Why acute hospital don,t need lvns anymore

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Annie in Long Beach, California

86 months ago

I have been lvn for 20yrs,I was laid off because of downsizing.I have always worked in an acute hosp.I send my resume to lots of hosp I don,t get response,I get many response from homehealth or skill nursing faculitys.When I go on the internet I see lots of Rn positions.Am I the only one to think the hosp. trying to squeeze out the lvns.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

katherine blackwell in San Bernardino, California

62 months ago

Annie in Long Beach, California said: I have been lvn for 20yrs,I was laid off because of downsizing.I have always worked in an acute hosp.I send my resume to lots of hosp I don,t get response,I get many response from homehealth or skill nursing faculitys.When I go on the internet I see lots of Rn positions.Am I the only one to think the hosp. trying to squeeze out the lvns.

all acute hospitals try an all r.n. staff at some point but they can not afford it, they will all go back to having l.v.n.s

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lynn in Weed, California

59 months ago

I've been an LVN for 35 years, have worked in acute care,an outpatient clinic with a large HMO for 20 yrs and now after a move to rural Northern California and at the end of my career, I am working part time in a SNF/Rehab center.
My move was prompted by a "fazing out" of LVN's from acute hospitals..to obtain an all acute care RN staff, they offered retirement packages to those who qualified in the out-patient setting, to make way for the LVN's in acute care who were reassigned- I took it (the package) and have no regrets, but in all my years, I have never worked so hard as I am now. SNF's are not for sissies! The staffing levels (50:1 NOC shift),pay and lack of basic supplies are challenging to say the least.With the lack of options in the industry (both hospitals in the area are RN only) I feel stuck, & tired. Still need to work another 4 or 5 years, am hoping the pendulum swings back again so that LVN's are valued for the education, compassion and nursing skills that we bring to the health care setting. Thanks for listening, Lynn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

katherine blackwell in San Bernardino, California

59 months ago

i am i the same situation, I have worked 30 years in the acute setting, mostly E.R. I do not believe that the acute hospitals can afford an all R.N. staff for long they have tied this before and always fail, I just hope this will not take very long for them to realize that it still will not work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mrs. Davis in Tyler, Texas

51 months ago

I am noticing the same trend here in the town I live in. I am working towards a RN degree, but was going to attempt LVN. But if I cannot find a job here then I will keep going for RN. Most of the LVN's are going to be, or have been fazed out here. Only options are Home Health or clinics. At my school there are alot of LVN's thre scrambling to get their RN done just to keep a job. Which sucks considering the time and effort many of these LVN's have put inot their jobs. I hope it gets better for the LVN's soon. Because in my opinion they are the ones who do THE MOST PATIENT care (Hands On).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

tammyLVN in Murrieta, California

51 months ago

Annie in Long Beach, California said: I have been lvn for 20yrs,I was laid off because of downsizing.I have always worked in an acute hosp.I send my resume to lots of hosp I don,t get response,I get many response from homehealth or skill nursing faculitys.When I go on the internet I see lots of Rn positions.Am I the only one to think the hosp. trying to squeeze out the lvns.

Hi Annie Tammy in Murrieta ca well their not trying it's happening no more LVN's in acute care. it seems you must be an RN to be considered a nurse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Hi yup i'm in the same situation i'm a new grad or 2years, all of my 30yrs experience as a cna is in acute care means nothing, decided to go back to school and now i wish i never got my license. no one will hire me as a LVN or cna dont have that 1 year acute care experience as a LVN, and i mus work to my highest degree, so my delihma hospitals are not hire, what to do? i can't afford to go back to school now it's just me and my son so now as i apply for food stamps and mdical crying has been my pass time. i have never been without work and i used to take so much pride in being well trained, wiiling to learn. The jokes on me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Eric Butler in Dallas, Texas

51 months ago

American Physician Housecalls (APH) is a Dallas-based multi-specialty practice is currently on the market for a high energy, very motivated LVN

Acute Care LVN

KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION AND SKILLS REQUIREMENT:

o Current and unencumbered state license to practice as a LVN
o Perform continuing education as required by APH and State licensing: Company requirement to complete 2 CEU/quarter for Acute Care settings and BNE requirement as per license requirement. LVN must provide proof of completion for HR file.
o Performing accurate, legal, and ethical documentation
o Strong organizational and time management skills
o Effective communication skills, verbal and written, with emphasis on conflict resolution and problem solving
o Must demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively with all members of the collaborative healthcare team
o Forecast needs; set priorities; manage case load
o Computer proficiency
o Effective communication skills, verbal and written, with emphasis on conflict resolution and problem solving
o Must have experience in hospital setting and any medical office, home health experience or LTAC/SNF is a plus.
o Knowledge of HIPPA regulations
o Must maintain a valid Basic Life Support Certification (CPR)
o
APH was founded on the principle that prompt, high quality medical care delivered in the home is more desirable and less expensive than hospital based options, our medical practice is utilizing the latest medical technology to change not only how medicine is practiced, but where medicine is practiced.
For more information, please contact

