Dallas Nursing Institute

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 192)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Brodyz Momma in Garland, Texas

63 months ago

I am interested in starting at Dallas Nursing Institute in August, taking the night/weekend program. I'm really interested in finding out what the course load is like, how the each of the quarters are split, how are clinicals....all the good stuff the school won't tell you. I am a Medical Assistant now trying to advance my career, and this school seems like the best fit for me. I've researched Concorde and Platt and there is NO way that I can go to any of the community colleges. I would just hate to get into this program and 6, 7 months later, I'm burned out and failing. If ANYONE can offer any advise, knowlegde, or personal experiences, I would greatly appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (133) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

amber in Rowlett, Texas

63 months ago

I am also looking at DNI nite/wknd in Aug. I have just called as I thought of a specific question and they were pretty helpful. I was considering April but chickened out--but when I asked they told me the dates for the 4 quarters. I just called today and asked the same thing for the Aug class, and they didn't have it planned out yet, at least it wasn't in the computer.
They also have a refund policy if you bail early, you will get some of the money back depending on when you quit. Apparently it is in the student handbook, which I don't think they will give out unless you sign up, but you can go in and read it.
It is 5:30-10:30 2 nights a week and 7a to 8p Saturdays. The first quarter you do clinicals at their place, with equipment, and the second quarter you start going to different metroplex locations that you can sign up for. During this time, you can sign up for evening clinicals instead of the long Saturday if they are available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Kacee

63 months ago

I'm also planning to start in August. I'm really excited but but nervous about the cost. I hope that I can afford the payments after financial aid. I really don't know what to expect. I have a meeting witn admissions in June, where I have to put down $500 to sign the contract! I hope it works out. I really want to go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

amber in Rowlett, Texas

63 months ago

Go with a list of questions. I want to make sure I know the refund policy. Not to plan for failure or anything, but stuff happens. I work more than full time now anyway, and can't afford to "quit my day job". I worry that the company might send me somewhere on business and I will miss class. They let you miss 36 hours per quarter, then you're out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

no name in Dallas, Texas

59 months ago

I would advise you ALL to go to Dallas Nursing Institute reviews on yahoo and read the comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

REGRETFULL CURRENT DNI student

59 months ago

I attend DNI now. I hate that I didnt do my research on the school before I actully attended. They preach about being professional and trust me, they are not professional. Really, Yelling at instructors at clinical sites and then getting attitudes with the students. If you know a DNI student ask them to tell you what they really think of DNI (all bullaside).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

T Henry in Duncanville, Texas

58 months ago

I took my NET last week. I have an appointment today to discuss my enrollment for Nov 2009. Is it a pretty good school otherwise? I can deal with the BS if I'm getting the knowledge and skills I need to pass the State Board exam. Can anyone who is presently enrolled give me some feedback?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Fran in Dallas, Texas

55 months ago

OMG guys, do not attend this school. They were once called North Tx Prof Career Institute, somnething else before that. If only I would have checked 1st before I wasted my money that I now owe.

I went for the Medical Billing and Coding program ( when they were located on Maple ). They had us all thinking that we would manually look up the codes in books. YEAH RIGHT!! They were suppose to have taught us medical billing software but didnt. We COMPLETELY finished the course and attempted to go on an internship. The very 1st question asked by the interviewer was the type of software used in training. After discovering we hadn't been trained on any we were told that no office would have time to teach us software from scratch.

The instructors and personnel ( of course ) knew all along that we weren't being prepared for success. I was then told that I owed an additional $200 for something ( cant remember what ). I refused to pay and began to question why we werent taught software in our training. Needless to say I was considered a drop out even though I completed all my classwork.

DO NOT ATTEND THIS SCHOOL. They may only concentrate on nursing now but you'd better believe there is something that they're leaving out of the curriculum so they can pocket the cash ( that would go to paying an instructor and the necessary supplies). One of their admissions reps quit because she got tired of watching them take advantage and rip off so many people that were trying to turn their lives around.

Don't waste your time or money attending this school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

LovingDNICurrent in Plano, Texas

54 months ago

DNI is a lot different than it use to be. If you don't like DNI, I doubt you will like any other nursing school or being a nurse. Many people will try to trample on you as a nurse, including the family members of your patients. I am thoroughly enjoying my experience at DNI. I have learned that we are a bit more trained than our surrounding counterparts.

DNI is NOT the school it use to be. This is becoming one of the best schools in Dallas.

FYI - El Centro teachers have been hollering at students for years. They are among the best. The majority of the teachers are AWESOME!!!!! I mean A w e s o m e! If you go to a school and find that there are no issues, you tell me.

