ex con..scared

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

cest moi in Modesto, California

82 months ago

i have a conviction and am scared ..hitless about applying for my board exam. are there any blog sites or info clearing house for poeple with prior convictions with regards lvn licensure. Does any 1 have the same issues? are there any specific convictions that they specifically frown upon? i declared my convictions and attached a copy of my expungement record but still am grrrrrrrrr.. Helllllllp!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shelby in Austin, Texas

81 months ago

I guess that you have already taken the classes and now you are just waiting.... I do not know how it is in Cal, but in Texas Alcohol, Drug and Felonies are considered extremely bad. If you were able to get it cleared that means that you were convicted. While they cant exactly hold it against you, it is still frowned on. Did you check around before hand with the licensing board and with employers?? I know of 3 major employers here that will not hire regardless of current standings. Good luck!! Try www.allnurses.com maybe there is something in there forums that can assist you. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

also with record in Los Angeles, California

79 months ago

while allnurses.com is a great site/resource, they will not help answer any questions about criminal records. I got absolutely 0 help there on this subject.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

just starting nursing in Victorville, California

78 months ago

Was just wondering how did this turn out for you. Were you able to get licensed with your felony?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

justme in Antioch, California

78 months ago

nooooo. nott feeeeeelllony. Mis Deeeee.
And i havent taken it yet. Still scared. LOL!!

josef in Salinas, California

78 months ago

Im a lvn and had a dui in 1992. They make their decision on an individual basis

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

josef in Salinas, California

78 months ago

josef in Salinas, California said: Im a lvn and had a dui in 1992. They make their decision on an individual basis

ohh, no felony and got license 4yrs ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

connie in Sacramento, California

78 months ago

josef in Salinas, California said: Im a lvn and had a dui in 1992. They make their decision on an individual basis

question I just recientely got a wet reckless and I have been a lvn 17 years no complaints and good standing will they put me in diversion or will this be a fine , just curiouse

connie in Sacramento, California

76 months ago

Hay does any one know any thing about a wet reckless and does the lvn board treat it diffrentely at all , first wet reckless any help at all out their

BSN almost graduated in San Diego, California

67 months ago

I will graduate in summer '09 and have dui that will be over 7 yrs old once I apply to the California BRN. I have been active in AA since 2005 and am hoping they will see that I have recovered from DUI and it will not happen again. Has anyone recently been accepted by the CA BRN with a similar situation?

Also, to everyone out there...don't give up if you want to be a nurse! Keep your nose clean but more importantly be honest with yourself about why you got your conviction in the first place. Good luck! God Bless!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

C'est Moi in Oakley, California

67 months ago

Cheers Mates!! I was finally absolved by the enforcement unit at BVNPT after months of reviewing my convictions. As of today I am happy to say that my license has been approved. I just have to dole out that hefty 120.00 check to them again for wasting my time b4 they can finally send my Tajetas. Good Luck Y'all. Now am off to go mess with the RN board. See y'all there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

BSN almost graduated in San Diego, California

67 months ago

C'est Moi in Oakley, California said: Cheers Mates!! I was finally absolved by the enforcement unit at BVNPT after months of reviewing my convictions. As of today I am happy to say that my license has been approved. I just have to dole out that hefty 120.00 check to them again for wasting my time b4 they can finally send my Tajetas. Good Luck Y'all. Now am off to go mess with the RN board. See y'all there.

Congrats C'est Moi! I am happy that you were able to get your license! How long did the review take? Also, sounds like you are getting your RN also? Please keep us updated on that one too if you have the time. Take care!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Monet Terre in Newbury Park, California

63 months ago

cest moi in Modesto, California said: i have a conviction and am scared ..hitless about applying for my board exam. are there any blog sites or info clearing house for poeple with prior convictions with regards lvn licensure. Does any 1 have the same issues? are there any specific convictions that they specifically frown upon? i declared my convictions and attached a copy of my expungement record but still am grrrrrrrrr.. Helllllllp!![/QUOTE

Did you ever get your license?

63 months ago

did you get your LVN license

63 months ago

cest moi in Modesto, California said: i have a conviction and am scared ..hitless about applying for my board exam. are there any blog sites or info clearing house for poeple with prior convictions with regards lvn licensure. Does any 1 have the same issues? are there any specific convictions that they specifically frown upon? i declared my convictions and attached a copy of my expungement record but still am grrrrrrrrr.. Helllllllp!!

did you get your license?

