No Nursing Shortage!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 254)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

aeromedicina in Cerritos, California

57 months ago

Whether ther is a shortage or not, nursing is always evolving.
What are your goals in nursing? I guess once you define them you can focus on that aspect of nursing. Are good at sales? Good talker? Nice presentation and speech?

Waht other skills do you have to enhance your BSN?

I am sure a one to one with a motivator can do you a lot of good.

Manny in california.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (44) Reply - Report abuse

kellyy in Oakland, California

57 months ago

ok so you made me hopeless.
i have a BS in other field and can find no job for 12 months.
so now i'm looking into nursing and i'm willing to pay for a private LVN program.
nursing is the only field that i've heard still hiring people.
sigh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

experienced rn in Columbia, Missouri

57 months ago

If there is a nursing shortage and need would you not think wages would reflect this. Or how about the fact that man new grades cant find a job. I love nursing but you had better love it becuse that is the only reward there is. I dont like unions but I feel nursing is a area it is greatly needed. Try to run a hospital or clinic without us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Mount Laurel, New Jersey

56 months ago

I have been a nurse for over 20 years. I am very disturbed by the current trend in nursing. For years nursing schools have been pushing this nursing shortage story. Well, it seems the the shortage is over! My wife just graduated from nursing school and has not had any success landing a job. Even nursing homes are looking for a BSN and 3-5 years experience.

Even more disturbing is the downward trend in nursing salaries. I am hearing about the few new RNs who are getting jobs are accepting very low salaries. This is going to put downward pressure on the entire profession. Even worse, hospitals are still bringing in "experienced" foreign nurses that is further reducing the job pool.

It is time for nurses to take control of the profession. We need to contact our governmental officials and be sure they are aware of the realities we are currently facing. They need to stop giving greedy nursing schools money to enlarge RN programs that will continue to turn out unemployed RNs. Most of the media still thinks there is a shortage. Every day I read an article about how high the demand is for nurses. Guess again.

In the long run, the current situation is only going to make matters worse. The word is starting to get out that nursing is to be avoided if you actually want to have a job. Who wants to spend 4 years in a very demanding program to graduate into a profession that places no value on new nurses? I anticipate that nursing school applications will begin to plummet in the coming years. Once again we will be faced with hospitals and the AMA pushing for cheap UAPs (unlicensed assistive personnel) the will put the patients and the nursing profession in jeopardy.

I encourage every nurse, new or experienced, to make your story heard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (95) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

kellyy in Oakland, California

56 months ago

o my...
i'm about to send out few applications to nursing programs and even looked into private loans...
maybe i should just look for something else...
sigh..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Mount Laurel, New Jersey

56 months ago

kellyy in Oakland, California said: o my...
i'm about to send out few applications to nursing programs and even looked into private loans...
maybe i should just look for something else...
sigh..

Right now nursing is tough. New grads are having a very difficult time securing jobs. Hospitals don't want to lay out the money to train new grads. Nearly every position requires at least a year of med surg experience, including med surg jobs!. Hopefully the job market will improve one the economy improves and the uncertainty of healthcare reform passes. Good luck with your decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Voorhees, New Jersey

53 months ago

unemployed nurse in Charlottesville, Virginia said: It is a vicious LIE!!! All of the retired nurses came back to work and there are very little oppertunities out there for new grads. But don't worry we can all derive some satisfaction in that the average age of a nurse was 47 years old in 2004. Lets make the assumption that all the nurses that came into the profession out of retirment were around this age and that the rate of new grads being graduated from nursing school remained at the same rate it did it 2004 for simplicity sake. This would mean that now the in 2010 the average age of a nurse is somewhere in the 50s. An age of 50 or more may not be far from the truth. This being the case they can't put in too many more good years of work and later down the road this country will pay dearly. I hope this crises is bad 10 years from now I really do. I hope this country really suffers, it needs to. Going to move toCanada or Germany after my MSN

I understand your anger but anyone in the nursing profession who says "I hope this country really suffers" probably picked the wrong profession. Nursing is supposed to be about caring for others, not grinding axes. Perhaps your energy would be better spent helping to educate the public about the potential crisis that is brewing rather than wishing suffering on our country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

unemployed nurse in Charlottesville, Virginia

53 months ago

I respect your comment you are probably right. Sorry, I take the suffering part back. Good luck to anyone searching for a job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

megg ryan in New York, New York

53 months ago

Bill, it is as plain as day that this country is suffering, it's at all angles. The colleges just want to make $$ assuring that nursing is in "high demand", now with the whole health care reform going on, things are getting worst.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Hopeless in Highland Mills, New York

52 months ago

Ha, "Nursing Shortage" nothing makes me laugh more than this ridiculous statement! There has never been a nursing shortage, it is a fraud perpetrated upon the unkowing public, who spout this nonsense as if it is a fact. I am a highly experienced RN (lots of credentials with a BS, etc) who CANNOT find a job, I have even gotten 2 additional licenses in order to broaden my prospects...forget it. When I worked as a nurse, let me tell you the hospitals I worked at NEVER, NEVER had a problem hiring nurses, there were plenty of nurses to fill any available slot. They will just hire "foreign" nurses, a rather common practice I might add. When there a thousands of new graduates and experienced nurses who cannot find a job, no matter what....that means there is NO shortage and in fact means there is a glut. If I were in nursing school right now, I would seriously consider whether or not I was wasting my time...especially if your in a Associates program and still want to become a nurse, than switch to a BS now because absolutely no-one is hiring Associates nurses, whether experienced or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hodybody in Mesquite, Texas

