Want to leave nursing, advice please

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 283)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

FindingMe in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

25 months ago

I would greatly appreciate some advice. I already have regrets so I am just trying to make the best of the situation I’m in now. I am 28 yrs old. Got my A.D.N in 2010 and went straight to do the RN-BSN and completed that in 2011, which I regret now, however I didn’t go into debt for it. I’ve been an RN (ICU) for 2 yrs and I absolutely hate it. I just cannot do this forever. There are not as many options as I was lead to believe. If you don’t want the bedside you are useless so therefore I need to make plans to escape. I have thought about numerous options. I like healthcare but not direct patient care. So I’ve thought about going for RHIT or RHIA, which would mean going back for a either an A.S. or B.S. in health information technology or management degree to be able to sit for those certifications. I’ve thought about becoming a certified in medical billing and coding through a short-term program. I hear coders are needed and can make salaries comparable to nurses. I’ve thought about masters in MSN, MBA, MPH, informatics and Healthcare Admin. Informatics and technology interest me a lot since I am more introverted and like healthcare and computers. However, I am very leary about running back to school for an advanced degree because there’s no guarantee in getting a job plus experience is paramount anyways so then the degree seems obsolete. I refuse to go into debt for high hopes especially when you gotta put your nose to the grindstone anyway . I’m not interested in teaching. I’ve even thought about pursing other degrees in PT, OT, SLP, rad tech, med tech, respiratory….basically anything to get away from nursing. I know I sound like I need career counseling but this whole career thing has been the biggest pain in my ass my entire life. Ultimately I would like to focus on creating multiple streams of income and investments and not depend entirely on a job to provide. Any thoughts appreciated in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (251) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

discouragedstudent in Lawrenceville, Georgia

24 months ago

FindingMe in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I would greatly appreciate some advice. I already have regrets so I am just trying to make the best of the situation I’m in now. I am 28 yrs old. Got my A.D.N in 2010 and went straight to do the RN-BSN and completed that in 2011, which I regret now, however I didn’t go into debt for it. I’ve been an RN (ICU) for 2 yrs and I absolutely hate it. I just cannot do this forever.

FindingMe,
I was looking into going into nursing, can you please share what made you decide to change your mind? Have you tried switching to a different department other than ICU? I've been to ICU just as a visitor and hate it (primarily because the thought that everyone is on life support there or are dying.) But it's not death itself that bothers me, it's "the way there." So I know if I went to nursing school and got stuck there I'd be miserable. Anyway please share your experiences if you don't mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Jelly Brah in Nashville, Tennessee

24 months ago

@FindingMe: I didn't like nursing either; I found it depressing that I could not do more for patients. Went to PA school, and now get to specialize and see healthy and sick people. I also get to do a lot more for patients (i.e. prescribe treatments). I don't do any bedside work, so you this may interest you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

cynicaldreamer1 in Jacksonville, Florida

16 months ago

I have been a nurse since 1999, first as an LPN, then got my RN in 2004. I was a stay at home mom for a few years until my physician (here's the cliche) husband left me for another physician he works with. I have tried to go back and it's just not for me anymore. It is backbreaking work and nurses do everything and are expected to do more. We have to know everyone's job who is involved in the care of the patient, and still be responsible for our own. We take the blame when anything goes wrong and get no praise when it goes right, because that's our job.
I am considering other options as I complete my BSN. I have lived on student loans so I will be coming out of school even more in debt. I am getting the Bachelor's because if I even want to be considered for a sales job, the Bachelor's is a must or they won't even look at you.
I just don't know what the answer is. I'm burnt out and want something entirely different. Let me know if you've found your path, and what led you to it....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (103) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

ImmaRNnow in La Quinta, California

16 months ago

Later in life (mid 50's now) I decided to go back to school for nursing. I just graduated recently and became licensed. I feel very good about this accomplishment and have been frustrated trying to find a job as a new grad and have now been offered a job as a nurse auditor in a hospital. It's honestly scarey knowing how much an RN is responsible for on the job in patient care, and at the same time it's a "feel good" profession, or at least that's how I feel. Stumbling across this auditor position without ever working in patient care makes me wonder if I'll miss something if I decide to continue as an auditor. The auditor pay is good, the hours are great, and nobody yells at me...no potential needle stick injuries..etc. From reading these posts I'm starting to feel less like I may be missing something and more grateful that this job opportunity fell into my lap. So my comment to the poster if she's still currently reading, there are many other opportunities out there for you with your RN degree/license. Auditing, quality....to name a few. Wherever you are, I hope you've found a renewed sense of purpose for your degree/license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (81) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

