I regret becoming a nurse...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 112)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Mark in Jackson Heights, New York

46 months ago

What about ObamaCare making more demand for nurses?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (38) Reply - Report abuse

candy863girl in Haines City, Florida

32 months ago

I'm also a new nurse, I graduated in September of 2011, then took my boards in November of 2011 and passed on my first try, then in January of this year 2012 I finally found a place that hired new nurses..........I got hired on the 1st of February and today is the 9th and I'm still not on the schedule nor am I working!!!!! Does it usually take this long for them to put me to work??? Or are they giving me the run around? Ps.It a nursing home

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Tankweti in Pleasant Valley, New York

20 months ago

Mark in Jackson Heights, New York said: What about ObamaCare making more demand for nurses?
Hi, I am a BSN graduated from well thought of school in my area in 2010, GPA 3.5. My fatal mistake was that I did not get a job as a CNA during school and now I cannot get hired by anyone. Apparently, hospitals want some pt care experience plus your license and will not give those who do not have BOTH any kind of a chance at all. I am now working P/T as a med transcriber in a small hospital which is an 80 mile round trip drive from my home. I did med transcription for years and this is what I have experience in; it seems all employers care about now is experience. So, after 4 years of school, I am back stuck in the same spot. I am in bad need of money so I am now scrambling for a random data entry job paying $9.25 per hour thru Manpower, competing with I don't know how many other people for 6 positions. It is a shame and a disgrace. As to the Obamacare question, I read in the magazine "The Hospitalist" which my facility subscribes to that there will be NO NEW HIRING OF PHYSICIANS, NURSES, OR OTHER PROVIDERS AND NO ADDITION OF NEW BEDS FOR THE ONSLAUGHT OF NEW PATIENTS THAT IS EXPECTED FROM OBAMACARE. Hospitals are already having lots of meetings on this subject and have been for several years. The consensus appears to be, since the new insurance will not pay well, that patients will be accepted into the hospital but will be discharged even faster than they are now. The first meeting of the day will be to convene and see who can be safely discharged (even if they have only been there for 1 day). Of course, hospitals are rolling the dice as to whether they might be liable for discharges that are way too early. But they have to take their chances or wind up closing their doors eventually. This will mean that these patients will be pushed out into either long term care facilities or home care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Diane in Riverhead, New York

20 months ago

This is a continuation of my above post....... The other nurse they have working there is a complete DISASTER, a LIABILITY, totally CARELESS, SLOPPY & makes mistakes on a daily basis. Now I feel that instead of covering up all the mistakes & just correcting the problems, I should have been on the phone with the "powers that be" every single day, snitching, tattling & telling them what was going on. That's what I get for being a "team player". You know, I'm an adult--don't lie to my face & insult my intelligence. Also, another reason I was given was "You were the last to be hired, so you're the first to go"--that was also a LIE. The other nurse they brought out was hired after me--in fact, she hasn't even been there one year yet. I am so bitter, angry & frustrated. I loved working there, I loved the job. I don't think I'll ever find another job like it. I am so confused because I don't know what happened, or why it happened to me. I never had any problems there. I'm just so upset & depressed. And to sit there while the administrator is encouraging you to get unemployment is a very odd situation.......and that's what happened. What am I supposed to do now? I've been a nurse for 25+ years, have a tremendous amount of experience, but no places are hiring where I live. Don't suggest "review courses"--they're a crock of bologna, just another money-making scam from the colleges. What are we, as nurses, supposed to do about this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Hannah in Riverhead, New York

18 months ago

Mama Bear LPN in Hollywood, Florida said: Obamacare is why there are no jobs I work home health but obamacare has killed all the agencies I used to work for 10 but obamacare cut the payments Ive actually had 3 pts who lost home health because medicare stopped reimbursing for alot of things and when they do its at a fraction of what it was. There were so many agencies asking me to work for them now NONE

No one should get into nursing obama is spending the medicare money even the poor who I worked with have it harder andoabama said it would be better but instead their premiums are higher and their copays have doubled and theyre hurting the most which the poor always does. They say theyre going to help them and now theyve lost so much it impacts their entire life because they live on fixed incomes which hasnt been raised in a long time and he is talking about reducing payments. And when the poor living in housing the housing takes their raise so they really dont get tyem when they do! Its the poor that pays the cost....so sad.