52 months ago

It is no better in Texas, my friend. It truly is a hoax that there is a nursing shortage. If there were, nursing pay would skyrocket, they would have all kinds of incentives to bring in nurses, benefits would be respectable offers not pitiful pittances. I work in nursing homes, predominantly, because medical assistants have taken over medical offices (lower pay for the docs), hospitals hire and LVN or two to work as nurse aides, and nursing homes are the only place an LVN can make a livable income. I like and get along well with my coworkers, but I am the only American on 3 shifts. I am the only Caucasian...period. I would like to find out more about unionizing nursing in the South...the South that fights unions tooth and nail. I would love to be a union organizer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No Reply - Report abuse

SRV in Fullerton, California

51 months ago

Change the subject from nurses to job coaches/direct support staff, the caregivers of developmentally disabled(DD)adults.

To any union organizers out there, this is an area worth looking into. There are some 50 adult day programs just in the LA/Long Beach Harbor area and countless group homes--none unionized. And there are real advantages in organizing these workers:
1. Not only do many barely earn minimum wage, they are treated as disposable by management and have zero job security. A grievance system and arbitration would be as appealing to them as improved wages and benefits.
2. Day programs and group homes cannot be outsourced. If a company wants to relocate to Indonesia or the Maquiladoras it must also relocate the clients and their relatives.
3. Day programs and group homes cannot be automated. Clients must be supervised by someone who actually breathes and bleeds. Even the current Supreme Court would have a hard time changing this one.
4. ACCESS. Direct support staff and especially job coaches are not bound to a single place like your typical manufacturing job. The latter go out into the community via van or public transportation four times a week. An orgnizer could get a day pass from the local transit authority and ride around for several hours a day meeting and talking to staff from a variety of programs without having to worry about the meddlesome eye of management. Or, she could simply go the the popular sites (Farmers Markets, Aquarium of the Pacfici and espcially bowling alleys) and just wait for them to show up.

NUHW, are you listening?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

NJ in Stone Mountain, Georgia

51 months ago

The most recent tend is to hire nurses, then "outsource" the nursing department, making everyone "reapply" for their old jobs at the "new company" This is not just happening with nursing staff, but paraprofessionals, support staff, etc.

I little research will sometimes yield info showing that the hospital itself may in some way own the company the work is being outsourced to.

I am not a nurse, but know many people who are working in hospitals, and am seeing this trend in a lot of places where medical professional work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

OldRN in Grand Rapids, Michigan

51 months ago

Things are no better for us older, experienced nurses, once you pass that "magic window" of 3-5 hrs. experience. I made the mistake of taking a very nice non-clinical nursing job, and then a year ago, when the economy went to pot, the hospital eliminated my job and threw me out on the street along with several of my colleagues. They didn't even offer any of us the opportunity to bid on other positions within the system; they fired us in cold blood. That was my "thanks" for 10 years of loyal service to that hospital. Now, nobody wants to hire me because I'm older and have too many years of service, which equals "top of the pay scale" in their mind, and because I don't have recent acute-care experience. So I'm picking up a shift here and there through a staffing agency, and supplementing my income with non-nursing odd jobs. I would consider taking a refresher course, but if nobody is going to hire me anyway, why waste the money? It's so discouraging.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No Reply - Report abuse

JoblessBSN in Elmhurst, New York

49 months ago

Nursing shortage is a LIE. We continue to sponsor foreign nurses, making jobs even MORE scarce than they already were.
Forget the fact that you have a BSN, 15+ years of experience, and graduated from a prestigious college. There simply isn't a demand at ALL and it does NOT pay well. I really encourage people to STOP looking to nursing as a "crutch" degree to "start making lots of money after 2 years of school". You're being completely fooled.

Get into Nursing because you are passionate about it and with the knowledge/reality that job-hunting, afterward, will be PAINSTAKING. Otherwise, you will end up bitter a few years into it. I PROMISE you. It's a 100% guarantee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JoblessRN in Vancouver WA in Vancouver, Washington

47 months ago

I am glad I stumbled across this forum. I too am feeling the heat right now...jobless as an RN. I was laid off in July of this year and it is the first time in my life I have been unemployed.It is a humbling experience for an experienced nurse.I think I made the mistake getting out of hospital nursing and working in clinics the past several years.It seems the trend is to replace RN jobs with more MA's and LPN's for the cost benefit and use fewer RN's.The jobs for RN's in the clinics are becoming fewer and more specialized. I was performing more case management work in clinics over the past four years and my acute care skills are dated now. I did perform treatments and triage but less trained staff did treatments and many duties RN's used to traditionally perform. I am trying to find work in the care management field but jobs are more competitive in this area as so many RN's are competing for those types of jobs in my area.I have twenty-five years experience in diversified health care settings which include the hospital, clinics, and community settings. I am worried for my future and am at a crossroads. Considering changing career fields and agree the nursing shortage is just not so!!! I have deterred several young people from going into the field currently and suggested it would be better to become a PA, better job prospects. I also have a friend that recently graduated from a nurse practitioner program and is unable to find work because of inexperience.She was an RN for 20 years and no one wants to hire her either as an RN because they feel she will leave when she gets a NP job. she is doing RN work at an agency which now I am looking at. There are a lot of unemployed nurses in my area particularly those with experience that have been making more money on pay scale traditionally. I think many health care institutions just don't need over experienced professionals in this field anymore when they can find cheap labor that meets basic qualifications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No Reply - Report abuse

NURSE2OTA in Jackson Heights, New York

47 months ago

Yes, you are right! Here in NYC, they hire foreigners LEFT AND RIGHT. You can BARELY understand their English. My assumption is...they will work for less. They MUST work for less, because the care that they give is TERRIBLE. They fight a LOT and are very cruel in general...at least many that I have seen.

