Immigrating to Canada

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 59)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Matthew in Wylie, Texas

38 months ago

I heard about some international nurses came to Canada through agents, resigning their job and sold properties, to settle in Canada. They were offered such high figures but was for the northern provinces. Due to the extreme climatic conditions, they could not continue and had to go back. Is there any reason they could not work in southern parts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (490) / No (103) Reply - Report abuse

nurse2011 in Makati, Philippines

33 months ago

Mario Lopez BSN-RN in Mill Valley, California said: The reason why they could not work in southern parts of Canada is that in major cities in Canada, they always ask for "CANADIAN EXPERIENCE". Can you imagine an internationally-educated nurse who is highly qualified but have not been nor have worked in CANADA being asked if he/she has "CANADIAN EXPERIENCE"?

I hope I answered your question.

what are the major cities in canada? thanks a lot

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

tenzin pema in Pune, India

32 months ago

hi im a gnm nurse ( general nursing midwifery ).. i want to know about the registrtation process and the job oppurtunities in canada with expeience from india.. please do advise me.. awaiting your help..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (448) / No (117) Reply - Report abuse

payal in Auckland, New Zealand

32 months ago

Hi everyone
I am a nursing student who got residency in Canada.I will have to move there straightaway after completing my nursing and getting NZ registration to prevent my PR from lapsing.I am really worried i won't get a job in Calgary (where i'm planning on settling) as i will have an overseas education and on top of that no experience as a new graduate.Will i have to end up doing some more studies even to get the registration in Calgary? also does Canada have a special program for New graduates where they can work with somebody's guidance for upto 10 months, still get paid to enable the transition from a student to an RN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (261) / No (49) Reply - Report abuse

Izabella in Mississauga, Ontario

30 months ago

Hi Beverly,
Thank you for your advice I will try to get the outlines.
I finished(12 years of high schoola and gramar school)My bachelor was 3years of accelerated program we had 12 subjects per semester, but we will see if it will be good enough.
Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Randeep Kaur in Delhi, India

30 months ago

Hello Every One...
i am a nurse as I did Diploma in Gernal Nursing And Midwifery with 2 years experiance in medicine and aged care. Now I am Interested for moving to canada and searching for a good job in General nursing And midwifery. and want help from all of you if there are any recruitment in the related field then please tell me and suggest me what i should do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (269) / No (58) Reply - Report abuse

fairy3 in Woking, United Kingdom

29 months ago

i am a general nurse with 2 years experience wanting to work in Canada for approx 6 months then travel some more....is it possible to only work there for this short period??i have no clue how to go about all this,please advise me!?what nursingn recruitment agencies should i contact?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (135) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Sarankumar.dr in Madras, India

29 months ago

Hi good morning. I Finished b.sc Nursing. I want to do M.sc . Which subject best for me. I am a male

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Rajan Alakandy in Thana, India

28 months ago

Dear Sir,
Is it possible to get an hospital for Indian graduate nurses can work and study for CRNE. Majority of our nurses completed their IELTS more than 7 bands.

Thanks and regrds

Rajan A

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Teja in Visakhapatnam, India

27 months ago

Hi everyone,
My mother holds a B.Sc nursing with 26 yrs experience in Immuno haemotology and transfusion medicine, provided she can work in any department in nursing. After my dad passed away, myself and mom wanted to settle in overseas. Now, my doubt is.. will my mom get a job there ( she will write the CRNE exam too). are there any precautions she needs to take before she takes up a job? Will it be any easy to find a job with all the 26yrs experience she had?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (99) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Brown

27 months ago

I am a RN who works in Jamaica. I have my bachelors of science in nursing and I am a member of Nurses Association of Jamaica. I was told that Jamaica has a reciprocal relationship with some provinces in Canada so my Jamaican nursing license could be used in Canada. So I wouldn't need a Canadian license. Is that true? If so, which provinces?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (119) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

dhanesh kumar in Delhi, India

26 months ago

Hi, I m dhanesh, I m working as a staff nurse in aiims. I want to go to Canada for work as a staff nurse. So please tell me what I have to do migrate Canada n please send tha addresse of some legal institute that migrate the nurse to Canada.
thanks,
dhanesh Kumar
staff nurse,
aiims, new Delhi.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (72) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

