New Graduate Nurse

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 2202)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Teresa From Philadelphia in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

I graduated in December and passed the NCLEX in February. Thought for sure that I would be able to get employment. It's been alsmost four months and can't find a job. Is it going to open up soon for new hires?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1046) / No (141) Reply - Report abuse

scared in Altamonte Springs, Florida

62 months ago

I have applied at orlando health. They are only hiring BSN. I feel like I made a mistake by giving up a decent job to goto nursing school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (139) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

KelseyEileen in Tempe, Arizona

62 months ago

I am so glad there are people out there that feel my pain. Here I thought it would be so easy to get a job after passing my NCLEX and I can't seem to find anything. I am feeling desperate and frustrated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (137) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

jas in Absecon, New Jersey

62 months ago

Thanks for the information. I dont think I can afford to move. A few weeks ago I got feedback from shore memorial hospital in egg harbor but the job is to far and I dont have a car. Im still trying to stay positive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Vicky in Paramount, California

62 months ago

I actually graduated in December of 2004, took the NCLEX once and didn't pass and didn't take it again until this past April. I passed, fortunately, but now I regret waiting so long because my classmates who took the exam in 2004 had no problems finding new graduate positions. I made a HUGE mistake! But guys, let's not give up hope!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Colleen in San Diego, California

62 months ago

I lost my husband back in 2004. After two years of gathering my thoughts, and praying about how to best support myself, I went back to college. I graduated in February, 2009, and passed the NCLEX-RN exam in early April. I finished at the top of my class, and thought I would begin a life; able to support myself and start over. I have been applying like crazy with absolutely no luck. I am an ADN, and know I would be competing with BSN's, but never thought it would be impossible to find a nursing job! I live in San Diego...there are many positions posted...I just don't qualify for any of them. I'm off to stock up on resume' paper and ink. I am an older graduate...and long for the days when you could actually meet face to face with a real person, and make that all important first impression. I'm on the brink of losing everything. I'll have to defer my student loans, as I cannot even keep up with the bills I already have. So much for the American Dream!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (160) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa From Philadelphia in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

Colleen,
Thank you for replying. I too long for the days when there was more face to face contact. The only good thing is that I didn't quit my other job. I at least have an income but am worried about my student loans. I wonder why I spent five years in school and countless hours studying and now can't find a job. Everyone tells me that it is going to turn around soon. I certainly hope so. Hang in there,
Teresa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Thank you for your encouragement, Teresa. I too hope that this discouraging situation we find ourselves in is in fact going to turn around. Unfortunately, when my husband passed away, I was a stay at home wife and mother. I am in my 50's and my prior work history is ancient! I will hang in there. What other option do I have. I am a christian, and do believe that God has a plan and purpose for my life. He is my hope and future!
Colleen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

jas in Absecon, New Jersey

62 months ago

Im sorry for your lost. I left my husband because he was emotionally abusive and thought I was going to start my life over by going back to school. I got my BSN in May of this year and have been looking for jobs ever since. There are no positions for new nurses. Meanwhile my bills are piling up and the summer I promised my kids looks like I wont be able to make good on them. I dont like to be negative but its so hard. I cant even afford to pay for the NCLEX exam. I just try to pray and hope that things will get better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

62 months ago

Maybe you all should start bombarding your state governor about your problem with finding a job. Start writing to your state governor, write to your state senators and congressman. It's bad enough as a legal secretary (and now a teacher) and I can't get a job. But an RN, you should be hired for a job before someone is brought in out of the country. Start bitching and dont' stop. It is a disgrace what the people running out country have allowed our economy and employment rate go to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Mickey RN in Greenville, South Carolina

62 months ago

I am very sorry everyone is experiencing the same problem as I am. I really thought I was the only one. I graduated in Dec. 08 and passed boards in Feb. 09, it took a month to find a job in the same field (nursing home) which I worked in as an LPN with agency for 4 years while trying to finish school. I have secured a job but I don't even feel like a nurse! I don't know how anyone expects us to gain any experience as a new grad when no one will give us a chance. I have half fogotten any of the skills that I just got a taste of in school at clinicals. How will I ever learn. I don't want to be classified as just a nursing home nurse. Iknow I have so much more to offer. But I don't want to sound ungrateful because I do have a job, but Iam looking for something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

