What are the best monitor technician qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 126)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

What is the best training for becoming a monitor technician? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective monitor technician?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Jane Hartfield

83 months ago

What type ofngoing trainings re necessary to be an effectivemonitor tech? I have an certification in monitoring and telemerty but it was only a three hour course done for another reason.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (83) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

JM in Hartford, Iowa

81 months ago

I would spend time reading one or more of the many ECG books that are out there. The other option if it is available is too take advanced ECG classes, ACLS or even an A&P class if available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

LOVELY MATTHEWS in Jupiter, Florida

78 months ago

I WANT TO BE COME A MONTIOR TECH SHOW ME HOW

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (114) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Nowhere near Bellevue lol in Bellevue, Washington

70 months ago

There are tons of free study materials online, and many books at the local bookstore. Take the time to learn the basic rhythms on your own, and learn how to read a rhythm strip as well. It's easier than you think. Get a book on medical terminology, and learn how to use a business phone, and you've got a foot in the door as a monitor tech. Call the local hospitals and ask if they have a monitor tech certification class, then apply for a job.

Another option is to get your CNA license and cross train as a monitor tech/unit coordinator.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

norvic565@att.net in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

I want to be monitor tech. Please, show me how.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No Reply - Report abuse

acewarlock in Ellenton, Florida

67 months ago

I have called about 10 hospitals and they all say the same thing, they only give the course to there own employees that want to advance. I haven't found any schools that teach a monitor tech course but they do offer EKG/ECG courses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

C MCNABB in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

norvic565@att.net in Chicago, Illinois said: Is it possible you can get me a school whre can learn ekg/ecg?

SAMLAND INSTITUTE OF ALLIED HEALTH CAREERS IN CHICAGO THIS IS A 5 WEEK COURSE AFTER YOU COMPLETE COURSE YOU TAKE TEST FOR CERTIFICATION THORUGH NATIONAL HEALTH CAREERS ASSOC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dboyz in Youngstown, Ohio

67 months ago

Allied health institue, its done online. Its accredited by CCI( being you can take the exam through them ), I mean you can take their exam. Its 6 months though, and its $7,000.00. You have to do 90 hours of intern work as well. However, they teach EKG, Holter, and stress testing, plus taking vitals. You can also get financial aid.To me though, EKG is just a skill, not really a carreer. Alot of nurses are trained and m/as to do this. However, checking out current salaries in my area, it pays $14.50 average per hour. I bet the job demand is slow though cause the hospitals train their own nurses aid and others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

A monitor tech just sits at a bank of monitors and thats all, that $7000 course is putting the leads on and doing stress tests and a whole lot of other things and for $14.50 hr it ain't worth it. I'm looking for the 3 hr course to just watch the monitors and print out a strip if needed and that pay's about $14 hr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dboyz in Youngstown, Ohio

67 months ago

acewarlock in Ellenton, Florida said: A monitor tech just sits at a bank of monitors and thats all, that $7000 course is putting the leads on and doing stress tests and a whole lot of other things and for $14.50 hr it ain't worth it. I'm looking for the 3 hr course to just watch the monitors and print out a strip if needed and that pay's about $14 hr.

Yeah, that sounds better...lol.I wonder if you could cross train, be an ekg tech, then that get you qualified to watch monitors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

An EKG Tech can also watch monitor's but that is a step down for them as they already have those skills plus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paul bunion

67 months ago

Ekg techs are not qualified to be monitor techs at least most of the ones that I have worked with, and I have worked at a number of hospitals as a monitor tech. The only thing they do is connect the 12 lead portable monitor to a patient and press a botton. They have no idea what those little lines mean. Yes alot of places cross train their own employes but alot hire from the outside. Look for a EKG course to learn to do 12 lead ekgs and from there study the basic rhythms. It's good to know how to do a 12 lead but the majority of the learning is done on the job in my eyes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

evee45 in Las Vegas, Nevada

67 months ago

Where and how do I apply for a monitor tech job in Las Vegas? How much is the starting pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda

67 months ago

I've been a monitor tech/tele tech for 20 years.. I sit in an ICU unit and watch 6 ICU monitors and 8 Tele monitors... I like the hospital and the ICU Manager and nurses make my life worth going to work for, the pay could be better but at least I have a job I enjoy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BTclassic

64 months ago

Dboyz in Youngstown, Ohio said: Yeah, that sounds better...lol.I wonder if you could cross train, be an ekg tech, then that get you qualified to watch monitors.