cynicaldreamer1 in Jacksonville, Florida

16 months ago

findingme in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: To cynicaldreamer1, I'm the original poster, if you leave your email I can email you. Thanks for all the advice, non-nurses will not understand most of what is said here. I appreciate the suggestions. to the last poster, I think you will thank yourself for choosing the auditor position or all the reasons you listed. Goodluck and thanks for your comment.

Hi. My generic email is cynicaldreamer1@yahoo.com. I check it occasionally. How is the decision making going?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

lucyshoes in Grand Rapids, Michigan

15 months ago

cynicaldreamer1 in Jacksonville, Florida said: Hi. My generic email is cynicaldreamer1@yahoo.com. I check it occasionally. How is the decision making going?

Hello FindingMe, & others. I have been devastated and disillusioned by nursing, even after obtaining the BSN. I completely understand where FindingMe is coming from. It is exhausting thankless work, and is ultimately the blame profession of ages. No matter how hard I work, care and give and do, management always demands more, it is never good enough. Nurses are treated like children, just a means to the financial end of the institution(s). I too assumed I was entering a respected and respectful profession. I was hoping the advent of "evidence based practice" would produce autonomy and a chance to let critical thinking win out. Not so, thus far. Its posturing, mostly. At any rate, I was thinking along the lines of NP, or case management, virtual /remote nursing and/or case management. What does it take to get into this line of work? They all want "experience", but I am "stuck" in the bedside area. Any ideas? Suggestions? I have managed a project during my degree, even had some case mgmt experience 6 years ago when working for home health care (which that company no longer is around, as owner retired & sold it). Any suggestions on veering along a technical path or case management path?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ktofkc

13 months ago

ICU is stressful and I am sure you would get burned out. I think you should really think about what got you into nursing and think about all the people you have helped.There are opportunities out there when you have a bsn. Maybe you need a new setting in nursing,and counseling would be great to get into.Mainly it sounds like you need to be uplifted and inspired.Obiviously, nursing must be something you are passionate about because otherwise you would have not gone through all the schooling just because you wanted a bigger paycheck.Stick with nursing,change your attitude,and find inspiration. I may just be an nurse assistant but I do know a thing or two about being burned out.It's easy to quit,and it's easy to be negative but it's not easy to stay positive. That is why you have to keep working on it. You will be amazed how much can change around you when you change your attitude.Get involved in a cause, go volunteer somewhere,teach new cnas how to give quality care,and know that even with counseling you will have to talk to people. You don't have to be stuck in a hospital for fear you won't get all the experience you need. You have the education, and the opportunity of now to do something amazing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (55) Reply - Report abuse

AnotherSource in Seattle, Washington

13 months ago

Another use of your nursing skills is Health Care Case Management. Here is a job description we have posted: hire.jobvite.com/CompanyJobs/Careers.aspx?k=Job&su=fZt9Vfwg&c=qn29Vfwd&j=oiJBXfwj&s=Indeed

I am sure there are positions of this nature in OK!

Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Patricia Sam in Oakland, California

12 months ago

40 years in nursing. Get out while you can. Very abusive. The profession will never change.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (181) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lucyshoes

12 months ago

Thank you ktofkc for the positive words. I am moving on in another position, I took a leap of faith, so to speak. I will take your encouragement to heart. thanks again. Also will check into it, Another Source, thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Biffbradford in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

12 months ago

After 15 years of ICU, I've had enough. I can recover patients from open heart surgery of any kind, deal with strokes, heart attacks, take care of the sickest patient in the hospital ... but does any of this carry over outside of the hospital? Pfffft! Not without MORE college education. Not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

yosoyhermosa in Clemson, South Carolina

12 months ago

I would check on becoming a Nurse Practitioner, especially with you living in South Carolina. It varies from state to state, but a Nurse Practitioner is authorized to do more than a PA in South Carolina.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

