Boom or bust?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (38)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most outside sales representative opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

bill in St. Louis, MO

96 months ago

i dont know971

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Las Vegas, Nevada

87 months ago

I think the old fashioned way of selling is slowly going away. It seems like most companies are out to make a quick buck and salespeople are succumbing to their employers greed. Here in Las Vegas, their typical advertisement for sales job is written like this: Need agressive, money motivated closer; if you're not making 4K a month you need to be working here! they are mostly looking for a fly by night salesman--maybe i'm old fashioned, but I like to see my customers more than once and sleep well at night knowing I serviced my customers the right way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in San Antonio, Texas

84 months ago

You are right Rob. I have seen ads that read like this: "Looking for semi-obnoxious closer"... Companies seem to be greedier than ever. To heck with ethics, you must be agressive and obnoxious.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dvdkal in Hartland, Michigan

83 months ago

Susan in San Antonio, Texas said: You are right Rob. I have seen ads that read like this: "Looking for semi-obnoxious closer"... Companies seem to be greedier than ever. To heck with ethics, you must be agressive and obnoxious.

I agree with both of you. I find at 52 years old it is hard to find a job. So what if you have experience, integrity, able to build strong relationships and close deals. Try some seasoned sales people, we might surprise you.
Think of your Dad being out of work. Before you know it, the time clock will find you in our shoes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nam

78 months ago

There will always be a need for outside sales representatives. In fact, many of my friends who have been in the profession for several years have figured out that big companies pay big money for outside sales. For example, some of them have strated outsourcing marketing firms that go door-to-door or business-to-business for AT&T, Verizon, Reliant Energy, Comcast, Time Warner, Dish Network, DIRECTV, etc...these marketing firms make a big pile of money. Swimming pool companies, pest control, lawn care, meat vendors...there are many many companies that need outside sales and some of them...that's their only model to acquire customers. It's real easy to see why...they don't pay a dime to advertise their product/service until someone makes a sale. It is their most effective way to get customers without spending huge amounts of money on mass media advertising.

Being obnoxious won't get you to the top. Being unethical won't either. If you care about the customer more than you do about your pay check, you'll most likely end up making more money anyway. There are always both...obnoxious and not...ethical and not...you pick what you want to be because the choice is yours!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

shannon.mohr@yahoo.com in Seymour, Tennessee

72 months ago

Nam said: There will always be a need for outside sales representatives. In fact, many of my friends who have been in the profession for several years have figured out that big companies pay big money for outside sales. For example, some of them have strated outsourcing marketing firms that go door-to-door or business-to-business for AT&T, Verizon, Reliant Energy, Comcast, Time Warner, Dish Network, DIRECTV, etc...these marketing firms make a big pile of money. Swimming pool companies, pest control, lawn care, meat vendors...there are many many companies that need outside sales and some of them...that's their only model to acquire customers. It's real easy to see why...they don't pay a dime to advertise their product/service until someone makes a sale. It is their most effective way to get customers without spending huge amounts of money on mass media advertising.

Being obnoxious won't get you to the top. Being unethical won't either. If you care about the customer more than you do about your pay check, you'll most likely end up making more money anyway. There are always both...obnoxious and not...ethical and not...you pick what you want to be because the choice is yours!

Thanks,

I needed that. I just took an outside business to business sales job that I am very excited about, but was a little nernous as well. I agree with you and I love your outlook!

Shannon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nam in Houston, Texas

72 months ago

You're very welcome Shannon...good luck with your new sales opportunity!!! If anyone in your company is making a 6 figure annual income...then so can you.

72 months ago

Thank you.

I'm working for a "payment system" company which processes credit cards, checks, etc. and I'll have 3-4 pre set appointments a day. I'm also able to visit as many businesses on my own as I like. The commission is phenomenal.

Have you ever sold in this field? Whether or not, do you have any advice for me? I've sold timeshare, advertising, Tru Green...you name it. Advertising was business to business as well, but that was yeaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrs ago!