I'm not so sure that Obamacare is the issue here---the shortage of jobs for nurses has been going on a lot longer than Obamacare has been going on. Before Obamacare, reimbursements from insurance companies had been decreasing every year, and the number of illegal immigrants getting medical services that they didn't pay for has also increased exponentially. They use ED's like clinics, give fake names & addresses and don't pay the bill. They can't be tracked, so the hospital eats it & writes it off as bad debt. It's happening everywhere. So, facilities are running on skeleton staffing, and working the nurses to death. Nurses are also not retiring like they used to because they don't know if they can support themselves after they retire---so they keep on working, even though they shouldn't be. Things have changed so much in the 20+ years I've been a nurse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (78) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

18 months ago

Hannah in Riverhead, New York said: I'm not so sure that Obamacare is the issue here---the shortage of jobs for nurses has been going on a lot longer than Obamacare has been going on. Before Obamacare, reimbursements from insurance companies had been decreasing every year, and the number of illegal immigrants getting medical services that they didn't pay for has also increased exponentially. They use ED's like clinics, give fake names & addresses and don't pay the bill. They can't be tracked, so the hospital eats it & writes it off as bad debt. It's happening everywhere. So, facilities are running on skeleton staffing, and working the nurses to death. Nurses are also not retiring like they used to because they don't know if they can support themselves after they retire---so they keep on working, even though they shouldn't be. Things have changed so much in the 20+ years I've been a nurse.

Hanna, I agree with you! My last job was at a trauma hospital in a "sketchy" part of the city. The ED was like a clinic for some and the nurses weren't retiring because of changes to their pension. The cutbacks created so much more work for the RN's. It's stressful enough working in ICU as a nurse and the cutbacks increased that stress tenfold! ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: Hanna, I agree with you! My last job was at a trauma hospital in a "sketchy" part of the city. The ED was like a clinic for some and the nurses weren't retiring because of changes to their pension. The cutbacks created so much more work for the RN's. It's stressful enough working in ICU as a nurse and the cutbacks increased that stress tenfold! ;)

Not only nurses, but many other professions, are not retiring because their pensions have changed (not for the better), they now have to pay into their health care coverage (even after they retire), co-pays are a lot more than they used to be. I keep saying that in the not-too-distant future, there's going to be a revolution in this country. People are going to get to a point where they just can't do it anymore. It started with the "Occupy" movement, and the government & media made them all out to be lunatics, but they weren't. Who ever would have thought 20 years ago that a nurse wouldn't be able to find a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

Hannah in Riverhead, New York said: Not only nurses, but many other professions, are not retiring because their pensions have changed (not for the better), they now have to pay into their health care coverage (even after they retire), co-pays are a lot more than they used to be. I keep saying that in the not-too-distant future, there's going to be a revolution in this country. People are going to get to a point where they just can't do it anymore. It started with the "Occupy" movement, and the government & media made them all out to be lunatics, but they weren't. Who ever would have thought 20 years ago that a nurse wouldn't be able to find a job?

Yes...Almost all professions have suffered because of the negative changes to their pensions... :/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

18 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: Yes...Almost all professions have suffered because of the negative changes to their pensions... :/

10 years ago NYC was paying it's retirees a total of 1 billion dollars. Fast forward to today and it's about 9 billion the city is paying out.

People my age, I'm in my forties, will for the most part
be working till their 80's before they will be able to retire.

Catfish,

I know I'm being nosy, but what the helllll. Why the name Catfish and what is your occupation? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: 10 years ago NYC was paying it's retirees a total of 1 billion dollars. Fast forward to today and it's about 9 billion the city is paying out.

People my age, I'm in my forties, will for the most part
be working till their 80's before they will be able to retire.

Catfish,

I know I'm being nosy, but what the helllll. Why the name Catfish and what is your occupation? Thanks.

Catfish...inside joke ;) ...I also like to fly fish, terrible at it, but I really enjoy it! Maybe because I laugh really loud I scare all the fish away... :)
I was in the housing market (customer service manager) til the market went under. I was laid off from that job so I thought I'd try something with more "job security"...so I got a job at a hospital. I developed this project and basically when it was completed (and successful) I got laid off...again.... story of my life! :/

What about you...what's your occupation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

18 months ago

I actually live near Roscoe, NY. In 2011 Roscoe was voted number 1 fishing town in the USA. Fly fishing is really big up here.

But the funny thing is that when I would go to the Dept of Labor in 2011 there was this women who was entering names of people and addresses onto a website during a 2 week period. I don't know if it was legit or not but she was actually casting people's votes so we could be called the the Ultimate USA Fishing Town for 2011. Kind of fishy if you ask me.