April RN in El Dorado Hills, California

62 months ago

Wow,
I don't feel so alone after reading all these blogs. I went back to to school in my 30's graduated in May at the top of my class at age 40, passed the NCLEX last week. I worked in food service at our local hospital for 17 years and there are absolutely no jobs open for RN's. I felt that it was a sure thing, I'm really sorry that I quit last year, at least I would have some income coming in. My husband was laid off in December and we are about to lose everything. I've been on 5 interviews with no takers, my self esteem is in the toilet, how are we gonna keep going.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

A in Brooklyn, New York

61 months ago

I started my new-grad RN job search back in December and thought for sure I was doing everything right -- now it's late June and I still don't have a job. I've been on 2 job interviews but was told during them that the positions were very competitive... I don't know what to to. I've exhausted all hospitals in New York... :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

I received my RN license, and tried the conventional route (via apply at local hospitals, job fairs, walk-ins, etc) to no avail so far. I am working for a local agency, and am getting plenty of assignments...though Per Diem, they have kept me working while I seek a permanent full-time position in a hospital. You might try applying to Med Resource staffing agencies. It is not my dream job...but I am gaining valuable experience, earning a good wage per hour, and it looks good on my resume'. Try agencies while you continue your job search. From what I hear, New Grads are having a very tough time securing positions in hospitals. It is difficult to get the experience when no one will give you that first position. Hang in there. I feel your pain and frustration!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

A in Brooklyn, New York

61 months ago

Thank you SO MUCH!! That's a fantastic idea.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Colleen, How do you get past the experience thing? I see ads in our local paper but all that I have seen require at least 1-2 years acute care experience. Are you working at hospitals like a registry or is it in private homes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kirsten in Marlborough, Massachusetts

61 months ago

My first time taking nclex didnt pass in aug 2008 after graduating then did it again in dec 2008 passed. I have been searching and have applied everywhere still nothing!!!! Im ambarassed to call myself a new grad still....its been so long i just want a decent training to become a good nurse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Pompano Beach, Florida

61 months ago

Teresa From Philadelphia in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I graduated in December and passed the NCLEX in February. Thought for sure that I would be able to get employment. It's been alsmost four months and can't find a job. Is it going to open up soon for new hires?

I thought I was alone in this crises, graduate from Nursing School and passed NCLEX and no job offers, I guess we could work for free as interns but have no experience when we are qualified to be employed and be paid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Pompano Beach, Florida

61 months ago

Before I graduated from Nursing School I used to see advertisements for nursing jobs with sign-on bonus, and now it is virtually impossible to get a job as a new graduate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

RN in Stockton, California

61 months ago

Wow, I'm really shocked to hear how difficult it is finding a nursing position. The hospitals actually wined and dined student nurses when I went to nursing school, we all had jobs waiting for us once we graduated. Times have really changed. Good Luck to everyone in finding a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (69) Reply - Report abuse

kngsunny in Richmond, California

61 months ago

I'M going through with same things , even now home health agency want at least 1 year experiance i made a mistake jumping in to (lvn) program took me more then year to graduate i should be doing the paralegal program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Don't give up on your passion...if it is nursing. You can eventually go back to school and do the step up program...LVN to RN program. There are jobs out there. I'm working for a homehealth agency that accepted me as a new grad. You need to try to stay positive, take care of your health, and as difficult as it is (and I speak from experience), get up each morning, and make seeking work your full-time job. I'm working per diem in homehealth, but the work is sporadic,and so I go out on my off days searching for positions. I look online, make follow up calls. I believe that with persistence, and faith...things are going to work out! Believe it...now get out there and go for it. I believe in YOU!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Yes, things have really changed. Even just since the end of last year. My daughter graduated in 2000, and was scooped right up. The graduating class of November this past year are almost all working in hospitals. Unfortunately, between the economy, and at least in my case graduation time...the "pickin's are slim for new grad RN's at the moment. I am an older new grad RN...widow, and graduated with my ADN. All the colleges in the area have just graduated so the competition is ridiculous. Without a BSN is is difficult...but not impossible. I encourage everyone to be persistent,go out each day, send thank you notes, pester until they eventually hire you just to get you off their backs. I'm working per diem...not dependable source of steady income...but I am thankful for the experience, and my daily bread. I've heard things will begin changing for the better soon...sure hope their right!!! Blessings, Colleen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Dear RN in Modesto,