I also try to deter people from the field. I SO badly wanted to become a Geriatric NP, as I felt the field would be a good one in a few years, but seeing as to how they just are NOT hiring nurses, I have reevaluated where I want to go.

Nursing is a horrible field to get into. People just have no idea what we go through as nurses. Your story is similar to SO many others. I have met seasoned nurses with 15-30 years of experience, their BSN, certificates, and a willingness to work. Guess what? NO JOBS for them. It's TERRIBLE.

I am currently only finished with my LPN and at a crossroad where I want to determine where I want to go in life. I am in my later 20s, so I'm also trying to think about how I will fit marriage and children into this all, because I do not want to be in my 30s when I just start to have kids. I only want TWO maximum, and would like for them to be around ages 28-29, then a second one at 31 and that's it!

If I go back for PA, I will be in school for 3 more years to finish my Bachelors. And another 2 to finish PA school. That's 5 years and sets me just past 30. It's a very hard choice to make. I truthfully wish I would have finished college straight out of high school, but finances were so low, it was nearly impossible.

I say..go for OTA or PTA..they are paid $55,000/year to start, here in the tri-state area...after a few years of experience under your belt..you shoot up to $65,000/year easily. I spoke to a man in Florida with 3 years experience and that's what he is making.

Nursing simply isn't the way to go..they have been lying for YEARS that there is a shortage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

NpBabyYea in Bliss, Texas

46 months ago

I've not had any trouble finding NP positions as long as I'm willing to relocate.
Adding a new Board Certification has brought even more opportunities my way, plus a huge increase in salary. If you love Nursing, you have to keep adding new certifications to keep yourself marketable.
Yes, there is competition, and yes, the 1st job is tough to find, but I can't think of any other career where there aren't similar problems.
I too have seen RN jobs being replaced by MAs and LPNs, but I don't agree with many of you regarding a shortage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

BSN in Jackson Heights, New York

46 months ago

NpBabyYea in Bliss, Texas said: I've not had any trouble finding NP positions as long as I'm willing to relocate.
Adding a new Board Certification has brought even more opportunities my way, plus a huge increase in salary. If you love Nursing, you have to keep adding new certifications to keep yourself marketable.
Yes, there is competition, and yes, the 1st job is tough to find, but I can't think of any other career where there aren't similar problems.
I too have seen RN jobs being replaced by MAs and LPNs, but I don't agree with many of you regarding a shortage.

You don't agree with anyone because you're in Texas! DUH. That's like the ONLY state, right now, that has a workforce. Come outside of that little box of yours. Google "No nursing shortage" or "No nursing jobs" to see the ugly reality of it all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tired RN in Arlington, Texas

46 months ago

BSN in Jackson Heights, New York said: You don't agree with anyone because you're in Texas! DUH. That's like the ONLY state, right now, that has a workforce. Come outside of that little box of yours. Google "No nursing shortage" or "No nursing jobs" to see the ugly reality of it all.

TEXAS ISN"T MUCH BETTER!

I just moved to Texas from CA a few months ago.
I have a total of 16 yrs. experience, most in critical care.
I have done case management the past 3 years, with an ASN.
Since I have been away from the bedside more than a year, they
won't touch me. I have a snowball's chance of landing an interview, much less a job. I have applied to nearly all the hospitals in the DFW area.
Other than 4 requests for interviews, my phone has been silent.
Most don't even give you the courtesy of saying "no thanks."
By the grace of God, I was hired as a clinic nurse.
I knew I would take a pay cut moving here(around 11k annually.)
I am not complaining, it's better than 0k a year!

I have never been interested in a BSN. If I went back to school,
my higher degree would not be in nursing. We take the same boards, and the compensation is a joke! They are having trouble finding jobs too! More schooling may not mean more job security.
I am nervous with where nursing may be heading. Now that hospitals see they can find cheaper labor, I believe the days of big bonuses and good wages are coming to an end. Even the states that pay more generous salaries will be hit. For years I suggested my daughter consider nursing. I no longer recommend it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

TiredRN in Arlington,

That is just terrible. I really thought that Texas was the last place it was good. I'm in NYC. Literally NOTHING here. No hope. They import foreign nurses over like you would NOT believe. Many of them have such broken English, it is truly hard to understand them. It is my firm belief that this is done as many of these people come from very poor countries and are willing to work for a lot less.
I wouldn't even go back for your BSN, if I were you. It's good that you're not interested in it. It will get you no where. I know people with their MSN. They are NPs and cannot land an NP job for the LIFE of them. They are lucky to keep an RN job, at this point. Nursing is awful.I wouldn't encourage my worst enemy to go into it. It's is NOT at all the field that people think it is.
Now I'm just looking for something new to major in. I may ride out the economy working as a CNA or HHA, but that's just to survive. At this point, I can make more waitressing. And while waitressing isn't glamorous, the stress is about 85% less than what I deal with in nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

PS. For people who think that nursing will get better. Think again. I'm literally just doing this to survive. It's demeaning..but I am going back to college to major in something else...and/or waitressing to get through this depression. You can make $20-$40/hr in tips at a nice steakhouse. Heck, I used to make $20/hr at a SLOW Denny's in a cruddy part of the neighborhood. That's more than nursing pays!