Thanks! Soon to be nurse with a smile on my face while many sit back and complain - Aug 2010! Woohoooo!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

CurrentDNIStudent in Mesquite, Texas

54 months ago

I have to agree with the above comments. I just started the LVN program on Feb 1st and I am LOVING it so far! The professors we have had are great, go into detail with lectures. Now it is only my 3rd week but we have already had a test, had 2 check offs, and I am doing well. You have to be serious about this program to make it work for you. But get real people we are ADULTS they are not going to hand everything to you on a silver platter! U can not expect an easy time in school if you want to be a NURSE we are talking about peoples LIVES!!!!
DNI staff has been great so far, explaining things and working on my financial aid and grants stuff i have not touched in 15 years!
I am excited about my future and wish everyone good luck just dont knock a program unless you are serious about making a commitment..we are not in kindergarten anymore!
Soon to be Nurse! June 2011!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

good things about dni grads in Arlington, Texas

54 months ago

Hi guys I am an RN and director of nursing in Collin County for 4 years. I have hired several DNI grads and can not say enough good things about them. I've found them to be very professional and prepared for the real world of nursing. I am so impressed my daughter will be attending the information session on the 25th. She is a senior this year. Good luck to all of you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No Reply - Report abuse

April in Fort Worth, Texas

53 months ago

LovingDNICurrent in Plano, Texas said: DNI is a lot different than it use to be. If you don't like DNI, I doubt you will like any other nursing school or being a nurse. Many people will try to trample on you as a nurse, including the family members of your patients. I am thoroughly enjoying my experience at DNI. I have learned that we are a bit more trained than our surrounding counterparts.

DNI is NOT the school it use to be. This is becoming one of the best schools in Dallas.

FYI - El Centro teachers have been hollering at students for years. They are among the best. The majority of the teachers are AWESOME!!!!! I mean A w e s o m e! If you go to a school and find that there are no issues, you tell me.

Thanks! Soon to be nurse with a smile on my face while many sit back and complain - Aug 2010! Woohoooo!!

I am looking into going to DNI could you please talk to me about it a little more? amcalpin0@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fran in Dallas, Texas

53 months ago

Like I commented before, check their curriculum and class listings with other area nursing schools. Back when they were North Tx Prof Career Institute and teaching Medical Billing/Coding, they didnt teach any software and totally led students into thinking the codes are manually done via a particular coding book. NOT TRUE!! Each doctor's office has a list of codes already researched that are added to medical statements by Medisoft ( or whichever computer software program is used by that particular physician ). We didnt discover the deception til we had already gone out to intern and was turned away from several because we weren't taught medical software.

Dont be taken in by Glenda and Greg, the husband/wife team that owns the school. DO SOME INVESTIGATING BEFORE YOU COMMIT YOUR TIME AND GRANT/LOAN MONEY TO THESE PEOPLE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

patty in Dallas, Texas

53 months ago

thank you so much for that info,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lindsey Darr in Arlington, Texas

53 months ago

Does anybody know how much this program cost??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lindsey in Arlington, Texas

53 months ago

Im sorry how much does the LNV program cost at DNI?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

KAT in Arlington, Texas

52 months ago

Lindsey in Arlington, Texas said: Im sorry how much does the LNV program cost at DNI?

$26,000

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nate in Garland, Texas

52 months ago

i jus passed the hesi test and made great score for the lvn program and its 26,000 how much is the R.N program cost? i would like to get my moneys worth if im going to pay alot for it with all the finacial stuff is confusing to me. so please help me choose the best program at this school my email is narmonta@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shan in Euless, Texas

51 months ago

I know that after graduating from Dallas Nursing Institute (Lvn) you will not be IV certified,but will you at least be able to administer injections to patients?

shan in Euless, Texas

51 months ago

KAT in Arlington, Texas said: $26,000

HEllo,
I know that after graduating from Dallas Nursing Institute (Lvn) you will not be IV certified,but will you at least be able to administer injections to patients?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

swilliams in Irving, Texas

51 months ago

When is externships/internships? How long is internship/externship?

Angellee in Tampa, Florida

51 months ago

KAT in Arlington, Texas said: $26,000

Wow! Too expensive! The job market isn't very good for LPN's. Be careful before you go into debt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KAT in Arlington, Texas

51 months ago

Angellee in Tampa, Florida said: Wow! Too expensive! The job market isn't very good for LPN's. Be careful before you go into debt.

