Is It Too Late For Me To Take PCT Course? Am I Too Old?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (41)

margie in Brooklyn, New York

65 months ago

this for isis67901 in New Jersey, your not too late to go back to school for pct Im 53 and I just finish a course in dialysis technician do not let youe age stop you good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Clifton, New Jersey

64 months ago

margie in Brooklyn, New York said: this for isis67901 in New Jersey, your not too late to go back to school for pct Im 53 and I just finish a course in dialysis technician do not let youe age stop you good luck.

Thank you so much!~

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

tara theus in Cordova, Tennessee

63 months ago

isis67901 in Wallington, New Jersey said: I am a 51 yr old woman who went to school 1 1/2 yrs ago for CMA. I can't find a job. I want to go for PCT but, I am going to be 52 soon. Is it too late for me cause of my age to get a job? I aced the CMA course & I know I can with the PCT. I am so undecided. School starts July 6 & I need to give them an answer. I hate office work. So that's why I learned CMA. I loved it. But I am afraid cause of my age if I will get a job. The school has externship the last term which I heard helps you get hired if you are good. I really want to do this, & since being laid off since November (got a Receptionist job after CMA course)I am so afraid. I am a single mom & need a job but...and the job market is really bad.

I need advice please.
Thank you

It is never to late to learn and experience different things. I am trying, as of today to become a PCT and I just got back from orientation. The course is only a 8 Month course and you and I think you are qualified for the course. my handbook says that you have to be 18 years of age or OLDER! So I strongly encourage you to take the class and don't let your age discourage you from doing what you want to do and i think based on your age, you would be better for the job than someone my age or younger because you just might have more experience taking care of people and patience and to me, that's an A + in my book. I wish you all the luck and take care!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

CNA in Memphis, Tennessee

63 months ago

tara theus in Cordova, Tennessee said: It is never to late to learn and experience different things. I am trying, as of today to become a PCT and I just got back from orientation. The course is only a 8 Month course and you and I think you are qualified for the course. my handbook says that you have to be 18 years of age or OLDER! So I strongly encourage you to take the class and don't let your age discourage you from doing what you want to do and i think based on your age, you would be better for the job than someone my age or younger because you just might have more experience taking care of people and patience and to me, that's an A + in my book. I wish you all the luck and take care!!!

tara theus I been looking for a PCT program could you tell me where you will be attending.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

It's just depends on the area you live in. I am taking my NET test in my hometown which happens to be Ripley, Tn but the PCT course is in Alamo Tn. Concorde in Memphis, Tn is offering the course but you can also college surf and they will find the school closes to your area. You can go to www.patient care technician.com or www.collegesurfing.com. Let me know if this information helps and take care!!!

pattip

63 months ago

I am 56 and in the middle of my PCT program. I have never felt like I don't belong, even though most of the students are younger than me....after I finish this, I am going for an LPN....go for it....you only get older, so why not also be smarter?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

That is great that you are in the middle of your PCT course and that you feel comfortable being around other students that are younger than you are. I am glad that you are choosing to expand your education in the LPN field. My grandmother has a private nurse who is a LPN and I spoke to her about the PCT course and she told me that was the best thing to do and a great place to start as a PCT. She said the one thing PCT teaches is drawing blood and the LPN doesn't teaches that. She said that is actually how she learn how to take blood is through the PCT course and I was really shocked to hear that considering how a LPN is the next step from a PCT or CNA. Mrs. Patti, I wish you all the luck and to others that is considering PCT course, listen to Mrs. Patti because she an inspiration to all who thinks that they are to old to learn and thinks they are to old to be smarter. Take care! Tara

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pattip

63 months ago

Thank you for your kind words, Tara. I have a lot of "kids" in my class and I love them all. Good luck to you and never be afraid to try something, even if others may think it is silly. My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner, so I would have had more time to work in a field that I have always wanted to be in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

pattip said: Thank you for your kind words, Tara. I have a lot of "kids" in my class and I love them all. Good luck to you and never be afraid to try something, even if others may think it is silly. My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner, so I would have had more time to work in a field that I have always wanted to be in.