MY greatest assett is that I can get along with ANYONE. My father taught me from diapers I believe... that as long as you can get along with anyone, fit in in anyone's situation., whether they don't have a pot to P in, or have a golden toilet on a yacht, I'd be fine. Well, I've always lived that philosophy, and I have been fine, but now I want to be GREAT!

Shannon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nam in Houston, Texas

72 months ago

I have and it's just like anything else in my opinion. You have to give it a chance and stick with it long enough to see success. I know of many who are in that field and make six figure annual incomes. It just depends on you. If you have a rough start and decide to give up while a person that started the same day you did...with the same company and the same compensation plan sticks with it for at least a year or two...that person might end up making the big bucks while everyone else who quit talks bad about it and tries to give their opinions to others...which unfortunately ruins other people's chances at success.

I just had a talk with one of my mentors the other day about this. Generally, there are 3 types of opinions/advice...

1. Those who failed
2. Those who never even tried it
3. Those who succeeded at it

I recommend you talk to those in the industry that have made it. In my opinion...that's the smartest thing to do. Ever heard the saying...even the blind squirrel can find a nut?

Email me any time Shannon... Freedom@Only398.com

72 months ago

I will be emailing you soon. But for now...where do I find the people who've succeded in this business for sound advice?

And no, I never have heard "even a blind squirrel can find a nut", but I get it.

Shannnon

Nam in Houston, Texas

72 months ago

Does your company have top producers that can train you? Do they have an annual convention or regional events where top sales people are awarded? If so...that's where you want to be to meet the upper echelon of your industry...search for industry events as well (normally an annual convention for payment services or such).

Your goal is to get someone's processing statement and give them a comparison of what your rates are versus what they're paying. If you can get their statements and your rates are lower...the longer you can talk to them about how much they'll save...the better of a chance you'll have at closing the sale. Send all your clients a thank you card when they sign with you...and send the rest of them a "nice to meet you" card. If they were pretty receptive when you talked to them...save their contact information for follow up...ask them when their contract expires. Always ask for referrals!!! Business owners know other business owners and recommend good salespeople to their friends.

If you go to www.Only398.com and use that service to send cards...you should have no problem developing repeat and referral business.

Other than that...you should have tons of business cards and attend networking functions. Read a book called "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie...take good notes! Learn that people don't care about you...they care about themselves...so to be a successful networker...learn how to ask them questions so that they can talk about themselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

chris in Middletown, New York

72 months ago

Nam said: There will always be a need for outside sales representatives. In fact, many of my friends who have been in the profession for several years have figured out that big companies pay big money for outside sales. For example, some of them have strated outsourcing marketing firms that go door-to-door or business-to-business for AT&T, Verizon, Reliant Energy, Comcast, Time Warner, Dish Network, DIRECTV, etc...these marketing firms make a big pile of money. Swimming pool companies, pest control, lawn care, meat vendors...there are many many companies that need outside sales and some of them...that's their only model to acquire customers. It's real easy to see why...they don't pay a dime to advertise their product/service until someone makes a sale. It is their most effective way to get customers without spending huge amounts of money on mass media advertising.

I work for a company who gives me a decent base and no commissions. I am now doing the job of the 4 sales men we used to have. The owners only seem to interested in keep up the high salaries and life style. Any advice????

Nocci01 in Austin, Texas

72 months ago

Hello Chris,

Tell me more. Are you having fun what you're doing? You mentioned getting paid decently...I've found through giving an ear to all my friends, family and acquaintances that most people aren't exactly satisfied with the pay they get.

One of my favorite is a mentor who taught me not to ever say "that's all the company pays." In reality, that's all the company pays you!

You are the variable in anything you do. Some companies pay top producers six figures annually...even multiple six figures...while others in the same company with the same job, product/service to represent, compensation plan...only make ~$30,000 a year. Why the difference?

Another thing you may consider is owning your own business or having an income stream that allows you to write your own pay checks (whether it's all commission or you own your own business).

