LVN school in Ft Worth?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 75)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Gina in Houston, Texas

78 months ago

I am trying to find a LVN school near Ft Worth. Anyone know of any?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (222) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Katrena in Wylie, Texas

75 months ago

Gina in Houston, Texas said: I am trying to find a LVN school near Ft Worth. Anyone know of any?

There is Concorde in Arlington which is about 40min away East

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Mansfield, Texas

72 months ago

www.bon.state.tx.us/nursingeducation/edudocs/vnschools.pdf
This link is to the Texas BON website, it is a list of all the approved vocational nursing programs in Texas. There is new program starting in Fort Worth called Universal Health Services. They are brand new, so I don't think they are eligible for federal student loans or aid yet. I would wait until they are more established. The other closest schools are Concorde in Arlington, which is NOT 40 miles away. It is directly connected to FW, as you know. There is also Weatherford College which is not too far from the west side of FW. Both these schools are established and have good reputations.

If you can spend the next 3-4 years in college and get straight A's go ahead and go to TCC for your RN. You can spend 1-2 years doing prereqs and 2 years in nursing school. It is extremely competitive to get into and not an option for many folks. I did not feel like getting my LVN was a waste of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Rose in Dallas, Texas

72 months ago

what type of pay can you expect after graduating? i know its not exact but an estimate... im wanting to enter the program soon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Yuliwannabanurse in Fort Worth, Texas

72 months ago

I am looking into Concorde Arlington to get my LVN, i moved to Fort WOrth this last summer from Denver, CO where right after highschool I went to a community college for 1 yr and got my pre-requs for the ADN program to then findout it was a 2 yr waiting list needless to say I waisted lots of time, now am 25 and still tryin to be a nurse.. any more feedback regarding the LVN program at Concorde in Arlington? ... I would like to know some info about tuition and possibly approx pay... i've been an admin for the past 5 yrs and would really be upset if after going to get my LVN am making about the same or less than now (34K, around 16.35/hr) ... please help thanks email: lindayuli@gmail.com Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Shari in Fort Worth, Texas

71 months ago

I went to Concorde and graduated in Dec. 2006. I went the evening / weekend schedule which is a 18 month program. Day program is a year. Tuition was $18,500 when I started, but heard it was around $20,000 when I graduated. I haven't started working as a nurse but LVNs make $18-$20 to start, depending on facility / shift. You can take your RN after a year if you've completed required classes (on-line). Your employer may pay for your RN classes too. I've been wanting to be a nurse since my twenties. I just turned 43. Sometimes, it's the only way to get there. If you are just interested in the pay, it's not worth it. It is hard work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

blondiegry in North Richland Hills, Texas

69 months ago

bobbi in Arlington, Texas said:

the TCC nursing course is a 2 yr program but you also have 2 yrs prerecs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Arlington, Texas

69 months ago

TCC only has an RN program which is extremely competitive to get into. It is a very good program if you can get accepted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kristin Lynch in Odessa, Texas

67 months ago

I've been reading up on this topic all day... I believe that the LPN/LVN option that Concorde offers is a great option for me, at this point in my life anyways. I believe it will be a start to get in the door. In Case you haven't noticed, the economy is going down very quickly and people aren't willing to pay even what a LVN makes these days. So, I believe it's a great option for myself and anyone trying to make a living, and having the option of continuing with our education is great!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Just Saying in Arlington, Texas

67 months ago

The program at Concorde is a good place to start but plan on going farther if you want to really make some money or pay your 20,000.00 loan plus back. Remember it's only a stepping stone and try to get through it as quick as possible b/c the tuition keeps going up every three months. When I left in Oct 2008 it was 28,000.00 so if you are interested move fast. As far as the job market it can be tough unless you dont mind working in a Nursing Home($17-20) homehealth could pay up to $30 a visit of course you have to open yourselves up to the fact of dirty homes run down neighborhoods, mileage on your car (some and I do mean some, pay mileage), gas, wear and tear on car, etc.Sometimes the home is nice but I'm just trying to be real, loads of paperwork to fill out, and meeting dead lines. Nursing is a rewarding Career but know what you're getting yourself into.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Arlington, Texas

66 months ago

New Grad in Los Angeles, California said: If you're going to go to an LVN school..dont go to Concorde which is based in North Hollywood...that school's lvn program just got shut down recently b/c of students cheating..and they still do even after it has reopened..i wouldn't trust anybody caring for me who came out of that school..it's a disgrace!!!!!!!!