You are so welcome and even though things are not falling into place the way I thought it would, I am the type of person that will not give up and I will not give in. If I think positive, something positive will come my way. People (including myself)need to learn how to wait on God!! That's explains the reason why things are not falling in place for me is because I am always rushing and not having patience. I need to let go and let God step in and make a way. Mrs. Patti, I too wish I had of gotten into the nursing field sooner but I had to put my dreams aside and concentrate on my daughter's dreams/ goals. She graduates from high school next year so now I am preparing myself to get more focus in school. You might have regrets about your past but your future will be rewarded. Take care!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

luvandlite in Atlanta, Georgia

63 months ago

isis67901 in Wallington, New Jersey AND PattiP.
In a month, I will be 50 years young and making a career change into the healthcare field. I started my transition when my choosen profession started to go down the toliet when the economy when south. I spent a good part of my adult life working in Hotels and never found my proper place. It wasn't until I started working at an Assisted Living faciliy that I feel that I found my true calling. I was so motivated to work on a one on one basis witht the residents that I completed and became state certified as a nurse's assistant. I have so much joy working with seniors and can not wait til I get through the red tape and start my new career venture. I found out that my employer will reimburse at 100% for me to go back to school to study nursing so I am going to go for it.

I look at it this way. Time is going to pass anyway.. whether or not I go back to school .. So why not do something with that time that will not only make me feel fulfilled but will bless someone else in the process !

Be Blessed Ladies :-D !

choc in Saint Clair Shores, Michigan

62 months ago

It is sad. People dont waste your money going to school for anything medical except NURSING. All thats hiring. They wont tell you that cause they want the money. They say how in demand it is for PCT and/or Medical assistant. Its not. First off they want you to have experience but will not hire you because you just got out of school. Secondly, if you have an intern they will use you then say their is no open positions available. Then they will offer you a position but it will be part time like 20 or less hours a week. Its a joke. Everyone in school for medical and therefore the field is now overun with pcts and medical assistants. I am both and also a CNA. Still unemployed unless I take a job making 9.00 and hour as a CNA. I didnt go to school and pay out so much money to make 9.00 and hour. Medical field is a joke. How can you gain experience if noone gives you an opportunity. Michigan SUCKS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ann in Moore, South Carolina

62 months ago

There are other jobs in the medical field such as medical codeing that pays pretty good Phlebotomy Emergency Medical Technician Arrhythmia these fields do not take long to complete

62 months ago

I am so sorry you are having a hard time finding a postion tha pays a decent wage. Yes, it is true CNA's dont make that much money. The Detriot job market is severely depressed. All industries are suffering. I agree that beocming a nurse is more lucrative.. but CNA's do fulfill a purpose. Everybody has their own limits but I encourage you to give any viable option a chance... One must PAY THEIR DUES.. Crawl before they walk... etc..
The industry needs caring, dedicated people ..
Try to look at it another way. You are an important member of the healthcare wellness team...

choc in Saint Clair Shores, Michigan said: It is sad. People dont waste your money going to school for anything medical except NURSING. All thats hiring. They wont tell you that cause they want the money. They say how in demand it is for PCT and/or Medical assistant. Its not. First off they want you to have experience but will not hire you because you just got out of school. Secondly, if you have an intern they will use you then say their is no open positions available. Then they will offer you a position but it will be part time like 20 or less hours a week. Its a joke. Everyone in school for medical and therefore the field is now overun with pcts and medical assistants. I am both and also a CNA. Still unemployed unless I take a job making 9.00 and hour as a CNA. I didnt go to school and pay out so much money to make 9.00 and hour. Medical field is a joke. How can you gain experience if noone gives you an opportunity. Michigan SUCKS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

choc in Roseville, Michigan

61 months ago

Dont go to Career Health Studies in Eastpointe Michigan. LISA LUDY is a joke and her school should be shut down. She places noone and you realy don't learn anything and she will not return phone calls and she will not get on the phone after you graduate and she is a LIAR. I am reporting her very soon and that school is going to be under investigation as soon as possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

choc in Roseville, Michigan

61 months ago

luvandlite in Atlanta, Georgia said: I am so sorry you are having a hard time finding a postion tha pays a decent wage. Yes, it is true CNA's dont make that much money. The Detriot job market is severely depressed. All industries are suffering. I agree that beocming a nurse is more lucrative.. but CNA's do fulfill a purpose. Everybody has their own limits but I encourage you to give any viable option a chance... One must PAY THEIR DUES.. Crawl before they walk... etc..
The industry needs caring, dedicated people ..
Try to look at it another way. You are an important member of the healthcare wellness team...