keriwhit in Winter Park, Florida

11 months ago

I've been an ASN nurse for 17 years-started in ER, then moved to diagnostic cardiology (stress testing) within a physician practice. I left cardiology in 2006 when I landed a job in pharmaceutical research-and I was excited at the prospect of working in such a scientific realm. However, I was laid off 2 weeks ago after 7 years due to company restructuring. Some things I learned working in research: first-it is really ALL about the money. Integrity takes a back seat to profits alot of the time. Unfortunately, this mentality affects most of the physicians who participate in research. Second-as a research nurse, you have to forget what school taught you about questioning care plans dictated by physicians, even if you KNOW their decisions may contribute to an adverse outcome. SO....as I sit here now and look at other careers within nursing, it's looking more and more like I'll not get very far without an advanced degree. Truthfully, I have no desire to go back to school, but would not be opposed to becoming certified in a specialty IF I decide to even stay a nurse. Aside from Case Management or Legal Nurse Consulting, are there any other specialty certifications out there worth obtaining?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Keely in Chicago, Illinois

11 months ago

ImmaRNnow in La Quinta, California said: Later in life (mid 50's now) I decided to go back to school for nursing. I just graduated recently and became licensed. I feel very good about this accomplishment and have been frustrated trying to find a job as a new grad and have now been offered a job as a nurse auditor in a hospital . It's honestly scarey knowing how much an RN is responsible for on the job in patient care, and at the same time it's a "feel good" profession, or at least that's how I feel. Stumbling across this auditor position without ever working in patient care makes me wonder if I'll miss something if I decide to continue as an auditor. The auditor pay is good, the hours are great, and nobody yells at me...no potential needle stick injuries..etc. From reading these posts I'm starting to feel less like I may be missing something and more grateful that this job opportunity fell into my lap. So my comment to the poster if she's still currently reading, there are many other opportunities out there for you with your RN degree/license. Auditing, quality....to name a few. Wherever you are, I hope you've found a renewed sense of purpose for your degree/license.

Yes, feel grateful you found an auditing job. Nursing is a thankless job. Over worked, understaffed, not appreciated, underpaid. No lunch breaks, let alone the 15 min. breaks, both of which we are all entitled to under labor laws. But know one cares. In my first week of going back to the floor in a LTC facility, I lost 6 pounds, and realized when I got home after working 10 hour days I had not gone to the bathroom since I had gotten up at 4:20am. Is it ant wonder nurses are one of the most unhealthy work forces? Can you say BURNT OUT? Yep that's me. I want out and quick! It is jeopardizing my own physical andental health.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (71) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lucyshoes in Grandville, Michigan

11 months ago

Kudos to the new auditor! Yes be thankful indeed. I've had yet another day of verbal assault at work. Tends to wear on a person, and I don't recommend bedside/chairside nursing to ANYone anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tutulisewa in Rio Rancho, New Mexico

11 months ago

Hello out there, I am a Patient Care Tech (CNA)in one of the local hospitals here in town. I've been doing this for 2 1/2 years. I was planning on going to nursing school, but now am burned out myself and disgusted at the way the nurses are treated. In my experience as a tech, I see what the nurses go through, and how their work goes. They are everything posted above, and then some. I am so unhappy, stressed out, and disrespected, as well as the nurses. The nurses don't only administer medications, wound care etc. We are always short staffed with nurses leaving, with a high turn around. We all work long 12's, and sometimes go home crying, I've seen nurses hiding around the corner or bathroom in tears. We are all shorthanded, and are overloaded with patients. It is an emotional, and physical stress we have to take home. As for me, I'm sick of patients, and their families disrespecting me, and some even have the guts to go to the charge to make up lies about me, and then I'm blamed..even though I kiss everyone's butt, and are xtra nice to ones who treat me bad. Sometimes, I'm verbally abused by patients, and even hit, and almost bit by patients. I'm so exhausted and my husband has gotten used to my silence when I come home, and emotions. I'm no longer pursuing a nursing career, as you guys can only tell how I goggled opinions on how one is questioning nursing. I can see how OT's, PT's, SLP's, and RT's, and Radiology techs look so pleasant, because they can move around from patient to patient without worries. I even question them about how they like their career, and I made up my mind to achieve a Radiology Tech associate degree. Good luck to all of you, as I remember my RN Aunt who h20 something plus years telling me "why do you want to become a nurse". I'm truly grateful that I have experienced first hand the nurse tech experience. I hope you find what your looking for. God bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