That's awfully judgmental... First of all we are discussing Concorde in Arlington, TX not Hollywood, CA. They are completely different schools just managed by the same corporate company. Around here, Concorde has a good reputation and puts out many good graduates. Plus how can you base your opinion of one nurse off of what a few other students may have done? That's just silly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

LilSistah in Fort Worth, Texas

66 months ago

I too am considering Concord and also DNI LVN programs. I am about to complete my last pre-req at TCC, but the possibilty of being accepted is not looking so good. I've checked into all the local ADN programs (Weatherford, ElCentro, Mountain Viev, Brookhaven, Collin County, ect) and at one place or another I can find some reason or some class that will hold me back from getting in. I dont want to continue to waste time. Concord and DNI are very expensive and I am concerned about the costs. I am looking for some information on both programs, good and bad, and info on how they handle tuition. Is it all loans, are grants available, scholarships ect.. Do the schools actually train you well or is it all about money? And what happens with all of the classes that I have already taken, do those count for anything?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jasper72272 in Haltom City, Texas

66 months ago

Gina in Houston, Texas said: I am trying to find a LVN school near Ft Worth. Anyone know of any?

Concorde Arlington, TX

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Weatherford has an LVN program, and I think Hill College does also.
they are both about an hour away.
Concorde is close but it's $23K. I just had a tour there last week.

JefAnn76 in Fort Worth, Texas

66 months ago

Can someone tell me how the classes are at Concorde in Arlington? Like how a typical day is in the full time or part time program, where the clinicals are,and how hard is it to get in...I just visited there this weekend and want to start in November, but not sure what to expect and if I will even get in. I have applied to TCC and Weatherford's ADN programs, but no success. Thanks for any type of imformation anyone may have!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

LilSistah in Fort Worth, Texas said: I too am considering Concord and also DNI LVN programs. I am about to complete my last pre-req at TCC, but the possibilty of being accepted is not looking so good. I've checked into all the local ADN programs (Weatherford, ElCentro, Mountain Viev, Brookhaven, Collin County, ect) and at one place or another I can find some reason or some class that will hold me back from getting in. I dont want to continue to waste time. Concord and DNI are very expensive and I am concerned about the costs. I am looking for some information on both programs, good and bad, and info on how they handle tuition. Is it all loans, are grants available, scholarships ect.. Do the schools actually train you well or is it all about money? And what happens with all of the classes that I have already taken, do those count for anything?

I know you have to take the NET, but not sure what type of score or how it affects you getting in. You can take it there. I haven't done it yet. Just visited them this past weekend.I am in the same position as you are. I have completed all of my rerequit. for ADN programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Arlington, Texas

66 months ago

The uniforms are royal blue scrubs and white coats. I really cannot remember what score you need on the NET. My class started with about 50 students. I would encourage you to purchase a study guide to brush up on the math. As long as you know the equations, it's fairly easy. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Thank you so much for the info Kat!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Can someone please tell me how I can opt out of this forum, or at least make it stop sending me emails everytime someone posts a comment

66 months ago

Under "your comment" at the bottom of the page there should be a button where you can click so you don't get emails when someone posts. That's what it shows on my page...

Jefann76, Fort Worth in Spring, Texas

65 months ago

I was wondering if an LVN can get a job at a hospital in the fort Worth/ Dallas area. I am considering LVN school, but don't want to work in a doctor's office. Can someone help?

Lizzy in Houston, Texas

64 months ago

I am loking for an LVN school in Houston and Sugar Land area please help me.

Sasa in Arlington, Texas

64 months ago

There is this great school, CONCORD CAREER INSTITUTE IN ARLINGTON TX, not far from Ft Worth. Google that and get more info.

MARI in Fort Worth, Texas

63 months ago

Can someone PLEASE help me! I just graduated from highschool 2 months ago but i have no idea what to do next. I know for sure that i want to become a nurse but I dont know how to get started. Where do i start off at. I hear people talk about lvn and lpn and so many other things and it confuses me. Seriously I dont know where to start. What are the first steps to becoming an RN??