Glad to hear that for you it was so easy to find a job,and I hope this does not sound rude, but for those of us struggling right now to find positions in nursing after all the hard work, study, and financing, etc., "Good luck" is a kind sentiment, but not very encouraging. I think in this economy, and the changes in the hospitals today...luck has nothing to do with it. It is going to take a MIRACLE from God...the Lord JESUS CHRIST to help us attain positions of quality in the healthcare industry. Respectfully and with blessings, Colleen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

jas in Absecon, New Jersey said: Im sorry for your lost. I left my husband because he was emotionally abusive and thought I was going to start my life over by going back to school. I got my BSN in May of this year and have been looking for jobs ever since. There are no positions for new nurses. Meanwhile my bills are piling up and the summer I promised my kids looks like I wont be able to make good on them. I dont like to be negative but its so hard. I cant even afford to pay for the NCLEX exam. I just try to pray and hope that things will get better.

Try to hang on. It is so tough out there right now, that it seems easier to just give up. God will provide for you all your needs and more if you place your trust in Him! Jeremiah 29:11 "For I have plans to prosper you, and not to harm you" declared the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and to give you a hope and a future". BELIEVE IT! LIVE IT! BREATHE IT! He will get you through this, and has great things in store for you. Your children love you, and will understand. Just spending quality time with their mom is all they need. Your love, and God's love will be sufficient! Blessings, Colleen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

RN in Modesto, California

61 months ago

Colleen in San Diego, California said: Dear RN in Modesto,

Glad to hear that for you it was so easy to find a job,and I hope this does not sound rude, but for those of us struggling right now to find positions in nursing after all the hard work, study, and financing, etc., "Good luck" is a kind sentiment, but not very encouraging. I think in this economy, and the changes in the hospitals today...luck has nothing to do with it. It is going to take a MIRACLE from God...the Lord JESUS CHRIST to help us attain positions of quality in the healthcare industry. Respectfully and with blessings, Colleen

Colleen,
Please note that I've been a nurse for almost 20 years now, it was the norm back then to have a job before you graduated. I am really shocked at how things have changed.
I realize this doesn't help you or your fellow graduates, but there are jobs out there - something will open up. God will take care of you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Thanks. I do hope things will change and something will "open up". So far the jobs out there require at least 1 year experience. New grad openings are extremely difficult, if not impossible to get into due to the enormous pool of new grads.

I know that God will take care of me! In Him I place my trust!!!

Blessings, Colleen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Carebear9a in Cape Coral, Florida

61 months ago

Colleen, I was wondering..you said you were working for home health. Which company let you work as a new grad in home health?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

La Jolla Nurses HomeCare in San Diego, CA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jon in San Diego, California

61 months ago

So im glad I'm not alone either, but yeah I graduated may 2008, and passed bpards November of the same year...still nothing its july now, this is the most frustrating thing, i went to college so i wouldnt have to go back to the hood, became a nurse so that I know ill be able to take care of myself and get to help others but no job. im thinking of joining the navy to get that expierience that I and everyone else apparently lacks but it just seems so wrong, and now when i see those commercials about thte demand is so high start nursing school i feel bad for those tha are gonna go damn near kill themselves to finish and accrue an awsome debt just to get done and still not be employed. honestly what the hell is going on?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica, CA in Fremont, California

61 months ago

So sad =( about nursing job... I'm going to apply this fall 09 and not knowing what I should do if I don't get accepted into the program...or if I do then will there be jobs available for me after I graduate? So sad... Can somebody gives me some advices?? Thx...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

elg in San Diego, California

61 months ago

Even though healthcare employment is still "available" than most, it's just as competitive and hard to come by these days. I think veteran hospitals or military clinics are always desperate to hire nurses and doctors. People just aren't too keen moving to possible remote areas.. so I don't know how interested/ desperate you are to find employment. governmentjobtips.com

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Katrina RN in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