C'est Moi in Chino Hills, California

63 months ago

Yes I did.

smsanchez4@yahoo.com in Riverside, California

63 months ago

cest moi in Modesto, California said: i have a conviction and am scared ..hitless about applying for my board exam. are there any blog sites or info clearing house for poeple with prior convictions with regards lvn licensure. Does any 1 have the same issues? are there any specific convictions that they specifically frown upon? i declared my convictions and attached a copy of my expungement record but still am grrrrrrrrr.. Helllllllp!!

I have a brother that had been in and out of prison, for attempted murder. And many other things---25 years of his life he spent his life in prison. From the age of 13 he was in trouble by the law--became a herion addict. He turned his life around 10 years ago and got his Masters in Theology..He called me one day to tell me that he put in for a position to work for the State--I told him "no way will they hire you because of all you convictions" He than said to me "God has the last say" and I know that I will get the job. He has been with the state for 5 years now----there is always hope, don't be discourage. I myself had a bad record, I started to pray about my record and out of no where my record shows nothing but a traffic ticket...Prayer helps...Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

I forget to mention that I have lots of family in Modesto Ca. good luck

63 months ago

FYI I am Native American and I do know that they help to clean your record up---so if your Native anyone get a hold of a native corp.

dollface in san leandro, California

54 months ago

C'est Moi in Oakley, California said: Cheers Mates!! I was finally absolved by the enforcement unit at BVNPT after months of reviewing my convictions. As of today I am happy to say that my license has been approved. I just have to dole out that hefty 120.00 check to them again for wasting my time b4 they can finally send my Tajetas. Good Luck Y'all. Now am off to go mess with the RN board. See y'all there.

Congrats on the license...hi, this is mrsdollface@gmail.com I have been following your comments about having convictions and not sure if you would be able to be licensed.. I am so glad that your license has been approved but I wanted to know if you can answer a question for me..."what were the convictions that you had and were worried about" if you dont want to post it on here ,PLEASE email me at mrsdollface@gmail.com I have commented on here but cant seem to get a clear answer..can you please email me and tell me the convictions you had that you were worried about..i will not disclose the email that you send me to anyone..

bombay in Reno, Nevada

52 months ago

Hey guy I lost your number. I'm happy that your doing the Rn program now. What school did you get you lvn again?

c'est moi in Salinas, California

52 months ago

Lynwood Vocational. in Lynwood, Ca. SoCal.

JesusShaktiLove in Fontana, California

47 months ago

Dear fellows,

I finished up my 1st week of LVN school and I am by far loving every minute of it. I do have a concern though, I have 2 misdemeanors that are dismissed and 1 that is pending, b/c I'm still paying a fine for it and after I pay it I can get it "Motion to set aside" (similar to expunge). In addition, I have to go to court for traffic tickets and talk to the judge to grant me community service. Anyway, I spoke to BVNPT - Enforcement Unit and they said its all reviewed case by case.

Prior starting school, I checked around differ schools and American Career College was 1 of them, they told me that I had to tell them if I had any misdemeanors and/or convictions. Anyway, they ran by background and they said that nothing came up and they had to reconfirm with me where the misdemeanors occurred...not sure how this is possible.

I will become an LVN and eventually an RN. I hope that any of you whom wants to be a nurse doesnt become discouraged, b/c you have to fight for what you truly want and pray about it. So, please pray for me that all goes well. And those of you who've made mistakes and in result with prior convictions. Please share your story, b/c anyone, such as myself, who is worried would like to know youre story.

Thanks,

Shakti

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JAMES in Glendale, California

38 months ago

so,the eart's poor and pitty angels should be "NURSES."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MC in Manteca, California

34 months ago

smsanchez4@yahoo.com in Riverside, California said: I have a brother that had been in and out of prison, for attempted murder. And many other things---25 years of his life he spent his life in prison. From the age of 13 he was in trouble by the law--became a herion addict. He turned his life around 10 years ago and got his Masters in Theology..He called me one day to tell me that he put in for a position to work for the State--I told him "no way will they hire you because of all you convictions" He than said to me "God has the last say" and I know that I will get the job. He has been with the state for 5 years now----there is always hope, don't be discourage. I myself had a bad record, I started to pray about my record and out of no where my record shows nothing but a traffic ticket...Prayer helps...Good luck

