What are typical ophthalmic technician salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 143)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

i matters.net in Apopka, Florida

80 months ago

<Edited by Host: Job opportunity removed>

Thank you all for using the indeed forums. In accordance with our policies, any advertising, contact info or employment offers posted on these forums will be removed. If you would like to contact each other please set up a profile and put your contact info there www.indeed.com/my/profile

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

lellerbrock1 in Aspen, Colorado

74 months ago

Ciara Turner in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Now pay starts at 47,000 standard for a certified ophthalmic tech. When you move up to a COMT the pay is even higher, and it only takes a year and a half to do so.
I am now a student at the college of saint catherine, minnesota. we are one of the few schools that offer an ophthalmic technician program. I love the program, the clinicals and the teacher and very small class size. Its only 9 of us now. Go to www.stkate.edu and check us out. you'll love it, trust me!

Hi Ciara,

What kind of work conditions can a person expect from this technician career? I have a back condition that requires periodic sitting down and resting. Is that possible in this field? How long have you been in school and what do you think of it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Prcatice Manager in Seattle, Washington

71 months ago

Ciara Turner in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Now pay starts at 47,000 standard for a certified ophthalmic tech. When you move up to a COMT the pay is even higher, and it only takes a year and a half to do so.
I am now a student at the college of saint catherine, minnesota. we are one of the few schools that offer an ophthalmic technician program. I love the program, the clinicals and the teacher and very small class size. Its only 9 of us now. Go to www.stkate.edu and check us out. you'll love it, trust me!

Yes but most employers these days will not pay you more whether you are a COA or COT. If you are experienced speak spanish and can retinoscope I have a job for you. I would trade that for the lazy COT I have now who couldn't refract her way out of a glass house. Certification does not mean your able to do the job. I am sorry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Ciara Turner in Saint Paul, Minnesota

71 months ago

I must say that I disagree with you and I agree in some ways. Maybe the location can determine the amount of pay that you will recieve, but I know for a fact what the pay is here in minnesota. I am now in my clinical rotations and I have inquired with alot of coworkers on the amount of pay they recieve and it is always the amount I suggested earlier or more. I believe AAO or JCAHPO has set the regulations for the amount of pay that should be recieved dependent on the level of the tech, (COA<COT< COMT) and they have been following through on their word. Also You must know that alot of COA's are being certified with "on the job training" which is why alot of them dont know what they are doing. They do what they are told and dont necessarily know why or what theyre really looking for. I heard that soon people wont be allowed to have on the job training and will be required to have training from an accredited college or training site, being very fluent in the knowledgeable aspects, as well as the clinical skills. Hopefully when they establish this, we will no longer have people that cant refract through a window lol, so yea thats my spill;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

lellerbrock1 in Aspen, Colorado said: Hi Ciara,

What kind of work conditions can a person expect from this technician career? I have a back condition that requires periodic sitting down and resting. Is that possible in this field? How long have you been in school and what do you think of it?

Well a typical day at clinic for me is going to get the chart and patient, when you bring them back you sit and take the history and perform a series of tests. Most of the tests performed are done sitting down as well. I would have to say that the most standing you do is getting the patients and charts and directing them to a different room. We do sit down alot, and I didnt really notice that;) Ive been in school for three semesters so far and I have two left. I am really enjoying it. The clinical rotations are really fun, you can work in the peds department or adults, which ever you preferr. Its very exciting, more than you would think, you develop relationships with the patients, and its usually a happy atmosphere. Especially working with post ops. I really like it and reccomend it to anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Thanks so much for the positive feedback. I'm so limited in the type of work that i do that i always accept 'sit-down' jobs that are all administrative - and it gets really boring. Do you as a tech need to have 20/20 vision in order to work with the instruments (looking through them etc.)? Or can someone that wears glasses do it with no problem?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Many of the techs wear glasses, I personally dont because i have 20/20 vision, but when doing the tests you can either wear your glasses or set the instruments such as the lensometer to a clear focus for your eyes. You'll be just fine, I gaurantee it;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

O, and your very welcome;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Awesome, thank you for letting me know. I now know that I shouldn't dare be scared of trying that field out. One last question, do you need to be a math wiz or anything to work with these machines? I'm thinking about going to Pima Medical Institute. Can you provide me any information as to an average salary range i can expect with being a tech?