nikk pandher in Regina, Saskatchewan

25 months ago

hiii evryone can u tell me plz why in ur country Canada .people ask for reference. i did my bachelors in nursing from india .offcourse i can't work as a RPN OR RN till get licensed thts acceptable. can't we guys work even in nursing homes. i dont knw i send numerous emails appilied for job many times. every times it seems like i won't get it. firstly i don;t have any reference second no canadian experience even though i work as a I.C.U. nurse in india. but this country works solely on reference if u won;t have . they don;t give u job. they can say you directly but indirectly they want it. from where we get Canadian experience if they won;t recruit us. at least we guys are fully capable to do jobs at nursing homes or care centres. i m still unemployed. dont even think that u get job here without reference no matter how much deserving u r

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

nikk pandher in Regina, Saskatchewan

25 months ago

hiii evryone can u tell me plz why in ur country Canada .people ask for reference. i did my bachelors in nursing from india .offcourse i can't work as a RPN OR RN till get licensed thts acceptable. can't we guys work even in nursing homes. i dont knw i send numerous emails appilied for job many times. every times it seems like i won't get it. firstly i don;t have any reference second no canadian experience even though i work as a I.C.U. nurse in india. but this country works solely on reference if u won;t have . they don;t give u job. they can say you directly but indirectly they want it. from where we get Canadian experience if they won;t recruit us. at least we guys are fully capable to do jobs at nursing homes or care centres. i m still unemployed. dont even think that u get job here without reference no matter how much deserving u r

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Heather Best in Falkirk, United Kingdom

25 months ago

Hi there,

I'm going to be a newly qualified nurse at the end of 2013 and I'm seriously considering moving to Canada but not sure how easy it would be to secure a job with my little experience?

Has anyone got advice for me?

Thanks

Heather

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (131) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

amuthaflorence in Nagercoil, India

25 months ago

pls suggest me a good and genuine agency who recruit nurse to Canada.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Laxus in Philippines

24 months ago

Is there a way to take the CRNE here in the Philippines?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Ron in Richmond, British Columbia

24 months ago

The CRNE has to be written in Canada. The CNA has no intentions of making the test available in other countries. Prior to writing the CRNE exam you must apply to one of the 13 nursing regulatory bodies in Canada. (each province has it's own regulatory body). For most provinces you would have to come to canada first to do an assessment prior to be approved to write the crne. (SEC accessment... Substantially Equivalent Competencies). only after having that assessment would you then be approved to write the CRNE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

nina in Slavonski Brod, Croatia

24 months ago

Hi, my name is Nina.
First of all, I would like to thank Ron for the informations. So, let's make it clear one more time: before taking CRNE, a have to pass SEC, write?
What about NCLEX-PN? What are the conditions? I have a bachelor degree in nursing and 3 year experience. Is there any chance that I take NCLEX-PN without any tests before it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

nina in Slavonski Brod, Croatia

24 months ago

Ron, thank you for the informations.

When I asked about NCLEX, I didn't realized that's for USA, my mistake.

But, can you tell what are the conditions for CPNRE? Are there any "pre - tests"?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

That is really a mixed bag. It depends on which province you apply for. If you apply to the province of BC you would first have to show that you have passed the English language requirements before they would begin to process your application. The approval of creditials is done by a agency that specializes in credential evaluations, and then the report is sent to the College of Licensed Practical nurses of BC. If you apply to Ontario, they College of Nurses of Ontario does their own Credentials approvals. If you apply to the Province of Alberta you have to attent one of 2 approved universities that will do an assessment and perhaps provide a preregistration qualifiying course.

I would suggest that you check out the website www.omnicollege.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Beverly in Surrey, British Columbia

24 months ago

There are some changes occurring that may make the exam for a registered nursing license available in other countries, but it is unlikely that will occur before 2016

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nina in Garcin, Croatia

24 months ago

What about CPNRE?
I have a bachelor degree in nursing and 3 year experience. Do I have to take any pre-tests for CPNRE?

Thanks in advance

Beverly in Surrey, British Columbia

24 months ago

there are no pre-tests for any of the licensing exams in nursing in Canada.