My occupation is astronaut.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

unlucky in Orange Park, Florida

18 months ago

I am completely depressed about this entire nursing situation. I spent my last dime going to school, student loans are kicking in ,220 applications later, 9 months later after graduation and still nothing. My husband lost his job this week, we have a 6 month old baby, what next? Go to school some more? With what money? Go volunteer? Well that doesn't pay the bills. Soon, I will have to start working 2 jobs just to make ends meet, probably in some fast food restaurant or something. Nursing field is a complete let down and waste of time, unless you know someone to get into the field, its worthless. You are going against thousands of applicants, more and more adding to it each graduating semester.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ronda601 in Orlando, Florida

17 months ago

I am sorry to hear most of you are New grads and can't find work. I graduated in Dec of 98 and it took me about a year to find a good job but I was able to get a part-time job and a home health temp job in the mean time but it was very discouraging. And when you do get a good job or a bad one you usually have to deal with the preceptor from hell and good luck getting over that hump. My good job came with a good preceptor. An LPN who worked her way up to an RN and was working on the RN to BSN at last check.
Once you get that first break and get a couple years experience the field opens up. Advice. There are a lot of personality disorders in nursing, including physicians, managers and family members. In the beginning its kind of shocking how rude and mean people can be, then after a while you get to where you learn to snap back. Sometimes they leave you alone after that, other times they run and tell or write you up and the situation becomes more intolerable. The first few times I ran into these people I tried to avoid them. Transfer, quit and find a new job, ect. After a while, I just learned to deal with it as well as possible. So many people find it necessary to "tell you what you need to be doing, how to do it, or just don't do the job they were hired to do." All those situations bother me. And true, a handful of companies run the game by owning 100-150 hospitals. They are large chains so if you quit without notice or get fired because you get Satan for a nurse manager, you can be screwed. After 15 years, I love taking care of people but there is never enough hands to do the job you were trained to do and more and more demands fall on you as budgets get cut. Now the government want reimburse for hospital acquired infections, or poor customer service or too many patients being readmitted for the same thing they just left with. So we go to the pep rally to be told how to do our jobs better but we are always short of help, where are the new grads?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

psmom in Woodbury, New Jersey

17 months ago

Ok now you all have me trying to figure out what to do more than I already was. I will graduate in NJ with a BA not in nursing in Psychology/Humanities. But was thinking about going back to get my RN. I have went back and forth to get my RN and then let where ever I work pay for my BA in nursing. But am I really going to have an issue with getting a job. I thought this was the field to go into UGH!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

17 months ago

psmom in Woodbury, New Jersey said: Ok now you all have me trying to figure out what to do more than I already was. I will graduate in NJ with a BA not in nursing in Psychology/Humanities. But was thinking about going back to get my RN. I have went back and forth to get my RN and then let where ever I work pay for my BA in nursing. But am I really going to have an issue with getting a job. I thought this was the field to go into UGH!!

Nope. Nursing isn't the field to go into anymore. I'm a little confused about your post, though--you say you're graduating with a BA in Psych/Humanities, then say you went back and forth to get your RN. Are you an RN already? Are you thinking about getting your RN degree? My suggestion to you is if you want to go into health care, get into a physician's assistant program. That is the future of health care. No one ever thought that a nurse wouldn't be able to find a job---no one also ever thought that a box of cereal would cost $6 either. A physician's assistant program is 2 years--a constant 2 years, 24 months straight--and there are certain pre-requisites you have to have which I am not sure you took in your psych/humanities program. The pre-req's are mainly science-oriented: genetics, chemistries, statistics, microbiology. I don't know of any hospitals that pay for nurses to get their degrees anymore either---some hospitals used to pay for nurses aides to get their 2 year degree or pay for a 2 year degree nurse to get their BS. What I'd suggest is to go to beauty school, learn how to color hair & do highlights better than anybody else in New Jersey, and then buy a salon. I pay my hairdresser more for 2 hours than what I get paid for 2 hours!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Roberto in Statham, Georgia

16 months ago

Mark in Jackson Heights, New York said: Male nurses have easier time finding jobs.

I disagree with you. I find it is more difficult to find a job as a male here in the south.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Misswifie in Brooklyn, New York

15 months ago

Still Waiting in Cedar Grove, New Jersey said: It is bad of course..Its been a year since graduation and still cannot get a job.. The professor is being a jerk, they dont give a hoot because they have a job and all they are doing is taking students money and they cannot help with the job search process.. My goodness I had no idea it would be this tough. I have a New Jersey LPN license and applied also for New York.. If Im not able to find anything Im afraid Im gonna have to move out of state..This is getting way out of hand..OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't you do traveling nursing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Berwyn, Pennsylvania

