Nursing Assistant Salary

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (35)

Fed up in Baltimore, Maryland

82 months ago

I just happened to look at the nursing assistant salaries for Baltimore, Maryland and there is no way on God's gorgeous green earth that nursing assistants make that much money. That's insane. Where are they getting these salary totals from? I know one nursing assistant who has been at her job for over thirty years (and she's pretty pissed off about it) and she doesn't make that much money.
I don't make that much money.
I have a question. I walked off my job today can that go against my certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (112) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

naomi in Baltimore, Maryland

81 months ago

hi ...i recently moved to baltimore and i was wondering what a nursing assistant usually makes per hour here..i am from alabama and its about $8 and hour there...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Eileen

81 months ago

The salaries that are listed are someones dream! In eastern NC Cna's are getting a disgusting $7.00 per hour!!! Ten years ago in Vermont I was earning $11.00 per hour with full benefits!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Loris, South Carolina

77 months ago

What is going rate 4 myrtle beach,South Carolina.Also North Carolina. Took classes before just didnot get state cerficated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

anthony in Birdsboro, Pennsylvania

76 months ago

mary in Loris, South Carolina said: What is going rate 4 myrtle beach,South Carolina.Also North Carolina. Took classes before just did not get state cerficated.

hi Mary i was just wondering if you ever found out an answer im from Pennsylvania and i was wondering myself of that rate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

annette in New York, New York

75 months ago

Geta said: It all depends on your experience, some places in Baltimore,start at $10.00 or more an hour, depending on where you go, mostly just coming out of class is about $10.00.

In new york CNA are paid $14.50 as starting and up to $20 if u work night shift

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

minnie in Metairie, Louisiana

75 months ago

The pay is 10.00 in some nursing homes,and lower in some. the hospitals some go by how long you have been a cna/pct/cat 7.50-13.50per hr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Sue Sands in Fort Wayne, Indiana

74 months ago

Is a nursing assistant the same as a certified nursing assistant? What degrees do you need for eachA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Lutherville Timonium, Maryland

74 months ago

Fed up in Baltimore, Maryland said: I just happened to look at the nursing assistant salaries for Baltimore, Maryland and there is no way on God's gorgeous green earth that nursing assistants make that much money. That's insane. Where are they getting these salary totals from? I know one nursing assistant who has been at her job for over thirty years (and she's pretty pissed off about it) and she doesn't make that much money.
I have a question. I walked off my job today can that go against my certification.

I don't know what figures you are looking at but I have been a nursing assistant in Maryland for a couple years now and I currently make $10/hr. But I know there can be a range between 8.00-15.00 here depending on if you go agency or not. In addition CNA and GNA make a difference here as well. You can make more if you have your GNA.

AND YES...If you walk off your job it can go against your certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angie J in Modesto, California

70 months ago

Sue Sands in Fort Wayne, Indiana said: Is a nursing assistant the same as a certified nursing assistant? What degrees do you need for eachA?

I dont believe so Im a CNA which mean I am certified. Im in California and took the class over and received a HHA and CNA certificate Im also CPR/FA certified I make $10.50 starting off full time. I did this in 95 in South Carolina when the pay was $7:50 its gone up some.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Veronica in Arlington, Texas

70 months ago

iv been a cna for 4 years .. my firstjob i stared out at 9.50 an hour now it 13 i know in the city hospitals like downtown dallas and fortworth they start out at 16 an hour

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sunyileung in Washington, District of Columbia

65 months ago

I left my job about two months as a retail managment. I tried to apply the job in kmart. I gave my resume to the human resource and I filled out the application through computer. They sent me to take the drug test. But somehow I didn't do go in the interview or I am Chinese , he doesn't like me. Of course, I didn't get the job.I am so frustrated and worried. I want to take a GNA certicate. Is it worth it and how is the market?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nicki in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

64 months ago

CARMELO in Wantagh, New York said: Hi. If you dont mind me asking, Where can i make $20 an hour as a CNA. I am getting my license by the end of the month and I would like to get paid that amount of money if I can? Thanks

u can try avalon gardens in long island ny well smithtown ny.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BRITT TANY FONTAINE in Salisbury, Maryland

61 months ago

IAM A CNA.GNA IN SALISBURY MD THE JOB I MOST RECENTLY LEFT I WAS MAKING 10.75 I HAD SOME ISSUES WITH THE EMPLOYER AND END UP LEAVING HER FACILITY. THE ONLY JOB THAT I WAS ABLE TO LAND IS AT AN AGENCY MAKING 8.50 AN HOUR.I WOULD LOVE TO MAKE MORE MONEY THIS IS TERRIBLE WE DO ALOT AS CNA AND WE DESERVE TO MAKE MORE MONEY.I THIMK THE STARTING RATES FOR A CNA SHOULD BE ALEAST 9.50.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JenL1281

51 months ago

Fed up in Baltimore, Maryland said: I just happened to look at the nursing assistant salaries for Baltimore, Maryland and there is no way on God's gorgeous green earth that nursing assistants make that much money. That's insane. Where are they getting these salary totals from? I know one nursing assistant who has been at her job for over thirty years (and she's pretty pissed off about it) and she doesn't make that much money.