OMG, I took the ekg tech program at the community college. Learned ekg, stress, and advanced ekg reading. It took 5 months for the basic, intermediate and advanced courses, can now look at an ekg strip and tell you what is going on and what is causing it. Excellent program. This only cost 600.00, so I'm not sure why it would cost 7,000. That is unbelievable. I think I would have that school investigated. I took the national certification test and passed with flying colors. This course is thru Johns Hopkins Hospital also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No Reply - Report abuse

dboyz0123 in Youngstown, Ohio

64 months ago

BTclassic said: OMG, I took the ekg tech program at the community college. Learned ekg, stress, and advanced ekg reading. It took 5 months for the basic, intermediate and advanced courses, can now look at an ekg strip and tell you what is going on and what is causing it. Excellent program. This only cost 600.00, so I'm not sure why it would cost 7,000. That is unbelievable. I think I would have that school investigated. I took the national certification test and passed with flying colors. This course is thru Johns Hopkins Hospital also.

WoW only 600.00. Dang. Yeah, I dont have a community college near me. Far as the school, I thought 7k was high myself. It is accredited and recognized by CCI and the national cert test to become a CCT.

64 months ago

BTclassic said: OMG, I took the ekg tech program at the community college. Learned ekg, stress, and advanced ekg reading. It took 5 months for the basic, intermediate and advanced courses, can now look at an ekg strip and tell you what is going on and what is causing it. Excellent program. This only cost 600.00, so I'm not sure why it would cost 7,000. That is unbelievable. I think I would have that school investigated. I took the national certification test and passed with flying colors. This course is thru Johns Hopkins Hospital also.

Hey also, did you already have to be a nurse or in healthcare to learn your course? Just a q, cause there is a small vo-ed school that only charges I think 300.00. Its just for basic EKG for healthcare backrounds or science ones. I tried getting in, but not enough joined, so it cancelled. However, the 300 course wont get you certified as a CCT.

64 months ago

acewarlock in Ellenton, Florida said: A monitor tech just sits at a bank of monitors and thats all, that $7000 course is putting the leads on and doing stress tests and a whole lot of other things and for $14.50 hr it ain't worth it. I'm looking for the 3 hr course to just watch the monitors and print out a strip if needed and that pay's about $14 hr.

Hey, did you find your course, and hows everything going with that?

acewarlock in Parrish, Florida

64 months ago

I got tired of looking.

64 months ago

Dboyz in Youngstown, Ohio said: Yeah, that sounds better...lol.I wonder if you could cross train, be an ekg tech, then that get you qualified to watch monitors.

If your an EKG Tech, you are Qualifed to watch a monitor, Monitor tech is the lowest of the two.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Paul bunion said: Ekg techs are not qualified to be monitor techs at least most of the ones that I have worked with, and I have worked at a number of hospitals as a monitor tech. The only thing they do is connect the 12 lead portable monitor to a patient and press a botton. They have no idea what those little lines mean. Yes alot of places cross train their own employes but alot hire from the outside. Look for a EKG course to learn to do 12 lead ekgs and from there study the basic rhythms. It's good to know how to do a 12 lead but the majority of the learning is done on the job in my eyes.

If all they do is connect the 12 leads, then they are NOT an EKG Tech, they may be called that where you work but there not. That would be like calling a CNA a Nurse just because the CNA takes blood pressures once in awhile.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BT Classic

64 months ago

Paul bunion said: Ekg techs are not qualified to be monitor techs at least most of the ones that I have worked with, and I have worked at a number of hospitals as a monitor tech. The only thing they do is connect the 12 lead portable monitor to a patient and press a botton. They have no idea what those little lines mean. Yes alot of places cross train their own employes but alot hire from the outside. Look for a EKG course to learn to do 12 lead ekgs and from there study the basic rhythms. It's good to know how to do a 12 lead but the majority of the learning is done on the job in my eyes.

