Cost of Patient Care Tech Training

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (30)

Eddie in Miami, Florida

61 months ago

Does anyone know how much it costs to take a patient care tech course at a vocational school? I just read one school charges nine grand but I've also heard as low as 1,100. Patient Care Techs are CNA's...there is no way I am going to pay 9 grand for that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (81) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

laurel in Chester, New Hampshire

52 months ago

Eddie in Miami, Florida said: Does anyone know how much it costs to take a patient care tech course at a vocational school? I just read one school charges nine grand but I've also heard as low as 1,100. Patient Care Techs are CNA's...there is no way I am going to pay 9 grand for that.

Just a tip. Here in Columbus, Ohio a company called Fresenius Medical Care will train you on the job. So, you get paid and they will reimburse you for your BONENT exam if you pass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

laurel anne in columbus, Ohio

52 months ago

curious gal in sacramento or Oakland, California said: Hello

can anyone pls tell

if I can transfer my cna certification from California to NY?

Anyone knows the telephone numb for the state board for CNA's and I can ask find out

would I get employed with just being a CNA or do i have to do the PCT training?

Appreciate your assistance

Thank u[/QUOTE

In columbus, oh Fresenius Medical Care will train you on the job, and will reimburse your BONENT exam if you pass.

Regarding your CNA a would think you would call your State Board of Nursing for questions. Here it would be Ohio Board of Nursing. And to work as a dialysis tech, CNA, may help you get in at FMC, but you would still need to get a PCT license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Momo in Phoenix, Arizona

51 months ago

laurel in Chester, New Hampshire said: Just a tip. Here in Columbus, Ohio a company called Fresenius Medical Care will train you on the job. So, you get paid and they will reimburse you for your BONENT exam if you pass.

Is this if you are already a CNA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

moniqua.brunson@yahoo.com in Brooklyn, New York

51 months ago

Agnes in New York, New York said: I am looking for a school to training in Phlebotomy , PCA or PCT
where are the schools located in NYC?

There is a school in Brooklyn New york located at 25 elm place and they offer Cna for $850, Ekg and Phlebotomy for $900. The CNA class last six weeksand the Ekg/Phlebotomy last eight weeks look in the classified section of the daily news for the number and address

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mizz-Indy in New York, New York

51 months ago

A. Slye in New York, New York said: I would like to know where I could get free PCT or low-cost PCT training in or near Manhattan?

Try work force one in nyc 215 West 125th Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10027
Between 7th and 8th Avenues (also known as Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd & Frederick Douglass Blvd.)
# nine one seven four nine three seven zero five four They have vouchers that cover the cost of PCT CNA and a lot of other trainings. u gotta attend a orientation first Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

A. Slye in New York, New York

51 months ago

THANKS A BUNCH.

On top of everything else I have to do such as apartment hunting, you have saved me a lot of time and sweat. Blessings to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

babygirl in Franklin, North Carolina

49 months ago

jeanette in Lake City, South Carolina said: I am looking for a school in lake city or florence where I can take a class in patient care but I can't seem to find one can you please help me out. thank-you

did u find one cause they have a training class in lake city call medical training center and got like about 4 or 5 in florence training classes and also one in johnnsonville if u need any info i will be glad to help u

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joshuajroberts in Ashtabula, Ohio

49 months ago

This is a growing field and yet I have found it very difficult to find a reputable institution to attend for hemodialysis technician training in ohio. Owens community college, the largest community college in northwest ohio is considering offering a hemodialysis program but will need a minimum level of interest before they will offer the program. Is anyone else interested in hemodialysis technician training in northwest ohio?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wylene in Farmington, Michigan

48 months ago

Eddie in Miami, Florida said: Does anyone know how much it costs to take a patient care tech course at a vocational school? I just read one school charges nine grand but I've also heard as low as 1,100. Patient Care Techs are CNA's...there is no way I am going to pay 9 grand for that.

Hi Eddie, the patient care tech also does EKG, Phlebotomy, and Radiology assist. They should be able to take the national phlebotomy certification upon completion and the certified nurses aide for Florida.You can also work in a doctors office doing back office skills like phlebotomy and EKG and even point of care testing. Its the new LPN pretty much. MY shcool offers it at 1950.00 for 16 week course . Many schools have been charging 9 - 12 thousand... for more info you can go to www.iicetraining.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

lucie pierre in West Palm Beach, Florida

47 months ago

marilyn in Bronx, New York said: thank you very much .....this was the best piece Of info I have gotten...I would have gotten into big trouble if I would have taken pct first....I will go for cna and work my way up from there....I originally was going to lpn but there are waiting lists and I am impatient..thanks!

i live in florida, last year i graduate from fcc as a patient care tech now i work for palm west medical center getting paid 17 dollars an hour. the only thing i do daily is vital sign,ekg,.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Luigi

47 months ago

lucie pierre in West Palm Beach, Florida said: i live in florida, last year i graduate from fcc as a patient care tech now i work for palm west medical center getting paid 17 dollars an hour. the only thing i do daily is vital sign,ekg,.