15 months ago

This is scary...I start my clinicals this fall:(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

mroller

15 months ago

We are desperate for nurses - LPNs and RNs out here in rural Nebraska. If you want to get experience and have an adventure, look out west. Long term care is an excellent place to practice all facets of nursing. Because you all are living in urban areas, a depressed economy makes it a buyer's market. I work at Good Samaritan long term care in Alliance, Ne and we're hiring from all over. One of our newest nurses just came from southern California! Maurine

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Misswifie in Brooklyn, New York

15 months ago

Diane in Riverhead, New York said: The nursing situation on Long Island & in New York is abominable. I had an awesome job at a major, well-known & world-renowned dermatololgy practice for a year and 2 months, and got laid off in the beginning of February, 2013. The reason? "We didn't make as much as we'd hoped to". Meanwhile, for the year I'd been working there, everything was hunky dorey---making money hand over fist, smiles on everyone's faces, no problems. I got a stellar annual review with my customary 3% raise. This "layoff" came completely out of the blue, I was blindsided and now am going into a deep depression because the job options out here are slim to none. I got a letter when I was laid off that says "You're an excellent nurse. This has nothing to do with your nursing abilities." ?????? The same day they fired me, they brought a younger nurse out from the city office to replace me--in fact, their plan was to come out to the eastern Long Island office and fire me at 9am because they told the other nurse to be there at 10am (see, they didn't know that I was friends with the other nurse from the city......and I had already texted her that morning & she told me she was coming at 10am.), but they hit bad weather so they got there late. They planned to push me out the door before I had the chance to see the other nurse replacing me. It was a ruthless, mean & deceptive thing that they did. I asked the adminstrator TO HER FACE if they were bringing out the other nurse to replace me, and she looked me in the face and said "Oh, no---we just have too many nurses in this office." What a crock of sh** that was. There were 2 other nurses in that office besides myself. I was the most competent, careful, and conscientious nurse in that place. I covered for the other decent nurse when she made a mistake.

Its sounds like wrongful termination, no right to fire you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Unfortunately, New York is a "right to work" state----the employer can terminate you with or without cause. They can terminate you if they don't like how you cut your hair. So, I have no re-course. It really bothers me because I don't know why they did it. About 2 months before that, I got a great written annual review. The day they fired me, they sat there telling me what a great nurse I was, that it had nothing to do with my skills, that the doctor loved me, that I was competent, etc., and in their termination letter they said the same thing. They told me I could get unemployment. It was a very strange scene. With the job situation being what it is, the chances of getting a nursing job are slim. Now that there is another hospital closing its doors (Long Island College Hospital in Brooklyn), that will further flood an already flooded job market with nurses looking for jobs. I had an interview at a hospital on Eastern Long Island, & the nurse recruiter told me that I wasn't qualified for any of their posted jobs because I hadn't worked in a hospital in the last year. I was dumbfounded. I have been a nurse for 25 years. I have worked in big city hospitals & small community hospitals, nursing homes & doctor's offices. I have done agency work & travel assignments. The nurse recruiter suggested I take a nursing refresher course. I almost had to lift my jaw up off the floor. I'm no dummy---I have years of critical care, emergency department & PACU experience, and have a graduate degree as well. Rather than giving me a chance to show my competence, I was rejected for a stupid reason. As far as I know, the human body hasn't changed in a very, very long time. Physiology is the same. I know the pharmacology of medications. I know how to monitor invasive lines. And, while I was being interviewed, there was a new grad sitting behind me being interviewed & told that she didn't qualify for a job because she didn't have experience. It's unreal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

Daniel Hirsch in Minneapolis, Minnesota

15 months ago

Try unconventional nursing needs... cruise ships, theme parks...all need your skills!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

glittermama in Round Rock, Texas

15 months ago

I just had back surgery and was accused of HIPPA violations when I accidently caught fraud being condoned the homecare office I worked for. I had to call around forever to find out who to report it to since they went on the defense to CTA and then tried to scapegoat me. I have been told the Joint Commission should investigate if I send a letter but I also need to report the other nurses involved. This happened just before my surgery and I can't do the type of nursing I was use to doing anyway but I feel so stuck. They will come up with the craziest reasons to give shifts to newer nurses who don't know what they are doing or who just think homecare is playing on their computer and getting paid for it or getting extremely personal with the family and coming and going as they please and the company could care less because they just want to get paid for those hours also. It's getting very bad out there. The corruption in D.C. is trickling down and you only succeed if you are a back-stabbing liar willing to do anything for money including sending unqualified nurses to take care of children who usually have no voice ( literally ) since I worked with kids on traches meaning they usually could not talk. I can only hope to get a Dr. office job or learn to do some task where I can still be a nurse and help people but not have to do the physical part as much. A word to the wise for homecare nurses, if you walk into a home and something is just not right report it. If notes are missing, report it. If a nurse was suppose to be there to cover your shift then report it. People will do or say anything to not get caught letting these nurses say they are in these homes when they were not. Also I know insinuations that the family will be reported to CPS is also being used as a weapon against the parents if they say anything. Like in my case I was told straight out "I" was going to jail for fraud whenever tis nurse was caught. For whatever reason she was being protected.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

