New grad Registered Nurse

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

ERICA26LOVE in baltimore, Maryland

51 months ago

Jolene in Norfolk, Nebraska said: Anyone know of ANY company willing to hire a new grad RN? I am not finding anything that doesn't require a year of experience, which i don't have because I just graduated, and they don't consider my internship or clinical hours work, so I'm technically entry level.

where i live we have fellowship programs , where new nurses attend classes i think for like 4wks non paid but to get experience. they are hired but before they begin working they take a class. basically its a training class. but check and see if you local hospitals have them. also consider taking any shift availble and any full part time prn whatever just to get your foot in the door. im proof i started out prn now im part time basically full time. so take whatever you can get to get expirence now nad then move to what you really wanna do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Mobile, Al in Atlanta, Georgia

50 months ago

ERICA26LOVE in baltimore, Maryland said: where i live we have fellowship programs , where new nurses attend classes i think for like 4wks non paid but to get experience. they are hired but before they begin working they take a class. basically its a training class. but check and see if you local hospitals have them. also consider taking any shift availble and any full part time prn whatever just to get your foot in the door. im proof i started out prn now im part time basically full time. so take whatever you can get to get expirence now nad then move to what you really wanna do.

I live in Mobile,Al. I started at University of South Alabama Medical Center straight out of school in the Surgical Trauma ICU. Level one hospital and the Nurse Manager loves new grads. Hires them all the time. They currently have positions. Just a thought if you are willing to relocate. Www.usouthal.edu. Check out openings

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rn doin cna in Columbia, Maryland

50 months ago

ERICA26LOVE in baltimore, Maryland said: where i live we have fellowship programs , where new nurses attend classes i think for like 4wks non paid but to get experience. they are hired but before they begin working they take a class. basically its a training class. but check and see if you local hospitals have them. also consider taking any shift availble and any full part time prn whatever just to get your foot in the door. im proof i started out prn now im part time basically full time. so take whatever you can get to get expirence now nad then move to what you really wanna do.

what hospital are you speaking of? I am very interested. so far i haven't seen anything posted by any hospital that speaks of such a program...maybe its only available to those already employed.?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RN in Wilmington, Delaware

50 months ago

rn doin cna in Columbia, Maryland said: what hospital are you speaking of? I am very interested. so far i haven't seen anything posted by any hospital that speaks of such a program...maybe its only available to those already employed.?

Hey Everyone! My best friend is a RN at John Hopkins in Baltimore, MD. She said that Hopkins has been on a hiring freeze for several months as well. Now, you know thats bad when Hopkins (huge level 1 trauma center) is on a freeze). She also implied that all the patient care techs that were graduating this past May, 2010 were hired, because they were internal applicants. She also said, (according to her nurse manager) that hopkins will NOT be hiring new grads for a while, due to the number of internal new grads that were offered GN positions. Frustrating is an understatement. Im a RN in Delaware, currently working in my hospital as a Patient Care Tech. How dissapointing.... Im one paycheck away from being homeless and applying for food stamps. Honestly, I am not kidding. I can barely afford to pay my mortage, car payment, food, bills, etc on tech pay. I never thought my life would come this after graduating from Nursing school. Please Help. I welcome any comments! Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sally in Pottstown, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

Have you tried area nursing homes? Several around here are hiring new grads, but you have to have passed your state boards. Sadly for RNs, most hospitals want BSNs and don't want to have to pay for the extra education. I'm seeing that trend at hospitals in our area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sandra in San Luis Obispo, California

50 months ago

Its seem so hard everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

New RN in San Diego, California

49 months ago

Yes, I know how everyone feels. I have recently obtained my BSN and just got my license 3 weeks ago. I have been applying everywhere (nursing homes, jails, clinics, new grad programs, rn positions) they all say the same thing. They want at least 1 year of experience. I even tried contacting the military to become an officer, but even that is a no go. I have applied to over 120 positions in CA, and even expanded my search throughout the U.S.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EMT/RN in Columbia, Maryland

49 months ago

sally in Pottstown, Pennsylvania said: Have you tried area nursing homes? Several around here are hiring new grads, but you have to have passed your state boards. Sadly for RNs, most hospitals want BSNs and don't want to have to pay for the extra education . I'm seeing that trend at hospitals in our area.

thats not true. I work at Chidrens National Medical Center in DC and there are just as many RN's on my unit as there are BSN's. And they all make the same starting salary. In fact, we have charge nurses and clinical coordinators that don't hold a BSN or MSN but just a plain old RN. They also have a tuition reimbursement program to pay for further education. Get your facts straight before you hand out incorrect advice to people.