71 months ago

Your very welcome, and no not really. There is a small amount of algebra but you can just manually count from where you started which is fairly easy if you dont want to figure things out algebraically. This is on the lensometer, And also when transposing or finding spherical equivalents. But believe me, I'm not a math wiz and i havent even taken college math yet and im doing just fine. Average starting salary for COT is 47,000. When I researched the occupation part of my research was finding adds in the paper for oph techs and I mainly saw 50-52,000. Its sorta along the same lines of nursing salary. But yes dont give up, it is so worth it in the end!;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Parker, Colorado

70 months ago

Prcatice Manager in Seattle, Washington said: Yes but most employers these days will not pay you more whether you are a COA or COT. If you are experienced speak spanish and can retinoscope I have a job for you. I would trade that for the lazy COT I have now who couldn't refract her way out of a glass house. Certification does not mean your able to do the job. I am sorry.

I agree completely. I have 10 years under my belt. I never got certified because no one cared or would give my a higher pay. Yea maybe a dollar more an hour at one practice. Not worth it. And I have known several techs that were certified that had terrible work ethics and treated patients like numbers. Yea we have to move a lot of patients through, but you can be nice about it. Most techs I'v seen chart WNL for most Tests with out actually testing the patient, Just to move faster. Makes me sick.!!! Illegal as hell too. The pay is not very good considering what we do either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Parker, Colorado

70 months ago

lellerbrock1 in Aspen, Colorado said: Awesome, thank you for letting me know. I now know that I shouldn't dare be scared of trying that field out. One last question, do you need to be a math wiz or anything to work with these machines? I'm thinking about going to Pima Medical Institute. Can you provide me any information as to an average salary range i can expect with being a tech?

I went there in 1999 and graduated. You do not have to be a math wiz. I never was and did fine. I do enjoy the work, but the pace these days in a typical office is very tiring. There is a quota of patients you need to see per day at most places. No time for resting or chit chat! Put on your roller skates!! I would not do it again. The pay is low( 14.00- 20.00 ) 20 for lots of experience. The market is very flooded and there's not many jobs. It's also a dead end job. Not much you'll ever be able to do to advance to a much higher position besides "Lead Tech" I did that job and I still busted my ass for a dollar more an hour. Sorry. Just look at the wanted ads . I'm currently searching for another career path and going back to school soon. I'v been out of work now for a few months. I'm great with patients and an ace with my skills. But nothing available. That really is not what I expected. This time I'm going for something bigger. BA or MA degree. I'm going to get a REAL career. Associates Degrees don't get you much these days. If you don't mind the pay and running your ass off for some greedy doctor, Then go for it. Personally I would not waste my precious time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lellerbrock1 in Denver, Colorado

70 months ago

Thanks for the feedback. I supposed it is a good thing that they couldn't get me in to the course until 2010 anyway (for the hours i needed). I'm going into medical records i think because everything is going electronic and i'm good with computers. Good luck with your job search. On a final note, did you like PIMA for your education and did you feel that they taught you everything that you needed to know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Parker, Colorado

70 months ago

lellerbrock1 in Denver, Colorado said: Thanks for the feedback. I supposed it is a good thing that they couldn't get me in to the course until 2010 anyway (for the hours i needed). I'm going into medical records i think because everything is going electronic and i'm good with computers. Good luck with your job search. On a final note, did you like PIMA for your education and did you feel that they taught you everything that you needed to know?

The Education I received there was good I believe. I knew what I was doing when I got Out. I learned everything I needed to know. Except for the surgery side of it. We had some training but not enough for employers to look at you seriously. You have to get that training on the job. The jobs were plentiful about 8 years ago for a tech. Pay was great and you could pick and choose employers. But things have changed since then. If I'd had done my research better, I would have seen that coming. Something to think about when embarking on a new career path. The medical records thing sounds like a good option. I'm thinking of a BA in computer information at Devry. 3 years and your done. Does not sound like the most exciting of careers, but the salaries are tremendous. Paul

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

I looked into Devry also, but i'm not confident enough on computers to go into that particular field. I have toured their facility and seems that they are a reputable school. Do you think that the reason for job scarcity for techs is that they are pumping out so many new graduates in the Opthalmic tech field? I also have searched on-line - mostly Craig's List for the Opthalmic tech jobs and haven't seen any. I also considered becoming a medical assistant; although there are a lot of jobs out there, seems that the pay isn't as good. The whole career change can be very frustrating to say the least.