AngelaBrooks

10 months ago

Hello I understand where you are - that was me. I have 25 years in nursing and I wanted out! I am not teaching other burntout nurses how I did that and retired my nursing job to work from home in a business that makes more than my nursing did or would have. Would love to connect. Let me know if I can help there is more to life after nursing:)
Angela
Angelabrook.com

FindingMe in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I would greatly appreciate some advice. I already have regrets so I am just trying to make the best of the situation I’m in now. I am 28 yrs old. Got my A.D.N in 2010 and went straight to do the RN-BSN and completed that in 2011, which I regret now, however I didn’t go into debt for it. I’ve been an RN (ICU) for 2 yrs and I absolutely hate it.[/QU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Me

10 months ago

Nice plug for your 'business'.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Did in Altamonte Springs, Florida

10 months ago

Dog grooming. Been nursing, been cath lab as cardiopulmonary. Hated it everyday but was very good. I bought a small grooming shop, worked it less than six months. I don't ever go in except to show face and remind that there is a boss. As long as my weekly income tracks correctly, it's a hands off steady, very sufficient stream of income. I've been in this 6 years and have never regretted one moment.it requires only good people management and of course an aptitude to understanding grooming. The sky is the limit as far as income. This allows me to do whatever I want. Think about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

Did in Altamonte Springs, Florida said: Dog grooming. Been nursing, been cath lab as cardiopulmonary. Hated it everyday but was very good. I bought a small grooming shop, worked it less than six months. I don't ever go in except to show face and remind that there is a boss. As long as my weekly income tracks correctly, it's a hands off steady, very sufficient stream of income. I've been in this 6 years and have never regretted one moment.it requires only good people management and of course an aptitude to understanding grooming. The sky is the limit as far as income. This allows me to do whatever I want. Think about it.

Wow! I envy your oomph to do what you love and be successful at it. Have had the same idea tugging at me since being laid off. I guess what is the scariest to me is leaving a profession that seems so rock solid to make a go at something completely on the other side of the spectrum. But, for anything to succeed, you have to go all in-all the time. Kudos to you for making that happen. I've also learned that really NO JOB is locked in forever. Anything can happen, to even the most seasoned of professionals, in any position. May as well spend your time working at what feeds your soul.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

FM in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

10 months ago

Did in Altamonte Springs, Florida said: Dog grooming. Been nursing, been cath lab as cardiopulmonary. Hated it everyday but was very good. I bought a small grooming shop, worked it less than six months. I don't ever go in except to show face and remind that there is a boss. As long as my weekly income tracks correctly, it's a hands off steady, very sufficient stream of income. I've been in this 6 years and have never regretted one moment.it requires only good people management and of course an aptitude to understanding grooming. The sky is the limit as far as income. This allows me to do whatever I want. Think about it.

Thanks for your comment. Glad to hear this has worked out for you. It's been a thought of mine to go into this arena as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

Nurses are always always always under an underlying anxiety at work. ALWAYS. I've done cath call on and off since 1989. Cath lab was the only nursing I could stand. Now they do damn pacemaker inserts in every cath lab, I just can't stand the nursing paperwork on top of keeping patients alive. And nurses are mean to each other and every other discipline it seems to me because they are ALWAYS stressed. Uh no thanks, no more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

I'm close to purchasing a second grooming facility, but this one has daycare and boarding. I will far exceed the money I made nursing with faaaaar less hours and stress. With just my one shop which I am basically absentee owner I already make more than I did as an RN, RCIS. There IS money in business. Don't necessarily have to invest more money into more education. Depends on what you want. I dislike school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

With your RN it allows us to risk other ventures if your heart isn't happy in nursing. It's why I went into the field. Always a fall back career for me now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Me

10 months ago

Consider yourself fortunate. I've quit nursing twice, fell on my ass twice, now begging to get back in. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

Me said: Consider yourself fortunate. I've quit nursing twice, fell on my ass twice, now begging to get back in. :(

Here's a thought-when you were in nursing, did you specialize? Do you have invaluable experience in any areas where you could consult? Really, anything...management, staff training, risk, etc.... I'm actually going to try my hand at it-not promising myself anything grand, but I'm gonna try. Had my first "assessment" today with a physician who is doing research, and needs help organizing and tidying up his trials. I haven't any idea how to "consult" as a living, but I'm gonna pull on every friend/business acquaintance that I can think of who can help me with things to consider and how to charge for my services. This line of work would also open you up to be able to do things at YOUR schedule (mostly), and you'll still have time to live/enjoy your life, and not get to the point of burnout just for a paycheck. But, its success will be determined by how hard you work at it (as are most things). Good Luck, "Me"... :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lucyshoes in Jenison, Michigan