I agree. I paid $18,000 5 years ago. It was well worth it to me. Never regretted it. Job market for LVNs in DFW Texas is still good. However new LVN schools keeping popping up so there may be higher competition for inexperienced grads. But regardless, if one is willing to work for a while in a not so desirable place there are jobs out there.

51 months ago

Thankyou very much. I was wondering usually when LVNs first graduate how much is there starting pay?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

I actually will be attending Dallas Nursing institue on Abrams May 25th, expected last day of school Sept 29th. Would I have to go to Austin to take The State Board Test or can I take it locally in Texas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

The total cost for this LPN program is around $4,200:

erwin.edu/CourseDetail.aspx?CourseId=124

You should try to find a program like that in your area.

The total cost of this Associate's Degree R.N. program is $7,000:

www.hccfl.edu/departments/health-science/nursing.aspx

I just don't understand why this school is charging $26,000 when someone can become a R.N. for only $7,000 at a well respected community college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fran in Dallas, Texas

51 months ago

They're charging so much money because they're a rip off. I'm telling you guys, they totally led my classmates and I to think that once we became medical billers we would sat at a desk all day manually deciphering codes ( from a Medical Codes book ). Once we got out on our internship we were all told that since we WERE NOT TAUGHT ANY BILLING SOFTWARE no medical office would be able to accept us ( as interns )because they weren't able to start from scratch teaching us software. They wanted to know why NTPCI didn't teach us any.

I've advised all of you to PLEASE COMPARE their nursing curriculum to those at other institutes, and I really hope yall heed my warning. I don't want you guys stuck with a $13,000 student loan and nothing to show for it like I have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PrettyNurse in Fort Worth, Texas

51 months ago

I just passed the Hesi for the LVN program in April. I am weary because I just cannot understand why it cost 26,000 dollars, when there are programs between 5,000-8,000 in the surrounding area, like where is this money going. I hear there are computer clinicals where you have to sit at a computer and do clinicals. Someone who knows for sure what is going on, please blog or say something....I believe they(the school) knows that there is a problem with alot of people getting into Nursing School, they know people are desperate and they are taking advantage because 26,000...why not even 15000, because you have used up all loans and grants and u still coming out of pocket, okay if the government says i shouldnt have to pay anything EFC 0, then why am I paying 200 a month to go to school...i'm just asking..gosh...Im planning on movinge back home and doing an lvn program it's only 4,500.

51 months ago

Omg, never accept computer based clinicals! I seriously doubt an employer will. I don't see how you could do your job properly without real patient contact during clinicals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KAT in Arlington, Texas

51 months ago

Actually $26,000 for DNI is comparable to other private LVN schools such as Concorde or Platt. You will only pay $5,000-8,000 if you attend a public college around here. I live in Tarrant county and there were no public LVN programs in our county and only 1 ADN program for a hugely dense population. So you can imagine the competition....

The way these schools price their tuition is based on the max amount of money that can be received for federal student loans and grants. For the students that don't qualify for grants, they are given other financing options to pay the remainder of the tuition. This is how the schools make big $$$. The tuition usually rises every time the government raises the amount of student loans.

I personally think the tuition rates are out of control and the part of the reason I chose to attend a pricey LVN school was because I had my tuition paid by my parents. I'm not sure if I could have stomached the $18,000 tuition. That being said, I am grateful I had that option because I became an LVN in about a year time. No prereq's required, multiple job offers before I even had a license, making $40,000+/yr right away. You pay for the convenience of no wait or prereq's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

KAT in Arlington, Texas

51 months ago

PrettyNurse in Fort Worth, Texas said: I just passed the Hesi for the LVN program in April. I am weary because I just cannot understand why it cost 26,000 dollars, when there are programs between 5,000-8,000 in the surrounding area, like where is this money going. I hear there are computer clinicals where you have to sit at a computer and do clinicals. Someone who knows for sure what is going on, please blog or say something....I believe they(the school) knows that there is a problem with alot of people getting into Nursing School, they know people are desperate and they are taking advantage because 26,000...why not even 15000, because you have used up all loans and grants and u still coming out of pocket, okay if the government says i shouldnt have to pay anything EFC 0, then why am I paying 200 a month to go to school...i'm just asking..gosh...Im planning on movinge back home and doing an lvn program it's only 4,500.

Look into Texas Workforce Commission. Some people are eligible to get paid tuition by the state to complete a vocational program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KAT in Arlington, Texas

51 months ago

swilliams in Irving, Texas said: I actually will be attending Dallas Nursing institue on Abrams May 25th, expected last day of school Sept 29th. Would I have to go to Austin to take The State Board Test or can I take it locally in Texas.