I've been doing countless research about a similar position. I had my misdemeanor expunged last year and the boards granted me my License as LVN. Even though I had it expunged, got my license, and all that, I am still unsure about landing this job that was offered to me. They still have to do a background check and its gonna take a week and the DON said he is going to make the formal job offer then. After coming across this thread, and your comment specifically, it was as if a ton of weight has been lifted off of my shoulder, even though I didn't get the call yet. I don't know who or your brother are, but for some reason it's changed everything about what I'm thinking, and what I'm dobutful and scared of. That's amazing how your brother turned his life around, got a job in the State, and about your record as well. God truly is amazing, isn't he? In the end he WILL grant us happiness. I hope you and your brother are doing well. God Bless.

Csmroberts in San Jose, California

28 months ago

I am so frustrated!!!! It has been 7 years with nothing for me. I was in and of juvenile hall, group homes and jail from the age of 12 to 19. At 19 1/2 i got my last big charge. 10 total charges 6 mis, 4 fel in 1 1/2 years. I did almost a year in county and year impatient rehab. My charges were forgery, grand theft, and possession of stolen property. This was all related to a wild crazzy teenage meth addiction stringing from a severley broken home life. during imcarceration, rehab and so forth i am a completley changed person. I am a strong mother of 2 beautiful smart children. Like i said, not a thing i have done wrong in 7 years. Ive held several respectible jobs, luckily with having these felonies hanging over me. I just went to court and have had everything expunged. I am 26 and am sufforcating!! I want, NEED, to start on a career path and i have been looking into nursing and have this strong calling as to this is what i really want to do. this career is worth doing all the school for, if the BON will give me a license?
any advice is welcome, especially a sucess story:) thanks!

Csmroberts in San Jose, California

28 months ago

I am so frustrated!!!! It has been 7 years with nothing for me. I was in and of juvenile hall, group homes and jail from the age of 12 to 19. At 19 1/2 i got my last big charge. 10 total charges 6 mis, 4 fel in 1 1/2 years. I did almost a year in county and year impatient rehab. My charges were forgery, grand theft, and possession of stolen property. This was all related to a wild crazzy teenage meth addiction stringing from a severley broken home life. during imcarceration, rehab and so forth i am a completley changed person. I am a strong mother of 2 beautiful smart children. Like i said, not a thing i have done wrong in 7 years. Ive held several respectible jobs, luckily with having these felonies hanging over me. I just went to court and have had everything expunged. I am 26 and am sufforcating!! I want, NEED, to start on a career path and i have been looking into nursing and have this strong calling as to this is what i really want to do. this career is worth doing all the school for, if the BON will give me a license?
any advice is welcome, especially a sucess story:) thanks!

anonymous in Mccalla, Alabama

14 months ago

I just wanted to share my story to maybe shed some light or hope to people in the same situation I was in many years ago:
I have been a licensed registered nurse for 4 years. 3 of those 4 years I was employed. The last year I havent been employed as a RN because I managed to gain the capital to invest in real estate, which was my whole purpose for becoming an RN. That and to help people. I admitted to the board I had a drinking problem. My sobriety date is Dec 11 2006. Yes about 7 years ago. I have thefts on my record from when I was a drunk. SEVERAL. These are crimes of moral turpitude. I was %100 honest about everything with the board(I live in THE toughest state to get licensed with priors. WE HAVE NO EXPUNGEMENTS NOT EVEN FOR ARRESTS THAT NEVER LEAD TO CONVICTIONS) Well I graduated in 2009 May. I had to fight my case with the state board and it took 7-8months of showing up at hearings, to finally get them to allow me to practice on a probationary period. I got sober in 2006 went and got my RN degree. I ended up in school on an academic scholorship. I am in who's who of American College Students. Deans List. ALL THAT MADE NO DIFFERENCE! I remember not knowing whether or not I could even get a license and going to several police stations to get certified copies of my background report and being repeatedly told that I would never get licensed. You will go on forums such as these looking for hope only to find people that say you are a bad person and you should never be given a second chance at life. Dont listen to the naysayers. Persevere, continue to wake up every day and be THE BEST HUMAN BEING THAT YOU CAN BE! Even do good to the naysayers, because it is us that possess the ability to eventually change their minds and inspire them. I am an RN today not on probation. My field has been in psych working with adults with substance abuse problems. If you have a similar background I dont want to say it is easy. So be prepared for heartache! but it can happen.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.