10 months ago

keriwhit in Winter Park, Florida said: Here's a thought-when you were in nursing, did you specialize? Do you have invaluable experience in any areas where you could consult? Really, anything...management, staff training, risk, etc.... I'm actually going to try my hand at it-not promising myself anything grand, but I'm gonna try. Had my first "assessment" today with a physician who is doing research, and needs help organizing and tidying up his trials. I haven't any idea how to "consult" as a living, but I'm gonna pull on every friend/business acquaintance that I can think of who can help me with things to consider and how to charge for my services. This line of work would also open you up to be able to do things at YOUR schedule (mostly), and you'll still have time to live/enjoy your life, and not get to the point of burnout just for a paycheck. But, its success will be determined by how hard you work at it (as are most things). Good Luck, "Me"... :)

This sounds like a fabulous opportunity. Can you let me know how it goes? I am inadvertently trying to specialize, in a dialysis field, working in a clinic I am currently clinical manager right now. I am thinking certification in Renal therapies or Renal Nursing could be valuable. Let me know how this goes for you, and how you found such an opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kkorvette in Apopka, Florida

10 months ago

FindingMe in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I would greatly appreciate some advice. I already have regrets so I am just trying to make the best of the situation I’m in now. I am 28 yrs old. Got my A.D.N in 2010 and went straight to do the RN-BSN and completed that in 2011, which I regret now, however I didn’t go into debt for it. I’ve been an RN (ICU) for 2 yrs and I absolutely hate it. I just cannot do this forever. There are not as many options as I was lead to believe. If you don’t want the bedside you are useless so therefore I need to make plans to escape. I have thought about numerous options. I like healthcare but not direct patient care. So I’ve thought about going for RHIT or RHIA, which would mean going back for a either an A.S. or B.S. in health information technology or management degree to be able to sit for those certifications. I’ve thought about becoming a certified in medical billing and coding through a short-term program. I hear coders are needed and can make salaries comparable to nurses. I’ve thought about masters in MSN, MBA, MPH, informatics and Healthcare Admin . Informatics and technology interest me a lot since I am more introverted and like healthcare and computers. However, I am very leary about running back to school for an advanced degree because there’s no guarantee in getting a job plus experience is paramount anyways so then the degree seems obsolete. I refuse to go into debt for high hopes especially when you gotta put your nose to the grindstone anyway . I’m not interested in teaching. I’ve even thought about pursing other degrees in PT, OT, SLP, rad tech, med tech, respiratory….basically anything to get away from nursing. I know I sound like I need career counseling but this whole career thing has been the biggest pain in my ass my entire life. Ultimately I would like to focus on creating multiple streams of income and investments and not depend entirely on a job to provide. Any thoughts appreciated in advance.[

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kkorvette in Apopka, Florida

10 months ago

I am a burned out Nurse approaching retirement. I do not feel that I could recommend this job to anyone unless it was done independently. good luck with all your endeavors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No Reply - Report abuse

nursenomore in scappoose, Oregon

10 months ago

I have been out of hospital nursing for 18 months and have not been able to find a job. I have easily submitted 5-15 applications a week for the last year. It seems, once you're out of nursing for more than 6 months, as a nurse, you are not marketable. I have been told that by numerous agencies, temp placement companies and hospital recruiters. I would never have imagined after 28 years of nursing, 6 months of inactivity negates all my experience. ATTN: all you who say you can't go on in nursing; keep your foot in the door until something better comes along. I have a small home business which is struggling and I figure I have 2 more months before my savings runs out and I lose my home. If anyone could recommend career options after nursing, I'm listening. Obviously I don't have money to go back to school and I am over 55 so starting anew would not be financially feasible or practical. Any suggestions for an old nurse welcome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Me

10 months ago

With the government finally pulling their head out of the sand, a few more hospital positions have opened up this past week around here and I'll be one of the hundreds applying for them. :^) After that, I'm going to take a crack at yet another make money from home idea I have that will keep me eating at least!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