Anyhow...I can't really answer your question because I don't know what advice you're really looking for. If anything...learn from the owners...hopefully they're decent and ethical people. Get to know them first...find out where they came from and how they did it. Then you'll have a road map and maybe know how to get from where you are now...to where you want to be.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

caseymcc in Blountville, Tennessee

72 months ago

Hey!

I have looked at payment processing ads, and have been turned off because most are interested in what they can make off you, and not the other way around. What company do you work for? You can reply to mccins@hotmail.com if you don't want that info public here.

Thanks!

Opp4u in Los Gatos, California

69 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most outside sales representative opportunities?

The key is all about timing and positioning: get in at the right time and with the right company and do your due diligence/research. email me for more information at zhealth@zriioffice.com

eban2008 in Middletown, New York

69 months ago

I agree with the people that said today big companies even small ones wantthat quick buck. I am lucky that I have bosses who believe in building relationships with customers. Have we forgotten the 20/80 rule. I have many customers who stay with me because I can take care of them when they need our service.
I believe sales is about the relationships and trust you build with them over a period of time that keeps them comming back. A long forgotten aspect that alot of big companies seem to push aside
is show the customer you really care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

FB2

60 months ago

It sound like the same company I'm waiting to be interviewed for. Let me know how things work out!

shannon.mohr@yahoo.com in Seymour, Tennessee said: Thank you.

I'm working for a "payment system" company which processes credit cards, checks, etc. and I'll have 3-4 pre set appointments a day. I'm also able to visit as many businesses on my own as I like. The commission is phenomenal.

Have you ever sold in this field? Whether or not, do you have any advice for me? I've sold timeshare, advertising, Tru Green...you name it. Advertising was business to business as well, but that was yeaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrs ago!

MY greatest assett is that I can get along with ANYONE. My father taught me from diapers I believe... that as long as you can get along with anyone, fit in in anyone's situation., whether they don't have a pot to P in, or have a golden toilet on a yacht, I'd be fine. Well, I've always lived that philosophy, and I have been fine, but now I want to be GREAT!

Shannon

FB2

60 months ago

It sounds like the same company I'm waiting on an interview for.
Let me know how things turn out!

Lynndiver in Sarasota, Florida

55 months ago

I have a few interviews this week with some Pest Control Companies.
I have been in outside sales for over 6 years, but I stayed busy by referral and never had to sell door to door. I sold Carpet and flooring.
Anyone out there in the business that can give me some advice or tell me what a day in the Sales field is like?
Is it mostly leads or is it door to door all day?
Thank you very much!!!!!

Terminix, Orkin, Middleton, Truly Nolen, Massey, Florida Pest Control, Etc........

Chris in Concord, North Carolina

55 months ago

Rob in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I think the old fashioned way of selling is slowly going away. It seems like most companies are out to make a quick buck and salespeople are succumbing to their employers greed. Here in Las Vegas, their typical advertisement for sales job is written like this: Need agressive, money motivated closer; if you're not making 4K a month you need to be working here! they are mostly looking for a fly by night salesman--maybe i'm old fashioned, but I like to see my customers more than once and sleep well at night knowing I serviced my customers the right way.

Wow I could not agree more, this was written like a true salesman. Today it is all about how much how quick and companies wonder why they have trouble keeping great salesmen/women and clients

Chris in Concord, North Carolina

55 months ago

Nocci01 in Austin, Texas said: Hello Chris,

Tell me more. Are you having fun what you're doing? You mentioned getting paid decently...I've found through giving an ear to all my friends, family and acquaintances that most people aren't exactly satisfied with the pay they get.

One of my favorite is a mentor who taught me not to ever say "that's all the company pays." In reality, that's all the company pays you!

You are the variable in anything you do. Some companies pay top producers six figures annually...even multiple six figures...while others in the same company with the same job, product/service to represent, compensation plan...only make ~$30,000 a year. Why the difference?

Another thing you may consider is owning your own business or having an income stream that allows you to write your own pay checks (whether it's all commission or you own your own business).

Anyhow...I can't really answer your question because I don't know what advice you're really looking for. If anything...learn from the owners...hopefully they're decent and ethical people. Get to know them first...find out where they came from and how they did it. Then you'll have a road map and maybe know how to get from where you are now...to where you want to be.