And yet I still can't find a job. Even as a CNA nowadays. I may have to leave Michigan which from what I hear alot of people are doing. By the time the economy comes up Michigan will have lost most of it's residents.

61 months ago

Dearest Choc in Roseville...
I wish you all the best in your venture.. do what you gotta do..

bugsmar in Bronx, New York

61 months ago

I am a CNA and CNAs do make money it just depends where you are at. I am doing two jobs one as a perdiem where I earn $14.32. The next one I just start, part tine It starts at $16.81 and after three months I will be getting $17.32. It's a union job (1199) and and comes with benefits. Although the said the position is part time, i am doing my five shifts every week. I only got my state certification in January of this year. It was hard for me to get in the door so i started with an agency earning $8hrly. I did this for about2 months,while sending out applications. After I got my fist job I drop the agency. For new CNA agencies is the best way to get your foot in the door. Next google search all nursing home & hospital near you and send out application. As to age and limit, I believe that only death should stop anyone from achieving whatever they set out to do. I applaud all of you elderly who are stepping up the line, don't give up,don't quit the fight. Be all you can and then some.

ann in Moore, South Carolina

61 months ago

You may make this because the cost of liveing is higer there jobs in the South
don't pay as well you could make 13.00hr which would pretty good pay start your
on business in cna as a privite sitter charge what you want

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

NOT HAPPY in Roseville, Michigan

61 months ago

I would love to start a business with my own practice. How do you get that started? If alot of CNA's and Medical assistatnts and patient care techs kinda get together they could start something and make their own money. Take out the big company that does nothing. lol. Sounds good, wish it could happen.

NOT HAPPY in Roseville, Michigan

61 months ago

You know what, I take my CNA test in Sept. You are right, nothing but death can stop you from achieving your dreams and desires. But, how do you find CNA agencies. I am in Michigan. We have home health agencies but I rarely see CNA agencies anymore....

Ann in Moore, South Carolina

61 months ago

Iam working on a buniness plan know to show CNAs how to start there own business
I never heard of a CNA Employment Services

61 months ago

Iam working on a business plan know to show CNAs how to start there own business

61 months ago

Iam working on a business plan now to show CNAs how to start there own business

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Advisor Misty in sterling heights, Michigan

61 months ago

Advisor Misty, Sterling Heights Michigan:

I too wish to go back to school currently I have an appt. at Dorseys Medical Scool, where I will take up Medical Assistant/Dialysis Tech. I was feeling a little insecure because I was getting older. I already worked as a medical asst. in 2002 then I quit to work as a Mental Health Care worker I loved that job, while doing all of that I am still working as a Spiritual Practitioner planning to recieve my Doctorate next Year. That's only so that I may go into business for myself and open up a shop...My passion is the Medical Field. I am very glad I came to this site, I was feeling a bit older and wondering what else was I going to do with the rest of my life, besides be a Spiritual Practioner. I am very good at what I do, and a lot of people call on me. I just need to do something else extra. There is still a big void in me.

Sandy in Miami, Florida

60 months ago

choc in Saint Clair Shores, Michigan said: It is sad. People dont waste your money going to school for anything medical except NURSING. All thats hiring. They wont tell you that cause they want the money. They say how in demand it is for PCT and/or Medical assistant. Its not. First off they want you to have experience but will not hire you because you just got out of school. Secondly, if you have an intern they will use you then say their is no open positions available. Then they will offer you a position but it will be part time like 20 or less hours a week. Its a joke. Everyone in school for medical and therefore the field is now overun with pcts and medical assistants. I am both and also a CNA. Still unemployed unless I take a job making 9.00 and hour as a CNA. I didnt go to school and pay out so much money to make 9.00 and hour. Medical field is a joke. How can you gain experience if noone gives you an opportunity. Michigan SUCKS.

Sorry...making $9 an hour in an LTC is better than having no job at all. Why should a hospital hire you with no experience when there are more qualified candidates? It actually costs them money to train someone with absolutely no experience...so why should do that? That's why they call us the entitlement generation. Work in a nursing home for 6 months to a year for $9 an hour and then apply to a hospital when you have the experience they want. Most other PCT's had to do that so why should you be any different? If you're not willing to work in the trenches then don't complain because you can't get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

0516@att.net in Spartanburg, South Carolina

60 months ago

Hospital do hire without exerience you can also be
a caregiver or sitter chareging your own rates you have
to learn to be more creative and business minded also
more positive

AdvisorMisty in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

Wow I hope that was not a response to my comment. That response was quite negative. I don't agree with the person who said don't go to school for anything medical. I do not agree with that, simply because the medical field is really booming right now. You have to be willing to extend yourself. I start school on september 28, 2009 right now I am in school for cna so that once I am finish I can work as a cna,until I finish going to school for a dialysis pct. To work as a Dialysis PCT coming in from the outside sometime they want you to have some kind of medical exp. so when I apply for my job I will have; Medical Assist., Phlebotomy, Direct Care Worker, And C.N.A. experience under my belt. So that should count for something. Plus I will be coming from an accredited shcool that has been around for over 30 yrs. and very well know...............

