MT become PA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

asjohnsonMT in Watertown, South Dakota

66 months ago

Does anyone have suggestions about a Med Tech becoming a PA?

I passed my ASCP, and like being a Med Tech - I would like to pursue more options. I don't think a masters in heme or blood banking/immunoheme would excite me so much, but Path A sounds interesting.

How do I know if I have the "credentials" to do this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CADILLAC in Detroit, Michigan

66 months ago

I am a Med Tech and was admitted to Wayne State's program for the fall. I rotated through hematology, lood bank and chemistry. It was an overall good experience. Being a Med Tech gives you a leg up on other applicants because of your lab background. Sevety four people applied this year for the Pa program, but, only ten were selected.

Based on the interview questions they asked me you should have a solid background in the lab. Processing specimens is the majority of a APA's work. To me being a med tech is boring, but there is a lot of excitement in being an APA.

Best WIshes

rawsean in Chicago, Illinois

66 months ago

I was an under paid PA for eleven years.The field is interesting and always full of work.This time in my life I'm going back to school to get a degree in this field so I can move around from state to state.

Daniel in League City, Texas

60 months ago

Hi,

I'm a Senior CLS student graduating in August 2010. I also have a previous BS degree in Microbiology. I haven't worked as a certified CLS but I have >5 years experience working in academic research. I also plan on sitting for the ASCP and working as a CLS, but I know in my heart I'll still want to get an advanced degree, a Master's at the very least.

My question is, given my background, do I have the right credentials to get into a PathA program? I have my eye on Duke and Drexel - how hard is it to get into their program? Did you apply to these schools? What made you decide to go to the university where you went to?

Also, did you get to work at least part-time as a Med Tech while still in school? I understand that PathA programs are rigorous so working is greatly discouraged, but I'd still like to be able to get some income while in school and not depend entirely on financial aid.

Thanks!

SWSPRING in Iowa City, Iowa

57 months ago

asjohnsonMT in Watertown, South Dakota said: Does anyone have suggestions about a Med Tech becoming a PA?

I passed my ASCP, and like being a Med Tech - I would like to pursue more options. I don't think a masters in heme or blood banking/immunoheme would excite me so much, but Path A sounds interesting.

How do I know if I have the "credentials" to do this?[/QUO

I took the same route you did and got accepted into PA school. You definatly have a good background to get in.

MedTech in Indianapolis, Indiana

53 months ago

I applied to a pathologists assistant program last year. I had been a med tech for two and a half years at that point. I had three great letters of recommendation (a lab supervisor, a med tech program director, and a pathologist). I met all the minimums to apply and had completed all of the prereqs. I did not get in because my undergrad GPA is only a 3.3. So good luck.

justme in Cambridge, Massachusetts

53 months ago

How do you know your GPA was the reason? Did you receive feedback from the schools? Were you invited to interview?

53 months ago

Yes, I got an interview, which actually seemed to go really well. I had been in contact with the program director via email before even applying (asking questions, verifying things, etc), so about a week after my interview she emailed me and said I didn't get accepted. I only applied to one program because it was close to home. I emailed her back and asked her what I could do to improve my chances in the future and she said it was my GPA. So unless I go take a bunch of math/science classes and ace them, there's not much I can do. My GPA (total and math/science) met the minimums but were not competitive enough. The average GPA accepted into that program this year were: math/science 3.54 and overall 3.66.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

justme in Cambridge, Massachusetts

53 months ago

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you plan to reapply? Maybe to more schools?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

I've spent the last few months trying to find out if another career in the medical field suits me better but I can't find anything. So I'll probably reapply for PA school. Just hope the other candidates are a little less smart this year, haha.

medtech in Houston, Texas

53 months ago

mt indianapolis just keep reapplying...keep ur head up..if thats what u want then go for it regardless of how many times they reject u.....keep applying until they get tired of seeing ur application then they'll have no choice but to accept you.

i have been mt for about 1.5yrs now and will definately apply for PA sch...MT is cool but i cant see myself doing it for the rest of my life, having to work 2 jobs to make ends meet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

just me in Cambridge, Massachusetts

53 months ago

I too looked into other fields but, none of them intrigued me as much as being a PathA does. I'm applying this year also. Good luck to us both!

inva in Alexandria, Virginia

47 months ago

I would like to apply to pa school. I have a BS in human service and a 2 yr degree as a medical lab tech mlt(ascp). I have taken the required courses such as A and P, organic chem, biology, chem, and statistics. I wanted to know is there anybody out there that has gotten into pa school without a BS in science or allied health? Do I have a chance of getting in even though I don't have such BS. Also I do plan on shadowing a pathologist and doing as many volunteer hoursthat i can do.

AK48 in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

I too am currently a MT major in undergrad (junior) and sounds ok but im pretty much doing just because it sounds like i can get a job right out of school. I already have to stay a year extra due to switching majors my sophomore year into BIO. Trying to decide if I want to take pre-reqs for MT and for pathologist assistant and physician assistant (not a big deal). Anyone have any recommendations on MT vs path. assistant vs phys. assistant, more so the Path vs phys. which would be better career (Environment, prestige,salary, job availability)

Luke in Troy, Michigan

45 months ago

Hello, I'm trying to get into pA program but looks like people with a lab background are prefered more than others.
I completed a Nuclear medicine technology program and was wondering about my prospects getting into this program. I have no lab experience!!!! My GPA is pretty good. Can anyone give me some good advice.

Tammy in Columbia, South Carolina

44 months ago

Luke, get as much shadowing experience as possible. You can contact the AAPA (www.pathassist.org/) and they will help you find someone you can shadow.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.