CRNE - Canadian Registered Nurse Exam
CPNRE = Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Exam
CRPNE = Canadian Registered Psychiatric Nurse Exam

the Substantially Equivalent Competency Assessment (SEC) is done in some provinces as a way of determining if your basic education and background prepared you to meet the entry level competencies for nursing in Canada. It is most often done for people with no experience or a long time interval since the period of last practice in nursing (typically about 3-5 years) or when paper work is not sufficient to establish the required information to determine if basic competencies were acquired.

Not all nurses who apply for registration as an RN are required to complete it. To my knowledge there is no SEC for practical nursing or psychiatric nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tejas Patel in Anand, India

24 months ago

Good Morning All,
I have Passed My Bsc Nursing From Bharati Vidyapeeth Pune.
I have One year experience there.
I want to immigrate to Canada (PR).
Advice me about How many years of experience is needed ...
what all other requirement is fulfilled.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

bimala adhikari in Nepal

23 months ago

Hi I am a registered Nurse of nepal.I did bachelor degree in nursing from Nepal.I have been working in National Cancer Hospital of Nepal since 12 years.Now I am coming over there at the last of November as a Permanent residence.May I found a suitable job? How can I prepare CRNE before arrivng? I am so much exicted to work in your country.Please provide appropriate guidance for me before coming.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

gregpole1 in paris, France

21 months ago

Nice post !!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

"La partie du sud du Canada exige des infirmiers qui avaient le degré international. L'internat doit être fait de l'institut bien établi. Mais maintenant ce scénario change <a href="www.consultem.com/offer1/>
progressivement.</a>
"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

"La partie du sud du Canada exige des infirmiers qui avaient le degré international. L'internat doit être fait de l'institut bien établi. Mais maintenant ce scénario change progressivement.
"

18 months ago

a).. is it worth it? it depends on what you would do with your license, would you add that to your credentials in India and would that mean a better position or pay for you there? It would cost over $1,000.00 to write the test and get a license.

b) one benefit would be that you would be legally able to work in a province in Canada, as a Psychiatric nurse, if you had a work permit... and that is one of the catches,... it would be hard for you to get a work permit. I presume that if you have your masters in Psychiatric nursing then you have your BScN and are also a registered nurse in India. In my opinion you would be better off to become a Registered nurse in Canada. A masters doesn't really mean much unless you have experience to back you education up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Silverstone in Mumbai, India

18 months ago

Ron in Richmond, British Columbia said: a).. is it worth it? it depends on what you would do with your license, would you add that to your credentials in India and would that mean a better position or pay for you there? It would cost over $1,000.00 to write the test and get a license.

b) one benefit would be that you would be legally able to work in a province in Canada, as a Psychiatric nurse, if you had a work permit... and that is one of the catches,... it would be hard for you to get a work permit. I presume that if you have your masters in Psychiatric nursing then you have your BScN and are also a registered nurse in India. In my opinion you would be better off to become a Registered nurse in Canada. A masters doesn't really mean much unless you have experience to back you education up.

what if my academics are meeting the requirements quoted by CRPNA? Even then it would be better to become RN there?
guidance needed>>>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

heena in Culver City, California

14 months ago

Hi Ron , i am living in USA for past 15 + years, BSN , working full time for past seven years, would like to migrate to Canada ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Ron in Richmond, British Columbia said: As of May 4, 2013 Immigration for Nurses to Canada is closed. You cannot apply from Outside Canada to immigrate. You can only apply for Permanent Residence from within Canada. The way to do that would be through the Canadian Experience Class. The experience that would qualify you would be if you worked as a nurse in Canada for more than one year, and for that you would have to get a job with a Canadian employer after the employer obtains an LMO (labor market opinion). The other way would be to come to Canada as a student, and then work following graduation and then apply for PR. I would suggest you check out the Canadian government's immigration website www.cic.gc.ca , and also check out www.omnicollege.com

Thank You Ron , this information was helpful, i almost gave up !!
Any suggestions about nurse recruiting agencies to help out with the process.
Thanks
heena

13 months ago

heena, you might try melane@prnstaffingsolutions.com She works with a company that places nurses in several provinces in Canada. She will give you accurate information on the job situation and immigration possibilities. (tell her I referred you)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Thank you Ron , you are prompt !!