Hey, I live in South Florida too. When you say FCC you mean Florida Career College? Did they do job placement and get you into the hospital or did you get it on your own? I ask because I hear hospitals don't usually hire PCT's who have no experience so I'm really curious about if schools can get you in. Also, I heard FCC doesn't have an EKG course with their PCT program so did you learn EKG somewhere else?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

blew2002 in Dallas, Texas

45 months ago

Shari said: No way would I pay 7,200 for a PCA course and here are my reasons.

1) Most hospitals will not hire without experience. Newbie PCA's wind up working as CNA's for $8-$10 an hour in nursing homes. They could have just studied to become CNA's for a lot less.

2) Why would I take out a $7,200 loan to make $8-$10 an hour?

3) You could go to school and study to become an RN for less than $7,200.

4) Since hospitals will not hire without experience in most cases, it is more cost effective and time effective to take a CNA course, work as a CNA for 6 months to 1 year, and then apply for a job at a hospital. The hospital will then provide you with the necessary PCA skills and you won't have to go broke paying for it.

Many vocational schools across the country charge thousands of dollars for PCA courses. They are ripping you off big time. And no, there are PCA classes you can take for $1000 and sometimes less. You just have to look and not fall for the ads these vocational schools run in the middle of the afternoon. People forget these tech schools are private businesses and some of their courses, like PCA's, are vastly overpriced when you look at the pay and difficulty finding hospital work a new, inexperienced PCA is going to have to deal with.
But by the time newbie PCA's realize this, they are already thousands of dollars in debt.

Thank you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

janice dickerson in Hartford, Connecticut

43 months ago

Mizz-Indy in New York, New York said: Try work force one in nyc 215 West 125th Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10027
Between 7th and 8th Avenues (also known as Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd & Frederick Douglass Blvd.)
# nine one seven four nine three seven zero five four They have vouchers that cover the cost of PCT CNA and a lot of other trainings. u gotta attend a orientation first Good luck!

WOW!!! I know they have a W.F 1 in the Fort Lauderdale area but I wish they had one here in the Hartford, CT area as well. I would LOVE to find a very low cost or state funded, FREE training program! I'm gonna call that NYC one and ask them if they know of one here...and visit my local unemployment office to see if they can be of some insightful, help! Thanks for sharing that wonderful information!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kevin in Tucson, Arizona

43 months ago

1) Most hospitals will not hire without experience. Newbie PCA's wind up working as CNA's for $8-$10 an hour in nursing homes. They could have just studied to become CNA's for a lot less.

4) Since hospitals will not hire without experience in most cases, it is more cost effective and time effective to take a CNA course, work as a CNA for 6 months to 1 year, and then apply for a job at a hospital. The hospital will then provide you with the necessary PCA skills and you won't have to go broke paying for it.

Many vocational schools across the country charge thousands of dollars for PCA courses. They are ripping you off big time. And no, there are PCA classes you can take for $1000 and sometimes less. You just have to look and not fall for the ads these vocational schools run in the middle of the afternoon. People forget these tech schools are private businesses and some of their courses, like PCA's, are vastly overpriced when you look at the pay and difficulty finding hospital work a new, inexperienced PCA is going to have to deal with.
But by the time newbie PCA's realize this, they are already thousands of dollars in debt.

in arizona cna's need to be board certiifed and have to be taught by rn's, so anything online wouldn't work. I have NO IDEA where you could get rn training for 7000 dollars, thats ridiculous. Rn's have bachelors degrees, so maybe 30000 would make sense. It is true that many of the for profit schools cost excessive amounts but if it has on the job as part of the training you can get a decent job out of it. I wasn't able to get the loan to become a cna only for whatever reason but 9000 to be a pct isnt too shabby if I end up in a hospital that will pay to make me a real nurse.

cost benefit analasys people, think long term

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

sue in White Plains, New York

36 months ago

marilyn in Bronx, New York said: thank you very much .....this was the best piece Of info I have gotten...I would have gotten into big trouble if I would have taken pct first....I will go for cna and work my way up from there....I originally was going to lpn but there are waiting lists and I am impatient..thanks!

Forget the LPN...it's being phased out in the near future. If you are going for the education..Go for the LPN,,2yrs..community college the cheapest tuition.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sue in White Plains, New York

36 months ago

sue in White Plains, New York said: Forget the LPN...it's being phased out in the near future. If you are going for the education..Go for the LPN,,2yrs..community college the cheapest tuition.