A number of area hospitals have already hired new grads for the fall. They typically hire new grads twice a year, around the times of school graduations. If you look right now, there are no openings.... had you looked back in April/May there were a number of positions posted for NEW GRAD RN 1 positions, you just have to know what you are looking for and where.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Rachel in Baltimore, Maryland

49 months ago

her facts are/were straight. Your number of RNs as BSNs probably has to do with the fact that the RNs w/out BSN's have probably been nurses forever and therefore have the experience that merits getting a job easily. As a new grad, it is much more desirable to have a BSN and some if not most hospitals require you have to a BSN if you are a new grad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

EMT/RN in Columbia, Maryland

48 months ago

Rachel in Baltimore, Maryland said: her facts are/were straight. Your number of RNs as BSNs probably has to do with the fact that the RNs w/out BSN's have probably been nurses forever and therefore have the experience that merits getting a job easily. As a new grad, it is much more desirable to have a BSN and some if not most hospitals require you have to a BSN if you are a new grad.

really? thats news to me since 3 of the 7 new grads my unit JUST hired do NOT have a BSN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chantilly in Chantilly, Virginia

48 months ago

They were lucky. Washington produces many BSNs from fine schools. That's a lot of competition for the ASN grads.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RN in Tampa, Florida

48 months ago

EMT/RN in Columbia, Maryland said: really? thats news to me since 3 of the 7 new grads my unit JUST hired do NOT have a BSN.

And who in that hospital are the new grads related to? Certainly they are not related to average Jane or Joe floor nurse or they would be unemployed. Or did a manager owe a back favor to that new nurse's mommy or daddy? Because nationwide with the exception of a few areas of Texas, many new RNs are unable to find a job in a hospital whether they have BSNs or ASNs. The exception are those who struck lucky (once in a very rare blue moon) most however are related to someone in management or the upper echelon of corporate. Rumor? no. Many will openly admit that is how they got their jobs if they are given a few minutes to ramble incessantly about themselves.

Far as the charge and clinical coordinators being RNs without BSNs, I'm sure they have been there for at least a dozen years to be in those positions without those extra initials.

I have to say this will be the FIRST time in 4 years that I have heard of a single unit taking 7 new grads of any degree level in any state.

I would suggest you bone up on your knowledge base of hospital politics before you get so hostile with the next poster.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ted in Brooklyn, New York

48 months ago

Jolene in Norfolk, Nebraska said: Anyone know of ANY company willing to hire a new grad RN? I am not finding anything that doesn't require a year of experience, which i don't have because I just graduated, and they don't consider my internship or clinical hours work, so I'm technically entry level.

I'm so sorry for you, but
keep trying, you'll find.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Taryn in Quincy, Massachusetts

48 months ago

I started almost 30 yrs ago, at the time, there were no jobs available. Plus I went to an evening nsg program in Northern mass and got my ASN. I couldn't find any work at the time, and applied to several area hospitals in Boston. While waiting, I took a job as a camp nurse for special needs kids, just to get any experience. I finally decided, that I would apply to some of the most underprivleged facilities in the city. People thought I was crazy. I ended up working at Boston City Hospital, Night shift. It was the craziest year of my life, me new grad (gn) with 2 gpn nurses all waiting to hear from our boards. It was a 30 bed surgical trauma floor. We all passed, finally, and it was a learning experience I will never forget! My advice is to find the hospitals that have minimal funding and staffing, and deal with the most difficult patients. The turnover is high because of the stress, but if you can make it, it will open the doors for some great teaching hospitals that might be available to you. Another thought is Prison facilities. They too are always looking for nurses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

ds in Tel Aviv, Israel

33 months ago

<a href="aa.com">aa</a>

Graduate Nurse from Philly in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

33 months ago

sally in Pottstown, Pennsylvania said: Have you tried area nursing homes? Several around here are hiring new grads, but you have to have passed your state boards. Sadly for RNs, most hospitals want BSNs and don't want to have to pay for the extra education. I'm seeing that trend at hospitals in our area.