Kat in Lewisville, Texas

63 months ago

MARI in Fort Worth, Texas said: Can someone PLEASE help me! I just graduated from highschool 2 months ago but i have no idea what to do next. I know for sure that i want to become a nurse but I dont know how to get started. Where do i start off at. I hear people talk about lvn and lpn and so many other things and it confuses me. Seriously I dont know where to start. What are the first steps to becoming an RN??

To become an RN you first need to find a school that offers an RN program. Community colleges offer associate degree RN (ADN) and Universities offer bachelor degree RN (BSN). Both hold same license and do the same job, but the BSN usually has more opportunities for upper management advancement. You must complete prerequisite classes, take an entrance test and apply to a nursing program. The competition for RN programs is usually very fierce so normally a 3.6+ GPA and good test scores are required for admittance. Google Texas Board of Nursing for a list of approved programs in your area. Or check Discovernursing.com LPN/LVN is basic nurse whom normally completes a year long diploma program. It is not a prerequisite to RN, but once an LPN/LVN you can bridge easily to become an RN in the future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

MARI in Fort Worth, Texas

63 months ago

Can i first get an associates degree RN (ADN) then continue on with my education and get my bachelors degree? or are they different?

Kat in Lewisville, Texas

63 months ago

MARI in Fort Worth, Texas said: Can i first get an associates degree RN (ADN) then continue on with my education and get my bachelors degree? or are they different?

Yes. Many schools offer part time RN-BSN programs. Most of them are just a few semesters in length and you can easily work and go to school at the same time.

Meagan

63 months ago

I was told at concord you can't get in with out prior expirence in the medical field and that they want you to take the medical assisting course instead of LVN. How difficut is the the lvn course. Is it somehong you can do just from the knowledge they teach or if you are a good learner and follow material will that suffice?

CARA MENARD in North Richland Hills, Texas

62 months ago

Kat in Arlington, Texas said: I didn't find most of the material super challenging but you do receive a lot of info crammed into a short amount of time so that does make it very intense. I managed to get a 4.0 GPA overall and I've never been a straight A student before. After level one we do clinicals 2-3 fulldays a week plus classroom on the other days. You'll go to a nursing home, acute care hospital, and rehab-med/surg hospital. Concorde is not hard to get into. The main qualifying factors #1: Can you pass the NET with a high enough score? (which is not very hard at all if you are fairly intelligent and understand the English language) and #2: Can you pay for it? (such as qualifying for loans and grants).

What about Arlington Medical Institute and Everest College in Arlington? Are they accredited?

KAT in Arlington, Texas

61 months ago

CARA MENARD in North Richland Hills, Texas said: What about Arlington Medical Institute and Everest College in Arlington? Are they accredited?

Neither of those schools offer an nursing program.

RNorBurst! in Seagoville, Texas

60 months ago

Lisa in Seguin, Texas said: I worked at ConCorde Career Institute in Arlington, Texas in the Financial Aid Department. Most all students will qualify for loans. The are called Stafford Student Loans, which are automatic to any person, as long as a student has no prior default on STUDENT LOANS. If a person has defaulted before, they must clear that up. Federal Grants are also available to those who qualify. Qualifications depend on income and household size. The income will be based on the previous tax return.
I personally would not do any other program at the school besides the nursing program. Medical Assistants are having a very had time finding jobs. I hope this helps. I've recently have been thinking about becoming a nurse myself but after reading all this info. and seeing how complicated it is, I might just stick to financial aid.

I'm having the issue of defaulted student loans after being out of work for over a year, can I still qualify for grant money? I see that in Texas you all say LVN when we say LPN in Ohio. Will I be able to transfer any of my credit from other schools to Concorde and also what is the part-time night schedule ? I have a new job and its 6 am until 4:30 pm. I really want to get this rolling and stop wasting time! 18 months is not too long of a time, but will I be able to go onto LVN to RN. If anyone has any answers please feel free to email me at mstmyrick@aol.com I stumbled upon this forum! Thank You

