NEW RN cant find job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (45)

RN in Modesto, California

55 months ago

Have you read the posts on the New Graduate Nurse thread ? You are not alone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

daniellejudith in Indiana

55 months ago

hey RN looking for job and RN in Modesto u can't find a job as a RN? gurlllllll, the military will hire you as a civilian if you don't want to come in as a soldier(which by the way you will come in as an officer if you decide to join) go to this website
www.cpol.army.mil/ under Home, click on the subtitle that says search for jobs. once there, scroll down to search criteria. you will see keywords. type in nurse. do not highlight general occupations. next, go to state, hold down the control button if you pick more than one state then go to applicant elgibility; click yes or not then click get results. you are in New york so i clicked on NY& jersey for you and positions popped up. i also clicked on Cali, only two came up. the VA also hires civilians. Not everyone is in the military. good luck. play around the website there is a lot of good information. good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Hinesville, Georgia

55 months ago

Even though military is hiring civilian nurses, they don't want new grads. Nurses have to have a minimum of 1 year experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

daniellejudith in Indiana

55 months ago

ohhh, sorry to hear that. one may try nursing agencies. i worked for nurse finders. i am not a nurse (cna, hha, mental health clinician)i do recall them hiring GN's. the pay wasn't like a RN, but it was better than CNA. i made anywhere from $12-20p/h depending on how far i wanted to travel. maybe nursing homes will hire? mostly LPN's are there, they may give GN's a chance. also prisons or jails may hire. what about the hospitals where you all did your clinicals? we hired GN's all the time, but it was behavioral health. many didn't stay long because they were afraid of patients. if all else fails, Uncle Sam will hire. i was in nursing school, but got activated with the national guard. it's been 7yrs active. kinda lost interest in RN, now want to go to school for pharmacist/socialwork. i come off active duty in may. i will start a pharmacy technician class in march(12wks 1day a week for 3hrs.cost is $649. schedule with military won't allow free retail classes) you may have to start as a pharmacy tech until you find something. you have the pharmacology class under your belt. most retail(walgreens,cvs,target,kroger,etc..) will give free tng. the pay isn't the greatest and they will probably hire just by seeing your RN degree. good luck, wish i could help more. i'll post if i come up with something

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

daniellejudith in Indiana

55 months ago

who are you telling to live more frugally to? noone here said that they don't know how to budget money. this is about finding a job as a RN. does that link have a virus on it? stick to the thread or start a new one....hey GN's just thought of another place that may help or may be able to give u all a lead and that is the red cross.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RN in Modesto, California

55 months ago

daniellejudith in Indiana said: hey RN looking for job and RN in Modesto u can't find a job as a RN? gurlllllll, the military will hire you as a civilian if you don't want to come in as a soldier(which by the way you will come in as an officer if you decide to join) go to this website
www.cpol.army.mil/ under Home, click on the subtitle that says search for jobs. once there, scroll down to search criteria. you will see keywords. type in nurse. do not highlight general occupations. next, go to state, hold down the control button if you pick more than one state then go to applicant elgibility; click yes or not then click get results. you are in New york so i clicked on NY& jersey for you and positions popped up. i also clicked on Cali, only two came up. the VA also hires civilians. Not everyone is in the military. good luck. play around the website there is a lot of good information. good luck

I'm not looking for a job daniellejudith. I'm not a new grad and I already have a job, but thanks anyway. I was letting the OP know she's not alone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

babykins in Manassas, Virginia

51 months ago

RN looking for job in New York, New York said: Im a a RN.I graduated May 2009 and passed my state board on July 2009.Since then, I haven't find a job and Im started to feel like maybe im never going to get any.I really would like to start working
,=. Sorry- I am an LPN -stumled on this site- I had a heck of a time getting hired at first. Unfortunately I di not have contacts so I had to get what I could. First job lested 2 weeks - nurses were awful -CNAs played all day -patients had a lot of bedsores, etc. Look up any place that you may want to work at first-the first place a nurse lost her license because a patient wheeled himself down the stairs and died ( JFK Edision Estates , Edision, NJ see the states ruling against nurse). My next was a jail. The gaurds beat an inmate and of course no one reported it- I did not see it but after the other LN screamed at me for one hour over something I did not do - I left. My nursing career is over because I hooked up ( out of desperation and lack of money ) with the wrong nursing homes. Listen to what the otehr nurses say and beleive them . Try volunteering first , make up an excuse (ie. service learning for a higher nursing degree)- you wont get a volunteer nursing position- but you may be able to make contacts. Dont just take anything-I ruined my career because the places were so horrible I had to leave. RNs have much more opportunity- see if you can volunteer with the disbled or hospital . Worse comes to worse - go back for your masters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

inki in cagayan de oro, Philippines

46 months ago

hey everyone! i'm looking for an employer who is willing to sponsor a working visa for me in the US.. i'm a registered nurse in the philippines with almost 4 years icu experience and still working as an icu nurse here in the philippines.I already passed NCLEX with california license,passed IELTS and CGFNS certified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