In Maryland, if you take the course you need to know what (those little lines mean)LOL. This course was very thorough. We had to measure every p,qrs,t wave. We learned every arrhythmia out there.The axis of the qrs to figure out what chamber of the heart the problem is in. Anatomy of physiology of the heart,sinus,atrial,juntional,ventricular,atrioventricular arrhythmias,blocks,bundle branch and fascicular blocks,myocardial ischemia,injury and infarction. This helps a lot when you go for an interview, a lot of cardiologists like having someone point out these things. Of course the cardiologist has to still look at the ekg strip, but when doing a stress test on someone, it's nice to know the person doing the test knows if you shouldn't do the test when they hook you up to the monitor and look at the resting ekg. So don't believe that an ekg tech, JUST HOOKS UP THE LEADS. Maybe in some places that's all they do, but not all places, and the more you know, the more you get paid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

BT Classic said: In Maryland, if you take the course you need to know what (those little lines mean)LOL. This course was very thorough. We had to measure every p,qrs,t wave. We learned every arrhythmia out there.The axis of the qrs to figure out what chamber of the heart the problem is in. Anatomy of physiology of the heart,sinus,atrial,juntional,ventricular,atrioventricular arrhythmias,blocks,bundle branch and fascicular blocks,myocardial ischemia,injury and infarction. This helps a lot when you go for an interview, a lot of cardiologists like having someone point out these things. Of course the cardiologist has to still look at the ekg strip, but when doing a stress test on someone, it's nice to know the person doing the test knows if you shouldn't do the test when they hook you up to the monitor and look at the resting ekg. So don't believe that an ekg tech, JUST HOOKS UP THE LEADS. Maybe in some places that's all they do, but not all places, and the more you know, the more you get paid.

Hey, just a q, did you land a job? I just want to know. Also if you can do EKGs, Holter, stress, vitals,and learn how to read the ekg and study the medicines. How much can you expect to make? Do you know. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

acewarlock in Parrish, Florida said: I got tired of looking.

Thanks for the reply and GL. Hey man have you ever tried polysomnography bro? It would be to hard to land in a hospital, but they do OTJ training in some independent labs. You would have do alot of calling, but it could be a field for you. Although with the economy, that field can be good and bad.

64 months ago

Jane Hartfield said: What type ofngoing trainings re necessary to be an effectivemonitor tech? I have an certification in monitoring and telemerty but it was only a three hour course done for another reason.

What did you do for that? Like what course. I am looking at doing a cct( ekg tech ) with stress testing, holter,ect. The more certs and the more I can learn the better. I am a junior at a college, but its just a general science degree. I need certs to back it up. So if it was just a three hour course,I would be interested to know. Thanks

Vic in Marble Falls, Texas

64 months ago

Nowhere near Bellevue lol in Bellevue, Washington said: There are tons of free study materials online, and many books at the local bookstore. Take the time to learn the basic rhythms on your own, and learn how to read a rhythm strip as well. It's easier than you think. Get a book on medical terminology, and learn how to use a business phone, and you've got a foot in the door as a monitor tech. Call the local hospitals and ask if they have a monitor tech certification class, then apply for a job.

Another option is to get your CNA license and cross train as a monitor tech/unit coordinator.

Hi! I am getting ready to take and EKG course and was interested in your comment regarding "free study materials online". Can you tell me which sites these are? And can you recommend some books that you have used that really helped you out! Another question I had is how long was your training? My course is going to be 6 wks long. Out of that time there will only be 12 classes. Will this be enough time to lean how to read strips? One other question, in regards to the test at the end..... how much will they expect me to be able to read and how do they approch that? Any help you can give me would be GREAT! Thanks...........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

patrick in Orlando, Florida

63 months ago

norvic565@att.net in Chicago, Illinois said: I want to be monitor tech. Please, show me how.

I've been a monitor tech since 1992. I took a course in cardiovascular technology and was able to land a job as a monitor tech. I dont recommend a $7000 or $9000 school to learn to be a monitor tech. Im trying to start a business teaching the course online far less than the schools offer. Look me up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

frank in Greensburg, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

I became a monitor tech at a local hospital via training as a paramedic.

My hospital we were EKG/Telemetry dept. We did all EKG thoughout hospital and the central telemetry for 7 patient floors.

Every hospital calls it something different and positions differ also. Look at where you want to work. Also what goes at one hospital might be different at another.

Vicki Perkins in Marble Falls, Texas

61 months ago

patrick in Orlando, Florida said: I've been a monitor tech since 1992. I took a course in cardiovascular technology and was able to land a job as a monitor tech. I dont recommend a $7000 or $9000 school to learn to be a monitor tech. Im trying to start a business teaching the course online far less than the schools offer. Look me up.