I used to be GNA/CNA about 9 years ago and I was makeing $7 to start but then worked there for close to 3 years and was makeing $11.75 by the time I left. I am not sure what the average it now adays in Baltimore, MD. I am actually trying to get recertified but not sure if I will make that much now or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JenL1281

51 months ago

I used to work as a CNA/GNA 9 years ago. I was makeing $11.75 when I left. I am now a Medical Assistant and am looking into being recertified as a GNA/CNA. I was told by a woman who was certified as both that she makes $15.00 per hour since she can draw blood in addition to helping people with activities of daily living. My question is, does anyone have both their CMA(certified medical assistant, not medicine aid) and GNA/CNA? If so, does that hourly wage sound accurate? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

brenda in League City, Texas

49 months ago

When I started out as a CNA in 1994 I started at $5.25 an hour when I left in 2001 I was up to only $7.25 an hour and to the one that is wanting $20 an hour as a new CNA if you find that one PLZZZZ let me know cause sure will move on it. Other than that if you want $20 an hour you best become an RN or better yet a Traveling RN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Vicky in Kenton, Ohio

48 months ago

I think that's a terrible wage, you have to get certified and don't think you don't work your butt off, it's very heavy lifting and you take alot of crap. You can make more money at a Mc Donalds.
I think some of these DON's and HR Directors should come out of there little feasting meetings that they have on how to save a buck and wipe some butt for about a week and then tell how you can live on $7.00 to $8.00 and NO BENEFITS you can't even get a 40 hr. work week, and since everybody's going paperless, why do I get paid every 2 weeks. Try stretching a buck for that long. I think people should start looking into where the heart and soul of this profession really starts at!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

countrygirl in Denver, Colorado

47 months ago

I know the money you make depends on how long you have been a CNA and what your experiences are but if you work with an agency you are likely to make more an hour and get mileage also. That would mean you might have to travel, but travel is good then you can work when you want and go where you want depending on your situation. Good luck with finding the higher paying jobs and believe me they are there just have to do alot of searching to find them. I worked for years as a CNA doing LTC, senior center and Home Health, but with each of these you need to do your homework and keep up on your education hours which helps with your pay. I did private care and made $15/hr, I know that isn't good for everyone but if they need help they will pay almost anything for the care that they get and it needs to be good care, almost 24/7 in some cases. I travel now to different parts of the country and am licensed in 5 different states which is a good thing since the work is also varied from state to state. I work when I need to and take time off when I need to, also the pay is good and the mileage is good too. I hope this helps some of you looking for a job and don't get discouraged with this type of work it will pay off someday for you like it has for me. I am now headed to Texas to work for the same company that I am in Wyoming. Everyone have a gret holiday season and be safe out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ray in Mullica Hill, New Jersey

47 months ago

Can anyone tell me the difference between a LPN and an RN besides the pay?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BV in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

Walking off the job cannot go against your certification. The only way it could would be if your former place of employment was to pay for your certification and you had not taken the test or whatever to do become certified yet. If you had not, then they could revoke the money paid leaving you to pay for the class and testing. If however you already are certified it does not affect you. My boss tried telling me that I have an obligation to stay 6 months after I become certified or he can pull my certification. But that is a bunch of crap. Legally it can't be done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cnamooe in Statesville, North Carolina

41 months ago

annette in New York, New York said: In new york CNA are paid $14.50 as starting and up to $20 if u work night shift

I work in a retirement community in Davidson,NC.Private Pay facility.I started out at$10.15 hr.now make $12.70. Can't imagine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

steph in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

anthony in Birdsboro, Pennsylvania said: hi Mary i was just wondering if you ever found out an answer im from Pennsylvania and i was wondering myself of that rate

WELL I make $10 in pa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kimmy118 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

I work in a hospital in pennsylvania and make $15.12 an hour the lpns make $1.00 more then the aides....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

juicy in Killeen, Texas

38 months ago

yes thats job abandonment

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tambowling in Milton, Florida