Sorry,,,Go for the RN program

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan Kieft in Rocky Hill, Connecticut

29 months ago

janice dickerson in Hartford, Connecticut said: WOW!!! I know they have a W.F 1 in the Fort Lauderdale area but I wish they had one here in the Hartford, CT area as well. I would LOVE to find a very low cost or state funded, FREE training program! I'm gonna call that NYC one and ask them if they know of one here...and visit my local unemployment office to see if they can be of some insightful, help! Thanks for sharing that wonderful information!!!

Hello. I also live in the Hartford area. I'm currently in nursing school (R.N.) & I want to become a pca or cna. Were u able to find a low cost OR state funded program???
Please let me know.

Ryan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

janice dickerson in West Hartford, Connecticut

29 months ago

Hi, unfortunately, it seems most if not all of the free or low cost training programs have been stripped, dismantled and done away with because of lack of funding. The Urban League offered free training, but no more. So, did Connecticut Training Center in East Hartford. I don't know what is happening with them but you can call Donna Purdy and see what she has to say. Maybe she can lead you in another, better, direction.

Note on the Connecticut Training Center, Inc has suspended the enrollment of new students. Former students and alumni seeking transcripts and other information may contact Donna Purdy

You might want to inquire about the CNA program through St. Martin's Church in Hartford which was connected at one time to the Seabury Retirement home in Bloomfield. It is (or was) run by Mrs. Bennett whose late husband founded it. They too, run out of funding at times so it's sketchy as to when it will open up again.

P.S: Another thing you can do to find a recommended school or program...ask! Ask any female you see in scrubs out and about...or working in a medical office. Ask them where they went to school and they'll happily tell you...the good and the bad. That's one of thee best ways to learn first hand (through personal word of mouth!) about which schools or programs will be the perfect fit! Good luck! Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Ryan Kieft in Rocky Hill, Connecticut said: Hello. I also live in the Hartford area. I'm currently in nursing school (R.N.) & I want to become a pca or cna. Were u able to find a low cost OR state funded program???
Please let me know.

Ryan

I almost forgot....have you looked into Medical Temp agencies? There are a lot of 'em that are looking for help in private homes...on and off the bus line. If you can get a private, live in patient job, that's even better because it pays more! Hope I've helped. Good luck!

29 months ago

Oh! and one more school you could try...Prince Tech vocational school in Hartford. I believe they have a nursing program as well. Don't know about the cost though....but it's worth a try!

lakbro3 in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

Hi, I'm a CNA and is currently working in the field for over a year. I'm also a Medical Assistant and work in the field from 2002 to 2007 but I didn't get certified. I would like to know if anyone know where I can go get on the job training to become a Patient Care Tech or a Dialysis Tech. I would also like to know if there is any place you can go to and get your skills updated for Medical Assistant so I can sit and take the certification test as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

none in Chicago, Illinois

28 months ago

i wa thinking about becoming a CNA.!

28 months ago

Find a medical temp agency. That's one of the quickest and easiest way to get on the job training! Sometimes hospitals themselves offer training as well. Call their human resources department and ask! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26 months ago

OUR Nursing Assistant, Phlebotomy, EKG, PCT Training Course are NOT a 1-2 weeks Prep or REVIEW course; they are full training program including classroom, Lab and hands-on clinical externship at a licensed healthcare facilities.

Call us to Register www.skctihealthcare.com
Day/Evening and Weekend Classes
Payment Plan Available!

WE TRAIN YOU TO BECOME PROFESSIONAL:

CERTIFIED NURSING ASSISTANT (CNA) 120 hours 6-8weeks

HOME HEALTH AIDE (HHA)---(75hrs--3weeks) (165hours 4-6weeks)

PATIENT CARE TECHNICIAN (PCT)---600hours Up to 5-7months

PATIENT CARE ASSISTANT (PCA) 300hours Up to 3-4months

ELECTROCADIOGRAPH AIDE, EKG TECHNICIAN---75/165hours 4-8weeks

PHLEBOTOMY TECHNICIAN---75/165hours 4-8weeks

"CC" PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR -40hours

"D" SECURITY OFFICER TRAINING-40hours

AHA CPR TRAINING IN A FEW HOURS.

WE ALSO PROVIDE IN-SERVICE/CEUS HOURS SUCH AS: AHA CPR, First Aide, HIV/AIDS, BBP, Domestic Violence,, ELDERLY ABUSE, IV THERAPY, INFECTION CONTROL, Prevention of Medical Errors, HIPAA, Alzheimer, Conscious Sedation and Much More Continuing Educations (CEUs) are Available .

AMaldonado,RMA(AMT) in Killeen, Texas

20 months ago

Shari said: No way would I pay 7,200 for a PCA course and here are my reasons.

1) Most hospitals will not hire without experience. Newbie PCA's wind up working as CNA 's for $8-$10 an hour in nursing homes. They could have just studied to become CNA's for a lot less.