RNinDC in Baltimore, Maryland

39 months ago

inki in cagayan de oro, Philippines said: hey everyone! i'm looking for an employer who is willing to sponsor a working visa for me in the US.. i'm a registered nurse in the philippines with almost 4 years icu experience and still working as an icu nurse here in the philippines.I already passed NCLEX with california license,passed IELTS and CGFNS certified.

I think the US nurses need to be hired first. Sorry, thats just how I feel. If you have a good job there, I would keep it and wait until you can come in on a work visa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rn in Bronx, New York

38 months ago

Part of the reason why salaries for nurses may not be as high in a few is that these foreign nusres come here & are willing to to do more work for less.When the salaries derecrease, the foreign nurses will probably wish they had stayed in their countries, lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

caregiver job in Laguna Niguel, California

38 months ago

A great way to market your experience for free is to join the caregiver job network, it free and easy to join. You can check it out at www.caregiverjobnetwork.ning.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lillabella in Alpharetta, Georgia

36 months ago

So has anyone tried working for free for the one year that employers are requiring? Does a year of volunteering count? I would think if you offered to work for free or a REALLY low wage you might be able to "fudge" that you have a year's worth of experience. I feel like some money has got to be better than none and doing something, anything to keep your skills current and fresh is better than sitting at home. I realize that this is detrimental to nursing salaries across the board when there's people willing to work for free, but it's happening in EVERY profession, mine included, which is why I was thinking of pursuing an ADN (key word "was"). I actually lost my last medical office admin job when working for midwives because the "new manager" had come on board and agreed to work without pay until while she recovered the budget so that it could accommodate a better salary for her at a later time. Obviously she slashed and burned everything all of us had worked hard to establish as far as the atmosphere of the practice and the exceptional natural birth care that was being provided. It just doesn't pay to be caring in the health industry cause the practice was going under financially so the unpaid manager was all about how to save money including asking me to accept less when I was only making 13/hr.I have a degree and almost a decade of front office experience and I was making 13/hr. These jobs used to be REALLY easy to come by and pay up to 18-20/hr. So the bottom line for ALL INDUSTRIES is that to get work, you have to be willing to work for really low wages and perhaps even go without pay indefinitely to get a shoe in and get a job at all. IF I do decide to pursue an ADN, I'm prepared to have to work for free for at LEAST a year from what I've read. Seems like working for free gives you a competitive advantage, drives down salaries, and thus eventually eliminates the "wrong" people who got in if for the $ thus recreating the "shortage."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Average in Medford, Massachusetts

33 months ago

I've been told by one of my instructors that in major metropolitan areas, employers are looking for BSNs, not RNs. I'm not sure why, but it probably has something do with the near mystical reverence people over the age of 40 have for the college degree. Most of the individuals responsible for the actual actual hiring of new employees are over 40 and put the bachelor's degree on a pedestal. They believe it confers special powers or abilities but in reality a two year degree would be enough.

I encourage everyone to look up credentialism.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LN in San Antonio, Texas

32 months ago

daniellejudith in Indiana said: ohhh, sorry to hear that. one may try nursing agencies. i worked for nurse finders. i am not a nurse (cna, hha, mental health clinician)i do recall them hiring GN's. the pay wasn't like a RN, but it was better than CNA. i made anywhere from $12-20p/h depending on how far i wanted to travel. maybe nursing homes will hire? mostly LPN's are there, they may give GN's a chance. also prisons or jails may hire. what about the hospitals where you all did your clinicals? we hired GN's all the time, but it was behavioral health. many didn't stay long because they were afraid of patients. if all else fails, Uncle Sam will hire. i was in nursing school, but got activated with the national guard. it's been 7yrs active. kinda lost interest in RN, now want to go to school for pharmacist/socialwork. i come off active duty in may. i will start a pharmacy technician class in march(12wks 1day a week for 3hrs.cost is $649. schedule with military won't allow free retail classes) you may have to start as a pharmacy tech until you find something. you have the pharmacology class under your belt. most retail(walgreens,cvs,target,kroger,etc..) will give free tng. the pay isn't the greatest and they will probably hire just by seeing your RN degree. good luck, wish i could help more. i'll post if i come up with something