I would highly encourage people to search "No nursing shortage" or "No nursing jobs". With our current politicians and employers becoming greedier than ever, it will only get worse. Nursing has been like this for quite some time. Never, ONCE, has it gotten better..it's been a steady decline and in the last few years, a very rapid decline.
I refuse to be the nurse who lives in denial and says my job is great and that I love this field. What kind of field should someone have to work this hard (through school and on the job) and be paid the same as a fast food worker? What kind of field is so abusive, and yet at the same time, unstable..without jobs? Is that really healthy to subject yourself to for a lifetime? I choose happiness & family over this field. I'm sucking it up and saving up..getting out of nursing ASAP. NEVER looking back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tired RN in Arlington, Texas

46 months ago

Good for you, BSN in NY! I am so glad you are doing something about the mistreatment besides whining. I know how hard it is to make drammatic changes, especially after devoting so much time and energy on this career. Coming to the conclusion that there is something better out there is half the battle. I could not be happier that I won't be working in a hospital. I think I'm finally done with them. Not worth the grief or the destruction of your health.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ex California Nurse in Northridge, California

46 months ago

I lapsed my nursing license due to a legal glitch and I had better things to do than fight the system that does not support nurses, rather let DA's and other legal eagles, take your professional life away.

I went to bat for myself developing what nurses can do...our own business.

Anyone need some advice?

Call me

aeromedicina.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Tired RN in Arlington, Texas said: Good for you, BSN in NY! I am so glad you are doing something about the mistreatment besides whining. I know how hard it is to make drammatic changes, especially after devoting so much time and energy on this career. Coming to the conclusion that there is something better out there is half the battle. I could not be happier that I won't be working in a hospital. I think I'm finally done with them. Not worth the grief or the destruction of your health.

I agree..coming to the conclusion is definitely half the battle. Most nurses are in denial, and dare you say ANYTHING about this field or they'll get all nasty/bitter about it. It's, quite frankly, disgusting.

I'm so glad we are getting out of nursing. Things are going down the drain completely.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SENIOR NURSE in Knoxville, Tennessee

46 months ago

The nursing shortage is a hoax. Hospitals are financially in poor health due to the amount of unemployed and uninsured population in this country. I have been trying to find work for 5 months without luck. Hospitals are vicious in getting rid of employees to save a buck. I was retaliated against in a hostile work enviroment. We do not need to import anything..... that is what has contributed to this financial mess we are in along with corrupt corporate and political leaders in this country.. Maybe it's time to say we are fed up as a society and come together.. unfortunately, I do not see it would happen as a peaceful event. Good luck to all you fellow unemployed, screwed over nurses.. I know what you are going through

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LPN2RN in Jackson Heights, New York

46 months ago

SENIOR NURSE in Knoxville, Tennessee said: The nursing shortage is a hoax. Hospitals are financially in poor health due to the amount of unemployed and uninsured population in this country. I have been trying to find work for 5 months without luck. Hospitals are vicious in getting rid of employees to save a buck. I was retaliated against in a hostile work enviroment. We do not need to import anything..... that is what has contributed to this financial mess we are in along with corrupt corporate and political leaders in this country.. Maybe it's time to say we are fed up as a society and come together.. unfortunately, I do not see it would happen as a peaceful event. Good luck to all you fellow unemployed, screwed over nurses.. I know what you are going through

You are 100% correct, which is why I'm debating on whether or not I want to waste another minute on nursing. I wish I didn't have to use the word "waste"..but that's what it feels like.

Nursing school is brutal, and when you graduate, your greeted with even more stress, abuse, harassment, cattiness, and backstabbing...oh and did I forget that you still need to worry about life or death situations on top of this?

I'm really worried. I'm in my late 20s and just want to have something solid underneath my belt...but I also want to start a family and not put it off just so I can graduate with a BSN and find out there's really no future for us nurses. Right now, that IS the case. I know over 10 BSN grads, with YEARS of experience, and they haven't found a job in 8 months. That says a lot. I'm in NYC..that says a WHOLE lot :(. Every hospital I go to, over here, has NOTHING but foreign nurses..sometimes I can't even understand their English. Nothing against them..but I don't think Nursing will ever get any better. If someone else thinks otherwise, please encourage me.

Part of me wants to stick with nursing because it's the quickest way to a Bachelors...other part thinks I should run!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Bill in Mount Laurel, New Jersey said: I have been a nurse for over 20 years. I am very disturbed by the current trend in nursing. For years nursing schools have been pushing this nursing shortage story. Well, it seems the the shortage is over! My wife just graduated from nursing school and has not had any success landing a job. Even nursing homes are looking for a BSN and 3-5 years experience.