Thank u for ur response. I am currently a poloysomnography Tech and found that I really don't understand how to read an EKG lead. I can see the basic but, being, new at this I want to learn all I can. What do u offer in the way of trainning?

cola1955@verizon.net in Clinton, Maryland

61 months ago

JM in Hartford, Iowa said: I would spend time reading one or more of the many ECG books that are out there. The other option if it is available is too take advanced ECG classes, ACLS or even an A&P class if available.

i am acls certified,also i have a telemetry certificate/ekg/cardiac med
certificate from where i used to work.i did very well in the acls but.
i don't have practice pulling up the strips on the tele machine and
troubleshooting the main machine,i,know,how,to do the ekg.and put the monitor on the patient ,can you sugestwhat else i might need?

Eddie in Miami, Florida

60 months ago

I live in South Florida and I can think of at least three or four publicly funded tech schools that give you a thorough training in EKG. I can believe the person who said they found the course for 7k though; I am willing to bet that course was through a private, for-profit school. Those kinds of schools make a business out of ripping people off are trying to learn a skill.

adri in Washington, District of Columbia

60 months ago

You do not need to take a course in able to get a job as a monitor tech. The concepts are pretty basic, so hospitals will teach you everything you need to know in a 1-3 day orientation class. Do not waste your money!! You should definitely check out an ECG/EKG book beforehand to be better prepared, but DO NOT pay for a class. Especially b/c that probably won't increase your chances of landing a position by much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eddie in Miami, Florida

60 months ago

adri in Washington, District of Columbia said: You do not need to take a course in able to get a job as a monitor tech. The concepts are pretty basic, so hospitals will teach you everything you need to know in a 1-3 day orientation class. Do not waste your money!! You should definitely check out an ECG/EKG book beforehand to be better prepared, but DO NOT pay for a class. Especially b/c that probably won't increase your chances of landing a position by much.

You're in DC; the situation is different in South Fl. No one is ever wasting their money by trying to learn more anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

everlenemc in Las Vegas, Nevada

60 months ago

Certain states you have to be certified already as a EKG tech,for instant Las Vegas,NV.

cola1955@verizon.net in Clinton, Maryland

60 months ago

adri in Washington, District of Columbia said: You do not need to take a course in able to get a job as a monitor tech. The concepts are pretty basic, so hospitals will teach you everything you need to know in a 1-3 day orientation class. Do not waste your money!! You should definitely check out an ECG/EKG book beforehand to be better prepared, but DO NOT pay for a class. Especially b/c that probably won't increase your chances of landing a position by much.

thank you "adri" florence/cola clinton ,d.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Susie in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

60 months ago

patrick in Orlando, Florida said: I've been a monitor tech since 1992. I took a course in cardiovascular technology and was able to land a job as a monitor tech. I dont recommend a $7000 or $9000 school to learn to be a monitor tech. Im trying to start a business teaching the course online far less than the schools offer. Look me up.[/QUOTE

Hi,
Have you started your business?
I am looking for an online class.
Thanks!

ms in Chicago, Illinois

56 months ago

norvic565@att.net in Chicago, Illinois said: Is it possible you can get me a school whre can learn ekg/ecg?

did you find a program for ecg/ekg in chicago,il? Looking for the same thing and in chicago,il.If anybody took the class at Samland how was it and what is their passing rate? if so infor me thanks

56 months ago

ms in Chicago, Illinois said: did you find a program for ecg/ekg in chicago,il? Looking for the same thing and in chicago,il.If anybody took the class at Samland how was it and what is their passing rate? if so infor me thanks

Hey, don't know about chicago. However, I found that most colleges or technical colleges offerer ekg classes. Typically speaking they are anywhere between $500-$1,000. The ones that are around 1k should also teach holter monitoring as well. Usually atleast at a university around where Im at, the class is in the career development part of the college. I always thought you had to go through all these classes and it would be one big program but it's not. The only pre-req might be A&P. The reason why is b/c some of these classes are in medical assisting progams.....That's why some technical/vo-ed schools offer them.