I've been working with Nursefinders as an LVN for 3 years. Now that I am a new GN, they told me that once I pass the NCLEX RN, I can no longer work for them until I have a year's experience as an RN. They said it is a liability issue. I guess there is a glut of nurses in this area, because everyone is requiring 1 to 2 years experience. It's very frustrating. And I have 8 years of med-surg experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mamo in Madison, Wisconsin

30 months ago

Average in Medford, Massachusetts said: I've been told by one of my instructors that in major metropolitan areas, employers are looking for BSNs, not RNs. I'm not sure why, but it probably has something do with the near mystical reverence people over the age of 40 have for the college degree. Most of the individuals responsible for the actual actual hiring of new employees are over 40 and put the bachelor's degree on a pedestal. They believe it confers special powers or abilities but in reality a two year degree would be enough.

I encourage everyone to look up credentialism.

BSNs who are registered are still RNs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

NKearney in Wake Forest, North Carolina

28 months ago

lillabella in Alpharetta, Georgia said: So has anyone tried working for free for the one year that employers are requiring? Does a year of volunteering count? I would think if you offered to work for free or a REALLY low wage you might be able to "fudge" that you have a year's worth of experience. I feel like some money has got to be better than none and doing something, anything to keep your skills current and fresh is better than sitting at home. I actually lost my last medical office admin job when working for midwives because the "new manager" had come on board and agreed to work without pay until while she recovered the budget so that it could accommodate a better salary for her at a later time. Obviously she slashed and burned everything all of us had worked hard to establish as far as the atmosphere of the practice and the exceptional natural birth care that was being provided. It just doesn't pay to be caring in the health industry cause the practice was going under financially so the unpaid manager was all about how to save money including asking me to accept less when I was only making 13hr.

O.k First of all, your office manager who agreed to work for free was very desperate. She's working "for free" until they get their "budget" under contol. She's a lunatic and letting these people take advantage of her. First of all, I gaurantee that "her" bosses are not going without an income, they still get patients in that office, thus still get paid some form of income. Seconly, she's going to be really hurt, b/c it's going to be up to her to innitiate when she's ready to get paid. They won't start it. Then she's goign to accept something lower than what she she should be getting. Karma is a b!tch, and it will come back to her. Slavery ended in 1864, it required that every employer pays their worker. I'm not working at no job for a year for free, I think it's even against law for an employer to ask that. I still need to eat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paula Littlefield in Johnstown, Ohio

12 months ago

ashhleighh in Atlanta, Georgia said: look on cirrusmedicalstaffing.com they have tons of nursing positions and you can look for anything in your area, or if you want to travel they can find positions for you there, as well. I work there, you can give me a call if you'd like and I can set you up with a recruiter! ahorak@cirrusmedicalstaffing.com

Do you have to have 1 year of experience in order to place someone?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Paula Littlefield in Mansfield, Ohio

12 months ago

I really ideally would love a hospital position, and am willing to travel up to 45 minutes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

No name in Berwyn, Pennsylvania

12 months ago

lillabella in Alpharetta, Georgia said: So has anyone tried working for free for the one year that employers are requiring? Does a year of volunteering count? I would think if you offered to work for free or a REALLY low wage you might be able to "fudge" that you have a year's worth of experience. I feel like some money has got to be better than none and doing something, anything to keep your skills current and fresh is better than sitting at home. I realize that this is detrimental to nursing salaries across the board when there's people willing to work for free, but it's happening in EVERY profession, mine included, which is why I was thinking of pursuing an ADN (key word "was"). I actually lost my last medical office admin job when working for midwives because the "new manager" had come on board and agreed to work without pay until while she recovered the budget so that it could accommodate a better salary for her at a later time. Obviously she slashed and burned everything all of us had worked hard to establish as far as the atmosphere of the practice and the exceptional natural birth care that was being provided. It just doesn't pay to be caring in the health industry cause the practice was going under financially so the unpaid manager was all about how to save money including asking me to accept less when I was only making 13/ hr .I have a degree and almost a decade of front office experience and I was making 13/hr. These jobs used to be REALLY easy to come by and pay up to 18-20/hr. So the bottom line for ALL INDUSTRIES is that to get work, you have to be willing to work for really low wages and perhaps even go without pay indefinitely to get a shoe in and get a job at all. IF I do decide to pursue an ADN, I'm prepared to have to work for free for at LEAST a year from what I've read. Seems like working for free gives you a competitive advantage, drives down salaries, and thus eventually eliminates the "wrong" people who got in if for the $ thus

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

No name in Berwyn, Pennsylvania

12 months ago

Not being disrespectful to you--but do you realize the HUGE difference between a ADN program vs. "medical office/transcriptionist"?