61 months ago

I graduated from Widener in may of 08 passed the nclex in dec of 08 and have been applying every where ever since with NO RESULTS!!!! I am very upset about this situation as well.....i have schools loans, bills that were due two months ago and all credit cards are maxed out!!! How are we suppose to get experience if no one will hire us????? The BIG Nursing Shortage is over with and i would like all the nursing students working hard to know that when they graduate it will NOT be what they expect!!!! :(

Teresa From Philadelphia in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Colleen,
Thank you for replying. I too long for the days when there was more face to face contact. The only good thing is that I didn't quit my other job. I at least have an income but am worried about my student loans. I wonder why I spent five years in school and countless hours studying and now can't find a job. Everyone tells me that it is going to turn around soon. I certainly hope so. Hang in there,
Teresa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Jessica, CA in Fremont, California said: So sad =( about nursing job... I'm going to apply this fall 09 and not knowing what I should do if I don't get accepted into the program...or if I do then will there be jobs available for me after I graduate? So sad... Can somebody gives me some advices?? Thx...

I graduated from Widener in may of 08 passed the nclex in dec of 08 and have been applying every where ever since with NO RESULTS!!!! I am very upset about this situation as well.....i have schools loans, bills that were due two months ago and all credit cards are maxed out!!! How are we suppose to get experience if no one will hire us????? The BIG Nursing Shortage is over with and i would like all the nursing students working hard to know that when they graduate it will NOT be what they expect!!!! :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Even though us new grads are very frustrated, I don't think the nursing shortage is over. There were many places that pushed RN's through accelerated programs to get them graduated and into the nursing field as soon as possible. I think between an accelerated number of RN's graduating and the economy which hit everyone including healthcare hard we just are in this unlucky spot. Hospitals have to keep a certain amount of knowledgeable experienced nurses. Most hospitals even VA hospitals have all the new graduates they can handle at this point. I have talked to several nurses who graduated in the early 90's that experienced the same problem with hiring freezes, but they eventually found jobs and things turned around for them. It will turn around for us, I have to keep telling myself that and I just feel that it won't last forever. Even though my husband and I are both unemployed at the moment I know that going back to school to get my nursing degree was the right thing to do. And to those who are thinking about starting nursing school most likely things will turn around by the time you graduate!
Best wishes
April

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

New Grad RN in San Diego, California

61 months ago

I just graduated about a month ago and passed boards already. I worked in a hospital here in San Diego the past two years and when they were hiring for their new grad program the had almost 700 applicants and only hired 16. It was devastating since I watched so many new grads during my time there get hired into new grad positions on what ever unit they wanted. Needless to say I suddenly realized that I had to look elsewhere. However, I did find a position which I start soon and am very excited for. It wasn't something that I thought I would be doing but there are positions all over the United States with Indian Health Services www.ihs.gov/ if you are interested in applying there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Is this Bethany? Let me know. Your situation sounds similar to someone I know!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

BSN Dec/08 Grad in Maspeth, New York

61 months ago

To all of you. I also feel your pain. I graduated with a BSN in Dec 2008 and took/ passed the NCLEX on March 2009. I have been sending out my resume since April and the hospitals do not seem to notice my existence. I'm checking out job fairs for now. Maybe you all can try looking at job fairs and attend them. Check out nursingspectrum or any other online websites. Good luck to us all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Debbie Struble in Rhinelander, Wisconsin

61 months ago

Teresa From Philadelphia in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I graduated in December and passed the NCLEX in February. Thought for sure that I would be able to get employment. It's been alsmost four months and can't find a job. Is it going to open up soon for new hires?

I also Graduated in Decembe and passed the NCLEX in February and couldn't find a job so went on line through an agency and they hooked me up in WYoming, I had to travel, I live in Wisconsin. I moved out there, minus my family just to get experience. While I was out there, I got called back to Wisconsin and was offered a job in the ER department in a hospital I had worked at for 5 years as a Paramedic! I was on orientation for 5 weeks with 4 different mentors and all of a sudden was told, "I wasn't ready for the ER, needed more experience on Med/Surg!" So once again I'm job searching and no one out there wants new grads! If u do find one, you have to move.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Newfather in Upland, California

61 months ago

I graduated in December '08 also, passing my NCLEX in mid March. I was a little too late to get the new grad jobs for winter and have put in my ap. to a lot of hospitals within 65 miles. Nothing. The HR's at the hospitals say that June/ July they'll take applications for their New Grad Training programs that start up in Aug. I don't know what about me is so unattractive to them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Newfather in Upland, California said: I graduated in December '08 also, passing my NCLEX in mid March. I was a little too late to get the new grad jobs for winter and have put in my ap. to a lot of hospitals within 65 miles. Nothing. The HR's at the hospitals say that June/ July they'll take applications for their New Grad Training programs that start up in Aug. I don't know what about me is so unattractive to them.