Good luck!

Thank you for the advice. The owners are spoiled kids who really dont work hard for what they have. As the kids are all under 36 and take home 5000 a week net they are rarely at the company and are impossible to talk to they take offense to anything that is asked or suggested. You mentioned my own business, I have put much thought into to this and I am thinking maybe not such a bad idea. i am also reading a book called Become who you were born to be by Brian Souzia.

I am like the majority in that it is tough to change FEAR. Maybe this book can give me direction on overcomming.Do you have any suggestions for my late change in direction

Chris

Dricoman in Mesa, Arizona

53 months ago

I just spent the last six years as a outside dale rep. working for a local family owned multi store auto parts company. I saw the market change overnight when a huge parts distribution company moved into town and took half of our business. They are the H---Dep-- of auto parts if you catch my drift. They under cut our prices and took the best of our customers and left the dogs/problem customers for us to service. I see this the wave of the future and since the early 1990's I have watched three step distribution(manufacturer,warehouse distributor,Jobber/Auto parts store) go to two step and expect it will go to one step as manufacturers figure out a way to do it and not make to many people mad in the process. I suspect it's going on at ebay now. Do you guys see this trend in your neck of the woods?

Taco in Summerville, South Carolina

53 months ago

Merchant Services is the way to go...every company I know uses a terminal to get paid...who carries money now adays????

If you can sale and talk to people at the same time this is the way to go...work your ownn schedule do your thing...the money is Your limit...the more you work the more money you make. Its not rocket science...

If interested email me at tclark@globalcardprocessing and I will get you started...give it a try for 3 months, if you don't like it move on...yep its that easy.

Why wouldn'y You give it a try?

53 months ago

Taco in Summerville, South Carolina said: Merchant Services is the way to go...every company I know uses a terminal to get paid...who carries money now adays????

If you can sale and talk to people at the same time this is the way to go...work your own schedule do your thing, be your own boss...the sky is Your limit...the more you work the more money you make. Its not rocket science...

If interested email me at tclark@globalcardprocessing.com and I will get you started...give it a try for 3 months, if you don't like it move on...yep its that easy.

Why wouldn't You give it a try?

I will try...I'll contacy you asap.....what do I have to loose but 3 months...

53 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Email me for outside sales rep positions: tclark@globalcardprocessing.com, I can get you started if interested...give me 3 months of your time if you don't make enough money...you can move onto something else...but you will make the money...I am sure of that!

Thank you for your time

53 months ago

dvdkal in Hartland, Michigan said: I agree with both of you. I find at 52 years old it is hard to find a job. So what if you have experience, integrity, able to build strong relationships and close deals. Try some seasoned sales people, we might surprise you.
Think of your Dad being out of work. Before you know it, the time clock will find you in our shoes.

Email me for outside sales rep positions: tclark@globalcardprocessing.com, I can get you started if interested...give me 3 months of your time if you don't make enough money...you can move onto something else...but you will make the money...I am sure of that!

Thank you for your time

53 months ago

shannon.mohr@yahoo.com in Seymour, Tennessee said: Thanks,

I needed that. I just took an outside business to business sales job that I am very excited about, but was a little nernous as well. I agree with you and I love your outlook!

Shannon

Thank you for your time

53 months ago

caseymcc in Blountville, Tennessee said: Hey!

I have looked at payment processing ads, and have been turned off because most are interested in what they can make off you, and not the other way around. What company do you work for? You can reply to mccins@hotmail.com if you don't want that info public here.

Thanks!

Thank you for your time

53 months ago

FB2 said: It sound like the same company I'm waiting to be interviewed for. Let me know how things work out!

Thank you for your time

53 months ago

Lynndiver in Sarasota, Florida said: I have a few interviews this week with some Pest Control Companies.
I have been in outside sales for over 6 years, but I stayed busy by referral and never had to sell door to door. I sold Carpet and flooring.
Anyone out there in the business that can give me some advice or tell me what a day in the Sales field is like?
Thank you very much!!!!!