AdvisorMisty in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

Oh oops My mistake, You said don't go to school for anything except nursing. Okay I got you, but I still don't agree.

ann in Spartanburg, South Carolina

60 months ago

AdvisorMisty have you figureed out what your passion
really is think of something you can do all day without
getting paid yes there are many jobs in the medical
field that pay very will not just nurseing as I said
before be more creative think out of the box relocate
to another city some CNA jobs in some cities pay more

Bill in Estero, Florida

60 months ago

ann in Moore, South Carolina said: There are other jobs in the medical field such as medical codeing that pays pretty good Phlebotomy Emergency Medical Technician Arrhythmia these fields do not take long to complete

I was looking into EMT Basic class, but if you check the employment websites, depending on where you live, most jobs are "per diem" which won't provide a liiving wage or they're volenteer (Virginia seems to be big on that). Many of the people going for the clas are taking it as part of a firefighter's career here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

totally agree in Greenville, Michigan

47 months ago

I totally agree with you Michigan SUCKS I am also CNA and PCT certified been trying to find a job for the last 3 months I get no where. Even go and bug the HR office at these places and call get no where. Usually a big attitude is all I get. Every job I applied for wants at least 6 mts or more experience. I can't even get into a nursing home any where. What good is it to spend a bunch of money on an education when no one wants to hire you. I will probably end up working at Menard's making 7.50 an hour part time because that is the only one that seems to what to hire me. I am 38 have 10 years experience making car mirrors then got laid off. So I have a very good work history and still nothing I try everyday and It really sucks trying to stay optimistic about finding something.

Rolinda in San Diego, California

45 months ago

Hi Sandy, I agree. The "Me" generation with the air of "Entitlement". Most in this generation are unwilling to work an entry level position to gain the experience employers value and earn their way to the top. Instead they expect to start at a higher level. As a new graduate in the Graphics Field I started with an entry level position, gaining experience and increasing my salary as I worked my way up; until I experienced my third layoff during my 10 year career due to company downsizing, loss of contracts and revenue. After some soul searching, I knew I needed a new career. My Mom, who worked as a Medical Technologist was diagnosed with cancer and
while accompanying her to all her appointments I observed the great care she received from her healthcare providers and realized I wanted to be a part of that. My Mom who was a very wise woman, suggested
(RT)Respiratory Therapy. As a new RT graduate 13 years ago, I started with an entry level per diem position,
went through a 3 month probationary orientation and training period, worked days and nights, gaining
experience and respect, while increasing my salary, and finally scored a Full Time Day position. I like what I
do and I work with a good employer whose priority is our patients. I am very happy with my salary. I receive
merit and cost of living increases every year. The jobs are available. Everyone must start somewhere and entry level a good start. Enjoy the journey.

Steven McKay in Colorado Springs, Colorado

45 months ago

In 1986, I'd become so sick of the entry-level job market that I joined the military in order to leave El Paso county, which I'd learned to despise. I'd worked part-time in so many jobs that I had to live with my mommy almost a decade after I graduated from high school. A college education was less than helpful to employers who seemed interested only in experience that I'd never get.