AngelaB in Cadiz, Kentucky

10 months ago

Business - Nursepreneuer

Cando in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: This question is or hardworkingnurse in Spring TX-so what career would you get into instead of nursing? I always find it interesting when nurses do not like their career-you realize your profession is one of the highest paid and has the most jobs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

Burnout is why I am retiring 2 years early

kkorvette in Apopka, Florida said: I am a burned out Nurse approaching retirement. I do not feel that I could recommend this job to anyone unless it was done independently. good luck with all your endeavors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Me in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

10 months ago

Has the most jobs? They aren't being filled! Why is it that so many nurses are looking for work?? Because employers would rather run their units at bare minimum staffing! Has the most jobs .... pffft.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

Me said: With the government finally pulling their head out of the sand, a few more hospital positions have opened up this past week around here and I'll be one of the hundreds applying for them. :^) After that, I'm going to take a crack at yet another make money from home idea I have that will keep me eating at least!

Let me know if I can help. I have been down that road

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

worstcareerchoiceever

10 months ago

nursenomore in scappoose, Oregon said: I have been out of hospital nursing for 18 months and have not been able to find a job. I have easily submitted 5-15 applications a week for the last year. It seems, once you're out of nursing for more than 6 months, as a nurse, you are not marketable. I have been told that by numerous agencies, temp placement companies and hospital recruiters. I would never have imagined after 28 years of nursing, 6 months of inactivity negates all my experience. ATTN: all you who say you can't go on in nursing; keep your foot in the door until something better comes along. I have a small home business which is struggling and I figure I have 2 more months before my savings runs out and I lose my home. If anyone could recommend career options after nursing, I'm listening. Obviously I don't have money to go back to school and I am over 55 so starting anew would not be financially feasible or practical. Any suggestions for an old nurse welcome.

I, too, have been in nursing for 27 years and after years of physical, verbal, and mental abuse took a nursing job outside acute patient care. I have been in a so-called "occupational health" position for three years. While in this position I decided to return to school and complete my BSN. After realizing this job was a joke (I do nothing that real occupational health nurses do)I began looking for another job only to be told I have been away from the bedside and out of the OR for too long. I was also bamboozled while in school with false hopes of all the fantastic job opportunities which would await me after completing my BSN. If you don't have at least 5 years of current experience in anything you are useless as a nurse. Even with a BSN I am struggling trying to find another position as the longer I stay in this job the more unmarketable I become. I don't dare tell any prospective employer that I am 53 as that will really make me dead in the water. I need ideas for another career path.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

worstcareerchoiceever in Columbia, Maryland

10 months ago

All those ads in the media are very misleading. Nursing is not flexible and you don't have a plethora of job choices when you complete school or even after gaining a considerable amount of experience. Nursing is, in fact, very limiting. I still have to work for several more years and have found myself stuck in a dead-end nursing job with no promise of advancement. I just spent a ton of money on completing a BSN and still cannot find a decent job,especially one outside of patient care. I don't want to risk going back for a MSN only to be told I have no experience in any job I apply for. It's too late to start another career, especially one in the food industry. Any suggestions, tips, pointers would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

FM in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

10 months ago

THe last poster is right on. I believed the hype that there are endless opportunities in nursing. If you don't like one area, you can make plenty of lateral moves and yada yada. But if nurses are useless after being out of patient care for a short time, that says a lot about how limiting it really is. You are not valuable outside of patient care for awhile no matter the years of exp.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

As a 57 yo BSN RN with 28 years experience, I will be grateful to get a job at Dairy Queen. 18 months without an income really changes one's self perception. Then to be told repeatedly I've been out of hospital nursing too long to be considered employable (that started after 6 months!). . . let's just say, to claim I am a nurse now feels like a lie. My spouse and I are trying to get a home business going but that won't address the benefits like health care, retirement, etc. I would suggest finding a small niche business to start with minimal investment, and continuing the search for something in health care. Unfortunately, despite being a field where employee abuse is the norm, it pays better than most fields at an entry level. Luckily, we paid well ahead on our loans while I had a good income so there was a little cushion when the income stopped. TAKE A LESSON NURSES: pay ahead, save for a rainy day - or a big storm, volunteer or take a part time job in an area outside of nursing so when you are nearing retirement and the axe falls, or when burn-out happens, you have something else to fall back on. Besides that, working in an outside area such as retail or food service, helps maintain a balance in one's work life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