However, if your state requires you to be a registered cct, then you might want to find a program. Again, should not be much more than $1,000. The thing is, this field is decling b/c they can just train nuses aids to do it. The jons are still around though for ekg and monitoring, just won't be growing that fast. Heck though for only $500-1k of investment to make more than $10 an hour, not bad. I know some ppl who have their B.As and are struggling to make more than 30k a year. Hope this helps.

56 months ago

sorry for the bad spelling above..haha, I am tired. Yeah check out your tech schools or vo-eds and career development centers. If they offer medical assist, they should have an ekg course you might be able to take seperate. I would just make sure that you also learn how to read the ekg, not just hook ppl to it. So,that way it would be more beneficial in my mind for monitor tech. Who knows maybe you can even slide into a hospital as an ekg tech( they are limited field ) and learn more things as well.

56 months ago

frank in Greensburg, Pennsylvania said: I became a monitor tech at a local hospital via training as a paramedic.

My hospital we were EKG/Telemetry dept. We did all EKG thoughout hospital and the central telemetry for 7 patient floors.

Every hospital calls it something different and positions differ also. Look at where you want to work. Also what goes at one hospital might be different at another.

Would EMT basic training qualify for the same with just an ekg course, not paramedic though? thx

Frank in Irwin, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

EMT-B (Basic) are not trained to read or interpet EKG rhythms. That requires an advanced level provider for that. I had the training which made the hospital training a breeze.

Dmunroe in Saint Cloud, Florida

56 months ago

acewarlock in Parrish, Florida said: If all they do is connect the 12 leads, then they are NOT an EKG Tech, they may be called that where you work but there not. That would be like calling a CNA a Nurse just because the CNA takes blood pressures once in awhile.

CNA DOES MORE WORK THAN A NURSE AND GETS PAID LESS> THEY DO ALOT MOR THAN A BP ONCE AND A WHILE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

CNA may do more work, but a Nurse has the training and brains to keep patients alive and not just change a bed pan and change dressings

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

I'm a CNA and CMA. I love my job. Tried Nursing but just wasn't for me. So i've gone into PSG and and very happy there. But i'm wanting to take a course in EKG to help understand what i'm reading. I can put in an argument for both sides. I've worked with many fellow CNA's and nurses...... To each their own because i've seen good ones and bad ones on both sides. But.... i will say one thing.... if you enjoy what your doiing....go all the way!!! Learn all you can!! My only question is are there enough jobs out there to find work once you get certified in EKG? I can't seem to get any answers on that. And i've tried to talk to the human resouces dept (anyone) with some answers? Can some one help with that??? Thanks... Merry Christmas... :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

That's to be debated. I have work with many nurses that I wouldn't want touching any of my family members. They don't keep patients alive the DR do. They only follow instructions or give orders to do work they don't want to do. There to good to empty a bed pan or change a dressing. Team work is what it is suppose to be about. If I touch a sensitive spot with you maybe you 1 of the bunch

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Oh no.... you didn't ruffle my feathers at all!! ha.. I agree with you 100%!! I have seen some nurses that piss me of to no ends. You are right when you say they are not team players and pass the work on down to the CNA's and then wonder why they are never around when they need them! I've seen it all my friend! And i got feed up with it and moved on into a field that i really enjoy. I appreciate your honesty and integrity!! Thanks for letting me express that. But on the other hand i have seen CNA's that do not want to do their job. You... my friend are NOT one of those. I can tell! Thank you for all you do... honestly!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

You must be a CNA, my wife is a RN and a friend of mine was having a bad Kidney removed (the one on the Right side), I told my wife about him getting the Operation that night and she was going to work so she stopped in to check on him for me before the operation and when she looked at his chart the Doctor had indicated that it was the LEFT KIDNY that was going to be removed and that was the side they where prepping. My wife Notified his Nurse and they got every thing stratined out. My friend thanked her for saving him. I sure as hell wouldn't want a CNA taking care of me and when I was in the hospital, I couldn't even get the CNA to mop the floor or clean the bathroom and they were filthy. I had to call house keeping and complain. they cleaned it then and gave me a dirty look while they where doing it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

What field of work did you move on to? Just wondering I am looking to get away from the medical field myself. Been doing this for 28 years and burnt out

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Sounds like your friend pick a SH-IT hole for a hospital. An for your information CNA do not prep anyone for surgery. I work on a surgical floor and thats the nurses job. So before you continue to bad mouth CNAs and put them all in 1 catorgory maybe you should get your facts straight

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.