and $112 for the national test. You can find info at NHAnow.com for where you can take the test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

med homas in manhattan, New York

12 months ago

Tutis in Houston, Texas said: Hi,
I am a EKG Monitor Tech but I am looking to grt a National Certification... Maybe someone knows, where can I take it??? or what can I do for??

Thanks,

Route 1: if you are apply for the program through High School Graduate / GED
• Apply for the program
• Get Enrolled
• Attend the program
• Graduate
• Apply for Certification
• Become a Certified EKG Technician (Clinical) by National Certification Career Association
Exam Layout nccanow.com/exam_content_ouline.html

Route 2: if you are applying for the program through Experience
• Directly Apply for Certification
• Comply with the requirements for the certification exam
• Challenge the certification exam
• Become a Certified EKG Technician (Clinical) by National Certification Career Association
nccanow.com/ekg_technician_certificaion.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Roger RCS, RDCS (AE,PE) RVT in Burlingame, California

12 months ago

There are a few National Boards that offer certification. I know of a guy that sat for multiple boards just to accomplish it. Great guy.

I worked as a monitor tech 3 months after I finished my ekg course. As from what I've seen, in the bay area, nobody I worked with had national boards, just the certificate they took an ekg course.

The national boards I know and went to were CCI (cci-online.org)

EKG
cci-online.org/content/certified-cardiographic-technician-cct

Telemetry/monitor tech
cci-online.org/content/certified-rhythm-analysis-technician-crat

med homas in manhattan, New York

12 months ago

Yes Getting A EKG Certification can be stressful as you need to know which is the best suitable for you.

When you apply or jobs at the job interview the employers first question (majority) would be
" do you have experience" which many people don't have the answer for since they are a new graduate form the EKG Technician Program from a school or university.

Choose the school which offers the hands on training to the EKG section. cause having hands on is what is important, this way you learn ways to troubleshoot the artifacts in EKG.

Also try to learn most of the types of EKG placement
12 Lead EKG
10 Lead EKG
15 Lead EKG
3 Lead EKG
5 Lead EKG
7 Lead EKG
Holters & Telemetry

Once completed with the training apply for the National Certification Exam to be a Certified EKG technician, there are many choices which you can choose from, but i would suggest the national certification which will test you knowledge both of clinical and theory components hence this way your answer to your employer would be " NO I DON'T HAVE EXPERIENCE BUT HAVE GOT MY CERTIFICATION BY BEING SUCCESSFUL ON BOTH CLINICAL AND THEORY COMPONENTS" this shows the employer that you have the potential to do that required skills.

For More information about the exam
nccanow.com/ekg_technician_certificaion.html

For Exam Components
nccanow.com/uploads/NCCA_EKG_Technician_Exam_Content_Outline_docx.pdf

For Exam Pattern
nccanow.com/exam_layouts.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Calebj in Tualatin, Oregon

12 months ago

Getting certified to be an EKG Technician is very important. In fact, many insurance providers, including Medicare, will not pay for a procedure unless a certified cardiovascular technician performed it. Because of this, it will be extremely difficult to find a job as an EKG technician if your not certified. Regarding training, most people will not be able to pass the certification without formal training. Also, having a degree under you belt will help you get a leg up on the competition with prospective employers. If your looking to start a career this is a great resource for those looking for more information on <a title="EKG technician training" href="www.ekgtech.net/ekg-career/">EKG technician training</a>

Calebj in Tualatin, Oregon

12 months ago

Sorry Fixed the Link.

Getting certified to be an EKG Technician is very important. In fact, many insurance providers, including Medicare, will not pay for a procedure unless a certified cardiovascular technician performed it. Because of this, it will be extremely difficult to find a job as an EKG technician if your not certified. Regarding training, most people will not be able to pass the certification without formal training. Also, having a degree under you belt will help you get a leg up on the competition with prospective employers. If your looking to start a career as and EKG Technician this is a great resource. www.ekgtech.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.