arielssister in victorville, California

15 months ago

Tankweti in Pleasant Valley, New York

5 months ago

"Hi, I am a BSN graduated from well thought of school in my area in 2010, GPA 3.5. My fatal mistake was that I did not get a job as a CNA during school and now I cannot get hired by anyone. Apparently, hospitals want some pt care experience plus your license and will not give those who do not have BOTH any kind of a chance at all. I am now working P/T as a med transcriber in a small hospital which is an 80 mile round trip drive from my home. I did med transcription for years and this is what I have experience in; it seems all employers care about now is experience. So, after 4 years of school, I am back stuck in the same spot. I am in bad need of money so I am now scrambling for a random data entry job paying $9.25 per hour thru Manpower, competing with I don't know how many other people for 6 positions. It is a shame and a disgrace."

It pays to do your research, I'm a research junkie!!!I was informed that within the next few years the state of California is going to follow suit and it will be mandatory for any Nursing hopeful to complete and pass the CNA Program to enter the Nursing Program. It's already common knowledge that you must have a min 1yr hospital setting experience before anyone will hire you. I was initially planning on going into the RT program but decided the RN was the better option. I met an RT who regrets not going into the Nursing program instead. She's been working for the state as an RT since 1994 and makes a mere $15.00/hr-CNA's make $13.00! Schools don't tell you this until after the second module and then they want you to sign up for their CNA program but you have to pay for it out of pocket!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mroller in Alliance, Nebraska

15 months ago

arielssister in victorville, California said: Tankweti in Pleasant Valley, New York

5 months ago

"Hi, I am a BSN graduated from well thought of school in my area in 2010, GPA 3.5. My fatal mistake was that I did not get a job as a CNA during school and now I cannot get hired by anyone. Apparently, hospitals want some pt care experience plus your license and will not give those who do not have BOTH any kind of a chance at all. I am now working P/T as a med transcriber in a small hospital which is an 80 mile round trip drive from my home. I did med transcription for years and this is what I have experience in; it seems all employers care about now is experience. So, after 4 years of school, I am back stuck in the same spot. I am in bad need of money so I am now scrambling for a random data entry job paying $9.25 per hour thru Manpower, competing with I don't know how many other people for 6 positions. It is a shame and a disgrace."

Come out to Nebraska; rural areas are begging for nurses. Spend a few years with us at Good Samaritan long term care in Alliance, get hands on experience in all facets of nursing and then go back to NY or CA (if you still want to). I've been recruiting RNs & LPNs from Colorado and California. We'd love to have you look at us! Maurine

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

NikkiC in San Antonio, Texas

14 months ago

I don't really have much to offer concerning nursing, I had planned to get a certificate for medical administration, and possibly move on to nursing at some point in the future. I am now doubting this would be a wise choice, and I am curious if medical admin is even a good option at this point? A few comments alluded to the assistant positions being a better option, would this also include administration or should I not waste my time? Times are hard, I have a child and am just looking for something I wouldn't hate that pulls in at the very least 20k a year. As many of you hear, I was led to believe the health care industry was the way to go for stability. Does anyone have any opinions on whether a certificate would be worth the time, or if I should go for an associates? Medical admin being an entry level position I assume a certificate would suffice, but maybe I am wrong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

NikkiC in San Antonio, Texas

14 months ago

I should add, it isn't JUST something I "wouldn't hate". I also generally enjoy helping people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Cincinnati, Ohio

14 months ago

I don't regret going to nursing school, however I'm very scared that I'm not going to be able to find a job before I have to pay back my student loans.

I just graduated with my BSN, passed my NCLEX the first time and have been applying like crazy with no luck. Not even one call back. Everyone wants experience but no one is willing to give it to you.