Terminix, Orkin, Middleton, Truly Nolen, Massey, Florida Pest Control, Etc........

Thank you for your time

et823aa in Annapolis, Maryland

43 months ago

Rob in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I think the old fashioned way of selling is slowly going away. It seems like most companies are out to make a quick buck and salespeople are succumbing to their employers greed. Here in Las Vegas, their typical advertisement for sales job is written like this: Need agressive, money motivated closer; if you're not making 4K a month you need to be working here! they are mostly looking for a fly by night salesman--maybe i'm old fashioned, but I like to see my customers more than once and sleep well at night knowing I serviced my customers the right way.

If it sounds bad it usually is bad....work in a decent sales job. I've worked in many and this sounds awful

Dricoman in Mesa, Arizona

43 months ago

Rob, They want you to use your car and gas and work for 100% commission. They better have a great product or service that everyone needs. Have we been reduced to this? The place I worked for lost 50% of their wholesale business a few months after I left.

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

Over the years, whenever I have gone to job fairs, there are a lot of places that are looking for outside sales reps. Unfortunately, I stopped going to them because I don't have a car and I take public transportation. It's not even worth my time going there.

Some sales jobs want you to be a one-call closer. How can that be? That's just impossible. Suppose the customer is not ready to make a decision yet. He or she needs some time to talk it over and think about it. You let the customer know when he or she will make a decision and then you try to get back to the customer.

Personally, if it's a one-call close, then it must be a high-pressured sales job right there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kris C in North Hollywood, California

42 months ago

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania said: Over the years, whenever I have gone to job fairs, there are a lot of places that are looking for outside sales reps. Unfortunately, I stopped going to them because I don't have a car and I take public transportation. It's not even worth my time going there.

Some sales jobs want you to be a one-call closer. How can that be? That's just impossible. Suppose the customer is not ready to make a decision yet. He or she needs some time to talk it over and think about it. You let the customer know when he or she will make a decision and then you try to get back to the customer.

Personally, if it's a one-call close, then it must be a high-pressured sales job right there.

You took the words right out of my mouth! I went on an interview today for an outside sales rep position for a construction company. I'd be selling kitchens, windows, roofs, patio overhangs, etc. I would have to use my car, my gas, and get paid 100% commission only! The appts are set for me, but the interviewer said that if we don't get the customer to buy when we meet with them, we lose it altogether. There is no getting back with the customer later to follow up, etc., etc. So, literally, these customers are having someone knock on their door to set up an appointment, then a few days later a sales rep has to go and quote them something like $13,000 and close the deal on the spot. I'm not experienced in this field, but this seems CRAZY! I myself DO NOT make decisions on the fly like that especially when that much money is on the line. The company could care less because if I don't sell, they don't have to pay me a dime. They claim they have several reps making six figures annually, but it just seems so irrational for someone to part with several thousand dollars after a little presentation. Sorry, it's just me venting.

Philip Klinck in Simpsonville, South Carolina

38 months ago

Dont expect to get rich your first year and you may like what we have to offer. You market yourself and around the 3 year mark you will be making 5-8k a month without having to do any more selling. Having a marketing budget to start with helps but is not necessary.

Philip Klinck
Owner/CEO
Tobuso.com
Total Business Solutions
P - 8 6 4 - 7 3 5 - 5 3 6 6
philip@tobuso.com

Fair split over interchange. Learn how to market yourself to do 30 deals a month from your house.

Caroline in Charleston, South Carolina

31 months ago

I am considering working for a Pest Control Company in outside sales! They're saying I could make $50 my first year. Does that sound about right or crazy? It's a lot of calling and residential door-to-door type sales. Looking for opinions.....thanks!

Caroline in Charleston, South Carolina

31 months ago

Lynndiver in Sarasota, Florida said: I have a few interviews this week with some Pest Control Companies.
Thank you very much!!!!!

Well....did you end up working for a Pest Control Company? Which one? I had an interview Friday with one. I curious as to how your situation turned out!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.