The NCLEX is done on the computer and you can schedule a date at a local place once you get authorization to test. I think I did mine at a Sylvan learning center. How are you graduating in Sept. if you are starting in May?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

KAT...that's great money for an LPN. Here in Florida, it's extremely difficult to even find a job as an LPN without at least one year of experience(the only jobs are in nursing homes). Our hospitals won't hire LPN's here.

PrettyNurse in Fort Worth, Texas

51 months ago

I took the Hesi in April, i am supposedly entering for June 28 and I will be out in 13 months ( i was told), so maybe julish..b...but i'm just asking..thanks for the Advice...Oh i just realized u weren't talking to me..MY BADDDDDD!...and how do you get IV Certified?????

shaila green lvn in Irving, Texas

51 months ago

Fran in Dallas, Texas said: They're charging so much money because they're a rip off. I'm telling you guys, they totally led my classmates and I to think that once we became medical billers we would sat at a desk all day manually deciphering codes ( from a Medical Codes book ). Once we got out on our internship we were all told that since we WERE NOT TAUGHT ANY BILLING SOFTWARE no medical office would be able to accept us ( as interns )because they weren't able to start from scratch teaching us software. They wanted to know why NTPCI didn't teach us any.

I've advised all of you to PLEASE COMPARE their nursing curriculum to those at other institutes, and I really hope yall heed my warning. I don't want you guys stuck with a $13,000 student loan and nothing to show for it like I have.

medical billing and coding is a rip off in ALL trade schools you have to go to college

Fran in Dallas, Texas

51 months ago

I'm genuinely trying to help people avoid being ripped off by this school. My choice to 1st attend a trade school is beside the point. But thank you for that total DUHHH!! moment. I've been having the same conversation with my kids for the past 3 years. Finally got thru to them. One plans to be a photographer and the other a journalist.

Good luck to all of you aspiring to be a nurse. Needles make me totally squeamish. So glad you guys have nerves of steel.

Successfuldnistudent

51 months ago

Why are there posts on this about medical billing lol. They don't even do medical billing anymore and this school has been bought out by ATI and is among the best in the DFW. Why do people talk folks out of success because they were afraid. So sad.

SERCHING FOR A ADN PROGRAM in Nacogdoches, Texas

50 months ago

I AM NOW AT SFA I AM SEEKING TO DO A 2 YR NURSING PROGRAM I AM LOOKING AT DNI....WHAT OTHER SCHOOLS WOULD YOU RECOMMEND

SERCHING FOR A ADN PROGRAM in Nacogdoches, Texas

50 months ago

good things about dni grads in Arlington, Texas said: Hi guys I am an RN and director of nursing in Collin County for 4 years. I have hired several DNI grads and can not say enough good things about them. I've found them to be very professional and prepared for the real world of nursing. I am so impressed my daughter will be attending the information session on the 25th. She is a senior this year. Good luck to all of you.

WHAT SCHOOL DID YOU ATTEND? WHAT IS THE BEST PROGRAM?

boondox in Dallas, Texas

50 months ago

Question....If an LPN wanted to do an LPN to RN bridge program, would in matter if the person's LPN education was from a community college vs a private "career" type of school(like DNI)? I am concerned the credits from the private career school might not transfer.Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

boondox...I think you would need to contact the particular college that you would like to use as a bridge program. That's a very valid concern! I know that some schools have articulation agreements with others schools. I would never want to get stuck as an LPN if I decided to further my education. I'm not an LPN right now, but I'm considering going to school for it next year. I found a program I can do mostly online!!! Well, except for clinicals, but they schedule those in the evening so that you can still have a full time job. I think they have an articulation agreement with a local community college. I'm going to look into it.

boondox in Dallas, Texas

50 months ago

Thanks Angellee. If anyone has run into this problem or has any additional info I would appreciate it. Seems like I read somewhere that credits from these "career schools" do not always transfer to programs at univerities or even community colleges.

KAT in Arlington, Texas

50 months ago

boondox in Dallas, Texas said: Thanks Angellee. If anyone has run into this problem or has any additional info I would appreciate it. Seems like I read somewhere that credits from these "career schools" do not always transfer to programs at univerities or even community colleges.

You don't earn college credits if you attend a diploma program through a career school. So there is no way they are equivalent. For instance, in my 1 year LVN program at a career college we spent the first quarter of the program on nursing skills lab and the "non nursing" courses like A&P, Nutrition, Human Growth and Development. They are a basic and condensed version of what you would receive in a regular college as your nursing prerequisites. In regular college,each one of those non nursing classes lasts an entire semester and are way more in depth than what you learn at a career college.