It just really sucks because now I'm stuck as a waitress when I'm much more qualified. I just feel like a failure and have just been so depressed the past few weeks. I'm not against moving, I think it would even be a fun adventure, but I'm just really scared about all the change and what to do next.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mroller in Alliance, Nebraska

14 months ago

Holly: don't be afraid of adventure! You are only stuck if you choose to stay where you are! Rural Nebraska is beautiful and we need nurses here at our nursing center! Change is always scary because it is new and unfamiliar. At Good Samaritan you'll get all the experience in all facets of nursing and in a few years you can always go back to Ohio, if you still want to! I came to Nebraska 35 years ago intending to stay only five years, but Alliance kind of wrapped itself around my heart and here I still am -- happy and fulfilled. If you want more info, contact me at mroller@good-sam.com. Maurine

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Priscilla in Boise, Idaho

14 months ago

Try St. Luke's Hospital in Boise, Idaho. They are hiring new grads with relocation packages too. Very good company to work for.

Good luck,

Priscilla.

unlucky in Orange Park, Florida said: I am completely depressed about this entire nursing situation. I spent my last dime going to school, student loans are kicking in ,220 applications later, 9 months later after graduation and still nothing. My husband lost his job this week, we have a 6 month old baby, what next? Go to school some more? With what money? Go volunteer? Well that doesn't pay the bills. Soon, I will have to start working 2 jobs just to make ends meet, probably in some fast food restaurant or something. Nursing field is a complete let down and waste of time, unless you know someone to get into the field, its worthless. You are going against thousands of applicants, more and more adding to it each graduating semester.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kimmy in Acton, Massachusetts

14 months ago

After reading all of your posts, I can just feel the disappointment and anger. I wanted to share my story with some of you, in the hopes that maybe it will help. I graduated nursing school in 1986 with a BSN. No problem finding a job back in the day, but I decided to go into the Air Force as a nurse. Flash forward to 2008, when the kids were all ready for college and I needed to go back to work. (i was out of work for 16 years , by choice, at that point_) Took a refresher course...no one was hiring and especially not someone without any "recent " experience. I did get a positive interview at the VA hospital, but did not want to do psych nursing so I started substituting as a school nurse in town. That eventually led to a permanent job in a school system , where i am a nurse in an elementary school. Talk about a good job!! summers and vacations off, benefits, M-F.,,,it worked out for me...and it can work out for you!! Do not get discouraged. Here is what helped me...a 40 something with no recent clinical experience(except for a nursing lab at the refresher course). 1. Military experience..(VA would have hired me), 2. push the "life" experience 3. Substitute nursing at a school (most schools are desperate for subs, pay isn't great, but it is a foot in the door). 4. Having a BSN. 5. I've also found that sometimes(maybe most of the time) it is not WHAT you know , but WHO you know. My DON at the school system i was subbing for knew DON that was hiring in another district and gave me a good (and personal)recommendation. 6. Network like crazy!!! Find someone to walk in your resume if possible. Online applications go in to no-mans land if you ask me!! Call and follow up. If you can, be willing to move to get experience. Be willing to start at the bottom. Volunteer for your town's shot clinics or disaster team or even in a hospital. Have you checked into nursing research or pharmaceutical companies?? Check the VA or gov't listings. Keep the faith!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

thinksolar@hotmail.com in Eugene, Oregon

13 months ago

I graduated 18 years ago and never have I experienced a "nurse shortage". Quite the contrary. I think the propaganda about the so-called shortage was to keep the market flooded and the wages down. I have PTSD from the years of abuse, bullying, favoritism and gross unfairness, not just directed towards myself but my team mates. The person who said "everybody and their grandma" is a nurse is correct. And you can't tell anybody anything. They all think there is something wrong with you and things will be different for them. I would have to say that the single most important thing in nursing is who you know. If you don't have connections, good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jaded in Eugene, Oregon

13 months ago

arielssister in victorville, California said: Tankweti in Pleasant Valley, New York

5 months ago

It pays to do your research, I'm a research junkie!!!I was informed that within the next few years the state of California is going to follow suit and it will be mandatory for any Nursing hopeful to complete and pass the CNA Program to enter the Nursing Program. It's already common knowledge that you must have a min 1yr hospital setting experience before anyone will hire you. I was initially planning on going into the RT program but decided the RN was the better option. I met an RT who regrets not going into the Nursing program instead. She's been working for the state as an RT since 1994 and makes a mere $15.00/ hr -CNA's make $13.00! Schools don't tell you this until after the second module and then they want you to sign up for their CNA program but you have to pay for it out of pocket!

