the versatility of a BSN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Average in Everett, Massachusetts

32 months ago

One of my instructors suggested that I go for a 18-month BSN. It sounds great until one considers the fact that I'm not that much of a people person and nor do I require a job that is not "dead-end". If I can find steady work doing one thing that's fine for me.The variety of settings that nurses work in don't appeal to me except for the research area because it has less to do with patient care and more to do with the out come of patient care.

If I decide go for it, I should easily find work. In this economy, there are few professional credentials that guarantee work and nursing seems to be one of them. So should I suck it up an put on a happy face and do it...given these uncertain times and the unsuitability of patient care to me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Average in Medford, Massachusetts

26 months ago

bump

Josie Klen in Menlo Park, California, USA, California

23 months ago

Well, I think you answered your own question!

With the Bachelors of Science in nursing you increase the area of skills you are capable of doing and providing giving you more of a variety of what you can do.

I’m taking the bsn by Unitek College and the whole reason I enrolled is because of the guarantee of work with a higher degree, better pay and because I love being an RN but needed to make more $ or else I was going to look for a different career. The cost of living just keeps going up and with the republicans acting like they are, if they get into the white house, there will be no way to get ahead in this world unless you are already rich or move to a higher degree.

I don’t mean to say you are rich with a higher degree so don’t take me wrong, but at least with the higher degree you can have a few bucks left over after you pay your monthly bills than you do with a lower degree.

Yes you should easily find work. A few of my co-workers have a bachelor’s degree and have easily been able to find work. Believe me, I asked many questions before starting the bsn program!

As for the research side of things, on some occasions or certain situations you may have to deal with patients but nothing like you are now.

Average in Medford, Massachusetts

17 months ago

Josie Klen in Menlo Park, California, USA, California said: Well, I think you answered your own question!

Eventually, I did. A nursing degree does become versatile--ONLY after a certain amount of bedside experience is obtained. In order to do the non-patient care stuff, one has do patient care stuff for a period of time. The accelerated BSN in my location demands a full time commitment and will cost about 35 thousand dollars in private loans.
I still don't feel that nursing suits me--simply because I'll be surrounded by people who think I am suppose to like my job and display a lot of enthusiasm about it or working with them so I won't go ahead with it.

Josie Klen in Menlo Park, California, USA, California said: The cost of living just keeps going up and with the republicans acting like they are, if they get into the white house, there will be no way to get ahead in this world unless you are already rich or move to a higher degree.

That is system we have currently in place. A person can only raise their status by merit or inherited wealth. My problem with a "higher degree" is its tendency to lead to credentialism. Credentials, as opposed to ongoing education, doesn't always seem to improve health-care outcomes such as patient outcome or health-care costs but credentials. I sometimes get the impression that multiple credentials are there to maintain barriers of entry. Barriers to entry are what I think are keeping healthcare costs high in this country. Reducing healthcare costs usually mean decreasing someone's salary and no one from the employees to the the management wants that. In the meantime, each new nurse worker will probably have to obtain more formal training just to enter the field.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.