Paul in Parker, Colorado

70 months ago

lellerbrock1 in Denver, Colorado said: I looked into Devry also, but i'm not confident enough on computers to go into that particular field. I have toured their facility and seems that they are a reputable school. Do you think that the reason for job scarcity for techs is that they are pumping out so many new graduates in the Opthalmic tech field? I also have searched on-line - mostly Craig's List for the Opthalmic tech jobs and haven't seen any. I also considered becoming a medical assistant; although there are a lot of jobs out there, seems that the pay isn't as good. The whole career change can be very frustrating to say the least.

Yes they have pumped out tons of techs the past several years. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.The past 5-6 years insurance companies are not paying for some services we techs specialize in also. So the Dr.'s dont pay as well. Bummer really. I suck at computer stuff really. But we all have to start somewhere. 60 grand and up for lots of those Computer information system jobs. That's got me motivated as hell. I'm going to check the school out tomorrow. I let you know what I found Out. Gotta run

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Sacramento, California

70 months ago

Hello,

I live in Sacramento CA and I am very interested in becoming a COA/COT...however theres a small problem...no schools! Can anyone give advice on how they got started? There is one school near me but it says they prepare you for being an optometric assistant not a ophthalmic assistant? I also found a program through JCAHPO where its a accredited home study course but you have to work under ophthamologist supervision for 6 months before you can become certified. Any suggestions would be so helpful=)

Julie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Courtney in Petersburg, Michigan

70 months ago

Julie in Sacramento, California said: Hello,

I live in Sacramento CA and I am very interested in becoming a COA/COT...however theres a small problem...no schools! Can anyone give advice on how they got started? There is one school near me but it says they prepare you for being an optometric assistant not a ophthalmic assistant? I also found a program through JCAHPO where its a accredited home study course but you have to work under ophthamologist supervision for 6 months before you can become certified. Any suggestions would be so helpful=)

Julie

Hi Julie,
I took the home study course and found it to be extremely beneficial. I learned a great deal and the course is very thorough and detailed. However, I also did a 4-week internship directly after I completed the course, and from there went on to work at a glaucoma center where I'm working on getting in my 6 months experience so i can get certified :). I certainly do recommend taking the home-study course if no classes are offered, but I will say it's going to be a little difficult to transition from bookwork to a job without having any hands-on training. If you decide to take the home-study course, perhaps call a few ophthalmology offices and see if they would allow you to shadow a technician or at least come in and see the instruments. Hope I was of some help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

wow...thank you Courtney for the great advice. That is a great accomplishment for yourself and I will definately take your advice=)

joni in Seattle, Washington

69 months ago

Courtney in Petersburg, Michigan said: Hi Julie,
I took the home study course and found it to be extremely beneficial. I learned a great deal and the course is very thorough and detailed. However, I also did a 4-week internship directly after I completed the course, and from there went on to work at a glaucoma center where I'm working on getting in my 6 months experience so i can get certified :). I certainly do recommend taking the home-study course if no classes are offered, but I will say it's going to be a little difficult to transition from bookwork to a job without having any hands-on training. If you decide to take the home-study course, perhaps call a few ophthalmology offices and see if they would allow you to shadow a technician or at least come in and see the instruments. Hope I was of some help!

Courtney,

Are the courses diffucult or easy? How much is the program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Courtney in Canton, Michigan

69 months ago

joni in Seattle, Washington said: Courtney,

Are the courses diffucult or easy? How much is the program?

The course itself was a little difficult, but very, very interesting so it makes it exciting to learn. The course that I took included the home-study materials, plus hands-on training and a 4-week internship. It was a program put on through my college. For my course, it was about $1500, but that was with the training and everything included. The textbook by itself is only $145, you can get it from the American Academy of Ophthalmology website at their online store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Courtney in Canton, Michigan said: The course itself was a little difficult, but very, very interesting so it makes it exciting to learn. The course that I took included the home-study materials, plus hands-on training and a 4-week internship. It was a program put on through my college. For my course, it was about $1500, but that was with the training and everything included. The textbook by itself is only $145, you can get it from the American Academy of Ophthalmology website at their online store.

Hi Courtney,

I got a job offer to work at an eye and laser center in Sacramento(yay!!), and I was wondering if you know about the 6 months experience and how they verify it? They are hiring me to start at the front desk but I will still be learning alot along the way. Do you have to be hired as an ophthalmic assitant without being certified? Or just work for an ophthamologist in general for 6 months?

