Prarie state college Dialysis Technician Course

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

joshuajroberts in Ashtabula, Ohio

50 months ago

This is a growing field and yet I have found it very difficult to find a reputable school or institution to attend for hemodialysis technician training in Ohio. Owens community college, the largest community college in northwest Ohio is considering offering a hemodialysis program but will need a minimum level of interest before they will offer the program. Is anyone else interested in hemodialysis technician training in Ohio?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kristen in Norcross, Georgia

47 months ago

i live in GA NOT ONE SINGLE COMMUNITY COLLEGE HAS A DIALYSIS TECH PROGRAM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

joannesmat003 in Blue Island, Illinois

44 months ago

You do not have to have current certification BEFORE getting hired as a dialysis tech anywhere. Fresenius offers a training program as well as DaVita. DaVita I know, offers new technicians one year before having to become certified, from the date of hire. Obviously, in order to sit for any of the exams, you need at least 6 months experience/ work hours.

peachy in Anonymous Proxy said: Your employer will train you once you get hired. There's no truth that once you take the course in any school offering this class esp the school mentioned in this forum, that you will find a job. I applied in Fresenius and DaVita and they never heard about any school that offer this course because they do the training.

Any school offering Dialysis tech course is only after your money. They cannot guarantee that you will find a job, most esp now that it's a requirement to be a certified hemodialysis tech before they hire you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

joannesmat003 in Blue Island, Illinois

44 months ago

DaVita offers a program called SIP (student internship program). They work with the student currently in an educational program, such as Prairie State's dialysis tech program, and offer clinical education and time in training from the clinical perspective. You can inquire about this through the instructor or at a DaVita clinic.

Keep in mind, SOME clinics will hire and fully train new, completely unexperienced people to be dialysis technicians. It is rare, but the opportunities are out there.

I'm not against taking a college course for dialysis technicians, but most of these programs do not offer certification at the end of the program because they simply cannot. Whether you sit for the NANT exam, or the BONENT, you will need at least 6 months experience working as a dialysis technician, which you won't have after successful completion of the college program. You will still need to gain some type of employment or clinical internship to get that experience before becoming a state certified dialysis tech.

It's not a bad career move though. I've been at it going on 9 years now. I love it, but I was lucky back in my day. I faxed my resume to a clinic that was hiring, and was fully trained in a 8-10 week program they put together. At that time, I wasn't even experienced in healthcare, let alone nursing or patient care. That was then, this is now. You just need to keep your eyes open for the opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jacqueline S. in Chicago, Illinois

34 months ago

I went to a school that provided 11 weeks of training. In my opinion it was just a fly by night we only care if you pay us school. The class was so big it was not enough seats for the students. We were promised clinicals which only happened once.Never got to set up a machine; when i went out to do my internship, i was totally lost. I applied for so many jobs it's ashame. I have medical assisting, phlebotomy,cna under my belt and can't get a job. If anyone is aware of x-traning you're more than welcome to contact me. thanks for listing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

SimpeQT in Farmington, Michigan

28 months ago

Anybody know how many moths you need to take dialysis tech here in MI?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Roselle, Illinois

28 months ago

tessa in Des Plaines, Illinois said: I took Dialysis in Jethro School and now I am working as a Tech. I like the job rather than being a CNA. It is easier and have overtime.

how much was the training at the school in des plaines?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lawson4u2 in Chicago, Illinois

28 months ago

Jacqueline S. in Chicago, Illinois said: I went to a school that provided 11 weeks of training. In my opinion it was just a fly by night we only care if you pay us school. The class was so big it was not enough seats for the students. We were promised clinicals which only happened once.Never got to set up a machine; when i went out to do my internship , i was totally lost. I applied for so many jobs it's ashame. I have medical assisting, phlebotomy, cna under my belt and can't get a job. If anyone is aware of x-traning you're more than welcome to contact me. thanks for listing.

What was the name of the place that you do not reccommend! Was it TTI. call me if you know of an adequate place. mac X has a course but is much too long. Truman also has a class that is semester. that that i

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.