Hope you love chemistry, microbiology, anatomy & physiology, abnormal psych, sociology, statistics, oh--wait--those are only the PREREQ'S!!!!

Just an FYI--I have a B.S. Biology, worked in research, biotech and sales, BEFORE I started a ADN program...and my ass got whipped.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paula Littlefield in Mansfield, Ohio

12 months ago

I have my BSN, and not being disrespectful just factual, we started clinicals in our first year, which means I have had 4 yrs of hands on experience while the ADN program is 2 yrs...how can a Bachelor's degree not get you in easier without experience than an ADN with 1 yr? Im just frustrated that I look for a job like it IS my job after working so hard to get a degree in a profession that I LOVE! Argh!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sydney in Kalamazoo, Michigan

12 months ago

Paula Littlefield in Mansfield, Ohio said: I have my BSN, and not being disrespectful just factual, we started clinicals in our first year, which means I have had 4 yrs of hands on experience while the ADN program is 2 yrs...how can a Bachelor's degree not get you in easier without experience than an ADN with 1 yr? Im just frustrated that I look for a job like it IS my job after working so hard to get a degree in a profession that I LOVE! Argh!!

Because ADN programs still meet the same number of clinicals hours as a BSN program. You may have started earlier, but ADN level RNs still completed the same amount of hours in less time.
I also have BSN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

12 months ago

Paula Littlefield in Mansfield, Ohio said: I have my BSN, and not being disrespectful just factual, we started clinicals in our first year, which means I have had 4 yrs of hands on experience while the ADN program is 2 yrs...how can a Bachelor's degree not get you in easier without experience than an ADN with 1 yr? Im just frustrated that I look for a job like it IS my job after working so hard to get a degree in a profession that I LOVE! Argh!!

My friend graduated with an LVN over a year and a half ago and hasn't found a job. She says most places require the BSN now, experience or Spanish. So I dunno.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paula Littlefield in Mansfield, Ohio

12 months ago

Sydney in Kalamazoo, Michigan said: Because ADN programs still meet the same number of clinicals hours as a BSN program. You may have started earlier, but ADN level RNs still completed the same amount of hours in less time.
I also have BSN.

I've been looking everywhere, did you have any luck finding a job? So frustrated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sydney in Kalamazoo, Michigan

12 months ago

Nope. I graduated in 2010 and I've looked on and off for a few years now. I've been at home with my kids, so I haven't been seriously looking, but it seems like every job posting is looking for RNs of any level BUT with experience. It is frustrating. I feel like I will never actually work as an RN despite graduating from a good school with a BSN. GL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

No name in Berwyn, Pennsylvania

12 months ago

This scares me--I'm in first year ASN--will have 2 years clinicals, being told need a BSN to even be considered for a job! Am I wasting my time?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

No name in Berwyn, Pennsylvania

12 months ago

Average in Medford, Massachusetts said: I've been told by one of my instructors that in major metropolitan areas, employers are looking for BSNs, not RNs. I'm not sure why, but it probably has something do with the near mystical reverence people over the age of 40 have for the college degree. Most of the individuals responsible for the actual actual hiring of new employees are over 40 and put the bachelor's degree on a pedestal. They believe it confers special powers or abilities but in reality a two year degree would be enough.

I encourage everyone to look up credentialism.

It's due to hospital Magnet status.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

12 months ago

NKearney in Wake Forest, North Carolina said:

Yes, anyone who "works for free" is ruining the job market. The idea is if they work for free, they will get a job from it. Why should they pay someone who wants to work free? They just ruin it for everyone else!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Just Another LPN Seeking Work in Raritan, New Jersey

12 months ago

What thread link is for new graduates?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Just Another LPN Seeking Work in Raritan, New Jersey

12 months ago

daniellejudith in Indiana said: who are you telling to live more frugally to? noone here said that they don't know how to budget money. this is about finding a job as a RN. does that link have a virus on it? stick to the thread or start a new one....hey GN's just thought of another place that may help or may be able to give u all a lead and that is the red cross.