35 months ago

I am from florida i went to a vocational school i have been certified since 1989. I started out at six dollars an hour years ago now i make 11 dollars an hour. I will be moving soon to Alabama. I work for a hospice agency and i love it!! I have worked in nursing homes and assited living facility and took alot of crap! I would never work in a nursing home. Hospice Agency is the best place to go. I am very blessed that a have a job in the health field alot of us is not very forinate that They do not have a job.And the job i do is not easy. I am blessed.5

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ms.k in California, Maryland

35 months ago

I work at asbury on solomons island (southern maryland) and i started out making $14 base pay...15 for evening shifts..16 for third shift and 16 for weekends...ive heard it one of the higher paying companies...also we arent understaffed...also heard st.marys nursing center in leonardtown pays well but they are always short staffed and apparently the gnas there are crazy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ms.k in California, Maryland

35 months ago

you can def. make 28k a year in maryland as a cna, just gotta get into the right facility

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angelica in Plymouth, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

anthony in Birdsboro, Pennsylvania said: hi Mary i was just wondering if you ever found out an answer im from Pennsylvania and i was wondering myself of that rate

I make 14.50 an hour in pa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Antony in Washington, District of Columbia

31 months ago

Seckia Houston in Baltimore, Maryland said: I am a CNA in Baltimore MD...I make $14.45 w/ night diff on weekdays and $15.10 w/ night diff on weekends.....Now I am a Nurse Tech...a lot of pwople do not know the difference. That is not to insult anyone just an observation. I went to BCCC and went thru their multi skilled medical tech program which offered cna, venipuncture/ specimen collection (phlebotmy), medical terminology, ekg essentials, and medicine aide. So I am ceritified in all as well as national certification in phlebotomy. Now thru agencies I can make $17-$19 but that would be w/ out benefits. Because I need benefits I make the rate I said above and I get a raise every 2 yrs.

any idea on what the hourly range in Hyattsville MD ..??

any idea on wha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KC in Mount Airy, Maryland

29 months ago

How much dose a cna make near Frederick county area or Baltimore?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

An0n in Halethorpe, Maryland

25 months ago

KC in Mount Airy, Maryland said: How much dose a cna make near Frederick county area or Baltimore?

I work in what is technically Howard County but right on the Fredrick line as a GNA in a skilled nursing facility. They start you at 13.50 if you're new. I personally started a little higher coming in with three+ years CNA experience. CMAs make the same but only work nights in my facility and RN and LPN make the same at 6 figures. Not sure of their $/h but I do know they make 6 figures. Not bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Minuka in Vernon, British Columbia

21 months ago

Hi , i live in B.C Canada and work as a Nursing Assistant with interior health in Extended Care,and we make 22.35 $ hr. (just got a raise from 21.94) Tough work,have about 25 residents to one side you have to look after (along with the help of your coworker) most need total care (slings put in them and lifted in the air using a mechanical lift that is hooked up in each room) but i still can't believe how low the pay is in the US. i know our economy's are different in that stuff is more expensive in Canada,but STILL, it doesn't even out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Miss C in Silver Spring, Maryland

20 months ago

Been working as an admissions counselor in a SNF for 10 years, pay is about 51,000/yr. want to return to school and finish an ADN program. Not sure if I can keep my position nd dedicate te times of day school casses are offered. Since I took health science courses (microbio, a nd p 1,2 and chem) nearly 20 yrs ago, but returned to school in 2001 and took accelerated bachelors program, graduated in 2003- human services. I don't have to take sciences again, but must take path. I want to do well but not sure if I can keep working. Some sites say cna/gna have the potential of earning an upwards of 40,000/yr. by reading comments here, that doesn't seem to be the case unless you're in Canada! I'm willing to take a pay cut, but not by 1/2 of my salary. I'm hoping my agency will consider how long I've been with the organization because I ay be a gna there, while in school. I wanted to do the gna route for more patient care and clinical environment experience although I spend alt of time on the units with the staff and patients. I already deal with a lot of clinical reviews daily and worked as an HHa 20 yrs ago. Medical environment is in my blood. I need to keep a roof over my and my daughters head while in school and have a flexible work schedule and sees gna or security at the front desk are my only options. I'm torn......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Becky in Toledo, Ohio

9 months ago

Sue Sands in Fort Wayne, Indiana said: Is a nursing assistant the same as a certified nursing assistant ? What degrees do you need for eachA?

No it's not. the same. CNA is a certified nursing assistant and STNA is a state tested nursing assistant. meaning because I am taking the state test which is in OHio I would be therefore above a CNA. Also, in ohio the guidelines are strictest in the country for anyone in the medical field. So job wise some actually look at that too to determine salary.
You would get more pay if you have a degree but it's not needed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.