It wouldn't matter if you had a CNA. One of my friends who lives in NY has her Masters and can't get work. People were led to believe there was a shortage. There has never been a shortage. If you are young, change professions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

No name in Berwyn, Pennsylvania

13 months ago

unlucky in Orange Park, Florida said: I am completely depressed about this entire nursing situation. I spent my last dime going to school, student loans are kicking in ,220 applications later, 9 months later after graduation and still nothing. My husband lost his job this week, we have a 6 month old baby, what next? Go to school some more? With what money? Go volunteer? Well that doesn't pay the bills. Soon, I will have to start working 2 jobs just to make ends meet, probably in some fast food restaurant or something. Nursing field is a complete let down and waste of time, unless you know someone to get into the field, its worthless. You are going against thousands of applicants, more and more adding to it each graduating semester.

Think out of the box? I received my RN--Associates Degree 2 years ago. I started my own Home Health Agency. Make way more than a hospital salary with 100% less hassle, plus I control my own hours.

Why do nurses think hospital jobs are the only and best nursing jobs???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Another no namer in Phoenix, Arizona

13 months ago

I would look into pharmaceutical or medical device sales positions. I have a friend who went thru nursing school only to learn she didn't like it or want to be a nurse. She got into medical sales because of her "nursing" background and she's been doing it now for 5 years. Don't know what medical sales jobs would be in your part of the country, and most of the time you're working out your home w/some travel to corporate for training or other purposes. Check it out, what have you got to lose other than your sanity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

No name in Berwyn, Pennsylvania

13 months ago

Holly in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I don't regret going to nursing school, however I'm very scared that I'm not going to be able to find a job before I have to pay back my student loans.

I just graduated with my BSN, passed my NCLEX the first time and have been applying like crazy with no luck. Not even one call back. Everyone wants experience but no one is willing to give it to you.

It just really sucks because now I'm stuck as a waitress when I'm much more qualified. I just feel like a failure and have just been so depressed the past few weeks. I'm not against moving, I think it would even be a fun adventure, but I'm just really scared about all the change and what to do next.

Work private duty...post an ad!

Nette in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

13 months ago

Jenny in Berwyn, Pennsylvania said: This is scary...I start my clinicals this fall:(

Hi Jenny...are you a Rn?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nette in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

13 months ago

No name in Berwyn, Pennsylvania said: Think out of the box? I received my RN--Associates Degree 2 years ago. I started my own Home Health Agency. Make way more than a hospital salary with 100% less hassle, plus I control my own hours.

Why do nurses think hospital jobs are the only and best nursing jobs???

Hello..I am a Cna...am I able to call you please?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

No name in Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania

13 months ago

I agree with you 100%. Especially about the "traditional" nursing job market being horrible. That's exactly why nurses need to think creatively...you can find something until your educational goals are furthered or your dream job comes along.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

J& J is Awful in Raritan, New Jersey

13 months ago

Julie in Marysville, Washington said: Boy DenimBlue I think you are 'spot on' and I I HATE THE "JOHNSON & JOHNSON - CAMPAIGN FOR NURSING" COMMERCIAL!!!! I

Johnson & Johnson spends millions showing that commercial - but only gives away a few thousand in scholarship money each year. I worked for them at Ethicon. They had a leak of ethylene oxide gas ( a carcinogen) but instead of finding the leak - they cut the warning alarms. Many of my coworkers are sick or DEAD because of their chemical exposures at J&J.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J& J is Awful in Raritan, New Jersey

13 months ago

Julie in Marysville, Washington said: Yah, they are still playing the "Johnson & Johnson" commercials here in WA state. Apparently our state is heavily recruiting more nurse educators, if I am understanding the announcement from the DOH correctly, they (the State) want to repay the educational loans that the educators have acquired if they will make a committment to teach for a given amount of time. I am all for promoting educating the masses.... but it is CrAzY when we finish and there isn't a job available!!!

I am begining to realize that colleges are like a business. They want to suck in as many students as they can , and of course their FAFSA loan money, but the product they offer ( a degree) is really not worth anything, since so many otehr nursing students hold the same degree. There are no nursing jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

USA Born LPN in Raritan, New Jersey

13 months ago

candy863girl in Haines City, Florida said: I'm also a new nurse, I graduated in September of 2011, then took my boards in November of 2011 and passed on my first try, then in January of this year 2012 I finally found a place that hired new nurses..........I got hired on the 1st of February and today is the 9th and I'm still not on the schedule nor am I working!!!!! Does it usually take this long for them to put me to work??? Or are they giving me the run around? Ps.It a nursing home

I had that happen in one job. I was left off the scheule for 3 weeks because when I was aksed I replied that the training nurse took a narcotic from another patient and gave it to this patient , because she did not have time to run downstairs to the PIXUS. I wasnt going to take the blame because something my trainer did. I wasnt called back for 3 weeks , in the midtime I found another job that strung me along a few months and then found others to work. There are just too many nurses out there- who bought the horse and cart like me, beleiveing it would be a way out of poverty. I am sorry I became an LPN so I dropped my license and am trying for a medical officer job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Sorry about my spelling in the last coment - keyboard messed up .