Hi Sally, Which nursing homes are you referring to in Pottstown? I am very interested!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

medsurgregisterednoise in New York, New York

31 months ago

Hi, could you please advise re dc area hospitals rn to patient ratio and salary for an experienced rn (one year med surg)?
I am an RN (associate's prepared) working in a small teaching hospital(293 bed capacity) here in queens ny and I'm contemplating moving back to va where my family is..thanks for your help

EMT/RN in Columbia, Maryland said: thats not true. I work at Chidrens National Medical Center in DC and there are just as many RN's on my unit as there are BSN's. And they all make the same starting salary. In fact, we have charge nurses and clinical coordinators that don't hold a BSN or MSN but just a plain old RN. They also have a tuition reimbursement program to pay for further education. Get your facts straight before you hand out incorrect advice to people.

A number of area hospitals have already hired new grads for the fall. They typically hire new grads twice a year, around the times of school graduations. If you look right now, there are no openings.... had you looked back in April/May there were a number of positions posted for NEW GRAD RN 1 positions, you just have to know what you are looking for and where.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jazz in Bear, Delaware

29 months ago

Union Hospital of Cecil County, MD hiring on every unit. New grads as well.

New Nurse in Glendale, California

29 months ago

EMT/RN in Columbia, Maryland said: thats not true. I work at Chidrens National Medical Center in DC and there are just as many RN's on my unit as there are BSN's. And they all make the same starting salary. In fact, we have charge nurses and clinical coordinators that don't hold a BSN or MSN but just a plain old RN. They also have a tuition reimbursement program to pay for further education. Get your facts straight before you hand out incorrect advice to people.

Actually, there has to be a certain percent (75, I think) of BSN nurses for a hospital to earn a certain ranking from Joint Comission. I'm a senior BSN student and I know that many hospitals DO want BSN nurses instead of RN's. You should adjust your tone before making wrong comments. She was simply stating why she thought he might not be getting hired and she was correct.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jaci Tarlowe in Pompano Beach, Florida

29 months ago

I've got a NEW GRAD friendly 8 week camp NURSE position in the Adirondack Mountains of NY for the summer. You can be any specialty but must already have a NY RN License as well as a drivers license. They house you in a private room in their medical facility and the pay is pretty good for living it up and working at a summer camp. You have to like kids though:) If anyone knows of new grads in NY with license and drivers license feel free to have them email me with their resume in WORD format to Jaclyn@greenlightstaffing.NET. My client is interviewing now via skype and already hired 2! One spot left:)

Sincerely,
Jaclyn Tarlowe, MBA
President/CEO
Greenlight Staffing Services, Inc.
Jaclyn@greenlightstaffing.NET

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

16pawz

28 months ago

Jazz in Bear, Delaware said: Union Hospital of Cecil County, MD hiring on every unit. New grads as well.

I've applied for about four jobs there and have never even gotten a call for an interview...At this point I would take any job, any place (within 60 miles).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jess in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

28 months ago

16pawz said: I've applied for about four jobs there and have never even gotten a call for an interview...At this point I would take any job, any place (within 60 miles).

Try Geisinger Medical Center They LOVE new grads! Its located in Danville, Pa about 2 and a half hours away from Philly. I was just hired there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Helana N in Broomall, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

i need nurses for lower bucks county, in a call center environment, no experience needed just need to be licensed rn in pa or nj. if anyone is interested send resumes to hnn@judge.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mediserve in Perth, Australia

22 months ago

Is anyone their interested to work in Australia?
mediserve.com.au/ for more information about nursing jobs in Australia.

Whether your intention is to travel and work your way around Australia or have specific locations in mind, Mediserve can assist with all your nursing requirements. We arrange all your travel and accommodation needs so that you are free to have a great time experiencing all the sights of Australia. Overseas nurses are very welcome whether on a working holiday or seeking sponsorship.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

National Care in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

8 months ago

NCHS is a new company looking for one R.N. to join our family in the Philadelphia area.If your interested please email your resume to NationalCareHs@gmail.com/We prefer someone just out of school.Thankyou!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.