13 months ago

i have emailed her as you mentioned. Thanks again

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Atlanta, Georgia

13 months ago

heena in Culver City, California said: Hi Ron , i am living in USA for past 15 + years, BSN , working full time for past seven years, would like to migrate to Canada ?

Hi Ron,I am a Canadian resident in living in Ontario but schooling in the US.I just graduated nursing school(BSN--RN) 2013 from a highly recognized institution and want to move back to Canada and practice because I was only given a yr opt to work here in the states.where should I start from?I'm currently in Canada for vacation.

13 months ago

Hi Tina,
You didn't indicate that you have your California Nursing license. It would be very difficult to apply for registration in Canada if you aren't already a registered nurse in California. You will be viewed as an internationally educated nurse and therefore nursing regulatory bodies in Canada would want to see that you have met the requirements for registration in another country. So registration in California is step #1`.
If you are going to apply to the Province of Ontario you may find that it takes up to 1 year for them to process your documents, so you might want to look at other provinces. The most important factor in developing yourself as a professional is to get nursing experience. If you can work in the USA for 1 year, while your documents are being processed in Canada, I would highly recommend it. Also , while you are working (and solidifying your nursing knowledge) you can prepare for writing the CRNE exam. As of 2015 the CRNE exam will have major changes, however if you write the CRNE exam in 2014 you should begin preparing for it. You can get a sample exam from the Canadian Nurses Association. If you do well on that exam, that is an indication that you might do well on the CRNE. If you do poorly on that exam then you might want to look at some formal test preparation with a Canadian tutor. As you know the exam is written the first Wednesday of February, June and October. Your application to write the exam must be in about 3 months before the exam. (deadline dates are posted in the Nursing regulatory websites). But before you put your application in you have to have your credentials approved by the provincial nursing regulatory body. CNO in Ontario. It is highly unlikely that you would be able to write the CRNE exam in 2013. So it makes sense for you to work in California and gain experience there.

That experience will help tremendously in getting a job in Canada. You have a wonderful career ahead of you. Good luck.

Elena in Port-of-spain, Trinidad and Tobago

13 months ago

Hi Ron,
Your responses are really helpful. I recently passed the RPNC examinations and am in the process of registering with CRPNBC. I am interested in securing a job in that province as soon as i can and would need a working permit to obtain such. My question is this, is it best for me to enter Canada and then try to get a job and then apply for the working permit from up there or would it be easier to try to source a job from here in the Caribbean then apply for the working permit from here? Even so, i would really like to use the person you recommended at the recruitment agency, may I?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Hello Elena,
The recruiter contact information I gave was for a recruiter that is only for the provinces of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Ontario. Also, she only recruits for Registered Nurses. Sorry about that. I think that you should do some research first from your home country, and then if you have some prospective employers, then come for an interview. There are currently hundreds of Canadian LPN's looking for work, so an employer can only offer you a job if a Canadian cannot be found for the job. This makes getting a job as an LPN very difficult for an international nurse. I cannot think of any reason that an employer might be able to give to hire you above a Canadian nurse. If you had several years experience then you would have a much better change of getting a job, but with no experience it would be very difficult. You should look at the employment opportunities in different provinces and then apply for a license to the province that has the most opportunities. Sorry to sound so negative.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mol mol in Coimbatore, India

13 months ago

am doing ma msc nursing in pediatrics ..i like teaching filed ,is there any opportunity for me to work as a tutor in nursing field in abroad with my Indian msc nursing qualification ?if not,how can i be a tutor in abroad and what should be my qualification? i prefer to european countries mostly then for the others..pls do guide me to my dream come true..
thank you..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Amandeep Kaur Dhanesar in Calgary, Alberta

12 months ago

Hey I am a registered nurse from India with a ICU experience of 4 years. I recently came to Calgary on PR and planning to apply for CRNE. Can you please tell me how much time will each step take before I give my CRNE? Moreover I read it online that Alberta has closed its IEN centre that conducted assessment for international educated nurses. Is this going to affect the processing time? Suggest me some way that I finish my registration process soon and be able to work as a nurse soon in Calgary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