In most places I have worked I was the ONLY American born nurse.I am just getting so frustrated. The nursing homes wont even hire African Americans anymore! I am caucasion and work in an overwhelmingly white nursing homes. Some of the foreign born nurses are nice, but many are not. It seems that all the American born students , who became LPNs, are having a very difficult time finding work, while the foreign born ones (from our class) get the choice jobs. Now if I went to the Phillipines or India ,do you think I would get preference??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Julie in Marysville, Washington said: Yah, they are still playing the "Johnson & Johnson" commercials here in WA state. Apparently our state is heavily recruiting more nurse educators, if I am understanding the announcement from the DOH correctly, they (the State) want to repay the educational loans that the educators have acquired if they will make a committment to teach for a given amount of time. I am all for promoting educating the masses.... but it is CrAzY when we finish and there isn't a job available!!!

Dont forget the state will recieve all the student tuition, so maybe that is why they are opening more nursing classes up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Ronda601 in Orlando, Florida said: I am sorry to hear most of you are New grads and There are a lot of personality disorders in nursing, including physicians, managers and family members. In the beginning its kind of shocking how rude and mean people chains so if you quit without notice or get fired because you get Satan for a nurse manager,

I find working with other women the worse part of the job, but male nurses can be just as bad. I have quit many jobs due to fellow employee harassment, but if I ever get another LPN job, I will let them know that I will be suing if the harassment does not stop. Many murse are the spawn of SATAN! Loved your point of view. Refreshing and true !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Diane in Riverhead, New York said: The nursing situation on Long Island & in New York is abominable. I had an awesome job at a major, well-known & world-renowned dermatololgy practice for a year and 2 months, and got laid off in the beginning of February, 2013. The

Read the book "The Good Nurse"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Experience doesn't matter in Redmond, Oregon

12 months ago

The Pacific Northwest is having the same glut of nurses. The only RN jobs in Oregon are for relief in rural communities. One of my friends was laid off in Seattle and is still looking for work. Nobody could afford to move somewhere only working maybe one day per month. I am stuck here doing the same at least my significant other has a job. It doesn't matter if an RN has experienced there is just too much competition.

12 months ago

USA Born LPN in Raritan, New Jersey said:

Okay. I remember hearing about that guy----for some reason I thought he was from Long Island or Staten Island or something. Very crazy!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paula Flowers in Houston, Texas

12 months ago

We have lots of opportunities in Houston because we have a huge medical center, managed care, and insurance industry as well as pharma, medical device etc, the list goes on. Obama Care has not effected us. What effects most healthcare professionals as it did in the 1990s, the schools FLOOD THE MARKET, too many students, not enough placement. You have to look before you leap and we hire new grads. As far as lay offs, NO EMPLOYER LAYS OF THE GOOD EMPLOYEE AND KEEPS THE BAD. SORRY, UTMB in Galveston, laid off lots of employees after the hurricaine, but during the reorganization, placed them in temporary jobs/hospitals. After, they reorganized they only kept who they wanted and found a way to rid toxic, nonproductive employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

I graduated in 1989, and was hired by a major medical center in Manhattan over the phone, sight unseen. Today, everything is done over the internet & if you walk into a nursing office in a hospital they'll call security to escort you out. It's good that in your area there are opportunities, but it's not like that in the majority of the country. It is undisputed that over the years, insurance reimbursements are down & with that must come budget cuts. It is more financially beneficial for a facility to utilize travel nurses or agency nurses instead of hiring staff because the facility saves on benefits. Even if the actual price of the nurses is through the roof, they're still paying less. A big problem where I am is that there are a few community colleges putting out 2 year nurses & places do not want to hire the associate degree nurses---they want bachelor's degrees. So, the only ones benefitting from that are the schools that are making money. If a bachelor's the minimum that places want, then make it official & get rid of the 2 year associate's degree schools. And I disagree with employers not laying off good employees & keeping bad ones----there's a lot of "incest" & politics that go on in facilities. If you're a horrible, lazy nurse but you're good friends with administration, guess what? Unless you kill someone, you'll never lose your job. And, in places with unions, it's the same thing. Unfortunately, nursing isn't the only profession that is suffering with the job situation in this economy---I think it's just that a lot of people were misled into thinking that there was some kind of "nursing shortage" and that if they went back to a 2 year school & got their nursing degree, they wouldn't have trouble finding a job, and that isn't the case.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.