=)Thanks,
Julie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

courteyetech in Palm Coast, Florida

69 months ago

Hello all. I just joined and thought I would throw my own thoughts into this conversation. I can't, of course, speak for everywhere but I know that around here, many Ophthalmology practices will hire people who have no experience (maybe a little general medical experience) and train them, no need for an formal schooling. Many of them also don't care one way or another whether or not you get certified but when changing jobs I have found that my being certified has given me an extra boost over others who are not. It's not difficult at all to get your COA. Home study course then the written and, if I remember correctly, you can do it after getting 2,000 hours of OTJ training. Here in Florida, the average $$ (without experience) is around $10-12 per hour.

69 months ago

courteyetech in Palm Coast, Florida said: Hello all. I just joined and thought I would throw my own thoughts into this conversation. I can't, of course, speak for everywhere but I know that around here, many Ophthalmology practices will hire people who have no experience (maybe a little general medical experience) and train them, no need for an formal schooling. Many of them also don't care one way or another whether or not you get certified but when changing jobs I have found that my being certified has given me an extra boost over others who are not. It's not difficult at all to get your COA. Home study course then the written and, if I remember correctly, you can do it after getting 2,000 hours of OTJ training. Here in Florida, the average $$ (without experience) is around $10-12 per hour.

Hi Courtney, I know the pay scale in florida is much different than California, but I was wondering if you don't mind me asking, what is the pay range for an experienced(2-3 yrs) COA? In my research, it looks like maybe $15-20/hr if you are new and then up from there?

Julie

69 months ago

Sorry , I know you put 10-12 without experience...I guess I meant new to being certified! =)thanks

69 months ago

So in other words, someone goes through schooling to obtain a 2 year associates degree to only make $10-12 per hour? The schools are stating that you can make around $37,000 per year to start. That is dismal news. How much does someone with say, 2 years of experience make on average?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paul Juhl in Castle Rock, Colorado

69 months ago

So your still fishing around at the Ophthalmic tech lake huh? Well from one who has a lot of good experience here in Denver, I can tell you the 37,000 a year is about right, depending on the establishment. But it won't go up much from there. Really! If you get a job in a retina practice you will probably get paid less. The job requires little. They often hire Medical assistants instead. Take a history, vision and maybe a Tono Pen pressure check and your done. A monkey cuold do the job, if one could speak. Nothing against medical assistants. Even they are underutilized at a place like that. I also know of a few practices in town that pay 13-15 hr. to start. They are ones you hear on the radio commercials too. They could certainly afford more. Remember this: Insurance companies are not paying these doctors for Refracting services anymore.(that was a techs selling point a few years ago). So Doctors are doing less and less of that. They are suggesting to younger patients to go to an Optometrist for it or pay an extra 40 bucks or so, on top of their co-pay. So many decline. Hell if the patient doesn't need surgey they are no good to the doctor for the most part. And Guess what, more and more people are going to their optometrist for routine exams now. Insurance companies don't have to pay them as much. And guess who does the refracting at a optometrist? It's the optometrist, not a Tech. Not in 90% of practices. Ophthalmologists are specializing in Glaucoma, Retina, Cornea, Oculoplastics, So they can perform surgery! Thats how they make the money. Not by giving routine eye exams. A few still do routine type work, they just cannot make much at it so they see 60 patients a day. The job is a real drag at that point. I was working for a doctor once who saw 70+ a day. Do the math! Knowing what I know now, I would not waste one thin dime of my time and money on this career. I regret it. I don't mean to be negative. But you cannot count on the field to support you well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Paul.
You're dead wrong. I just started in the field and have been able to make a rather comfortable living, those I work with who have experience have no financial complaints. And we do a hell of a lot more than just take history and vision, and anybody doing pressures with a TonoPen deserves low pay. At my practice we do visions, pressures (Goldmann), BATs, PAMs, K-readings, visual fields, fundus photos, retinoscopy, A-scans, and yes, even refractometry. I'd love to see a generic medical assistant do that. No offense to M.A.s but those are not some basic skills. Plus in Michigan it is going to be required by 2010 that all ophthalmic personnel be certified. If you don't like your job that's fine but don't insult those of us who actually do specialized work and enjoy it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Pablo in Castle Rock, Colorado