Even more disturbing is the downward trend in nursing salaries. I am hearing about the few new RNs who are getting jobs are accepting very low salaries. This is going to put downward pressure on the entire profession. Even worse, hospitals are still bringing in "experienced" foreign nurses that is further reducing the job pool.

It is time for nurses to take control of the profession. We need to contact our governmental officials and be sure they are aware of the realities we are currently facing. They need to stop giving greedy nursing schools money to enlarge RN programs that will continue to turn out unemployed RNs. Most of the media still thinks there is a shortage. Every day I read an article about how high the demand is for nurses. Guess again.

In the long run, the current situation is only going to make matters worse. The word is starting to get out that nursing is to be avoided if you actually want to have a job. Who wants to spend 4 years in a very demanding program to graduate into a profession that places no value on new nurses? I anticipate that nursing school applications will begin to plummet in the coming years. Once again we will be faced with hospitals and the AMA pushing for cheap UAPs (unlicensed assistive personnel) the will put the patients and the nursing profession in jeopardy.

I encourage every nurse, new or experienced, to make your story heard.

WELL SAID..esp. the hospitals bringing in foreign/experienced nurses. I thought I was the only one that noticed that. Very classy and just well said! 100% true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NikkyT in Ashland City, Tennessee

46 months ago

Wow is the United States becoming a xenophobic country? I do not think foreign nurses are the problem. It is the bad economy, and also the increase in the number of new grads!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

NikkyT in Ashland City, Tennessee said: Wow is the United States becoming a xenophobic country? I do not think foreign nurses are the problem. It is the bad economy, and also the increase in the number of new grads!

They aren't the ONLY problem, but they ARE a problem. However, I blame the employers. Shame on them for continuing to hire foreign nurses over all of us American citizens. It's all about politics and votes. The hardworking middle class will always get screwed in the end..and dare we say ANYTHING because then we are XENOPHOBIC. You've got a lot to learn little lady.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tankweti in Pleasant Valley, New York

45 months ago

new grad nurse in California said: I am a new graduate nurse and feel your pain as well. I graduated with BSN several months ago, passed the boards, and received my license and still no job. I think we need to get the word out that there is no longer a nursing shortage. This is a lie that nursing schools continue to tell incoming students so they can continue to get large amounts of funding from state or fed government. I know very little about politics but I do know that when I spoke to a nurse recruiter she stated that the shortage has eased up. However, nursing schools continue to inform students that there is a shortage. Can you image all the new nurses that will be graduating and then all the new students that plan to go into nursing because they believe they will have a job once they complete their education. They are being deceived by nursing schools. We need to get the word out; we can write start writing letters to schools, media, and politicians until someone hears us. I was told that I was virtually guaranteed a job once I complete my education. What a lie!

I am planning to sue my school. I have a BSN, 3.5 GPA and have had only one interview since May when I graduated. Send my resume over and no one even has courtesy to respond. The one interview I had came from someone who saw my plight on Facebook, felt sorry for me and helped to set me up. Turned out they were not ready to hire yet and did not want an inexperienced new grad anyway. What I have found in my area (Dutchess Couny) is that you cannot even get your foot in the door without being a CNA there. St. Francis Hosp in Poughkeepsie is one of the worst offenders. They respond electronically and say if they have a position that fits your qualifications they will contact you and never do. Meanwhile, they are telling all their currently employed CNA's to apply for nursing school as they will hire them. I know of only two people that got hired there from my grad class.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tankweti in Pleasant Valley, New York

45 months ago

Of those two people who got hired, they were both CNA's and the mother of one of them works for a higher up in the corporate hospital structure. Other facilities locally are starting to follow that model and I have heard of some in NYC that are doing it. They do it, not to know if you have CNA skills (because you learned those in nursing school) but to find out if you come to work on time, how you get along with coworkers, bosses, patients.) It shuts the rest of us out entirely. Nursing homes in my area now either are not hiring or do not want new grads anymore. One place had a job fair listed on the Internet, which said new grads, LPN, RN encouraged to apply. It had a date but no year. When I called it turned out that posting was from 2007 and they had never updated their website but now require RN's with 2 years acute care. They claim it is because they have to supervise others. In addition, I am now tutoring nursing students as I could find no other work. One of them told me last night that he met a CNA at St. Francis Hospital who grad from nursing school in Connecticut and could not find a CNA position in any Connecticut hospital. They were all taken as nursing students are getting wise to what is happening and are snapping up positions (of which there are only a very limited number, no where near enough to accomodate all the new grads schools are pumping out.) Anyhow, my student told me that this lady at St. Francis is now driving daily from Connecticut for that precious CNA job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FreshRN in La Habra, California

45 months ago

I find indeed.com very helpful, but for new grad positions, most of what is listed is not applicable. So many job postings these days include descriptions that specifically announce they are not open to new grads. Makes the large amount of "new jobs available" that show up quite misleading. This 2 min youtube video sums it up quite nicely: www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgydCh2BTYY&NR=1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NURSE in Jackson Heights, New York

45 months ago

Tankweti in Pleasant Valley, New York said: I am planning to sue my school. I have a BSN, 3.5 GPA and have had only one interview since May when I graduated. Send my resume over and no one even has courtesy to respond. The one interview I had came from someone who saw my plight on Facebook, felt sorry for me and helped to set me up. Turned out they were not ready to hire yet and did not want an inexperienced new grad anyway. What I have found in my area (Dutchess Couny) is that you cannot even get your foot in the door without being a CNA there. St. Francis Hosp in Poughkeepsie is one of the worst offenders. They respond electronically and say if they have a position that fits your qualifications they will contact you and never do. Meanwhile, they are telling all their currently employed CNA's to apply for nursing school as they will hire them. I know of only two people that got hired there from my grad class.

