Has Anyone Attended Gurnick Academy in Fresno, CA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Amal_559 in Fresno, California

22 months ago

I'm thinking of going to Gurnick Acendemy for the LVN Program, and would love to hear thoughts from anyone who's attended. From what I hear, it seems to be quite expensive ($29,000+), but fast paced and no waiting list. Any current/future students please let me know the up's and down's of going to Gurnick vs attending Fresno/Clovis Adult School. Thanks. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nurse 559 in Fresno, California

21 months ago

I went to Gurnick and I would suggest looking at other schools, touring each campus and meeting some of the staff beofre spending your $30,000. Gurnick might have the potential to be a good school but are still going through growing pains. Ask each school about their clinical rotataions and verify that they have an active site for each course you are required to have or if they have you spend those clinical hours in their skills lab. There is also a program at the Madera Center out in the Ranchos you might want to check into also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Thanks for the reply! I don't have the option of attending school outside of Fresno, but I am looking into other options besides the Adult Schools here and Fresno City/State (never liked big colleges, plus not sure, but I heard there's a waiting list?) I narrowed it down to Gurnick and National University, so I would realllllllly like to know more about Gurnick if you dont mind :) Did you not like the way the program was run? Are the staff helpful in helping you find a job after graduating? Did you feel like you had a good amount of clinical sites to go to? The only reason I'm looking into Gurnick is because its fast paced, but I want to make sure its a school that will help me get a job after I graduate and give me as much experience during clinical rotations so that I can get to know people in the healthcare field and put my name out there for job employment before I drop $30 Grand. Please reply, any input is appreciated :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

If I had it to do over I would have looked into other schools, and went somewhere else. There was a revolving door as far as the staff went. The clinical sites that we had were a couple of nursing homes and on more than one occasion we weren't allowed to participate in any of the nursing tasks. We didn't have a pediatirc or maternity rotation, we spent those hours in Gurnicks skills lab (we watched a mannequin give birth once) As far as job placement they sent emails of the same sites you can find yourself on websites like indeed. The anatomy and physiology that they offer does not count towards any other schooling and if you choose to move on in your education you would have to retake those classes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Nurse 559 in Fresno, California said: If I had it to do over I would have looked into other schools, and went somewhere else. There was a revolving door as far as the staff went. The clinical sites that we had were a couple of nursing homes and on more than one occasion we weren't allowed to participate in any of the nursing tasks. We didn't have a pediatirc or maternity rotation, we spent those hours in Gurnicks skills lab (we watched a mannequin give birth once) As far as job placement they sent emails of the same sites you can find yourself on websites like indeed. The anatomy and physiology that they offer does not count towards any other schooling and if you choose to move on in your education you would have to retake those classes.

Hey Nurse 559,
Oh Wow, thats what I first said after reading your post and I laughed when you wrote "we watched a mannequin give birth once" because I did get to tour the school and I saw the "moma mannequin with her baby" your probably referring to, lol. And it's a B**** to get someone to actually answer the phone no matter what time of day I would call which was Weird to me. Dang, If I'm spending that much money I would at least want someone to answer the phone. I'm shocked that was your clinical site experience... can't believe I was gonna drop $30 Grand their,oh man, you don't know how much I appreciate your response :) THANK YOU SO MUCH. So are you still there or a recent graduate? Either way, I wish you the best. I think I'll have to look into clovis adult school which will probably take twice as long :( Hope it doesn't take forever...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

It may take you twice as long but it will be a million times better education and oh so worth it!! I have graduated and am glad to be! you are oh so welcome I only wish I had done more research and someone speak to me honestly about it. Best of luck to you at Clovis Adult! Being a nurse is AWESOME you will love it! And yes the momma mannequin is one and the same!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Nurse 559 in Fresno, California said: It may take you twice as long but it will be a million times better education and oh so worth it!! I have graduated and am glad to be! you are oh so welcome I only wish I had done more research and someone speak to me honestly about it. Best of luck to you at Clovis Adult! Being a nurse is AWESOME you will love it! And yes the momma mannequin is one and the same!!

Nurse 559,
I heard it's brutal in Fresno getting a job as an LVN (especially for new grads w/ no experience) and the pay is bad (which I didn't expect to hear.) I'm not sure if I'm just getting the wrong info or if its true. Did you have any luck after graduating finding work quick? If so, what type of facility did you find employment in? And sorry to ask such a personal question about the pay, but just wondering if you can tell me what a typical starting grad w/ no experience makes. I would really appreciate it :) Thanks Again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Brutal to say the least, experience is HUGE, some places are asking for 3 yrs to even be considered. the majority of my fellow graduates only found work as a LVN at the place they were already working as a CNA or a personal contact. Not help from Gurnick. The VA has good pay some of the schools have good pay not sure about the nursing homes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Nurse 559 in Fresno, California said: Brutal to say the least, experience is HUGE, some places are asking for 3 yrs to even be considered. the majority of my fellow graduates only found work as a LVN at the place they were already working as a CNA or a personal contact. Not help from Gurnick. The VA has good pay some of the schools have good pay not sure about the nursing homes

Nurse559,
I know you said earlier that you only wished someone spoke honestly to you about the whole LVN process you had to go through (mama mannequin and all.. lol), so I really appreciate your honest opinion. What you have shared with me has saved me BIGGGG TIME from attending a college that wasn't worth my time or hard earned money(trust me, I was moments away from signing on the dotted line with Gurnick)and because of your input/experience I have chosen a different route. Thank you so much for that, and I wish you all the best in you career. I believe "What you give, you receive." What most people fail to notice is that there is no set time on when you will receive what you give: It may be days, weeks, months and even years before you receive what you give, so never give up what you are trying to succeed at. God is Good. I pray that you will be rewarded for what you have helped me with. And from me to you, Salam Alaikum :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Thank you. I'm glad to have shared with you, I wish you all the best in your nursing career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.