Anyone Hiring New Grads?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Nurse Adam in Dallas, Texas

58 months ago

Hi everyone, I stumbled onto this blog by accident, but I'm glad I found it. I'm a new LVN grad & just passed my state boards the last week of Dec. I didn't have time to be put on a 2yr waiting list for an RN program from a traditional College, so I attended a private nursing school called DNI (Dallas Nursing Institute which I heard just got bought out by ATI and just started their RN/ADN program). I thought LVN school would be a breeze since I already have a BS degree, but boy was I wrong! DNI had a tough curriculum (only 9 out of the 62 made it), so they did a great job preparing me. I def have an appreciation for LVN's and what they have to go through. As far as the Dallas job market (which includes Collin County)it seems to be over saturated with LVN's, most of the clinics & nursing homes are fully staffed- I've been searching & interviewing for the last month and 1/2 and I can tell you, it's not as easy as I thought, there alot of PRN jobs out there- but 1x/wk doesn't cut it when you have bills. I graduated the top 4 in my class, but there are folks who barely passed or who had to take their Exit Exams 2x that have already gotten FT jobs since they live close to Arlington or on the Ft.Worth side, but it's a different climate on the Dallas side. Here's my experience: alot of the hospitals I did clinicals in 2009 have changed their policy and no longer hire LVN's for their 2010 policy. Even the LTAC in Plano that I use to work for before nursing school no longer bring LVN's on board according to their HR and I was counting on them to hire me right out of school, ironic they're the ones who said we need more people like you & encouraged me to go to school. Some of the existing LVN nurses I talked to at Plano Specialty said they're getting a deadline to complete their RN, and now most of the major hospitals are pressing some of my aunts who work as RN's to get their BSN, so I see the healthcare landscape changing. It's finally happening!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Mika Perry in Crowley, Texas

40 months ago

I am a recent graduate of North Central Tx College Vocational Nursing Program. I graduated Aug.11,2011 and am scheduled to take boards on Sept.14,2011. I am having a hard time finding a job period. I live in Joshua which isn't to far from the metroplex. Do you have any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dantheman in Los Angeles, California

39 months ago

I have had my LVN for 12 months now. I have submitted 300+ applications with maybe 6 interviews so far. There are NOOOOOO LVN jobs around. With this bad economy everyone is going back to get some type of quick vocational certificate or something. This leads to a "supply/demand" job market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Artsy Nurse in Fresno, California

37 months ago

I'm having the same problem. I graduated in February of this year, was licensed at the end of July after all the paperwork submissions and waiting period to take my test. I have had 2 interviews and a lot of turn downs because I have no experience. So far I actually got 4 jobs...2 of those are through agencies which are still waiting for assignments for me (because I'm a new grad they are hard to come by), and one job is seasonal as part of a flu clinic (Mollen Immunizations) but I haven't got any hours, and the last job I recently interviewed for a school nurse assistant which I got a substitute position in case the LVN who was chosen calls in or can't make it. Haven't got any hours anywhere and have now been officially unemployed for almost two weeks with bills to pay. My fellow classmates have got lucky and most of them got jobs, one recommended doing internships because she did free work for a few days, 8 hour shifts and someone asked if there were any LVNs available, and BAM!...she was hired! It's tough...going to school for an LVN, paying school fees including books...to come to this! Argh! We must keep our heads up! Keep applying. I'm already over 50 applications. I've applied for the prisons in the area. I called the 800 HR number for the prisons and they told me they are hiring new grads in the central valley because no one usually wants to work out here and a classmate also just recently got an interview with no experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

taylors7_to@msn.com in Newbury Park, California

37 months ago

You need to think outside of the box. Also be sure to have a great resume. List all of the experience you had as a student nurse and where you worked as a student. Be sure to dress for success too. One of my students got a job 3 days after her license came in the mail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

LOOKING FOR WORK PLEASE CONTACT in Glen Rose, Texas

30 months ago

Hello,
I am more then willing to hire in home nurs aswell as LVN and RN and mabe CNA depending on reasonable information. I have a young adult who is in need of in home health care and with paid salary and a hard worker you will get paid to the correct pay.
My family is looking for:
_The abilty to drive
_the abilty to give meds and treatment
_ the abilty to be on time and open to change according to family producers

pay starts with the amount willing to work
(will help find housing if need to)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Toi

29 months ago

Hello you guys! I hope everyone is doing ok! I just graduated and I passed my nclex exam! Yea for me however I'm having a hard time finding a job.. Can anyone help me please? I would really love to work in a nursing home or heck any where. I live in Dallas Texas and can't seem to find anything. If anyone has anything I'd really appreciate it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Toi

29 months ago

Hello you guys! I hope everyone is doing ok! I just graduated and I passed my nclex exam! Yea for me however I'm having a hard time finding a job.. Can anyone help me please? I would really love to work in a nursing home or heck any where. I live in Dallas Texas and can't seem to find anything. If anyone has anything I'd really appreciate it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Toi

29 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

chuck in Grand Prairie, Texas

26 months ago

Yeah i dunno wats happening with LVN degree.I passed my boards 3 months ago, no luck yet.Everywhere,you apply the say 1 yr experience before i am hired. How then will i get the experience.I am beginning to have doubts about why i did LVN in the first place. I would have waited to do the RN, its so frustrating for 3 months no job. i have applied to more than 50 places,i am getting confused at least for now. I live in Dallas Tx. It looks like the worst place for an LVN to live. I will probably relocate this month if i don't find anything soon b/c my savings are all gone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jdoll81 in El Paso, Texas

23 months ago

I have searched for jobs in grand prairie, many job opportunities come up? I dont know why u guys are having trouble? Are u guys accepting to work at anytime, even accept PRN. Ill see if i can post the jobs that i see or heck go in person and sell yourself. =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rachel in Conroe, Texas

9 months ago

If you are still looking for an LVN job in Dallas, please send me your resume @ rachel@bh2woodlands.com. I am looking to hire an LVN in our Dallas location for Balanced Hormones and Health

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.