Hello Amandeep,
You didn't mention in your post if you have passed the English language requirements or if your nursing experience was recent. If you have passed the English language requirements and had recent nursing experience you might be better off to apply to become an RN in another province. Have you contacted the Alberta College of Registered Nurses for more clarification on the situation for IENs? Because of the changes in the application process for IENs, mandated by the Federal government, I would not be surprised if it was more than one more year before applications for registration by IENs are accepted. In the meantime if you apply to another province, and get registration there, you can then transfer your registration back to Alberta and get your license there. It is still a lengthy process. It will take a few months to have your credentials assessed and then it may take several more months to get a date for the SEC assessment, and then a month or two to get the results for this, and then you may have some deficiencies to be corrected, which may mean class time or clinical experience time in the province where you have applied. After these deficiencies have been corrected they you can apply to write the CRNE. You have to apply about three moths before the CRNE and if you miss the cutoff date then you would not be eligible to write until 4 months later at the next riding. All said and done, it is a difficult and complex process.... but definitely worth it!

Amandeep Kaur Dhanesar in Calgary, Alberta

12 months ago

Hey
Thanks for the valuable information. I was working as a RN in India and my experience is fresh. I left my job in May 2013. Do you think applying for LPN can be bit easy and quick? Because I need to work here to survive. I m planning to give my english language test this month. My earlier english test is not of academic version as required but I had very good score in that. Moreover I want to know what does SEC assessment include? Is it a pretest? I did my B.SC nusring from a very renowned institute in India and worked in one of the biggest tertiary care hospital of India. I hope that helps me in the assessment! And I did contact CARNA about the status of IENS. But they only replied that its a very lengthy process before I will be able to give my CRNE exam. No time specifications..
Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ivy in Bagumbayan, Philippines

12 months ago

Good day, i just want to ask. I am an RN here in the Philippines and I want to work in Canada, what would be my first step to do?
Hope you can answer my concern.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Susiechoo in United Kingdom

10 months ago

I am a registered general nurse from the uk. I was born in Canada and am planning to move back to ontario in August next year with my children.
I trained in the uk
How do I go about getting a job ?
I have started the process to register with college of ontario nurses
I would like to secure a job before I come over, could anyone give me any advice on the best way to go about this

Many thanks

ron in Richmond, British Columbia

10 months ago

Susiechoo in United Kingdom said: I am a registered general nurse from the uk. I was born in Canada and am planning to move back to ontario in August next year with my children.
I trained in the uk
How do I go about getting a job ?
I have started the process to register with college of ontario nurses
I would like to secure a job before I come over, could anyone give me any advice on the best way to go about this

Many thanks

In order to provide you with any meaningful advice, the most important information that the advice would be based on would be your status... that is are you an Canadian or have PR status in Canada, and the second is what type and length of nursing experience do you have?

Susiechoo in United Kingdom

10 months ago

ron in Richmond, British Columbia said: In order to provide you with any meaningful advice, the most important information that the advice would be based on would be your status... that is are you an Canadian or have PR status in Canada, and the second is what type and length of nursing experience do you have?

I am apparently a Canadian citizen according to the Canadian embassy, have a Canadian passport.
I have been qualified 3 and a half years with 2 years emergency experience. Experience with learning disability, mental health, children and acute nursing

ron in Richmond, British Columbia

10 months ago

You might find difficulty in getting a full time job right away, but many nurses who work casual or part time end up getting full time hours...or more. Applications to the general government hospitals and long term care facilities are almost always done online through a regional HR department. This structure is known to change frequently but is probably still in place in Ontario, so if you search through google for regional health districts or authorities in Ontario you should come up with their websites, and the link to apply.

However, not being registered in Canada will be an obstacle. I would suggest that you get a "trial test" from the Canadian Nurses Association (search CNA through google) and see how you will do on the trial test. If you do well then you should feel comfortable about writing the CRNE. if you don't do well then you might want to consider a review or prep program prior to writing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tanesha in Kingston, Jamaica

9 months ago

Hi Ron
I am a Registered nurse in Jamaican, I want to secure a job in Canada is it ok for me to contact the person you recommend at the recruitment agency?

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.