LOL, you're an idiot. Sue them? Why? Because you didn't do your research to see that there are almost NO jobs left in nursing? Sorry--that's YOUR fault. I knew this going in and that's why I didn't waste my time on a BSN. I went to nursing school as a back up to my other dreams. My school was horrible, but they aren't really to blame.

What makes you think you deserve an interview any more than those other thousands of BSN nurses who have 10+ years of experience and cannot find a job? Change your major. You're going to look like a moron trying to sue your school for your own foolish choice to vest so much time and money into a nearly worthless major.

How do you think medical assistants feel? They're lied to all the time and sign up for MA school by the thousands. It's a sales pitch. Blame yourself for not doing the research. Your 4+ years of nursing school don't entitle you to anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

jerseyite in West New York, New Jersey said: as a LPN in the field id suggest getting into RN program 1st, or waiting to get into RN.lpn is hard to find work, pay is low, RN much more respected.I still worry that theyre phasing out lpns OR THE MARKET IS WAY TOO CROWDED.

Inaccurate information. LPNs are NOT being phased out. They just are NOT needed....SAME GOES FOR RNs...there is NOT a market for them. RNs are not ANY more in demand than LPNs. I know about 2 dozen RNs (BSN) with years of experience....ALL have been searching for jobs over last 5-8 months with NO luck. STOP THE LIES PLEASE--this is why so many people go into the field and come out jobless! We still have MISINFORMED and UNEDUCATED individuals selling that lie about nursing being in demand. Has the government really brainwashed you that bad?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

New grad that got a job. in New York, New York

45 months ago

Here is my nursing story. I graduated with a ADN in June '10. Passed NCLEX in August. Applied to many, many, many places. Landed a hospital job in November. Had to choose from 3 different job offers.

This is my take. As a single person with no kids and any commitments of sort, I have the ability to look further and to relocate. I do feel for those that just graduated or any experienced nurse for that matter that has commitments preventing them from relocating.

I had the pleasure to speak with the big hospital recruiters here in Manhattan and what they told me was basically a new nurse is competing with everyone from the tri-state area. A Houston nurse recruiter told me to avoid metro areas as there are way to many applicants.

So, for you new nurses, unless you have some big connections to those big hospitals, MOVE out of the big cities. And remember, it takes a while for applications to get processed and to land that interview. I was correct in predicting 4 weeks minimum. Don't be lazy. You don't have my sympathy if you are lazy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

I would LOVE to know where you landed a job with an ADN, because I live RIGHT in NYC and although I am working in Finance, for now (and loving it btw) I don't know ANY places that are hiring ADNs...matter of fact, I hardly know ANY places that are hiring nurses PERIOD in NYC. Where did you land a job and how?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

NURSE in Jackson Heights, New York said: I would LOVE to know where you landed a job with an ADN, because I live RIGHT in NYC and although I am working in Finance, for now (and loving it btw) I don't know ANY places that are hiring ADNs...matter of fact, I hardly know ANY places that are hiring nurses PERIOD in NYC. Where did you land a job and how?

You are correct, it is very hard, almost impossible, for a new grad to get a hospital job in NYC, that is why you have to MOVE out of the city if you can!! But if you dont have that luxury, then don't give up that slim hope because I know of 1 classmate that got a job in a hospital in the Bronx. She was the most dedicated person when it came to applying. She didn't even apply to that hospital but somehow one of the websites that she applied to forwarded her resume to the hospital. We guessed that that hospital has a contract with a recruiting website...wished we knew which website it was.

As for me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

JoblessRN/2 yrExp in Dallas, Texas

45 months ago

The idea above of a lawsuit or class action would at least publicize this problem. I keep getting these "HUGE NURSING SHORTAGE" articles and emails sent to me by family who don't understand why I don't have a job. My Mom thinks RN's make 65K for only 3 days work per week. Easy life right?

Wrong I worked 1 yr in a nursing home. 42 residents on 4 12 hr night shifts per week. And I was legally responsible for overseeing LPN's who also had full work loads. I finally got in a hospital med/surg floor and it almost killed me. There was no support and we were under staffed on purpose. I was fearful for my license and my patent's safety almost every hour at work. Finally I hurt my back when a disoriented post surgical patient fell on me. That was 3 years ago and I have not been able to find an RN job.

Becoming an RN was the worst mistake of my life. I hope the truth about this LIE about an impending "nursing shortage" get out. If there is a shortage hospitals will just do what they always do - import thousands of foreign RN's to take out jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

JoblessRN/2 yrExp in Dallas, Texas said: The idea above of a lawsuit or class action would at least publicize this problem. I keep getting these "HUGE NURSING SHORTAGE" articles and emails sent to me by family who don't understand why I don't have a job. My Mom thinks RN's make 65K for only 3 days work per week. Easy life right?