68 months ago

Courtney in Canton, Michigan said: Paul.
You're dead wrong. I just started in the field and have been able to make a rather comfortable living, those I work with who have experience have no financial complaints. And we do a hell of a lot more than just take history and vision, and anybody doing pressures with a TonoPen deserves low pay. At my practice we do visions, pressures (Goldmann), BATs, PAMs, K-readings, visual fields, fundus photos, retinoscopy, A-scans, and yes, even refractometry. I'd love to see a generic medical assistant do that. No offense to M.A.s but those are not some basic skills. Plus in Michigan it is going to be required by 2010 that all ophthalmic personnel be certified. If you don't like your job that's fine but don't insult those of us who actually do specialized work and enjoy it.

I had to help out my family jan. and move to Arizona for a while. The top pay out there is about 31,000 yr. Pretty bad as far as I am concerned. Most practices out there don't even let you do a "real" Applination tonometry test with fluorescein on the slit lamp! Really! Not joking! Any ways I came back to colorado after I resolved the situation, and the only positions available are Retina type places that require vision, Tono, Dilate. Period. And it's been months since one finally popped up. I talked to them and they feel with my experience, I would get boored and leave when something better came along. So, Still no job. Maybe I am a bit bitter. Sorry. But I am a damn good tech and feel the profession has let me down. Consider your self lucky. Personally I would love to find a place to use my experience and skills again. Their simply are no opportunities. Thats why I suggested to the person seeking this career should consider something else. In your neck of the woods things sound better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pablo in Castle Rock, Colorado

68 months ago

Pablo in Castle Rock, Colorado said: I had to help out my family jan. and move to Arizona for a while. The top pay out there is about 31,000 yr. Pretty bad as far as I am concerned. Most practices out there don't even let you do a "real" Applination tonometry test with fluorescein on the slit lamp! Really! Not joking! Any ways I came back to colorado after I resolved the situation, and the only positions available are Retina type places that require vision, Tono, Dilate. Period. And it's been months since one finally popped up. I talked to them and they feel with my experience, I would get boored and leave when something better came along. So, Still no job. Maybe I am a bit bitter. Sorry. But I am a damn good tech and feel the profession has let me down. Consider your self lucky. Personally I would love to find a place to use my experience and skills again. Their simply are no opportunities. Thats why I suggested to the person seeking this career should consider something else. In your neck of the woods things sound better.

I did not mean to insult anyone. If you like what your doing,great. Consider yourself fortunate. You may think your experience is the norm, and becoming a tech means that's what you'll get to do. It's not. For many Techs, especailly new grads, employment opportunities are not that glamorous. Not here anyways, not in many places. I have compassion for those who did not know better.The market "here" is pretty bleak, and in my opinion is it's not a good investment for someone considering this field. If relocation to Michigan is not a problem, maybe. All that said, seeing what has transpired over the past several years in the field, automated technology and all, I still sayit's a dying profession. At least if you like "specialized work". Auto this, Auto that. It will all lead to fewer people needed and eventual downsizing, and lower pay because of lower skill level of work. Good luck. Enjoy your job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Diana M in Seabrook, Texas

68 months ago

Due to demands for my husband's job we may be transferring to the Denver area. Been a born and raised Texan that's a little scary. I am trying to find out what the salaries for COT's are. I have been in the field for 21 years and I am one of those tech's that can do everything (not to toot my own horn, my resume and employer recommendations speak for themselves.) Also the availability of positions should we transfer in the next couple of months. I currently make $23/hr

bill in Castle Rock, Colorado

68 months ago

Diana,
I'm not sure how it works in texas, but here you will find years of experience will count for only so much. It's more about the type of position and required duties that determine pay. There's not much available currently here in Denver. $23 an hour might be doable if the right opportunity pops up, but it's rare. I have made that and more here in the past, but currently am working for just slightly more than I did when I first started teching 10 years ago. Then again, not a whole lot is required at many places here, and I need the job. I can fit cls, refract, ultrasounds, ect........ Everything besides surgical assisting. There are simply no highly skilled tech positions available. If you can do lasik work there seems to be a few popping up here and there. Maybe it will be better pickins in a few months when you move. I know the market here pretty well, so if you have anymore questions I would be happy to help you if I can.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

What would you say is the starting pay range for a beginner, and pay range for advanced skills? Here in Denver metro area?

bill in Castle Rock, Colorado

68 months ago

Starting range is between 14 and 17 an hour. After about 5-10 years you can get 19-20 an hour if your lucky and in the right type of practice; one that requires refracting skills on a regular basis. I have recently seen a statistic that said Denver was paying 20% less than average for most states. That was not the case a few years ago but is now. The market is saturated, and some Docs have just become plain old CHEAP. I know a very prominent Dr. in Westminster who starts techs at 13.50 an hour. Insulting really, but true. Your 22.00 per hour positions mainly come with years at a single practice. It is difficult to get that starting off as a new employee anywhere, even with a lot of experience. If you can get into doing Fluorescein angiograms at a retina practice you could get 22.00- 25.00 an hour. Good work if you can find it, but those positions are rare compared to most.

WSR in Toledo, Ohio

67 months ago

Hi Courtney,
I am near Canton Michigan. Can you tell me the name of the college that put on the program and are they still doing this.

67 months ago

Hi WSR, the college was Monroe County Community College. They are still doing the program and I believe a new program should be starting up pretty soon. The class has stayed very small with only 4-7 people in each class so there's a lot of time for questions and individual attention. It's really a great program -- the hardest part is finding a job afterwards, but the college helps with that too!

WSR in Toledo, Ohio

67 months ago

Hi Courtney,
Thanks for the information. I looked it up online and checked it out it looks good with one drawback. From where I am at it seems that the drive is closer to 2 hours from where I am at. Do you know of anything else that is closer to Toledo. Or can offer any suggestion. Thanks

Ebony Beauford in Birmingham, Michigan

66 months ago

WSR in Toledo, Ohio said: Hi Courtney,
I am near Canton Michigan. Can you tell me the name of the college that put on the program and are they still doing this.

They have an Associate Degree program at Henry Ford Community College. I'm starting in the fall.

Joyful in Minneapolis, Minnesota

64 months ago

Ciara,
Are you saying that new grads make 47K COA, but COMT's make even more as new grads? How did you get your info and when?

Tiggr in Houston, Texas

64 months ago

Host said: Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

I make 22/hr.

Mag

64 months ago

Tiggr in Houston, Texas said: I make 22/hr.

I make $28.50/hr

64 months ago

That would mean something if I knew more.
Are you a new grad? How many MD's in the office? A company or private practice?
Full or part time?
Benefits?
Thanks for your help.

64 months ago

Any additional training? are you an office manager?
What type of practice are you in?

Mag

64 months ago

Joyful in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: That would mean something if I knew more.
Are you a new grad? How many MD's in the office? A company or private practice?
Full or part time?
Benefits?
Thanks for your help.

I work full time as an COT . I have 15 yrs of experience and work in New Jersey , in a private practice that has one MD & one O.D.

64 months ago

Any thoughts on what new grads could make?

Alex in Los Angeles, California

64 months ago

How many patients per day does a typical technician take care of?

ben in Parker, Colorado

64 months ago

About 22-26 per day. Thats 4 ann hour for a tech. Tough when most of your patients are older and take 10 minutes to get seated and meds updated. Unless your dr. does not care about seeing that many, which is rare. most dr.s now will see 75 + per day! 3 techs to do the work though. Still, thats lots of patients and makes for a very hectic environment. Sounds like fun huh?

63 months ago

Wow, that's pretty crazy! The ophthalmologist I work for now generally sees 90-100 patients per day, but there are usually 10 techs there to do the work. But I do remember at the other ophthalmology place I worked, there were only 6 techs employed there, yet there was 4 doctors, each with their own load of patients! I am very lucky to be where I am now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ben in Parker, Colorado

63 months ago

Courtney in Canton, Michigan said: Wow, that's pretty crazy! The ophthalmologist I work for now generally sees 90-100 patients per day, but there are usually 10 techs there to do the work. But I do remember at the other ophthalmology place I worked, there were only 6 techs employed there, yet there was 4 doctors, each with their own load of patients! I am very lucky to be where I am now.

I am glad to here it's not like this everywhere. Tucson was the same craze as here in denver. Sad really. I wonder compensation is higher for DR's in your state. We get people coming here from Kansas (5 hrs) for certain treatments because certain things are uncovered or under covered there. Patients save 500 bucks coming here I'v heard. Maybe our Dr's cannot afford to have 10 techs on board?

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.