Geriatric Nursing Assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

monique

97 months ago

can you tell me what is the difference, between a cna and a gna. i got my cna from the state of delaware, i was told i can work as a gna if i chose to work in the state of maryland, i was also told by my cna intructor that having a cna is better than having a gna, although her explanation as of why is not clear. my question to you is what is wrong with you working as a cna, isn't the work the same

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Emma in Stamford, Connecticut

97 months ago

I found these two links that may help in answering your questions:

National Association of Health Care Assistants:
www.nahcacares.org/

Nursing Assistants.net (CNAs Empowering CNAs)
nursingassistants.net/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cathy in Belleville, Michigan

54 months ago

I have a Associate of Applied Science Gerontology degree since 06-2909,and can't seem to find a job with my degree. I have been working as a Activity Assistant, this may be coming to a end. What jobs are avaiable with this degree in the State of Michigan. I have also worked as a nurse Aid caring for seniors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anneb15@comcast.net in Steubenville, Ohio

49 months ago

annettadewitt@yahoo.com in Hyattsville, Maryland said: gnas can work in nursing home cnas can work in assisted living the difference is that in most assisted living the resisdents do for themselves verses long term care where you have to do some or all of there patient care

I did not know that it is the CNA's that work in assisted living facilities. I thoght that you did not have to be a certified nursing assistant to work in assisted living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Carlotte Elaine Butler in Severn, MD said: I have been certified Geriatric Nursing Assitant since 1986, I now have a state license from the board of nursing for Nursing Assistant. I have been trying to have this corrected, with no process. I was told that i have to take the GNA course again, I dont think i should have to do that. I have worked as a GNA for over 10 years. What should i do at this time. I am now unable to get a job as a GNA, only as a CNA. What can i do.

I, too, would like to be a GNA, and do basic care. I am hoping to get on-the job training somewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LPN in ohio in Columbus, Ohio

46 months ago

hi all, i'm in Ohio and I am an STNA (state tested nurse aide) we do long term and hospitals but either may require more specific training. here you are a CNA until you take the state test. pass it then your a registered STNA. I had never heard the term GNA before though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LPN in ohio in Columbus, Ohio

46 months ago

LPN in ohio in Columbus, Ohio said: hi all, i'm in Ohio and I am an STNA (state tested nurse aide) we do long term and hospitals but either may require more specific training. here you are a CNA until you take the state test. pass it then your a registered STNA. I had never heard the term GNA before though.

in case the name throws you off I am now a LPN as well. more letters, more money i guess. lol. here we can have both.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tashika in Silver Spring, Maryland

46 months ago

I am a can and I work in a longterm care facilty/ nusing home in washington d.c...I am lookin for employment in maryland but they say I have to be a Gna which puzzles me because I work with geriatrics and I am not a Gna. I guess its. The employers discretion

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kwadzo@ymail.com in Greenbelt, Maryland

44 months ago

I'm CNA and GNA Certificates holder.i completed one month a ago.Now all the Hospitals i have applid for are just asking of ONE or TWO YEARS EXPERIECES which i have not got because i have just completed.Please, i really need job to do.WHAT CAN I DO? please help me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

compassionate in Steubenville, Ohio

44 months ago

I am sorry to hear that you are not having any luck with obtaining an entry level position as a CNA/GNA in a hospital setting. Would you consider starting in a nursing home, assisted living facility, or homecare?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

LPN in ohio in Columbus, Ohio said: in case the name throws you off I am now a LPN as well. more letters, more money i guess. lol. here we can have both.

I have worked as an LPN, as well as a nurse's aide. For myself, I found both career paths very rewarding because caring for the elderly is my passion. Whether you work as an LPN or a nurse's aide there are those whom cannot care for themselves, or need some level of care. To be able to give care that helps the client reach their optimum level of health, I have found id genuinely rewarding, personally and professionally. You learn something new every day!

Natasha.Talley736@gmail.com in Washington, District of Columbia

40 months ago

I want to take the GNA test in Silver Spring MD i have my CNA please help me so ihay i caan start back consistely

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

diane in Virginia Beach, Virginia

40 months ago

Tashika in Silver Spring, Maryland said: I am a can and I work in a longterm care facilty/ nusing home in washington d.c...I am lookin for employment in maryland but they say I have to be a Gna which puzzles me because I work with geriatrics and I am not a Gna. I guess its. The employers discretion

Go mwork n a asst living/nursing home

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

diane in Virginia Beach, Virginia

40 months ago

monique said: can you tell me what is the difference, between a cna and a gna. i got my cna from the state of delaware, i was told i can work as a gna if i chose to work in the state of maryland, i was also told by my cna intructor that having a cna is better than having a gna, although her explanation as of why is not clear. my question to you is what is wrong with you working as a cna, isn't the work the same

In some cases the work may be the same but cna r license and can do me the a gna n some states some cna pass meds and can work n hosp gna can't work n hosp only n nursing homes as i understand n some state and asst livings.good luck

Miss C in Silver Spring, Maryland

21 months ago

Been working as an admissions counselor in a SNF for 10 years, pay is about 51,000/yr. want to return to school and finish an ADN program. Not sure if I can keep my position nd dedicate te times of day school casses are offered. Since I took health science courses (microbio, a nd p 1,2 and chem) nearly 20 yrs ago, but returned to school in 2001 and took accelerated bachelors program, graduated in 2003- human services. I don't have to take sciences again, but must take path. I want to do well but not sure if I can keep working. Some sites say cna/gna have the potential of earning upwards of 40,000/yr. by reading comments here, that doesn't seem to be the case unless you're in Canada! I'm willing to take a pay cut, but not by 1/2 of my salary. I'm hoping my agency will consider how long I've been with the organization. I wanted to do the gna route for more attention care nd clinical environment. I already deal with a lot f clinical reviews daily and wored as an HHa 20 yrs ago. Medical environment is in my blood. I need to keep a roof over my and my daughters head while in school and have a flexible work schedule and sees gna or security at the front desk are my only options. I'm torn......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.