Eric Butler
Director of Professional Recruitment & Development
American Physician Housecalls
3100 McKinnon St. (4th floor)
Dallas, Texas 75201
eric@aphousecalls.com
www.aphousecalls.com
Blog - www.aphousecalls.wordpress.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

cecilyb7gmail.com in Santa Barbara, California

51 months ago

Hi I graduated in 1983 from an LVN program our instructor told us there would always be work for LVNS but I have not had a permanent job in two years. Cottahge Hospital owns everthing here in Santa Barbara and does not hire LVNS period. The clinics use MAS. I absolutley agree with you the Rns are squeezing us out of acute care.I have sent out over twenty resumes with no response sometimes I think we have been aged out too.
so the only place to go is temp. work good luck.
Cecily

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

cecilyb7gmail.com in Santa Barbara, California said: Hi I graduated in 1983 from an LVN program our instructor told us there would always be work for LVNS but I have not had a permanent job in two years. Cottahge Hospital owns everthing here in Santa Barbara and does not hire LVNS period. The clinics use MAS. I absolutley agree with you the Rns are squeezing us out of acute care.I have sent out over twenty resumes with no response sometimes I think we have been aged out too.
so the only place to go is temp. work good luck.
Cecily

yah your right, here in riverside county maxim is pretty much the main hiring force and you must have 1 yr. experience in acute care how funny is that. it seems like this should be breaking some kind of law. the lvn schools are charging 18 to 23 thousand dollars for your education now i owe 20000 dollars on something i cant even use.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Malou in Santa Barbara, California

47 months ago

Im currently working at cottage as an LVN and I'm very grateful that Im still in the system. It's sad that LVN are being discriminated between RN's and to some patient families too. I think all nurses should be honored with same the respect. LVN's are great nurses and they work as good or even better than RN's I'm saying saying not to be bias but from my experience most of the time doctors, pt's and their families mistaken me as an RN and several times the doctor made a comment that I should me doing charge nurse since I'm very good in what I'm doing but of course a praise is just praise but the reality is LVN can never be a charge nurse especially in the hospital. I just finished all my pre- requisite for ADN and hoping to start the program soon. I know from my heart that I have a good foundation in nursing because of my LVN exprerience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

sunmohn in San Diego, California

26 months ago

Sorry to say, but before you sign on the dotted line...ADN programs are being phased out as well. You need your BSN or MSN to get into a hospital setting these days. It is a cyclical thing, eventually they will go back to hiring LVNs again. But, as it stands now you are hired in a clinic or Doctors office setting only, and who knows how long that will last. Get your degrees, for now, this is the new health care. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

26 months ago

It's hard to believe anyone in nursing is having any kind of a problem finding a job. The media and the schools say the need for nurses is so great, that anyone can get a job. I've heard that a nurse can go anywhere and name their price and what shift they want for a job. The schools back this up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dawn LVN in Dallas, Texas

26 months ago

Hello everyone I just ran across this site. I have been an LVN since 1977(35y. I recently came back from working in the VA system(VETPRO for the last 10 mos. in California. I started job hunting here in Dallas the middle of May with very little opportunity from the many applications I sent thru the internet. I have even made a point of trying to do it in person if possible. I can understand the thought of all RN staffing as medicine is getting much more involved for the nurse. It also allows the Hospitals to have the "Gold Standard" employing all RN(Magnate is what they strive for. The ADN(RN) is having,or will, as much trouble as we do. Many hospitals require the BSN to be employed. It is hard for LVN's to branch out in other fields. We have to get the "experience" In an above job offer for "American Physician Housecalls (APH). You have to learn how to Pt care on the phone. Home health is a plus in this job. I applied with Eric with a very nice interview but had no phone experience. He was kind enough to let me know that someone applied did. This is something I would love to do but would like some advice on how to be able to get that phone experience. I was very taken with all that interviewed me on this job as they made me very comfortable. These are the kinds of branching out we as LVN's can do in the future..Working in Home health so many yrs I did basically all the things required for this job in coordinating Care with all involved. I just need to put it all together by working at a computer doing it all. As they are taking away the LVN's from the hospital they saturate all jobs we can apply for which makes it very difficult. We are going to see a much worse time as the ADN RN's are now having the same problem. Many can't and won't go back to school due to age, time out of school,money so we as LVN's will have company in our job hunting. It is a scarey world out there so I wish all you well in search of possibilities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deanna in Oxnard, California

26 months ago

I have been a LVN for over 20 years doing gereatrics and additional 10 years of hospice yet finding the jobs are a job in itself. Never thought it would be so hard didn't want the RN role because i enjoy the hands on role of being the nurse but the opportunities are few that is what I just don't understand

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

phair in Lancaster, California

20 months ago

yes they seem to be doing this.. i am a lvn for over 28 yrs and im a damn good nurse..im in lancaster, ca and i cant get in the doors. been gone from ca for 7 yrs and came back, been out of work about a year with the endorsement boards in sacremento,ca. this sucks and im frustrated, really am.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cecilyb7@gmail.com in Santa Barbara, California

20 months ago

Hi Its true LVN have been squeezed out of Acute Hospitals . I am a good Nurse to my patients all loved me. Now I have to find my own work. They use LVNS in Nursing Homes but due to the massive amount of paperwork there its not the kind of Nursing I wanted
to study Nursing for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

camp65 in Royse City, Texas

9 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: It's hard to believe anyone in nursing is having any kind of a problem finding a job. The media and the schools say the need for nurses is so great, that anyone can get a job. I've heard that a nurse can go anywhere and name their price and what shift they want for a job. The schools back this up.

Its the schools that spred this lie to get students to pay thousands of dollars to enter a field that is saturated with new nurses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.