IN my state the Red Cross nurses were all volunteers, they only hire a few nursing supervisors. Most people join the RC to volunteer , and to get to see other parts of the country for FREE airfare.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Just Another LPN Seeking Work in Raritan, New Jersey

12 months ago

No name in Berwyn, Pennsylvania said: It's due to hospital Magnet status.

Which reduces a hospital's liability, and puts more burden on the BSN and RNs. Follow the money. Hospitals would rather have magnet status with new grad BSN/RN , than 25 year veteran LPNs. I would rather have the nurse with the most expereince

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Just Another LPN Seeking Work in Raritan, New Jersey

12 months ago

No name in Berwyn, Pennsylvania said: This scares me--I'm in first year ASN--will have 2 years clinicals, being told need a BSN to even be considered for a job! Am I wasting my time?

I think you are near Scranton, try working in a nursing home if you cant get a hospital job. In central NJ you need a BSN to get into a hospital

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Just Another LPN Seeking Work in Raritan, New Jersey

12 months ago

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana said: Yes, anyone who "works for free" is ruining the job market. The idea is if they work for free, they will get a job from it. Why should they pay someone who wants to work free? They just ruin it for everyone else!

I agree. Follow the money, it is all about making the rich richer, and the poor poorer. Nursing homes are being cut back to teh bare bones, group homes for the developmentally disabled are using food banks to supplement what little food they can afford . Its a rough world and getting worse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Just Another LPN Seeking Work in Raritan, New Jersey

12 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: My friend graduated with an LVN over a year and a half ago and hasn't found a job. She says most places require the BSN now, experience or Spanish. So I dunno.

The nursing students that I went to school with got their jobs because they were CNA at the hospital prior to getting an LPN , then RN license. To me I regret getting an LPN , because I cant work in a hospital , even as a receptionist. If you dont have a connection it isw very hard to get a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Just Another LPN Seeking Work in Raritan, New Jersey

12 months ago

RN in Modesto, California said: I'm not looking for a job daniellejudith. I'm not a new grad and I already have a job, but thanks anyway. I was letting the OP know she's not alone.

My nephew was in the Marines in Afghanistan. The superb training as a field nurse will be an asset when you come out of the service. That is if you dont get shot in the meantime over there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

USA Born LPN in Raritan, New Jersey

12 months ago

rn in Bronx, New York said: Part of the reason why salaries for nurses may not be as high in a few is that these foreign nusres come here & are willing to to do more work for less.When the salaries derecrease, the foreign nurses will probably wish they had stayed in their countries, lol.

I encountered the same thing. AT Somerset Medical Center, the daministartion told the Phillipion nurses that if they joined a union , the union would force them out ( which is a lie) . So there has never been a union at SMC. That is a major reason they like foreign born nurses- because the admin can push them around .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

12 months ago

Just Another LPN Seeking Work in Raritan, New Jersey said: To me I regret getting an LPN , because I cant work in a hospital , even as a receptionist. If you dont have a connection it isw very hard to get a job

My niece said the same thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Emvis in Garden Grove, California

7 months ago

RNinDC in Baltimore, Maryland said: I think the US nurses need to be hired first. Sorry, thats just how I feel. If you have a good job there, I would keep it and wait until you can come in on a work visa

im agree with you US nurses first, as we can see CA has plenty of foreing Nurses. Every hospital i stop by.. Why they keep giving Visa to foreings when there are so many nurses looking for jobs..CA is the One who fk u off .if you are new grad no job for u..because they keep getting international RN low salary and with experience..I will say Stop giving Visa to foreing... USA have to feed their people first..LOL..sorry but its the REALLYTY...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nan in Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania

7 months ago

Emvis in Garden Grove, California said: im agree with you US nurses first, as we can see CA has plenty of foreing Nurses. Every hospital i stop by.. Why they keep giving Visa to foreings when there are so many nurses looking for jobs..CA is the One who fk u off .if you are new grad no job for u..because they keep getting international RN low salary and with experience..I will say Stop giving Visa to foreing... USA have to feed their people first..LOL..sorry but its the REALLYTY...