Wrong I worked 1 yr in a nursing home. 42 residents on 4 12 hr night shifts per week. And I was legally responsible for overseeing LPN's who also had full work loads. I finally got in a hospital med/surg floor and it almost killed me. There was no support and we were under staffed on purpose. I was fearful for my license and my patent's safety almost every hour at work. Finally I hurt my back when a disoriented post surgical patient fell on me. That was 3 years ago and I have not been able to find an RN job.

Becoming an RN was the worst mistake of my life. I hope the truth about this LIE about an impending "nursing shortage" get out. If there is a shortage hospitals will just do what they always do - import thousands of foreign RN's to take out jobs.

Wow, I could have written that! You are 100% correct. It is pretty infuriating and I'm mad at myself for centering my life around the goal of becoming a nurse. It's a lousy field and is only getting worse. You can't really sue a school, though, for any mistakes about going into it. ALL schools push ALL of their degrees and will make it seem as though you will have a secure job afterward. What you guys CAN do is KEEP spreading the truth on the internet. The internet is the BIGGEST tool here. I go on Yahoo Answers because stuff on YA shows up in Google REALLY fast. I have noticed that there is a nurse on there preaching the same truth that we are. She gets a LOT of thumbs down. Why? Because there aren't any other nurses backing her up. If you want to know how to go on Yahoo Answers, let me know. It throws things into search engines super rapidly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

NURSE in Jackson Heights, New York said: Wow, I could have written that! You are 100% correct. It is pretty infuriating and I'm mad at myself for centering my life around the goal of becoming a nurse. It's a lousy field and is only getting worse. You can't really sue a school, though, for any mistakes about going into it. ALL schools push ALL of their degrees and will make it seem as though you will have a secure job afterward. What you guys CAN do is KEEP spreading the truth on the internet. The internet is the BIGGEST tool here. I go on Yahoo Answers because stuff on YA shows up in Google REALLY fast. I have noticed that there is a nurse on there preaching the same truth that we are. She gets a LOT of thumbs down. Why? Because there aren't any other nurses backing her up. If you want to know how to go on Yahoo Answers, let me know. It throws things into search engines super rapidly.

You are in finance right? You should stick to finance and stop centering your life in becomming a nurse. Saves you the hassle and madness right? From your previous post, it seems that you are planning on changing careers? I might be wrong, and I'll say sorry if I am, but if you are not yet a nurse, why are you bitching?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

NURSE in Jackson Heights, New York said: Wow, I could have written that! You are 100% correct. It is pretty infuriating and I'm mad at myself for centering my life around the goal of becoming a nurse. It's a lousy field and is only getting worse. You can't really sue a school, though, for any mistakes about going into it. ALL schools push ALL of their degrees and will make it seem as though you will have a secure job afterward. What you guys CAN do is KEEP spreading the truth on the internet. The internet is the BIGGEST tool here. I go on Yahoo Answers because stuff on YA shows up in Google REALLY fast. I have noticed that there is a nurse on there preaching the same truth that we are. She gets a LOT of thumbs down. Why? Because there aren't any other nurses backing her up. If you want to know how to go on Yahoo Answers, let me know. It throws things into search engines super rapidly.

You are in finance right? You should stick to finance and stop centering your life in becomming a nurse. Saves you the hassle and madness right? From your previous post, it seems that you are planning on changing careers? I might be wrong, and I'll say sorry if I am, but if you are not yet a nurse, why are you bitching?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

hollyjean in Georgia

45 months ago

new grad nurse in California said: I am a new graduate nurse and feel your pain as well. I graduated with BSN several months ago, passed the boards, and received my license and still no job. I think we need to get the word out that there is no longer a nursing shortage. This is a lie that nursing schools continue to tell incoming students so they can continue to get large amounts of funding from state or fed government. I know very little about politics but I do know that when I spoke to a nurse recruiter she stated that the shortage has eased up. However, nursing schools continue to inform students that there is a shortage. Can you image all the new nurses that will be graduating and then all the new students that plan to go into nursing because they believe they will have a job once they complete their education. They are being deceived by nursing schools. We need to get the word out; we can write start writing letters to schools, media, and politicians until someone hears us. I was told that I was virtually guaranteed a job once I complete my education. What a lie!

I agree with ya 100% I went into nursing because of the demand for them and I have been a nurse for a year now...and still no job its very depressing..i have applied and applied but with out experience you cant get no where...but how is a new graduate suppose to work if no one gives them the chance to get the experience... i wanna go back for my RN but i wonder if its a waste of time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hollyjean in Georgia

45 months ago

I agree with ya 100% I went into nursing because of the demand for them and I have been a nurse for a year now...and still no job its very depressing..i have applied and applied but with out experience you cant get no where...but how is a new graduate suppose to work if no one gives them the chance to get the experience... i wanna go back for my RN but i wonder if its a waste of time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Mullica Hill, New Jersey

45 months ago

I have been a nurse for over 20 years. Overall the profession has been good to me. I even encouraged my wife to go to nursing school but sadly watched jobs dry up while she attended. It took her more than a year to land a position once she graduated.

Nursing can still be a great career. I know that is hard to believe when you are facing student loans and no interviews. I have to believe that the job market for RNs will begin to pick up at some point. The median age of experienced RNs is on the rise and many of us are at (or beyond) retirement age. Hospitals are just very hesitant to spend thousands training a new nurse just to have them leave because they don't like it or go to another hospital once they are experienced.