KAT in Arlington, Texas

60 months ago

RNorBurst! in Seagoville, Texas said: I'm having the issue of defaulted student loans after being out of work for over a year, can I still qualify for grant money? I see that in Texas you all say LVN when we say LPN in Ohio. Will I be able to transfer any of my credit from other schools to Concorde and also what is the part-time night schedule ? I have a new job and its 6 am until 4:30 pm. I really want to get this rolling and stop wasting time! 18 months is not too long of a time, but will I be able to go onto LVN to RN. If anyone has any answers please feel free to email me at mstmyrick@aol.com I stumbled upon this forum! Thank You

Your credits will not transfer to other colleges. But if you wish to bridge to your RN later you will get "credit" for being an LVN. Which means (depending on the RN program) you get to enter into the 2nd year instead of starting from scratch. However, you will still have to complete all the prerequisites that are required for entry which can take about a year if you go full time. You should go ahead and make an appointment to speak with an admissions rep and finacial aid regarding the loans and grants.

lindseyjean in Fort Worth, Texas

60 months ago

Hey with all this talk about concorde i was wondering if anyone knows about the night and weekend option. is it every weekend? sat and sun? twice a week also how long. any info would help thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Mesquite, Texas

59 months ago

the night program cost is 27,439.81 as of 01-16-2010. 78 weeks/ 06pm to 10pm 2 nights per week days vary, and every other saturday and sunday 8am to 5 pm, the next class starts on 05-17-2010.
The day program cost $ 25729.81 as of 01-16-2010. 50 weeks, 8am to 600
pm.monday - friday. registration fee $ 500, tuition first year $13875.00, tuition for second year $9250.00, books and supplies $1433.00, uniforms $183.00, health screen $359.53, and tax $129.28
total cost $25729.81, the 500.00 registration fee must be paid before submitting application and registration fee is NOT included in financial aid. I have not had the tour yet, but went by there on saturday and was able to get a few answers and cost

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ahale411 in Keller, Texas

59 months ago

Yuliwannabanurse in Fort Worth, Texas said: I am looking into Concorde Arlington to get my LVN, i moved to Fort WOrth this last summer from Denver, CO where right after highschool I went to a community college for 1 yr and got my pre-requs for the ADN program to then findout it was a 2 yr waiting list needless to say I waisted lots of time, now am 25 and still tryin to be a nurse.. any more feedback regarding the LVN program at Concorde in Arlington? ... I would like to know some info about tuition and possibly approx pay... i've been an admin for the past 5 yrs and would really be upset if after going to get my LVN am making about the same or less than now (34K, around 16.35/hr) ... please help thanks email: lindayuli@gmail.com Thanks!

I am in the same situation. I have moved from Georgia about a year ago and had all of my core classes to get into the RN program, but when I went to sign up for the RN program at TCC they told me that I need to take like 4 more classes to qualify for the program. I was really upset, because that meant that I had another year on top of my coarse work. So I decided to go for my LVN because of time. I looked into Concorde and they were so expensive!!! For LVN at Weatherford they wanted like $8000.00. For the same program at Concorde was 25000.00 I am not exaggerating. So I am waiting to get in at weatherford. Good luck! I hope this helps. :)

alex in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

is medvance institute here houston approved for lvn program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

LVNNOV2010 in Arlington, Texas

58 months ago

Universal School of Vocational Education is in Fort Worth and they have a fabulous LVN program. The school is new, but fully accredited by the state board of nursing. The cost of the program is $19,500. This fee includes all of you supplies, nclex testing fees, fingerprinting for the state. The only drawback is that there is no financial aid. The program is 44 weeks, tuesday, wednesday, and thursday evening 6pm-10:30pm, and every saturday and sunday ( time of class on weekend will vary depending on clinical sites). This class is really great if you need to work while in school and it is fast paced...10 1/2 months and you are done. Hope this is helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GudGurlz01 in Arlington, Texas

58 months ago

LVNNOV2010 in Arlington, Texas said: Universal School of Vocational Education is in Fort Worth and they have a fabulous LVN program. The school is new, but fully accredited by the state board of nursing. The cost of the program is $19,500. This fee includes all of you supplies, nclex testing fees, fingerprinting for the state. The only drawback is that there is no financial aid. The program is 44 weeks, tuesday, wednesday, and thursday evening 6pm-10:30pm, and every saturday and sunday ( time of class on weekend will vary depending on clinical sites). This class is really great if you need to work while in school and it is fast paced...10 1/2 months and you are done. Hope this is helpful.