Carole at yahoo in Deltona, Florida

45 months ago

So many of you people are correct.I'm a certified and state licensed PCT,CNA,HHA and also have an A.S. degree in medical assistance.I am in debt over $16,000 and guess what I do for a living? I'm a sitter for an agency that doesn't give a crap about you or anyone else.....all they see is the dollar sign.Doctors do not hire med.assists. without prior experience.Working in the hospital as a PCT is ok if you don't mind 12 hour shifts and nurses that treat you like dirt.Not to mention the work is very demanding and you work with every type of person that exists, no matter how dirty or nasty or disrespectful......Honestly,I would choose a nursing home over all but that's my preference when you can get it.Do not waste your money on billing and coding.It's all done by computer now....who are they kidding?
Bottom line is, most of the short term nursing classes are only money collectors.Save your money unless you plan on LPN and above.
Good Luck to all

Angelika

45 months ago

I am so darn sick and tired of people acting like nursing is the end all to be all, yes I plan on eventually becoming an RN but first I am starting at "the bottom" as a CNA, I am so freakin proud of my CNA and do not regret it, it was cheap compared to an LPN or RN program,and there are alot of nurses who can not find jobs so do not think being a nurse is like some magic wand and you'll immediately find a job and make a ton of money and have all the respect. I know that by being a CNA i'll be an even greater nurse and will truly know if this is the feild I wan to be in regardless of how demanding it is or how bad the patients are.

klop in Herrin, Illinois

43 months ago

Wow, whole bunch of complainers here. You have to get creative sometimes to get a job. Volunteer at a medical facility to get your foot in the door. Get to know the staff. You'll get in there.

Sheeple in Bellflower, California

40 months ago

Sandy in Miami, Florida said: Sorry...making $9 an hour in an LTC is better than having no job at all. Why should a hospital hire you with no experience when there are more qualified candidates? It actually costs them money to train someone with absolutely no experience...so why should do that? That's why they call us the entitlement generation. Work in a nursing home for 6 months to a year for $9 an hour and then apply to a hospital when you have the experience they want. Most other PCT's had to do that so why should you be any different? If you're not willing to work in the trenches then don't complain because you can't get a job.

Stupid one, how can a person survive for $9/hour? It's the fat cats who profit and roll in money while country is going bankrupt. They profit and profit.. while people do slave jobs for $9/hr

vkat in Front Royal, Virginia

27 months ago

I agree with so much that has been posted. I got my CNA license in VA in 2010, worked at an assisted living for almost a year, then was hired as a "tech" in October 2011. I was under the impression I would start off "around" 16-18/hr. They offered me 12/hr and I accepted thinking I would just move on up from there....WRONG! We are basically treated like paid slaves, the nurses who are half of my age bark orders at us, walk right by the call lights, and sit at the computer chatting during most of the shift while we the techs run ourselves ragged the entire time!! I have never been treated like an ignorant piece of garbage until I started working as a "tech". We do blood draws, IV's, folis, EKGs and ALL patient care for a fraction of what the nurses make. Basically ALL they do is dispense medication. Such a joke.

Betty Hughes in Durham, North Carolina

27 months ago

vkat in Front Royal, Virginia said: I agree with so much that has been posted. I got my CNA license in VA in 2010, worked at an assisted living for almost a year, then was hired as a "tech" in October 2011. I was under the impression I would start off "around" 16-18/hr. They offered me 12/hr and I accepted thinking I would just move on up from there....WRONG! We are basically treated like paid slaves, the nurses who are half of my age bark orders at us, walk right by the call lights, and sit at the computer chatting during most of the shift while we the techs run ourselves ragged the entire time!! I have never been treated like an ignorant piece of garbage until I started working as a "tech". We do blood draws, IV's, folis, EKGs and ALL patient care for a fraction of what the nurses make. Basically ALL they do is dispense medication. Such a joke.

Hello Vkat, No you're never to old, you're how you feel, the bottom line is, branch out to Dialysis units, first go online and fill the application out than go there person to person so you can let them know your qualifications,and you can be a great access to the company, you can make a different,and let them know you just want to make a different in others life.Go in there with positive thinking, we can be whoever you want to be, that up to you. I'll pray for you Vkat to get in the door,God bless.Betty from Carolina.

P. L. Andrews in Conyers, Georgia

27 months ago

I am a newly certified PCT. I took my NHA Exam and achieved a score of 92 on May 25th. I would like to know if anyone has any knowledge of any medical facilities, clinics or (long stetch) a hospital that would let me volunteer or do an internship? It does not have to be a paid externship. I really just want the hands on experience. I am finding even with a CNA license experience is a requirement. I just want to get my foot in the door. I am a hard worker and eager to learn. I would love to train or intern as a dialysis tech, but I would be grateful for any experience.

Thanks so much!! Best of success to us all!!

Betty in Durham, North Carolina

19 months ago

I'm looking for work in Durham N.C.,have experience in P.C.T.in Dialysis, anyone know of a clinic that's hiring? Need help, Thank you.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.