My big gripe is with the nursing schools. These money diven organizations continue to spread the fallacy of a nursing shortage to keep their cash flowing. I am forever seeing articles on Yahoo and other sites about the nursing shortage. This is just propaganda from the nursing schools. The schools need to start cutting enrollments until demand picks up. It does none of us any good to have a bunch of unemployed RNs floating around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

hollyjean in Georgia said: I agree with ya 100% I went into nursing because of the demand for them and I have been a nurse for a year now...and still no job its very depressing..i have applied and applied but with out experience you cant get no where...but how is a new graduate suppose to work if no one gives them the chance to get the experience... i wanna go back for my RN but i wonder if its a waste of time

It is a waste of time. Listen to your heart. There are a ton of BSN grads who wish they would have done the same and will probably stress this to you as well.

I am so sorry that you have not been able to find a job after a year. Your story is similar to thousands of other nurses. It's so unfortunate. I wouldn't recommend this field for anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Bill in Mullica Hill, New Jersey said: I have been a nurse for over 20 years. Overall the profession has been good to me. I even encouraged my wife to go to nursing school but sadly watched jobs dry up while she attended. It took her more than a year to land a position once she graduated.

Nursing can still be a great career. I know that is hard to believe when you are facing student loans and no interviews. I have to believe that the job market for RNs will begin to pick up at some point. The median age of experienced RNs is on the rise and many of us are at (or beyond) retirement age. Hospitals are just very hesitant to spend thousands training a new nurse just to have them leave because they don't like it or go to another hospital once they are experienced.

My big gripe is with the nursing schools. These money diven organizations continue to spread the fallacy of a nursing...

Bill, I respect your reply and I mean this as nicely as possible, but I truly feel you are giving a lot of false hope to other would-be nurses and/or new grads. I am SO glad that you entered this field when nurses actually had a chance to land a position.

The baby boom is a myth. The rate as which nurses are graduating from programs is extraordinarily higher than almost any other field. Most of this has to do with the fact that Bachelors are not even required (another HUGE mistake with nursing). Regardless of those retiring, the nursing field is so insanely saturated, right now, that even current statistics show it will be hard to absorb all nurses entering the market. In fact, it is suggested that baby boomers retiring will only open up 1/3 of the market

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DenimBlue in Jackson Heights, New York

45 months ago

New grad that got a job. in New York, New York said: You are correct, it is very hard, almost impossible, for a new grad to get a hospital job in NYC, that is why you have to MOVE out of the city if you can!! But if you dont have that luxury, then don't give up that slim hope because I know of 1 classmate that got a job in a hospital in the Bronx. She was the most dedicated person when it came to applying. She didn't even apply to that hospital but somehow one of the websites that she applied to forwarded her resume to the hospital. We guessed that that hospital has a contract with a recruiting website...wished we knew which website it was.

As for me

You still never answered the question. Where did you land a nursing position and how? I'm also having a very hard time believing that, as bad as the economy is, you (an ADN grad) were hired RIGHT out of school without ANY experience when there are IVY LEAGUE BSN grads who have trouble coming across interviews.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Mullica Hill, New Jersey

45 months ago

NURSE in Jackson Heights, New York said: Bill, I respect your reply and I mean this as nicely as possible, but I truly feel you are giving a lot of false hope to other would-be nurses and/or new grads. I am SO glad that you entered this field when nurses actually had a chance to land a position.

The baby boom is a myth. The rate as which nurses are graduating from programs is extraordinarily higher than almost any other field. Most of this has to do with the fact that Bachelors are not even required (another HUGE mistake with nursing). Regardless of those retiring, the nursing field is so insanely saturated, right now, that even current statistics show it will be hard to absorb all nurses entering the market. In fact, it is suggested that baby boomers retiring will only open up 1/3 of the market

I hear what you are saying and definitely don't want to give anyone false hope. You make a great point. When faced with a shortage, most other professions just just demand more money. I've never seen a push for unlicensed assistive accounts or a massive recruitement of foreign engineers (although much of our technology development has been outsourced for greater profits). Nursing associations and schools need to work to elevate nursing as a valuable profession, not dilute it with an overabundance of new nurses. Talking about it on a forum such as this is a place to start but we need to make our voices heard with our state and national nursing associations and the politicians who represent us. Right now, they only here the nursing schools clamoring to keep their dollars flowing.

I just hate to see the negativity regarding the profession. As professional nurses, we need to be the ones to educate the public and reign in nursing schools from destroying our future. Good luck to all of you looking for jobs and be sure to make your story heard. Have a great holiday!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

DenimBlue in Jackson Heights, New York said: You still never answered the question. Where did you land a nursing position and how? I'm also having a very hard time believing that, as bad as the economy is, you (an ADN grad) were hired RIGHT out of school without ANY experience when there are IVY LEAGUE BSN grads who have trouble coming across interviews.

In order for me to get a job, I moved out of state. I still live in NYC for another week before I move and I am willing to meet with you or anybody for that matter that don't believe me. I will show you my acceptance job letter and the letters from those hospitals that I declined their offer.

You are right that the chances of me getting a job in NYC would have been slim because there are a lot of BSN's and other ADN's applying in the city. Did you go to that job fair at Javit's? The line to speak with the recruiters from the big hospitals were so long. Even the nursing homes around NYC prefer nurses with experience. I am lucky enough that I can relocate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »