To be the best...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every outside sales representative must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your outside sales representative expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

PAULA R. in Joy, Illinois

85 months ago

lISTEN, lISTEN, lISTEN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sales Mgr in Minneapolis, Minnesota

83 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every outside sales representative must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your outside sales representative expertise?

Follow up, tenacity and anger for $$$

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nam

79 months ago

1. People Skills: read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie...this book includes many ways you can win your prospects over and get more referrals than you can handle. Here's a quote from Dale Carnegie: "You can close more business in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get people interested in you."

2. Leadership Skills: I would recommend books by John C. Maxwell on this topic. Anyone can lead followers...a great leader leads leaders! This involves helping your sales reps become successful...helping the achieve more than they would have if it weren't for your help and belief in them. Your organization will not grow if you don't develop your leadership skills...ask any successful team builder and I bet you they will agree.

3. Accountability. Over deliver...under promise...not the other way around. Do what you say you're going to do. Do what you must do. Never give anymore excuses...just make it happen. Never ever quit! If you're with a company where you do know someone who is earning $100,000 a year...or even $1,000,000 a year...you can too! You don't have to tell me what the product is or what the company is. If someone is earning the income that you want to earn...and you're in that company...you can earn that amount as well. Jim Rohn has taught me a valuable lesson: "That's all the company pays." - WRONG...that's all the company pays YOU! Until you go out there and make the company write you a bigger check...that's all the company will pay you!!!

I hope this information helps...I didn't plan on writing this post but it was an interesting topic. [comment edited by forum moderator] Thanks and have an awesome decade!!!

Nam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

endlesslight in Hilo, Hawaii

79 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every outside sales representative must have to excel?

integrity, honesty, sincerity, good clear energy and relaxed confidence. People can feel it!-

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Robert L. in Bay Shore, New York

76 months ago

I have a background in retail + a degree. I am used to receiving a small draw+ commission. How do I make the jump to 100% commission when I have a mortgage plus other expenses?? I eventually want to get into Medical Sales & you need outside Sales experience? How do I prepare myself or can I??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nam in Houston, Texas

76 months ago

What do you want to hear about? Motivation? Leadership? Sales and marketing? Internet marketing? If anything...you can always email me at Nam@OpportunityNeverEnds.com and I'll email you whatever you want to hear about...as long as I am familiar with the topic or know someone who is.

Thanks,
Nam

luckydog in Greensboro, North Carolina

76 months ago

courage, commitment, colaboration

Mark in Indianapolis, Indiana

74 months ago

Persistence

Integrity

A helpful, problem solving attitude

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wanda in Indianapolis, Indiana

64 months ago

1. People skills - Nam's reply hit it head on !!!!

2. Service/Follow Up - In a timely fashion...

3. Honestly - Always... No BS games...No one has time...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

topgunsalesman in Allentown, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

You must listen to your customer, you must be able to ask for the sale, Lastly you must be confident in yourself

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.