LVNNOV2010,
did you actually attend Universal School of Vocation Education? I'm asking because I'm looking at going into the Nursing field (any way I can right now) after working over 20 years of working in the personnel/administrative field. If so, what was your experience like with them. I'm also looking at Concorde Institute. I had a chance to visit with them last year and was pleasantly surprised. If it weren't for the high tuition, I would choose Concorde hands down mainly because the class schedule works better for me. Even though I have the GI Bill, I still want to maximize my dollars. Any insight you or anyone else can provided would be most graciously appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

GudGurlz01 in Arlington, Texas said: LVNNOV2010,
did you actually attend Universal School of Vocation Education? I'm asking because I'm looking at going into the Nursing field (any way I can right now) after working over 20 years of working in the personnel/administrative field. If so, what was your experience like with them. I'm also looking at Concorde Institute. I had a chance to visit with them last year and was pleasantly surprised. If it weren't for the high tuition, I would choose Concorde hands down mainly because the class schedule works better for me. Even though I have the GI Bill, I still want to maximize my dollars. Any insight you or anyone else can provided would be most graciously appreciated.

I apologize for the grammatical and/or spelling errors; eating lunch at work while I do this!

LVNNOV2010 in Fort Worth, Texas

58 months ago

Yes, I am a student at universal now. I to went to visit Concord before choosing Universal. I knew I would not qualify for financial aid, therefor that was not a debate for me. I thought Concord had a beautiful facility, but I felt like the person I spoke with was a used car salesman. I believe
concord's fee is around $28,000, and Universal is $19,500. I think that the largest grant that you can get for Concord is $10,000, so you would still have to pay about the same at both of the schools. Universal tuition includes everything for thier fee. They have small classes and fabulous teachers. You should go by and visit. I am so happy I am doing this. I only wish I had done this years ago. I hope this is helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Megan in Fort Worth, Texas

57 months ago

Do they offer a part time course like concord does? Or anything other than nights. Concords 2 nights a week and every other weekend suits me for my schedual but I'm concerned about the price although I've spoken to a few facilities and they say they prefer concord graduates and hadn't heard of universal

57 months ago

Thank you so much for the response. I have an appointment to visit Universal tomorrow morning but will have to heavily weigh their evening class schedule with Concorde. Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

GudGurlz01 in Arlington, Texas said: Thank you so much for the response. I have an appointment to visit Universal tomorrow morning but will have to heavily weigh their evening class schedule with Concorde. Good luck to you!

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THOUGHT. tHE OYHER REASON THAT I CHOOSE UNIVERSAL WAS DUE TO THE LENGTH OF TIME. CONCORD WAS 21 MONTHS FOR EVENING CLASSES AS OPPOSED TO UNIVERSAL 44 WEEKS.

57 months ago

SORRY ABOUT THE POOR SPELLING....REPLYING WHILE DRIVING...NOT GOOD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dawn

54 months ago

LVNNOV2010 in Fort Worth, Texas said: SORRY ABOUT THE POOR SPELLING....REPLYING WHILE DRIVING...NOT GOOD.

Does Universal offer more than one start date a year? I was just on their website and the application date has come and gone for the fall program. Do they have another program that starts late fall or spring?

jovita in Richmond, Texas

54 months ago

i stay in richmond texas ,i 'm looking for lvn school near by.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kelly in Fort Worth, Texas

54 months ago

The school Universal School of Voc Education how can you get the funding to attend if they don't take financial aid?

KAT in Arlington, Texas

54 months ago

kelly in Fort Worth, Texas said: The school Universal School of Voc Education how can you get the funding to attend if they don't take financial aid?

Private student loans

billionheir in Carrollton, Texas

53 months ago

kelly in Fort Worth, Texas said: The school Universal School of Voc Education how can you get the funding to attend if they don't take financial aid?

Have you come across any type of funding for this school, besides private loans etc?????

billionheir in Carrollton, Texas

53 months ago

KAT in Arlington, Texas said: Private student loans

when you say private loans what do you mean ??? banks, credit unions etc????

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.