NewFather,
Maybe 65 mile radius is limiting yourself too much? Have you dropped off resumes' and letters of recommendation in person? If not try it! It's just because you are a new grad just like the rest of us, it's not because of anything else. I've probably filled out 250 applications to date, I've had 5 interviews at acute care hospitals and no takers. My last interview was for a residency program and the director called me back and told me to keep doing what I'm doing, they just had sooo many applications to choose from. I have a job lined up for the fall doing flu vaccines, it's not permanent and doesn't pay as much as acute care but at least I will be doing something instead of checking my e-mails over and over and the snail mail and sitting on my phone and waiting for a call!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

New Grad RN in San Diego, California

61 months ago

I would suggest to keep applying and to reapply to the same places over again. Initially I was told that I wasn't qualified but I kept calling the recruiter and telling them how much I loved the company and would be a good addition to their team and after about two months of that they had a position for me to interview for. Overall I had been applying for about 6 months before I got a position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Fogcity in Alameda, California

61 months ago

Tell me about it. I started looking in September. Though I had several leads and 1 interview, I am still looking. So depressing. All you hear is "hiring freeze" and than you find out they hired someone anyway. Some employers don't even bother to reply at all despite having required lots of additional work (several essays)with their e-application process. The least they could do is send out a mass mail informing those who weren't chosen. A little courtesy wouldn't hurt them...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Have FAITH new grads.......i had three interviews last week and two job offers!!!! one is p/t and one is f/t....im def taking the full time position with benefits....i do have to move 100 miles away though! its worth it for me, as you all know new grads need the experience so im taking it from anywhere i can get it....they are still looking for two other RN at DEERS HEAD HOSPITAL IN SALISUBURY MARYLAND!!! Good Luck....Keep looking....and have FAITH!! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa Bolden in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

61 months ago

LLevy in San Diego, California said: Would you be interested in a per diem training program? WOuld you pay for it? Would you give a two year committment - as a per diem - to get a job?

At this time I would be interested in anything that would provide me with the necessary training. Tell me more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LVNguy in Santa Rosa, California

61 months ago

In my area(northern calif) there is a LTC/SNF that has begun hiring new grad RNs instead of LVNs and only paying them $1 an hour more than they pay LVNs. They have no problem getting RNs to hire on because there are so many new grads desperate for any kind of job. This is a reason for both RNs and LVNs to worry. And people are taking about a "nursing shortage"?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in La Jolla, California

61 months ago

I am thinking of creating a new grad training program for per diem psotion nurses in Perinatal (Labor and Delivery, NICU, Post partum (couplet care), and Antepartum nursing. These would not be benefited positions. Still interestd?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in La Jolla, California

61 months ago

I would want to have local graduates (San Diego, California) because of the high risk nature of such a program. I have hired career new grads from the east coast and, unfortunately, it has been like a revolving door. We train and then 12 -18 months the staff leave and go back to the east coast. This is not cost effective.
Is there anything like this happening on the east coast that you know of? Where is it occurring?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa Bolden in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

61 months ago

No I haven't heard of anything like what you are describing here on the east coast. My goal is to be a NICU nurse which is what caught my eye about your comment. Unfortunately, I am from Philadelphia, an east coast person. There is clearly a need for the training program that you are describing here on the east coast.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Vicky in Paramount, California

60 months ago

Linda in La Jolla, California said: I am thinking of creating a new grad training program for per diem psotion nurses in Perinatal (Labor and Delivery, NICU, Post partum (couplet care), and Antepartum nursing. These would not be benefited positions. Still interestd?

i would like information on this program. i am looking for a new grad program in any of these areas and i live in southern california.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.