The BSN will help you advance in your present position to a more supervisory or management position but I have not found the degree alone opens any new doors for me. It's the 'experience' plus the degree they want. It may not be too much of a jump to go to Industrial Nurse or some community health/rehab area of nursing. If I had the money I would return to school for Nurse Educator or Health Care Informatics. As it is, I can't go into a specialty area with paying big $$ for some specialized training or advanced degree. My specialty was PACU - 12 years, Intensive Care - 15 years. Now I would be happy to get a med/surg position on the night shift.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

All the hospitals are using the same mantra, out too long. They don't want to pay us experienced nurses. It's scary, new nurses taking care of patients on an orthopedic floor with all new nurses. Scared me half to death after my hip surgery. But if this travesty of obamacare stays, worry not. Once again jobs will be falling from trees. 36 million more insured. They'll be screaming for nurses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

thank you, gives me a little hope

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Healthcare20735 in Clinton, Maryland

10 months ago

Have you tried contact White Coat Medical Staffing out of Southern,Maryland? They have real nursing jobs available. If you have 3-5 years of straight employment and a BSN, you shouldn't have a problem. Call and check with them to see what types of career advance openings they have in nursing. This company is thus-far the most trusted site for those looking for healthcare career jobs. If they do not have anything available that you are looking for they will tell you. All of their postings on their site are real jobs. Not just recruiting, they are real jobs. Give them a call. Tell them Sandy sent you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Healthcare20735 in Clinton, Maryland

10 months ago

I agree

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bella in Summerville, South Carolina

10 months ago

I think you should start a personal blog and just write about what is important to you or things you enjoy doing. You will, without effort, build a following of others who are just like you. And you can show them a way of channeling there energy into something constructive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

worstcareerchoiceever in Columbia, Maryland

10 months ago

Bella in Summerville, South Carolina said: I think you should start a personal blog and just write about what is important to you or things you enjoy doing. You will, without effort, build a following of others who are just like you. And you can show them a way of channeling there energy into something constructive.

That sounds nice but, I need a job which will bring in income relative to what I've been making as a registered nurse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lookingfornewcareer in Overland Park, Kansas

10 months ago

22 days ago
I'm close to purchasing a second grooming facility, but this one has daycare and boarding. I will far exceed the money I made nursing with faaaaar less hours and stress. With just my one shop which I am basically absentee owner I already make more than I did as an RN, RCIS. There IS money in business. Don't necessarily have to invest more money into more education. Depends on what you want. I dislike school.

How do you get into the dog grooming/doggie daycare business?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Hey in Minto, Australia

9 months ago

What happened to my post?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lorodz in Minto, Australia

9 months ago

I'm 28 years old and I have been In the industry for 5 years now. I am a highly specialized nurse, working in operating rooms. I am currently working as an operating room nurse in Sydney.
I can highly relate to the OP. nursing is such A stressful job! Although I have toughened it out about the back stabbing and women bitching (I have an I-don't-care attitude, I'm a male nurse by the way) the lack of career progression is bothering me. (I have a bachelors degree in nursing) I have seen nurses at work bragging, I have been in the profession for 10-20 years! Yet what they can do, I can do it too (caesarean procedures anyone?) the only thing that is differentiating us is the years of experience and that's it. Some of the nurses there are so unmotivated, it seem they're just there for the money. But when I go to work I am so enthusiastic and give my 101%. Management took notice and began placing me in highly specialized surgical procedures (orthopedics joint replacements) they are even accelerating my position from junior nurse to a scrub nurse that can independently run surgical lists. For me it is exciting and thrilling. But at the end of the day, I'm just being paid at the same rate as those unmotivated nurses. Nursing lacks the merit system where big corporations give out I.e. performance bonuses.
When I finish my surgical list and have done a good job, management would just tell me: "see ya tomorrow! "Nothing else. I can continue working as a nurse now because I am young. What I am worrying about is the lack of promotions and recognition of a job well done. To this end I think nursing is a vocation. One must not get into the field if your only after the money. It will drain you.
And by the way, I finished a 4 year degree. I just can't fathom how surgeons treat us like garbage. (Some surgeons are nice though) To be a nurse, a 4 year degree is too much. I'm sorry to say this but any person with a common sense can do nursing.
I salute all the nurses out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.