Have to agree. Actually I thought I read somewhere that starting 2014 visas for foreign nurses would be limited. Trust me...it seems that there is no nursing shortage of RNs in the US...many grads cannot find jobs. Maybe the issue is pay...but lowering wages just lowers the bar for all of us. Good luck to all--it's rough out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

too true in Redmond, Oregon

7 months ago

Nan in Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania said: Have to agree. Actually I thought I read somewhere that starting 2014 visas for foreign nurses would be limited. Trust me...it seems that there is no nursing shortage of RNs in the US...many grads cannot find jobs. Maybe the issue is pay...but lowering wages just lowers the bar for all of us. Good luck to all--it's rough out there.

You don't want to know, but I just saw a job posting for an experienced RN job for 14.00/hr. Too many nurses is driving the wage down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nan in Malvern, Pennsylvania

7 months ago

too true in Redmond, Oregon said: You don't want to know, but I just saw a job posting for an experienced RN job for 14.00/hr. Too many nurses is driving the wage down.

Yep...I believe it! And guess what? Sad to say, but maybe as a non-BSN RN or even a BSN...you'd take that job! Because 1) it's a job; 2) uses your skills and 3) I've always heard that these days as an LPN/RN/BSN if you are out of work for a year or so, your "skills are questionable" and it's almost then impossible to get an interview, let alone a job. Any job is better than none, it's just sad to see it come to this :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nan in Malvern, Pennsylvania

7 months ago

I feel for you...just know that "even" an ADN is no piece of cake. Hope you like Chemistry, Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, lots of Psychology, Sociology, Statistics and math. Also HESIs/TEAS for admission to a program are like S.A.T.S. seem much more difficult. Regarding my program: A & P I & II pretty much weeds people out, then Nursing Fundamentals (Nus 101). I'm guessing 25%. You also have clinical rotations to pass, too. If you really want to pursue this...take those classes, pass, and work as a HHA/CNA first before investing lots of time, emotional energy and money! Becoming an LPN/RN/BSN is sooooo different from any other job...TRUST ME. I worked in biotech research, then biotech sales for pharma for 15 years prior to this. It's another animal all together. Lots of pressure, lots of stress. Get your "feet wet" before. This is one job that you really, really have to want to do well in school/clinicals...even then people flunk out...

Best of luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nan in Malvern, Pennsylvania

7 months ago

No name in Berwyn, Pennsylvania said:

I feel for you...just know that "even" an ADN is no piece of cake. Hope you like Chemistry, Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, lots of Psychology, Sociology, Statistics and math. Also HESIs/TEAS for admission to a program are like S.A.T.S. seem much more difficult. Regarding my program: A & P I & II pretty much weeds people out, then Nursing Fundamentals (Nus 101). I'm guessing 25%. You also have clinical rotations to pass, too. If you really want to pursue this...take those classes, pass, and work as a HHA/CNA first before investing lots of time, emotional energy and money! Becoming an LPN/RN/BSN is sooooo different from any other job...TRUST ME. I worked in biotech research, then biotech sales for pharma for 15 years prior to this. It's another animal all together. Lots of pressure, lots of stress. Get your "feet wet" before. This is one job that you really, really have to want to do well in school/clinicals...even then people flunk out...

Best of luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nan in Malvern, Pennsylvania

7 months ago

All I can say is...most of my ADN colleagues already had hospital jobs as CNAs/PCTs while going to school and working at the same time. Also, our HESI and NCLEX scores were usually 25% HIGHER than BSN programs in our state. Go figure?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MsRn in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

9 days ago

I am embarrassed to say this right now but hey, it is the truth so why not. I graduated with my BSN in May of 2012, since passing the nclex in July of the same year I began applying to all hospitals, health clinics, nursing homes, home health agencies, and correctional facilites all throughtout South Florida as well as Central Florida and have been very unsuccessful. I`ve been to only 5 interviews during these past two years, which they went well but they ended up hiring someone with more experience. Even old colleagues from school whose working as RNs tried to get me in where they worked and that too has been unsuccessful. I am really sick and tired of hearing "experience is required", someone must be willing to give me a job first in order to gain that experience. We all started from the same spot, a new grad looking for an opportunity. So why make it so hard for the next person that's also looking for that same opportunity. I have a child to feed and many more things to accomplish in life, just like many others and I really need a job.... im starting to slowly give up on Nursing, unfortunately. Lately, I have been looking into changing states but the only way I would make the move is if I am guranteed an employment opportunity there. Its been way too long to make a big move like that and still be unemployed next year. I love nursing, yes I do but how much longer can I take this???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.