4) Since hospitals will not hire without experience in most cases, it is more cost effective and time effective to take a CNA course, work as a CNA for 6 months to 1 year, and then apply for a job at a hospital . The hospital will then provide you with the necessary PCA skills and you won't have to go broke paying for it.

Actually you're wrong a CNA you aren't qualified to do much. As a patient care tech you fall on the same level as a Medical Assistant. As an RMA I'm trained to work front and back of the office,clinic/hospital and can work in almost any specialty. MA and PCT make more then a CNA. At least in most places. If you really want a nursing job shoot for your RN.

AMaldonado,RMA(AMT) in Killeen, Texas

20 months ago

Oh and BTW I didnt have to pay for my CPR first aid OSHA HIPAA certifications it was all included in the cost of the program and the program took 8 months and I hold NATIONAL certification

Stephanie George in Texas City, New Jersey

13 months ago

one done with the completion of the patient care technician program challange the national certification to become a certified patient care technician

for more information visit nccanow.com/patient_care_technician_certification.html

Exam Layout nccanow.com/exam_layouts.html

Also the student will be eligible to take
Phlebotomy Technician Certification nccanow.com/phlebotomy_technician.html
EKG Technician Certification nccanow.com/ekg_technician_certificaion.html

The exams are clinical and theory

Also the student can be eligible for Restorative Aide Certification nccanow.com/restorative_aide_certification.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie George in Texas City, New Jersey

13 months ago

John in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: OUR Nursing Assistant , Phlebotomy, EKG, PCT Training Course are NOT a 1-2 weeks Prep or REVIEW course; they are full training program including classroom, Lab and hands-on clinical externship at a licensed healthcare facilities .

Call us to Register www.skctihealthcare.com
Day/ Evening and Weekend Classes
Payment Plan Available!

WE TRAIN YOU TO BECOME PROFESSIONAL:

CERTIFIED NURSING ASSISTANT ( CNA ) 120 hours 6-8weeks

HOME HEALTH AIDE (HHA)---(75hrs--3weeks) (165hours 4-6weeks)

PATIENT CARE TECHNICIAN (PCT)---600hours Up to 5-7months

PATIENT CARE ASSISTANT (PCA) 300hours Up to 3-4months

ELECTROCADIOGRAPH AIDE, EKG TECHNICIAN---75/165hours 4-8weeks

PHLEBOTOMY TECHNICIAN---75/165hours 4-8weeks

"CC" PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR -40hours

"D" SECURITY OFFICER TRAINING-40hours

AHA CPR TRAINING IN A FEW HOURS.

WE ALSO PROVIDE IN-SERVICE/CEUS HOURS SUCH AS: AHA CPR, First Aide, HIV/AIDS, BBP, Domestic Violence,, ELDERLY ABUSE, IV THERAPY, INFECTION CONTROL, Prevention of Medical Errors, HIPAA, Alzheimer, Conscious Sedation and Much More Continuing Educations (CEUs) are Available .

Your can offer the NCCA Certifications for your students

Medical Administrative Assistant www.nccanow.com/medical_administrative_assistant_certification.html
Medical Billing and Coding www.nccanow.com/medical_billing_and_coding_certification.html
Phlebotomy Technician Certification www.nccanow.com/phlebotomy_technician.html
Clinical Medical Assistant www.nccanow.com/medical_assistant_certification.html
Patient Care Technician Certification www.nccanow.com/patient_care_technician_certification.html
EKG Technician www.nccanow.com/ekg_technician_certificaion.html

The exams for certification are 2 section CLNICAL EXAM + THEORY EXAM
FOR more information in the exam visit nccanow.com/exam_layouts.html

MsLove0916 in Orlando, Florida

7 months ago

kevin in Tucson, Arizona said:

in arizona cna's need to be board certiifed and have to be taught by rn's, so anything online wouldn't work. I have NO IDEA where you could get rn training for 7000 dollars, thats ridiculous. Rn's have bachelors degrees, so maybe 30000 would make sense. It is true that many of the for profit schools cost excessive amounts but if it has on the job as part of the training you can get a decent job out of it. I wasn't able to get the loan to become a cna only for whatever reason but 9000 to be a pct isnt too shabby if I end up in a hospital that will pay to make me a real nurse.

cost benefit analasys people, think long term

Not all RNs have a Bachelors degree. In all actuality, most RNs only have an Associates degree in nursing. So yes, you can become an RN for about $7000 - $9000 if you go to a community college. Only difference between a nurse with an Associates degree and a nurse with a Bachelors degree as far as work is concerned, is that you have to have a BSN to become a Charge Nurse or Nurse Manager. Also, nurses with a BSN earn more money than nurses with an ASN (not much though).

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.