What you must know is that an LVN is a LVN, no matter what school you attended. You get credit for your nursing courses and your LVN license. Universities and community colleges don't care where you got your LVN education as long as you have all the prereqs fufilled. I know this can be confusing, because I had the same questions when I started out. If you are still unsure, contact local LVN-RN bridge programs and ask them. I've been in nursing for several years and I know many LVNs who went to career colleges who bridged to RN.

OK just needed to clear that up since it has been asked many times on recent posts....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nancee in Dallas, Texas

50 months ago

I graduated from DNI LVN. Someone asked about the cost of the RN bridge program. It was $13K the last time I checked on it there. No, the courses do not transfer to public universities, but you have a license, so that isn't an issue. To do an RN bridge program at a career college, you will have to go to community college to do your core courses first before you will be admitted to the program, which are really what you want to transfer anyway. You won't get them at DNI. The plus to career schools...LVN was no wait, and no pre-reqs. Negative...it is a for profit, fill the seats, move em out program. It is fast paced, and not an easy program. That is what career colleges are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

toi 29 in Dallas, Texas

49 months ago

Thanks so much for the comments from you guys on this site.. I've been looking around for info on DNI.. Does anyone know about the admission process? And has anyone taken the HESI Math part of the exam? I would like to know how hard the math is... And because I'm without a job now and receiving UI money does anyone know if I'm going to be required to pay anything per month for this school? I have a appointment next week to meet with a rep... I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing with my time and money.

49 months ago

Really Congrats!! I actually are attending now. I started may 25, 2010. How did you get pass A& P. I have Dr. Brown. He doesn't explain anything you pretty much have to read the book.

tanisha in Killeen, Texas

49 months ago

How is the hesi test at dni.

Laura in Phoenix, Arizona

49 months ago

DNI GRAD in Forney, Texas said: I graduated from DNI in June 2010. I think that it is a very good school! Yes it is expensive but that is because there is no waiting list, you do not need pre-reqs, & it is a private school. As we all know you have to pay for taking short cuts. Also the only clinicals that are online are OB/GYN & Ped's, Although some students go to the hospital for these clinicals. And yes there is a monthly payment option. Honestly if you have the time to take your basics and wait to get in a program then why wouldn't you wait go somewhere cheaper if not DNI is the way to go. Also it is under new ownership.

Hi,
I am in Phoenix AZ, I am a nursing student out here at Gateway C.C. It is an ADN program that has 4 blocks or semesters (whatever you want to call them). I made it through 3 blocks. At G.C.C. you have to pass with a 76 proctored points which are just all your exams, so the extra papers and busy work don't even count unless you average a 76 on proctored points. Anyway I had a lot of personal stuff happen to me and I ended up making a 75.9 and because the NCLEX doesn't round they wouldn't either! So I was suppose to graduate at the end of this year and now that isn't going to happen. So now I am finishing up an LPN transition course and will hopefully get my LPN license soon. I am moving back to Texas in December still and I am thinking of doing the LPN (or LVN same thing) to RN at DNI. I would just like some feedback on the school and the program and how hard is it to transfer my course work that I have already done. Also does anyone know how much the fee is to transfer a LPN license that is from another compact state to Texas? I have to pay $350.00 to get my license out here in AZ and I just hope that I don't have to turn around pay another huge fee when I move to Texas. Any information would be appreciated! Thanks

htbn in Sulphur Springs, Texas

49 months ago

DNI GRAD in Forney, Texas said: I graduated from DNI in June 2010. I think that it is a very good school! Yes it is expensive but that is because there is no waiting list, you do not need pre-reqs, & it is a private school. As we all know you have to pay for taking short cuts. Also the only clinicals that are online are OB/GYN & Ped's, Although some students go to the hospital for these clinicals. And yes there is a monthly payment option. Honestly if you have the time to take your basics and wait to get in a program then why wouldn't you wait go somewhere cheaper if not DNI is the way to go. Also it is under new ownership.

i am applying for the sept class it is now july and still havent heard n e thing can u tell me when they start calling to let you know if ur in or not.

PJ in Dallas, Texas

49 months ago

LovingDNICurrent in Plano, Texas said: DNI is a lot different than it use to be. If you don't like DNI, I doubt you will like any other nursing school or being a nurse. Many people will try to trample on you as a nurse, including the family members of your patients. I am thoroughly enjoying my experience at DNI. I have learned that we are a bit more trained than our surrounding counterparts.

Aug. 2010 is just a couple of weeks away....so tell me how everything is going...hopefully good. Are you doing well?

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.